Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,124 members, 7,811,160 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:59 AM

China remains one of the few major countries yet to congratulate Biden - CNN - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / China remains one of the few major countries yet to congratulate Biden - CNN (1550 Views)

Leaders Slowest To Congratulate Biden May Be His Big Worries / It’s Too Early To Congratulate Biden - Obrador, Mexican President / Kamala Harris Calls Joe Biden To Congratulate Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

China remains one of the few major countries yet to congratulate Biden - CNN by KEVIND: 12:48pm On Nov 09, 2020
Hong Kong(CNN)
The Chinese government on Monday sidestepped questions on when it would congratulate United States President-elect Joe Biden on his election victory, with a Foreign Ministry spokesman saying only that China would act in "accordance with international practice."

More than 24 hours after US media declared Biden victorious, China remains one of the few major countries yet to send a message of congratulations to Biden and his team on their defeat of Donald Trump, leaving many to speculate whether officials there are waiting for the outgoing president to concede defeat.

And with two months to go until Trump leaves office, Beijing may want to avoid anything that could further destabilize US-China relations.

Speaking at a regular press briefing in Beijing Monday, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin said that China had "noted" Biden's declaration of victory.

"We understand that the outcome of the general election will be determined in accordance with the laws and procedures of the United States," said Wang in response to CNN's questions. "We will handle the issue of the statement (of congratulations) in accordance with international practice."

Wang did not elaborate what "international practice" might involve, especially given the large number of nations who have already congratulated Biden, including the United Kingdom, Australia, Israel, France and Germany.

Beijing's apparent unwillingness to offer a firm answer on the election result comes as Chinese state-run media exhibited a cautious optimism that a Biden presidency might help reset US-China relations, which have deteriorated markedly during Trump's time in office.

In an editorial published Sunday, state-run newspaper the China Daily said that relations could be "reset for the better," especially on trade, where the two countries have waged a economically damaging two-year long trade war with no end in sight.

"By adhering to this approach and strengthening the ballast of their trade ties, the two countries can regain the generally positive momentum that has characterized their relations over the past four decades," the editorial said.

China's government-backed nationalist tabloid the Global Times published an editorial titled, "Drop illusions over China-US relations, but don't give up efforts," in which it recommended that Beijing "communicate with the Biden team as thoroughly as it can, making greater joint efforts to recover China-US relations to a state of great predictability."

However, it concluded by noting that in the end, China could rely only on itself. "China must become a country the US cannot suppress or destabilize, and make it that cooperation with China is the best option for the US to realize its national interests," the editorial said.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/11/09/asia/china-us-election-biden-trump-congratulations-intl-hnk/index.html
Re: China remains one of the few major countries yet to congratulate Biden - CNN by YoonSung57: 12:59pm On Nov 09, 2020
cool
Re: China remains one of the few major countries yet to congratulate Biden - CNN by Jeromejnr(m): 1:01pm On Nov 09, 2020
Why should they congratulate someone who has not won?

The media are truly a cancer in this generation. Tuning people's brains to think a certain way.

5 Likes

Re: China remains one of the few major countries yet to congratulate Biden - CNN by Hyperchi(m): 1:12pm On Nov 09, 2020
they are taking their time not to make mistake, just like Mexico too
Re: China remains one of the few major countries yet to congratulate Biden - CNN by valentineuwakwe(m): 1:17pm On Nov 09, 2020
Yes and I support there stands on these.The election is far from being over and most people forget same thing applies in 2016 when Hilary Clinton won trump in the popular votes but lost at the electoral college...

same thing might play again.....but let's see how it goes. China can only send a message after all elections dispute have been managed not ours that rushed to give a congratulatory message
Re: China remains one of the few major countries yet to congratulate Biden - CNN by LegendAnselm: 1:39pm On Nov 09, 2020
valentineuwakwe:
Yes and I support there stands on these.The election is far from being over and most people forget same thing applies in 2016 when Hilary Clinton won trump in the popular votes but lost at the electoral college...

same thing might play again.....but let's see how it goes. China can only send a message after all elections dispute have been managed not ours that rushed to give a congratulatory message
that is not the reason why china av not congratulate biden. Hav u forgoten that during the election period chinese people were caught with fake ID. which they ar using to vot against trump. china was involved in the late coming mail. china work had to rig election against trump. now they ar trying to play wise.

2 Likes

Re: China remains one of the few major countries yet to congratulate Biden - CNN by Throwback: 1:43pm On Nov 09, 2020
Jeromejnr:
Why should they congratulate someone who has not won?

The media are truly a cancer in this generation. Tuning people's brains to think a certain way.

Why has Israel that Trump supported to have the American embassy moved to the disputed Jerusalem, part of the nations that have already congratulated Biden?

Why has the Republican Party leaning Fox News also declared Biden the winner with even more electoral college votes than what CNN projected?

Why is Trump's son-in-law and senior adviser, Jared Kushner, who is a Jew, prevailing on Trump to accept defeat?

Why did the last Republican President of US prior to Trump , George W Bush, congratulate Joe Biden?

2 Likes

Re: China remains one of the few major countries yet to congratulate Biden - CNN by kingxsamz(m): 7:55pm On Nov 09, 2020
Throwback:

Why has Israel that Trump supported to have the American embassy moved to the disputed Jerusalem, part of the nations that have already congratulated Biden?

Why has the Republican Party leaning Fox News also declared Biden the winner with even more electoral college votes than what CNN projected?

Why is Trump's son-in-law and senior adviser, Jared Kushner, who is a Jew, prevailing on Trump to accept defeat?

Why did the last Republican President of US prior to Trump , George W Bush, congratulate Joe Biden?

Why didn't he @jeromejnr use this same energy to criticize Trump when Trump declared himself winner in 2016, even before everything was concluded?

Re: China remains one of the few major countries yet to congratulate Biden - CNN by Jeromejnr(m): 8:20pm On Nov 09, 2020
kingxsamz:

Why didn't he @jeromejnr use this same energy to criticize Trump when Trump declared himself winner in 2016, even before everything was concluded?

But Trump was the winner na already. Fair and square. Even the Dems did not argue.

Why hasn't the electoral board certified Biden as president since y'all along with the Liberal media have declared him president.

Perhaps because the liberal media ain't feeding you full info and the truth.

Even Sky news is calling them out on their crap.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: China remains one of the few major countries yet to congratulate Biden - CNN by kingxsamz(m): 8:34pm On Nov 09, 2020
Jeromejnr:

But Trump was the winner na already. Fair and square. Even the Dems did not argue.

Why hasn't the electoral board certified Biden as president since y'all along with the Liberal media have declared him president.

Perhaps because the liberal media ain't feeding you full info and the truth.

Even Sky news is calling them out on their crap.

Lol, hypocrite.
"You're okay with Trump declaring himself winner even when it's not been certified, but you have a problem with Joe Biden doing the same.
Does the electoral board certify a presidential candidate the winner a day after election?
Re: China remains one of the few major countries yet to congratulate Biden - CNN by kingxsamz(m): 8:36pm On Nov 09, 2020

Re: China remains one of the few major countries yet to congratulate Biden - CNN by Jeromejnr(m): 8:49pm On Nov 09, 2020
kingxsamz:

Lol, hypocrite.
"You're okay with Trump declaring himself winner even when it's not been certified, but you have a problem with Joe Biden doing the same.
Does the electoral board certify a presidential candidate the winner a day after election?

I see your strawman tactics.

Putting words in my mouth, that were never there.

First of all, I never ever said anywhere, that I had a problem with Joe declaring himself the winner. You should expect that from contestants at a narena. We see such in Boxing, wrestling e.t.c.

The problem I have is when the media themselves, declare a winner before the game is over.

Imagine in a game of football, Sky Sports declares Man UTd has taken the Champions league successfully, and pushed that narrative, and tells their opponent to concede before they even won their finals.

Does that make sense?

Joe and Trump can say whatever. But not the media who has influence over their sheep.

And you are part of the sheep. Smart people like the Mexican president wait till the actual end of the elections. Especially when it is being contested at the courts.

So If Trump ends up winning at the court, won't your president have embarrassed himself after prematurely congratulating Biden?

You think Trump isn't watching. Trump just fired his defence secretary some minutes ago BTW.

Many more to come when he wins. He will drain that swamp.

1 Like

Re: China remains one of the few major countries yet to congratulate Biden - CNN by kingxsamz(m): 9:16pm On Nov 09, 2020
Jeromejnr:

I see your strawman tactics.

Putting words in my mouth, that were never there.

First of all, I never ever said anywhere, that I had a problem with Joe declaring himself the winner. You should expect that from contestants at a narena. We see such in Boxing, wrestling e.t.c.

The problem I have is when the media themselves, declare a winner before the game is over.

Imagine in a game of football, Sky Sports declares Man UTd has taken the Champions league successfully, and pushed that narrative, and tells their opponent to concede before they even won their finals.

Does that make sense?

Joe and Trump can say whatever. But not the media who has influence over their sheep.

And you are part of the sheep. Smart people like the Mexican president wait till the actual end of the elections. Especially when it is being contested at the courts.

So If Trump ends up winning at the court, won't your president have embarrassed himself after prematurely congratulating Biden?

You think Trump isn't watching. Trump just fired his defence secretary some minutes ago BTW.

Many more to come when he wins. He will drain that swamp.

Lol... So you don't have a problem with Trump declaring himself the winner? But you have a problem with the media? Didn't Trump also declare himself the winner just in the middle of the election? Shey you complain? grin
Didn't the media also declare Trump the winner in 2016? Or would you deny that?
That's why I called you a hypocrite.
Did you use this same energy to criticize the media when Trump was declared the winner in 2016? grin
And no, I'm not part of any sheep. I'm just an observer. And I don't give af about Biden or Trump, or whatever happens to them.
And yes, I know Biden is not the winner, so you can save your frustrations and tears for later. You'll need it.

Re: China remains one of the few major countries yet to congratulate Biden - CNN by Jeromejnr(m): 9:18pm On Nov 09, 2020
kingxsamz:

Lol... So you don't have a problem with Trump declaring himself the winner? But you have a problem with the media? Didn't Trump also declare himself the winner just in the middle of the election? Shey you complain? grin
Didn't the media also declare Trump the winner in 2016? Or would you deny that?
That's why I called you a hypocrite.
Did you use this same energy to criticize the media when Trump was declared the winner in 2016? grin
And no, I'm not part of any sheep. I'm just an observer. And I don't give af about Biden or Trump, or whatever happens to them.
And yes, I know Biden is not the winner, so you van save your frustrations and tears for later. You'll need it.

Uhm..no, the media did not declare Trump winner in 2016 until after the counts.

BTW, e be like say u dey change mouth small
Knowing Trump might win.

1 Like

Re: China remains one of the few major countries yet to congratulate Biden - CNN by kingxsamz(m): 9:22pm On Nov 09, 2020
Jeromejnr:

Uhm..no, the media did not declare Trump winner in 2016 until after the counts.

grin grin

No be the same election I watch? grin grin
Hypocrite.
You see nothing wrong in Trump declaring himself winner even though the election was not concluded. But you have problem with the media for doing the same thing. Hope you know Trump has 88million followers, and it's wrong to make such claims to an audience like that.
You go dey alright las las.

Re: China remains one of the few major countries yet to congratulate Biden - CNN by kingxsamz(m): 9:24pm On Nov 09, 2020
Jeromejnr:

BTW, e be like say u dey change mouth small
Knowing Trump might win.

grin
Change mouth how?
Oh because I said I don't give af about Biden?
It's true na.
I want him to win so you religious fanatics can rest once and for all. And yes, he'd win.
Re: China remains one of the few major countries yet to congratulate Biden - CNN by Jeromejnr(m): 9:25pm On Nov 09, 2020
kingxsamz:

grin grin

No be the same election I watch? grin grin
Hypocrite.
You see nothing wrong in Trump declaring himself winner even though the election was not concluded. But you have problem with the media for doing the same thing. Hope you know Trump has 88million followers, and it's wrong to make such claims to an audience like that.
You go dey alright las las.

Stop trying to force me being a hypocrite na. Shuoo.

Why you dey lie. The media did not. People that were busy mocking Trump and were shocked at the results.
Re: China remains one of the few major countries yet to congratulate Biden - CNN by Jeromejnr(m): 9:26pm On Nov 09, 2020
kingxsamz:

grin
Change mouth how?
Oh because I said I don't give af about Biden?
It's true na.
I want him to win so you religious fanatics can rest once and for all. And yes, he'd win.

January 20th is coming Sir.
Re: China remains one of the few major countries yet to congratulate Biden - CNN by kingxsamz(m): 9:31pm On Nov 09, 2020
Jeromejnr:

Stop trying to force me being a hypocrite na. Shuoo.

Why you dey lie. The media did not. People that were busy mocking Trump and were shocked at the results.
Your antics are glaring. And you're living in self denial.
You're a religious bigot, a Trump supporter because of some prophecy and a hypocrite.
You chose what to hate and what to like even though the scenarios are similar.
You switch when it doesn't favor you, and you applaud when it suits you. grin
If you didn't have a problem with Trump declaring himself winner of an election that hasn't gone halfway, then you shouldn't have a problem with the media doing the same thing
And besides, how did you know the media didn't declare Trump winner in 2016? Did you watch all news outlets, read every news paper and click every blog?

Re: China remains one of the few major countries yet to congratulate Biden - CNN by Jeromejnr(m): 9:56pm On Nov 09, 2020
kingxsamz:

Your antics are glaring. And you're living in self denial.
You're a religious bigot, a Trump supporter because of some prophecy and a hypocrite.
You chose what to hate and what to like even though the scenarios are similar.
You switch when it doesn't favor you, and you applaud when it suits you. grin
If you didn't have a problem with Trump declaring himself winner of an election that hasn't gone halfway, then you shouldn't have a problem with the media doing the same thing
And besides, how did you know the media didn't declare Trump winner in 2016? Did you watch all news outlets, read every news paper and click every blog?

Your argument no even make sense again.

You are just dishing out baseless claims.

But I will just say, as I said earlier on the media ( the media influence on the sheep). That's Associated press, the mainstream media with huge following. Not some random blog people hardly know about.

1 Like

Re: China remains one of the few major countries yet to congratulate Biden - CNN by kingxsamz(m): 10:05pm On Nov 09, 2020
Jeromejnr:

Your argument no even make sense again.

You are just dishing out baseless claims.

But I will just say, as I said earlier on the media ( the media influence on the sheep). That's Associated press, the mainstream media with huge following. Not some random blog people hardly know about.

But Trump also has a huge following too nw. grin
Why are you pissed off at the media but not pissed off at Trump, even though they did the same thing. (False claim).
Lol, you're pointless. grin
Re: China remains one of the few major countries yet to congratulate Biden - CNN by Jeromejnr(m): 10:32pm On Nov 09, 2020
kingxsamz:

But Trump also has a huge following too nw. grin
Why are you pissed off at the media but not pissed off at Trump, even though they did the same thing. (False claim).
Lol, you're pointless. grin

I am sure you are even confused as to the point you yourself is tryna drive at.

1 Like

Re: China remains one of the few major countries yet to congratulate Biden - CNN by kingxsamz(m): 10:35pm On Nov 09, 2020
Jeromejnr:

I am sure you are even confused as to the point you yourself is tryna drive at.

No, you're just a hypocrite. cheesy
Re: China remains one of the few major countries yet to congratulate Biden - CNN by Jeromejnr(m): 12:35pm On Nov 10, 2020
kingxsamz:

No, you're just a hypocrite. cheesy

Bros how far na, dem don start to dey deduct points.

Religious nut init.
Re: China remains one of the few major countries yet to congratulate Biden - CNN by kingxsamz(m): 1:08pm On Nov 10, 2020
Jeromejnr:

Bros how far na, dem don start to dey deduct points.

Religious nut init.

Source...

Re: China remains one of the few major countries yet to congratulate Biden - CNN by Jeromejnr(m): 1:13pm On Nov 10, 2020
kingxsamz:

Source...

Amazingly, CNN brah.

From 290 to 279.

Re: China remains one of the few major countries yet to congratulate Biden - CNN by kingxsamz(m): 1:14pm On Nov 10, 2020
Jeromejnr:

Amazingly, CNN brah.

From 290 to 279.
In which state?
Re: China remains one of the few major countries yet to congratulate Biden - CNN by Jeromejnr(m): 1:17pm On Nov 10, 2020
kingxsamz:

In which state?

Pennsylvania recounting.
Re: China remains one of the few major countries yet to congratulate Biden - CNN by kingxsamz(m): 1:18pm On Nov 10, 2020
Jeromejnr:

Pennsylvania recounting.

Lol, okay so they're recounting the votes right?
Re: China remains one of the few major countries yet to congratulate Biden - CNN by kingxsamz(m): 1:19pm On Nov 10, 2020
Jeromejnr:

Pennsylvania recounting.
So, If they're recounting the votes, isn't it logical for them to deduct the points untill it's counted?

Re: China remains one of the few major countries yet to congratulate Biden - CNN by Jeromejnr(m): 1:22pm On Nov 10, 2020
kingxsamz:

Lol, okay so they're recounting the votes right?

Uhm no..Trump won it. wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

South Africans Demand Return Of ‘world’s Largest Diamond’ On Queen’s Sceptre / Injustice In Sudan/s Sudan Conflict / Mankind Has Made Contact With An Alien 'galactic Federation'(Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.