Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,590 members, 7,823,552 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:39 AM

Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease - Foreign Affairs (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease (47200 Views)

Video Of Jerry Rawlings On Hospital Bed Before His Death / Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him / Burundi President Pierre Nkurunziza Died Of COVID-19 Disease - Medics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by jaszplus12(m): 4:01pm On Nov 12, 2020
The man has gone! Nationalist and African champion!
Wait o....how come none of the "great" men of god who were busy with USA election predictions didn't see vision or prophecy on this

1 Like

Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by ubyways(m): 4:13pm On Nov 12, 2020
Man who led the foundation for the current day Ghana. May your soul rest in peace. I wish I can replicate what you did for you country to my country. Our politicians are devil incarnate, even devil is scared of Nigerian Politicians
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by Mcreloaded(m): 4:14pm On Nov 12, 2020
The year that shok the world and a year that will no be forgotten in a hurry.

New year thanks giving go be gbozaaaaaa
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by obama30: 4:20pm On Nov 12, 2020
Ecstasy154:

https://www.thecable.ng/breaking-jerry-rawlings-ex-ghanaian-president-dies-from-covid-19/amp

But the same nairaland cannot tell us if there's president in nigeria or not, but can get news of what kill JJ Rawlings faster than Ghana's news media
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by ajl: 4:22pm On Nov 12, 2020
peacekante:
He has cult following in Ghana and is loved over there. A good orator and one many Africa leaders should look up to. Painfully not long ago I think less than one month ago, he arrived like this in the video to bury his mum.
Rip his Excellency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n_BIaOGWwo

Not just in Ghana. He is adored all over Africa, most especially West Africa. I am one of his fans. He once said Nigeria is still the way it is because Nigerians are still in love of their oppressors. He actions paid off for Ghana today.
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by ajl: 4:23pm On Nov 12, 2020
post=95961507:
COVID do you need us to gather transport money for you to visit Aso Rock?

Nigerians don't mind.

Please send me account number to send my own contribution.
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by jaszplus12(m): 4:23pm On Nov 12, 2020
UDUJ:

Yes he was. He got all the corrupt leaders of the past and killed them. Something badly needed in Nigeria right now. We just need a radical leader like Rawlings to make it happen.
In fact...
I was telling a friend that the push to make government listen to the people would have been during the pandemic and lockdown when the whole world was grounded...no airplane flying and everyone was in Nigeria...that would have been the best time... government for agree Sharp sharp on any requests!!
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by fredoooooo: 4:38pm On Nov 12, 2020
Another true son of the African soil left this world , REST IN PEACE SIR...
Regards to Thomas sankara , kwame Nkrumah and Patrice Lumumba cry
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by ChaosMagus: 4:41pm On Nov 12, 2020
Kaygyap:

He was court marshaled for a treasonable offense(attempted coup). Death sentence was imminent but whiles in custody, other junior officers broke jail and took him out and quickly joined the revolution that same day...there was chaos in Accra on that June 4th, more like an action movie.. An armed fighter jet was prepared for him and he flew out to sea, fired some shots into an abandoned vessel to test and flew to Ghana’s broadcasting office then, with intention of firing from above any resistance against the revolution. Thankfully the resistance wasn’t too strong so he aborted that mission. A few days later his junta rounded-up alleged corrupt leaders and some top military officers and executed them, no trial though. He handed over to an elected government but after one year he came back. He ushered Ghana into democracy in 1992, stood and won two elections and handed over in January 2001.

When Rawlings was arrested together with the other junior officers for the couple.. they were sentenced to death.

However Rawlings came out and took responsibility for his actions. And told the court " LET MY PEOPLE GO". literally telling the court -these junior officers are innocent so leave them alone and let me face my death sentence alone. When the news got to the other junior officers at the camps and barracks they saw a brave, fearless and reliable leader in him.
When Rawlings was preparing for his death sentence, these junior officers broke jail a day before his day of execution and escaped with him. Then the revolution started.

I was quite young, and I remember seeing videos of university students shouting on the streets "Let the blood flow". And so past "corrupt" leaders were taking to the Teshie firing squad and were fired one after the other.

As a Ghanaian, I must admit there were other elements of the junta that took advantage of the times to do so many evil things. But hey it's all good. You must be willing to lose something in order to gain something. God bless Ghana, God bless Nigeria, God bless Africa.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by Mossy35(m): 4:42pm On Nov 12, 2020
RIP
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by berrystunn(m): 4:51pm On Nov 12, 2020
Covid you are very very stupid.
You they fear aso Rock ??
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by fredoooooo: 4:56pm On Nov 12, 2020
ajl:

Not just in Ghana. He is adored all over Africa, most especially West Africa. I am one of his fans. He once said Nigeria is still the way it is because Nigerians are still in love of their oppressors. He actions paid off for Ghana today.

Because he kills tribalism with the problems ...
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by Bimpe29: 5:06pm On Nov 12, 2020
He's one of the famous leaders while growing up decades ago.

I think he did clean up the leadership mess in Ghana. We used to reference his bold step anytime Nigeria problem was being dissected.
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by emoney09: 5:07pm On Nov 12, 2020
Life
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by PureKach: 5:07pm On Nov 12, 2020
You have finished your earthly race. Good night my nigga. Fly on angels wings[color=#000000][/color]
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by somehow: 5:09pm On Nov 12, 2020
OgaTheTop2:
The story no complete. I would like to know how he escaped the death sentence..

Abi, sounds like a cut and paste article.
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 5:19pm On Nov 12, 2020
somehow:

Abi, sounds like a cut and paste article.
those days when we have authentic real badass brave soldiers in Africa!

But soldiers Now, I don't know?

What Kd Ng failed to do in naija messing up very badly in a terrible way. I guess J. Rawlings learnt from the naija mistake, and made sure the revolution in Ghana was thoroughly and surgically executed.
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by OgaTheTop2: 5:22pm On Nov 12, 2020
Kaygyap:

He was court marshaled for a treasonable offense(attempted coup). Death sentence was imminent but whiles in custody, other junior officers broke jail and took him out and quickly joined the revolution that same day...there was chaos in Accra on that June 4th, more like an action movie.. An armed fighter jet was prepared for him and he flew out to sea, fired some shots into an abandoned vessel to test and flew to Ghana’s broadcasting office then, with intention of firing from above any resistance against the revolution. Thankfully the resistance wasn’t too strong so he aborted that mission. A few days later his junta rounded-up alleged corrupt leaders and some top military officers and executed them, no trial though. He handed over to an elected government but after one year he came back. He ushered Ghana into democracy in 1992, stood and won two elections and handed over in January 2001.
Interesting. Thanks a lot for this. I've been to Ghana twice and do much enjoyed my visits. Cool and friendly place Accra smiley
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by Yoighaman(m): 5:32pm On Nov 12, 2020
Ecstasy154:

https://www.thecable.ng/breaking-jerry-rawlings-ex-ghanaian-president-dies-from-covid-19/amp

One of Africa's greatest leaders. May his soul rest in peace. He would be fondly remembered. Our condolences to his family and well-wishers.
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by Meteng: 5:36pm On Nov 12, 2020
CodeTemplar:
RIP to him. Isn't he the one who gathered looters and sprayed them all?
We need that same treatment here, else our eyes no go ever clear
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by chudez0147(m): 6:13pm On Nov 12, 2020
post=95961507:
COVID do you need us to gather transport money for you to visit Aso Rock?

Nigerians don't mind.
How many times do you want COVID to visit Aso Rock ? Abi where was Abba kyari staying?
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by LimeLyte: 6:13pm On Nov 12, 2020
gammarays:
A titan is gone!
A selfless leader who rated his country over himself.
The ones we have here rates their pockets and bank accounts over their country and themselves.
bank account and pocket that will evaporate when they are gone.. Shameless things..they think they are gods.

1 Like

Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by popizaino(m): 6:13pm On Nov 12, 2020
Notatribalist:
Yeah I just confirmed it.It's such a shame that here in Ghana many TV station are not even talking about it.Death is a Normal thing in Ghana shall, they don't really care.

Tune in to UTV,GTV,JOY T.V.,ANGEL T.V. and see for yourself
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by cutieme(m): 6:21pm On Nov 12, 2020
No Nigerian leader will be celebrated or mourned the way Ghanaians celebrate or mourn their leaders,Why?
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by DeZoro(m): 6:27pm On Nov 12, 2020
Waoooooo cry cry cry cry kiss cry a good man to the core
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by tsagir(m): 6:32pm On Nov 12, 2020
REST IN PEACE SIR,MY CONDOLENCE TO GHANA PEOPLE
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by Nobody: 7:20pm On Nov 12, 2020
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by Forumobserver12(m): 7:40pm On Nov 12, 2020
OgaTheTop2:
The story no complete. I would like to know how he escaped the death sentence..

The man staged a second successful coup from prison, that's how he escaped death...

1 Like

Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by DANIELKWAME: 7:46pm On Nov 12, 2020
CodeTemplar:
RIP to him. Isn't he the one who gathered looters and sprayed them all?
yes
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by dasparrow: 7:46pm On Nov 12, 2020
Notatribalist:
Verify news before pushing it to front page..I am in Ghana and I have not even heard the news here.

But I saw the news on Rawlings passing on YouTube so perhaps you're living under a stone? Your president Nana Akuffo just declared a week of mourning in Ghana. I am neither Ghanian nor live on the Continent of Africa yet I am more informed than you. How come?

1 Like

Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by soojar(m): 7:51pm On Nov 12, 2020
PoliteActivist:

It is called tradition. Who does your condolence help, dead or alive?

It helps the living one. It helps them by giving them strength to bear or manage the loss.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Coronation Of Queen Elizabeth II In 1953 (throwback) / Adolf Hitler’s ‘Suicide Note’ To Be Sold At Auction For N32 Million / Videos Of Some Live Explosions In Ukraine Cities By Russian Troops (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.