Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,255 members, 7,811,712 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:50 PM

. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / . (1513 Views)

Pastor Leads Prayers Using A Goat As A Point Of Contact / Funny Prophecies For Nigeria In 2018. Please, Add Your Own! / Nairaland Please Say A Prayer For Benue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

. by Fvcknames: 3:53am On Nov 09, 2020

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: . by blackpanthar: 4:43am On Nov 09, 2020
Fvcknames:
Hello, I don't really know if this is the right section to post this. Forgive all errors as I don't see myself a writer.
I consider the universe to be pointless given that I believe death to be the last bus stop. I'm an existential and moral nihilist but I don't exactly follow the principles totally. Heck, I've barely read any philosophy books expect some writings of Marcus Aurelius which I tried to follow and failed woefully. If I can live by some of his principles I'd consider myself a god. Anybody with notes on how to do that can help (P.S: I know stoicism and nihilism are not the same)
Back to d matter. Given my beliefs I think about suicide now and then, usually when I'm down or stressed out. I tend to think the negative emotions, stress and pain are simply not worth it. Other times when I'm happy or just chilled I simply don't think about it or just want to live life to its "natural" end. The only reason I haven't killed myself when I'm feeling suicidal is because I simply don't have the balls to do it. I've literally searched on different ways to end it in the past but apparently I'm too much of a bitch to select an option. I usually just wallow in sorrow till that phase passes and I can ignore the meaninglessness of it all. I'm guessing it's just my evolutionary drive to survive that makes me bitch out from ending it all. Given that I still find myself still fighting in this battle called life, one of my short term aims is making a lot of money. I know, ironic.
The reasoning goes like this; As I said earlier, most of my suicidal thoughts come from when I'm feeling down or worked up and this happens every time given that I'm a medical student. Before the lockdown, I have to wake up early everyday to go to the hospital, see a lot of people suffer from different ailments, come back feeling stressed up with lots of things to read up on before the next day. Attendance is taken pretty seriously so skipping classes to take a break is hardly an option. Given the time wasted due to the lockdown, it isn't going to get easier. And after graduating, it's going to get a lot harder and stressful. I'm still going to have to prepare for fucking exams to become an SR and consultant. It might be that my love for the course is simply not strong enough but my problems don't lie with the course it self but rather with having to wake up so early everyday, finishing so late and have someone give me shit all day all in the name of hierarchy. Basically I love independence, that's where the money comes in. If I had someone that could get me a bungalow and 50k per month without doing any work, believe me I'll be the happiest man on earth but life doesn't work like that and that is not exactly being independent so I have a dumb plan to just get enough money to go north or preferably leave the country to another african country that is not on the brink of collapsing and just start a cattle ranch there or something like that. It's not the money I'm looking for per say but the independence it brings. I basically just want to be able to wake up when I want to and then decide to do some shit like gardening or just literally sitting at a lake smoking a blunt while staring at my cows. That seems like little to ask for and too much to ask for at the same time. If I'm ever able to achieve anything close to this, it doesn't change my views on nihilism, it simply wouldn't make me want to kill myself every other day.
I don't plan on marrying right now because it'll be hard to see someone down with a plan like this and I don't want my happiness to be dependent on another person. I also don't want a child given that I don't want to bring a child into this world even if I'm in a 1st world country. If genies existed, my only wish would be to have never existed and I don't want to have a child only for him or her to wish the same. I know it's not certain for that to happen but I'll rather not take the risk (there are other reasons I don't want to have kids or marry but they are unrelated to the topic).
If I'm able to achieve most of the things I plan on, I hope along the way I finally have the balls to end it on my own terms because I really do not want to live past the age of 72. Hopefully euthanasia would become more accessible for the elderly (a long shot) so it can be pretty straight forward for me. I've seen the suffering that old people pass through and if I'll be anything like I am now, I'll be back to being depressed once I'm passing through certain health challenges so I rather end it before then than go through a new and improved round of suffering. I don't believe there would be anything I wouldn't have done by 72 that I'll still plan on doing after then so hopefully I should be able to pull the trigger by then (easier said than done).
I'm aware that a lot of things can change before then but it'll take one hell of an experience and I'll love to see that happen.
Apparently, this turned out to be some sort of rant, but I'll love to hear from nihilists and people with other philosophical views on how they live their lives

I feel u should reconsider, suicide is also pointless because u do not have facts of what lies beyond..... also I know a way u can earn 50k monthly without working.... INVESTING...

Seriously i feel u are just bored of routine and scared of being broke.

BRO never consider ending ur life..... u can always change profession or environment

1 Like

Re: . by Kobojunkie: 4:45am On Nov 09, 2020
Friend, I think you would benefit more from visiting a doctor for help with your mental condition. I suspect that you struggle with clinical depression (with suicidal ideations) and have probably not been receiving treatment for it.
I am at least relieved you are a nihilist, so at least the hurdle, as far as accepting that it is ok to be broken and need fixing by a professional, shouldn't be that great as compared to say the case of a religionist doing the same. When it comes to issues of the mind, it is vital that you realize that there is a problem that needs to be treated. Fortunately, people with this condition can go on to having a better quality of life. smiley
Re: . by Fvcknames: 8:22am On Nov 09, 2020

1 Like

Re: . by Fvcknames: 8:28am On Nov 09, 2020

2 Likes

Re: . by LordReed(m): 11:32am On Nov 09, 2020
Fvcknames:
Hello, I don't really know if this is the right section to post this. Forgive all errors as I don't see myself a writer.
I consider the universe to be pointless given that I believe death to be the last bus stop. I'm an existential and moral nihilist but I don't exactly follow the principles totally. Heck, I've barely read any philosophy books expect some writings of Marcus Aurelius which I tried to follow and failed woefully. If I can live by some of his principles I'd consider myself a god. Anybody with notes on how to do that can help (P.S: I know stoicism and nihilism are not the same)
Back to d matter. Given my beliefs I think about suicide now and then, usually when I'm down or stressed out. I tend to think the negative emotions, stress and pain are simply not worth it. Other times when I'm happy or just chilled I simply don't think about it or just want to live life to its "natural" end. The only reason I haven't killed myself when I'm feeling suicidal is because I simply don't have the balls to do it. I've literally searched on different ways to end it in the past but apparently I'm too much of a bitch to select an option. I usually just wallow in sorrow till that phase passes and I can ignore the meaninglessness of it all. I'm guessing it's just my evolutionary drive to survive that makes me bitch out from ending it all. Given that I still find myself still fighting in this battle called life, one of my short term aims is making a lot of money. I know, ironic.
The reasoning goes like this; As I said earlier, most of my suicidal thoughts come from when I'm feeling down or worked up and this happens every time given that I'm a medical student. Before the lockdown, I have to wake up early everyday to go to the hospital, see a lot of people suffer from different ailments, come back feeling stressed up with lots of things to read up on before the next day. Attendance is taken pretty seriously so skipping classes to take a break is hardly an option. Given the time wasted due to the lockdown, it isn't going to get easier. And after graduating, it's going to get a lot harder and stressful. I'm still going to have to prepare for fucking exams to become an SR and consultant. It might be that my love for the course is simply not strong enough but my problems don't lie with the course it self but rather with having to wake up so early everyday, finishing so late and have someone give me shit all day all in the name of hierarchy. Basically I love independence, that's where the money comes in. If I had someone that could get me a bungalow and 50k per month without doing any work, believe me I'll be the happiest man on earth but life doesn't work like that and that is not exactly being independent so I have a dumb plan to just get enough money to go north or preferably leave the country to another african country that is not on the brink of collapsing and just start a cattle ranch there or something like that. It's not the money I'm looking for per say but the independence it brings. I basically just want to be able to wake up when I want to and then decide to do some shit like gardening or just literally sitting at a lake smoking a blunt while staring at my cows. That seems like little to ask for and too much to ask for at the same time. If I'm ever able to achieve anything close to this, it doesn't change my views on nihilism, it simply wouldn't make me want to kill myself every other day.
I don't plan on marrying right now because it'll be hard to see someone down with a plan like this and I don't want my happiness to be dependent on another person. I also don't want a child given that I don't want to bring a child into this world even if I'm in a 1st world country. If genies existed, my only wish would be to have never existed and I don't want to have a child only for him or her to wish the same. I know it's not certain for that to happen but I'll rather not take the risk (there are other reasons I don't want to have kids or marry but they are unrelated to the topic).
If I'm able to achieve most of the things I plan on, I hope along the way I finally have the balls to end it on my own terms because I really do not want to live past the age of 72. Hopefully euthanasia would become more accessible for the elderly (a long shot) so it can be pretty straight forward for me. I've seen the suffering that old people pass through and if I'll be anything like I am now, I'll be back to being depressed once I'm passing through certain health challenges so I rather end it before then than go through a new and improved round of suffering. I don't believe there would be anything I wouldn't have done by 72 that I'll still plan on doing after then so hopefully I should be able to pull the trigger by then (easier said than done).
I'm aware that a lot of things can change before then but it'll take one hell of an experience and I'll love to see that happen.
Apparently, this turned out to be some sort of rant, but I'll love to hear from nihilists and people with other philosophical views on how they live their lives

Hmmmm, I am not a nihilist nor do I even think nihilism is a good position. Also Marcus Aurelius was not a nihilist, he was a stoic so may be thats why you couldn't keep up. On the other hand I don't think philosophers would want you to make a doctrine out of their works, rather they provide a guide for you to chart your own course through life. May be you are being too hard on yourself thinking there are some rules you must follow. I think you should ease up, take stock of what you do have and work with it. Layer your own expectations with your own capabilities and stop trying to live up to other peoples ideals, no one is perfect not even the philosophers themselves.

Yeah sure there probably is no grand purpose to the universe but who says you can't create one for yourself? As long as it is not seeking to harm others or yourself have at it. Your purpose can be as simple as having a taste of every food in world. Buddy create one and make it yours.

Finally, if your depression has lasted for more than 2 weeks, seek help. Believe me you'll be glad you did.
Re: . by Fvcknames: 1:07pm On Nov 09, 2020

1 Like

Re: . by LordReed(m): 1:28pm On Nov 09, 2020
Fvcknames:

Thanks.
I initially pointed out that I knew stoicism was different from nihilism. I'm just intrigued by some of the main values of stoicism. I never plan to adhere to a philosophical view totally. For example with stoicism there are many concepts that simply don't make sense to me. When I say I'd like to have the mindset of a stoicist and ask for tips, I only mean their ability to take life as it goes, how they choose to react to pleasure and challenges and things like that. Basically the idea that the most contented person is the richest person appeals to me, nothing more. My feeling suicidal has nothing to do with trying my best to hold onto a certain philosophical view point. I say I'm a nihilist not because I read about it somewhere and decided that is how I wanted to live my life but because when I came accross it, that was what aligned with my reasoning at the point in time, I'm not exactly trying to be a philosopher.

I do enjoy living (to an extent) half of the time. I enjoy the ups and downs of supporting my football team, I enjoy food, music..... so I'm not exactly crying for help. I'll just like to other people's point of views and how they make meaning of it all.

Ah that's fine then. I suggest you look into the Epicurean philosophy then. IMO it has better well rounded tenets.
Re: . by Fvcknames: 1:46pm On Nov 09, 2020
LordReed:

Ah that's fine then. I suggest you look into the Epicurean philosophy then. IMO it has better well rounded tenets.
Just had a look and I'll delve a bit deeper. It makes a lot of sense tho.
Re: . by Nobody: 2:54pm On Nov 09, 2020
Fvcknames:

Just had a look and I'll delve a bit deeper. It makes a lot of sense tho.
LordReed made a number of salient points that I think you can find helpful (though I don't agree with all his points).

The Epicurean philosophy is beneficial as he said.

However, instead of devoting oneself to a specific philosophy, I think it's wiser to study various philosophies, pick reasonable points from the beneficial ones, and avoid the dangerous ones

I feel a better approach to life is to develop one's personal philosophy from the benefits of various philosophies with depth, instead of considering a specific philosophy as a doctrine or a life guide.

This is because no philosophy is the ultimate or perfect, since all of them are man-made.

The philosophies we admire and learn shape our lives.

Nihilism can be a dangerous philosophy for an average Nigerian youth, who is struggling with finances, bad governance, and other ills in this part of the world.

While life appears as if it has no meaning or purpose to some, I don't think it's.

Then, I feel it's wiser to find a purpose for one's life, and look for ways to give meaning to one's life.

Life is a product of our actions, decisions, and we're co-creators of our realities.

Also, life is a lot deeper than the way science or religion paints it.

For any average human, what's unknown far outweighs what's known.

If you follow scientific research on a number of issues, such as cosmology, nature of matter, you will know that the vast majority of what constitutes the universe is yet to be discovered or even explored.

So, a person can't be 100% sure existence ends immediately an individual dies.

Philosophies such as those of religion (Muhammad's, Jesus', etc.) do more harm than good overall because of their numerous superstitious, self-limiting beliefs.

Nihilism can also be a dangerous philosophy for an average person struggling with hard times.

Apart from the Epicurean philosophy, the Otemic philosophy is also a good one. If you're interested in it, you can get OtemAtum's Book of Universal History (the PDF) or go through his threads.

His explanations of various concepts in religion have a lot of depth and are quite reasonable.
Re: . by Fvcknames: 4:18pm On Nov 09, 2020
Re: . by Nobody: 5:04pm On Nov 09, 2020
Fvcknames:

I'm not trying to live my life strictly according to a particular philosophy. I just hold the view that life is devoid of meaning. I guess you can only see nihilism as dangerous as an outsider (probably true for most beliefs) because at the end of the day nothing matters so suicide is not exactly seen as negative end (there's no negative end).
I'll check out the Otemic philosophy for recreation at first then see what happens.
Basically, what I'm asking is for people to share the lense through which they view life. I've done that and I'll like to hear about yours. It seems quite peculiar
Okay. My own stance is life has meaning, purpose. A person creates their reality (whether consciously or unconsciously) by their beliefs, actions, decisions.

Life is all about experience, discovery. At the end of the day, it's the experience one gets in a particular endeavor or experiences one gets in life that really matter, not material acquisitions.

What an average person sees as reality is what the brain tells him/her, not what really exists.

Reality exists on multiple levels, physical, astral (via lucid dreams, OOBE), mental, and spiritual.

The core of a human is the soul (consciousness), and the brain is an organ of the soul.

As it's said in hermetic philosophy, the universe is mental. What we see as reality (the fleeting life) is only a manifestation of the inner universe, i.e. the physical universe is a sort of projected reality of the inner universe, not bound by time and space.

Everything starts from within (one's inner world). Thus, it's a person (a soul) that gives meaning or purpose to their life on earth, which is only a tiny fragment of the person's existence (as life has no end and goes on after death in other universes or via reincarnation to earth).

There are many aspects of reality that are far deeper than the physical, which scientists are yet to discover.

That something can't be measured as of yet doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Anyone that's familiar with the history of science will understand this point.

That's my own view (philosophy) about life.
Re: . by Dtruthspeaker: 5:12pm On Nov 09, 2020
Philosophy is like choosing which Transporter shall take you to your destination or which you hope will take you to your destination, whether you enjoy the trip or not, is a different matter and whether you get to your destination is another different matter.
Re: . by Fvcknames: 5:27pm On Nov 09, 2020
Re: . by Fvcknames: 5:28pm On Nov 09, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:
Philosophy is like choosing which Transporter shall take you to your destination or which you hope will take you to your destination, whether you enjoy the trip or not!
And what transporter did you choose?
Re: . by johnhood(m): 5:57pm On Nov 09, 2020
Most of what you shared here is what I feel except that I want to make a lot of money to touch humanity immensely.
Re: . by Dtruthspeaker: 6:27pm On Nov 09, 2020
Fvcknames:

And what transporter did you choose?

I chose The Lord Jesus Christ's motors! grin
Re: . by Fvcknames: 6:34pm On Nov 09, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

I chose The Lord Jesus Christ's motors! grin

grin grin na so
Re: . by Fvcknames: 6:37pm On Nov 09, 2020
Re: . by Dtruthspeaker: 6:39pm On Nov 09, 2020
Fvcknames:

grin grin na so

Bros, na so oh, I love myself and enjoyment 3musch
Re: . by Dtruthspeaker: 6:40pm On Nov 09, 2020
Fvcknames:

Yeah. I don't know about immensely, but I'll definitely do a lot of giving. I always try to do the best I can but I don't consider myself the most generous person. It's definitely something to work on.

You won't!

You think you will but you won't!

And you know this your statement "I consider the universe to be pointless given that I believe death to be the last bus stop" is a lie too.
Re: . by Nobody: 6:41pm On Nov 09, 2020
Fvcknames:

That's cool. From my perspective there appears to be some big claims in your write up but I'm guessing I'll never understand unless I go through the Otemic philosophy. For example, you say life continues after 'death' either in another universe or reincarnation back to earth but they are not supported by science (yet) because they've not been measured or proven experimentally. If these cannot be ascertained scientifically, what deductions were made to come to this conclusion.
There are many things that can't be proven scientifically or measured/detected yet but they exist, and there's evidence for them.

The real aspect of a person is the soul (consciousness), and that part never dies. It is only the body, which is the temporal, ephemeral aspect that experiences biological death.

In reality, there's really no death as what we see as death is only a translation of consciousness (of a soul) to another realm (i.e. death is soul transition).

There are deeper aspects of reality that scientists have only started to get hints about.

"The universe we can see is only a fraction of the great cosmic beyond. Galaxies, stars, planets, humans, trees — all of it comprises just 5% of the energy and matter in the universe.

"Among tangible matter, as opposed to the mysterious cosmic rending force called dark energy, only about 15% is the stuff we can detect. As for the rest, it comes in the unknown form known as dark matter." https://www.quantamagazine.org/harvard-cosmologist-cora-dvorkin-dreams-in-dark-matter-20201105/

That's a quote from a recent study on dark matter and shares the opinion of many cosmologists and astrophysicists about the observable universe and matter.

In some esoteric philosophies (including Otemic philosophy as well), a person has dual-form: flesh (matter, the body) and light (the soul, a kind of wave).

Most of what's been known about a human in science is the physical (flesh) aspect. A person is also a light (the soul, a kind of wave that's extremely hard to detect and measure).

People that do OOBE would have seen their light form, which has an astral body, known as the spirit. Also, people that have experienced NDE would have seen it as well.

There are several papers on OOBE, and various projects have been organized by some scientists to study it.

Also, there's already a theoretical background in Physics for this duality, known as wave-particle duality.

In the future, scientists will record breakthroughs about these things, including dark matter and dark energy, which are also extremely hard to detect and measure.

According to some scientists, there are multiple universes (multiverse). While various studies have been published about this concept over the past 5 decades, no evidence has been seen yet proving the hypothesis right.

However in some philosophies (such as the Otemic), a universe exists before the current one (i.e. before the Big Bang). In the Otemic philosophy, there are infinite number of universes, created by big bangs that are still happening.

According to that philosophy, the sole purpose of existence is to discover and explore these universes. Or a soul can choose to be reincarnated back to earth.

My own opinion is that ours isn't the only universe in existence.

As regards reincarnation, it's hard to prove it's real to a sceptic.

My own stance is that it's real.

A number of scientists have studied the concept of reincarnation.

Ian Stevenson and Jim B. Tucker are popular scientists that posit reincarnation does happen.

You can check out some studies of those experts:

1. https://www.scribd.com/doc/36464062/Ian-Stevenson-Where-Reincarnation-and-Biology-Intersect
2. https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/bering-in-mind/ian-stevensone28099s-case-for-the-afterlife-are-we-e28098skepticse28099-really-just-cynics/
3. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_B._Tucker

Some common proofs for reincarnation:
1. https://www.liveabout.com/reincarnation-best-evidence-2593151
2. https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/716499/reincarnation-REAL-proof-life-after-death/amp

Reincarnation is a concept in almost all religions around the world (whether directly or indirectly) and in many cultures worldwide.

While each of those religions contains a lot of superstitious beliefs, I feel a handful of those beliefs are real. These are reincarnation, soul (consciousness), spirit (the astral body of a person).

Things like ghosts, demons don't exist.

Spirits of the dead belong in other realms and don't intervene in the physical worlds.
Re: . by Fvcknames: 6:44pm On Nov 09, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

You won't!

You think you will but you won't!

Lol, If u say so. Just curious as to why u think so
Re: . by fredwill1357(m): 6:48pm On Nov 09, 2020
Yeah, am a nihilist, I believe everything is meaningless, the purpose of my life cur
Fvcknames:

OK chairboss cheesy
Re: . by johnhood(m): 6:51pm On Nov 09, 2020
Fvcknames:

Yeah. I don't know about immensely, but I'll definitely do a lot of giving. I always try to do the best I can but I don't consider myself the most generous person. It's definitely something to work on.

I always feel sorry for people and feel like I have to make money to help poor people. But I have not been able to take care of myself and my mother and siblings talkmore of others. When I think about it I will always enter depressed.
Re: . by Dtruthspeaker: 6:52pm On Nov 09, 2020
Fvcknames:

Lol, If u say so. Just curious as to why u think so

grin There is something that happens, actually, a lot that happens to people when they begin to have more money to spend and one of them is that they hate giving and they must hate to do so.
Re: . by Dtruthspeaker: 6:55pm On Nov 09, 2020
johnhood:

I always feel sorry for people and feel like I have to make money to help poor people. But I have not been able to take care of myself and my mother and siblings talkmore of others. When I think about it I will always enter depressed.

People without money, do not and can not know about having money. They are experts in the knowledge of "not having money" than in having money.
Re: . by Fvcknames: 6:58pm On Nov 09, 2020
Re: . by Nobody: 7:01pm On Nov 09, 2020
Fvcknames:

This is an interesting read but there are a lot of things I simply don't agree with. I wouldn't mind having a discussion on another thread because I don't want to start an argument here. Till then, stay blessed.
Sure, that's normal. Stay blessed, too.
Re: . by Fvcknames: 7:02pm On Nov 09, 2020
johnhood:

Damn bro, we need more people like you in the world. I always wonder how humans can have such different levels of empathy. Hopefully you get what you wish for so others can benefit from you
Re: . by Fvcknames: 7:06pm On Nov 09, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

People without money, do not and can not know about having money. They are experts in the knowledge of "not having money" than in having money.
Lolz. Tbh I agree with you. I could be a completely changed man once money starts coming in because I know a lot of rich douchebags did not think they'll be douchebags when they were broke. I'm simply stating what I'll do with my current mentality and hopefully that wouldn't change.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Indoctrination As A Mechanism Of Psychological Manipulation In Religion / Is Christianity And Islam Against Men Weaving And Braiding Their Hair? / Does God Create Evil?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.