Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,491 members, 7,850,724 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 08:04 AM

My Experience So Far Serving In Enugu State - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Experience So Far Serving In Enugu State (1179 Views)

Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far / Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far / Third Mainland Bridge Closure; What Is Your Experience So Far? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience So Far Serving In Enugu State by Faith063: 6:53pm On Nov 08, 2020
I'm a Corp member serving in Udenu LGA, Ibeagwa village to be precise, surrounded by villages such as Imilike-Agu and Ezimo Agu.
Ibeagwa is a rural community in Udenu local govt area of Enugu state with population estimate ranging from 2000 to 5000persons (Estimate based on number of buildings obtained using Google imagery and average household size). About 18mins drive from Obollo-Afor - the closest town, and 20-25mins drive from Nssuka which houses University of Nigeria. Ibeagwa is a cool and serene environment inhabited by people with good heart, yes they are nice; in fact, majority I met tried speaking in Yoruba so they could communicate with me, plus they are very quick to serve visitors food (lol). I noticed the major primary activity here is the production of Cashew nut from Cashew seed (they heat with fire, after which they break with hands).
However (SMH), Climate here is totally different from the Southwest, (guess we're fortunate) Rain stopped falling mid-October and I heard there was no rain until June/July when we had started harvesting maize in the Southwest. Meaning there is heat. Intense heat.
_I always thought I knew the definition of a remote area till I got here: a village whose major source of water is rainfall. It has only two boreholes and residents have to trek kilometres with their wheel barrows and kegs through a rugged route (terrain); a road filled with sand and hills.
_Service providers don't even try at all.Thanks to Airtel, we've got some breeze to surf the net, however, the highest download speed I've attained so far is 300kb/s. MTN, 9mobile and Glo are available for call at some locations.
_Electricity is 3days on, 4days off, except when a rich man is throwing a party. Lol.
_Sorry I've got to say this, seems their buildings are designed for short people, I've always got to bend my knees to enter my apartment.
_The collector road linking the villages are tarred but local access roads seems are death traps in disguise - booby trapped with sand. Often times, Motorcycle riders dance to the tune of sand to navigate through.
Oh less I forget, the village has no market, I had to go to neighboring village' market which is costly because commercial motorcycle is most available transport means
Truly truly I say to you, Enugu is in the hands of God. Survival mode activated.

1 Like

Re: My Experience So Far Serving In Enugu State by Ofemmanu1: 7:07pm On Nov 08, 2020
Potorpotor Jews won't like your review.
Re: My Experience So Far Serving In Enugu State by onward4life(m): 9:42pm On Nov 08, 2020
Enuff okpa for yu

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience So Far Serving In Enugu State by Faith063: 8:22am On Nov 09, 2020
onward4life:
Enuff okpa for yu
I'm waiting ooo
Re: My Experience So Far Serving In Enugu State by Faith063: 8:32am On Nov 09, 2020
Faith063:
I'm a Corp member serving in Udenu LGA, Ibeagwa village to be precise, surrounded by villages such as Imilike-Agu and Ezimo Agu.
Ibeagwa is a rural community in Udenu local govt area of Enugu state with population estimate ranging from 2000 to 5000persons (Estimate based on number of buildings obtained using Google imagery and average household size). About 18mins drive from Obollo-Afor - the closest town, and 20-25mins drive from Nssuka which houses University of Nigeria. Ibeagwa is a cool and serene environment inhabited by people with good heart, yes they are nice; in fact, majority I met tried speaking in Yoruba so they could communicate with me, plus they are very quick to serve visitors food (lol). I noticed the major primary activity here is the production of Cashew nut from Cashew seed (they heat with fire, after which they break with hands).
However (SMH), Climate here is totally different from the Southwest, (guess we're fortunate) Rain stopped falling mid-October and I heard there was no rain until June/July when we had started harvesting maize in the Southwest. Meaning there is heat. Intense heat.
_I always thought I knew the definition of a remote area till I got here: a village whose major source of water is rainfall. It has only two boreholes and residents have to trek kilometres with their wheel barrows and kegs through a rugged route (terrain); a road filled with sand and hills.
_Service providers don't even try at all.Thanks to Airtel, we've got some breeze to surf the net, however, the highest download speed I've attained so far is 300kb/s. MTN, 9mobile and Glo are available for call at some locations.
_Electricity is 3days on, 4days off, except when a rich man is throwing a party. Lol.
_Sorry I've got to say this, seems their buildings are designed for short people, I've always got to bend my knees to enter my apartment.
_The collector road linking the villages are tarred but local access roads seems are death traps in disguise - booby trapped with sand. Often times, Motorcycle riders dance to the tune of sand to navigate through.
Oh less I forget, the village has no market, I had to go to neighboring village' market which is costly because commercial motorcycle is most available transport means
Truly truly I say to you, Enugu is in the hands of God. Survival mode activated.

Re: My Experience So Far Serving In Enugu State by molybdenum0012: 9:47am On Nov 09, 2020
This your story reminds me of my experience in Enugu as Corp member as well in 2013 to 2014. I served in Isikwe Achi, Orji River lGA.

Most of your experience are similar to mine. But in all, Enugu people are good people, very accomodating and caring.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience So Far Serving In Enugu State by Larrycool1234(m): 4:25pm On Nov 09, 2020
This sums up my own experience too in Enugu. Igbo eti-eti LGA , ukehe village . One thing you can't take away from enugu people is there big love for visitors.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience So Far Serving In Enugu State by Shortcut2life: 6:44pm On Nov 09, 2020
Na that water own dey vex me pass ... 042 pikin ..
Re: My Experience So Far Serving In Enugu State by molbic(m): 9:14pm On Nov 09, 2020
well in Enugu state all the villages has Uno or Ulo and Agu and unfortunately to you ,you were posted in Agu ( imilike- Agu ) which means the remotest part of imilike village. in other words imilike agu or Agu is where every imilike indigene must have at least one or two plots of farm land .it is applicable in every village in Igbo land although people living in Agu are usually peasant farmers and as such they are usually poor.
Re: My Experience So Far Serving In Enugu State by hatakekakashi: 9:42pm On Nov 09, 2020
There are remote places like this in every state so what's special about this one
Re: My Experience So Far Serving In Enugu State by Faith063: 9:49pm On Nov 09, 2020
hatakekakashi:
There are remote places like this in every state so what's special about this one
Well, majority of remote areas I know has a definite market which people come from town to patronise, in this case the reverse is the case.
Remote areas I know will at least have POS for financial transactions, for this it isn't like that
Climate I mentioned earlier is not a characteristic of remote area, and issues with water is not a general problem, just stating what I've observed so far...
Re: My Experience So Far Serving In Enugu State by Homeboiy: 10:20pm On Nov 09, 2020
Faith03

In Igbo land we have 4 market days

Aside ogige market which is a daily market in Nsukka

That udenu Lg has two markets

Orie orba

And Afor obollo

Your in imilike agu side, they do go to orie orba

Or Ahor obollo.

We are peace loving people.

If u no de hear Igbo, we go speak the one wey u de hear so we can understand each other.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience So Far Serving In Enugu State by Faith063: 6:29am On Nov 10, 2020
Homeboiy:
Faith03

In Igbo land we have 4 market days

Aside ogige market which is a daily market in Nsukka

That udenu Lg has two markets

Orie orba

And Afor obollo

Your in imilike agu side, they do go to orie orba

Or Ahor obollo.

We are peace loving people.

If u no de hear Igbo, we go speak the one wey u de hear so we can understand each other.
Sha cum teach me Igbo make me sef understand my environment. grin
Re: My Experience So Far Serving In Enugu State by Homeboiy: 6:33am On Nov 10, 2020
Faith063:

Sha cum teach me Igbo make me sef understand my environment. grin

I no de Nsukka now

Find one small girl/boy there to teach u or be close to one old mama
Re: My Experience So Far Serving In Enugu State by Whois(m): 9:48am On Nov 10, 2020
I had the same experience in enugunato, uhueze Nenwe Town in Aninri LGA. For the first time I understood the meaning of village inside a village. They don't have good road, no water, no light in some close community (example is uduma), in fact no NEPA pole in uduma community (pronounced oldwoman)
Re: My Experience So Far Serving In Enugu State by VEXT: 1:04pm On Nov 10, 2020
Faith063:

Most of the people there are short with big waist.. Chai..chioma almost kill me that year.. My waist suffer grin
Re: My Experience So Far Serving In Enugu State by Faith063: 9:25pm On Nov 11, 2020
Homeboiy:

I no de Nsukka now

Find one small girl/boy there to teach u or be close to one old mama

sad

(1) (Reply)

Can A BSc Biochemistry Holder Go For Masters In Information Technology ? / Justwise, Why Was My Thread Deleted? / Coming To Germany

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.