Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,478 members, 7,823,114 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:43 AM

Dstv Explains Hike In Tarrifs - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Dstv Explains Hike In Tarrifs (10250 Views)

Poll: Do we boycott DSTV for a few months to force a rethink of the price hike

Yes: 81% (113 votes)
No: 4% (6 votes)
It's no use: 14% (20 votes)
This poll has ended

DSTV Announces Price Hike In South Africa By 8% / Dstv Price Hike In Nigeria: 5 Reasons Why Multichoice Can’t Be Blamed / Re: Dstv Explains Hike In Tarrifs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dstv Explains Hike In Tarrifs by seunspice(m): 3:21pm On Mar 17, 2011
Just got this from DSTV

17 March 2011

Dear Valued Subscriber

Re: Annual Subscription price increase for DStv

It has come to our attention that there are some queries around the DStv subscription price increase that comes into effect on 1 April, and we would like to ensure that the truth is communicated to you, our valued subscriber. Most of all we would like to reassure you of our best intentions and reaffirm our commitment to Nigeria, which is clearly demonstrated through our continuous investments in the country.

In the last 5 years we have only had one price increase 18 months ago. Since then, despite the high inflation rate averaging around 11.95%, we have not increased subscription prices until now. Our current subscription price increase percentage is well below the inflation average with a 5 to 8% increase on DStv Premium bouquet.

Additionally, we have added a total of 18 new channels over the last 18 months to the DStv bouquets, thus giving you, our subscriber, even more value and choice than ever before. These channels include channels made in Nigeria and showcased in Africa - displaying Nigeria's ingenuity and artistry; these include AfricaMagic Yoruba, AfricaMagic Hausa, NN24 and Sound City. The range of newly launched international channels includes Discovery World, iConcerts and Afro Music.

Over and above this, MultiChoice is the only operating pay TV company that has invested in the latest television technology with High Definition (HD) television and launched the following channels - M-Net HD, SuperSport HD, i-Concerts HD, Discovery Showcase and SuperSport HD Extra - thus ensuring that Nigeria is up there with the best internationally in terms of access to the latest television experience and technology. The introduction of HD channels and the HD PVR decoder has revolutionized the television viewing experience of our subscribers. But that is not the end of our increased offering - in April we intend to add another three exciting new channels; so please keep a look out for these announcements.

There is currently no other pay television company in Nigeria that has made as much investment in the production of local content and infrastructure. Over the last three years the business has invested over $100 million in the coverage of Nigerian sports, including basketball and football; has bought the latest outside broadcast (OB) vans to show live events, built studios and trained technicians. Our investment has not only been in sport, but also in Nigerian productions such as Tinsel, Naija Sings, Jacobs Cross, Comedy Club live in Lagos, Moments with Mo and Jara. We are also excited about the upcoming Big Brother Africa which has made many Nigerian stars!

Our mission is to make pay television accessible to all Nigerians and to offer our subscribers a range of DStv bouquets which deliver both world class Nigerian and international content. We have stuck to this mission and our lowest cost bouquet - DStv Access - currently offers more channels than our nearest rival's premium bouquet for only N1,500.

There has also been propaganda in the market that the price in Nigeria is more expensive than other countries, we would like to point out that Nigeria's subscription of $66 is 21% less than the subscription paid in South Africa which is currently R559 ($80.12) (SA has had annual increases). It is also important to note that the DStv service in Nigeria has the most number of channels, including HD and Nigerian channels.

MultiChoice Nigeria is a Nigerian company and is the only pay television operator that has put significant investments into the upliftment and development of communities - this we have done through our schools projects and support of the Sickle Cell Foundation. We have also helped build sustainable small and medium businesses around the industry with the financing and training of a DStv SuperDealer network which are owned and operated regionally by independent Nigerian entrepreneurs to support the DStv customer experience for you, our valued subscribers.

DStv has been in Nigeria for 15 years and has made massive investments to enable us to provide a world-class home television entertainment experience, we have many exciting new plans for the future to ensure you receive the best possible experience from DStv. In order to ensure the continued viability of our business and a marginal return on the investments that we have made, and are continuing to make, we unfortunately have to increase subscription prices from time to time. As has happened, we have always endeavoured to keep these as low as possible, whilst giving you so much more.

We are most grateful for your continued support and will continue to provide a service that is consistent, efficient, and accessible.

Yours sincerely

Joseph Hundah
Managing Director
Re: Dstv Explains Hike In Tarrifs by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:18am On Mar 18, 2011
good,
the subscription here is cheaper than SA.

but is the volume in SA equal or even near to that in nigeria? abi economies of scale no get reference in pricing?

because person wey hear una talk naw, go dey think say una be angels in disguise.

anyway, it wont deter your numerous fans from still paying up, even if the prices are upped to 20k per month, max u will lose is 3 percent of your customers.
Re: Dstv Explains Hike In Tarrifs by seunspice(m): 11:32am On Mar 18, 2011
Opposing DSTV in Nigeria is like opposing the PDP, the alternatives are just not on the same level. DSTV's monopoly of the major content in the market can only be broken by an action by Nigerians to induce favourable government legislations against 'TV rights' monopoly. The situation where only one provider controls the rights to the premier league is bad enough, talkless of other soccer contents like the FA cup, CHamps league etal.
join the crusade, Pay TV must be realistic TV. And what the heck happened to pay per view?
Re: Dstv Explains Hike In Tarrifs by campella(m): 1:30pm On Mar 18, 2011
seunspice:

Just got this from DSTV

17 March 2011

Dear Valued Subscriber

Re: Annual Subscription price increase for DStv

It has come to our attention that there are some queries around the DStv subscription price increase that comes into effect on 1 April, and we would like to ensure that the truth is communicated to you, our valued subscriber. Most of all we would like to reassure you of our best intentions and reaffirm our commitment to Nigeria, which is clearly demonstrated through our continuous investments in the country.

In the last 5 years we have only had one price increase 18 months ago. Since then, despite the high inflation rate averaging around 11.95%, we have not increased subscription prices until now. Our current subscription price increase percentage is well below the inflation average with a 5 to 8% increase on DStv Premium bouquet.

Additionally, we have added a total of 18 new channels over the last 18 months to the DStv bouquets, thus giving you, our subscriber, even more value and choice than ever before. These channels include channels made in Nigeria and showcased in Africa - displaying Nigeria's ingenuity and artistry; these include AfricaMagic Yoruba, AfricaMagic Hausa, NN24 and Sound City. The range of newly launched international channels includes Discovery World, iConcerts and Afro Music.

Over and above this, MultiChoice is the only operating pay TV company that has invested in the latest television technology with High Definition (HD) television and launched the following channels - M-Net HD, SuperSport HD, i-Concerts HD, Discovery Showcase and SuperSport HD Extra - thus ensuring that Nigeria is up there with the best internationally in terms of access to the latest television experience and technology. The introduction of HD channels and the HD PVR decoder has revolutionized the television viewing experience of our subscribers. But that is not the end of our increased offering - in April we intend to add another three exciting new channels; so please keep a look out for these announcements.

There is currently no other pay television company in Nigeria that has made as much investment in the production of local content and infrastructure. Over the last three years the business has invested over $100 million in the coverage of Nigerian sports, including basketball and football; has bought the latest outside broadcast (OB) vans to show live events, built studios and trained technicians. Our investment has not only been in sport, but also in Nigerian productions such as Tinsel, Naija Sings, Jacobs Cross, Comedy Club live in Lagos, Moments with Mo and Jara. We are also excited about the upcoming Big Brother Africa which has made many Nigerian stars!

Our mission is to make pay television accessible to all Nigerians and to offer our subscribers a range of DStv bouquets which deliver both world class Nigerian and international content. We have stuck to this mission and our lowest cost bouquet - DStv Access - currently offers more channels than our nearest rival's premium bouquet for only N1,500.

There has also been propaganda in the market that the price in Nigeria is more expensive than other countries, we would like to point out that Nigeria's subscription of $66 is 21% less than the subscription paid in South Africa which is currently R559 ($80.12) (SA has had annual increases). It is also important to note that the DStv service in Nigeria has the most number of channels, including HD and Nigerian channels.

MultiChoice Nigeria is a Nigerian company and is the only pay television operator that has put significant investments into the upliftment and development of communities - this we have done through our schools projects and support of the Sickle Cell Foundation. We have also helped build sustainable small and medium businesses around the industry with the financing and training of a DStv SuperDealer network which are owned and operated regionally by independent Nigerian entrepreneurs to support the DStv customer experience for you, our valued subscribers.

DStv has been in Nigeria for 15 years and has made massive investments to enable us to provide a world-class home television entertainment experience, we have many exciting new plans for the future to ensure you receive the best possible experience from DStv. In order to ensure the continued viability of our business and a marginal return on the investments that we have made, and are continuing to make, we unfortunately have to increase subscription prices from time to time. As has happened, we have always endeavoured to keep these as low as possible, whilst giving you so much more.

We are most grateful for your continued support and will continue to provide a service that is consistent, efficient, and accessible.

Yours sincerely

Joseph Hundah
Managing Director

so, what are the new rates

Are we to expect hand bills?
Re: Dstv Explains Hike In Tarrifs by lacidi: 1:33pm On Mar 18, 2011
@4llerbuntu . SA has more DSTV subscribers than Nigeria. Nigeria is presently 2nd in DSTV subscription list. Note that in SA almost every family has a Dstv Digital or Analogue system.
Re: Dstv Explains Hike In Tarrifs by twinskenny(m): 1:38pm On Mar 18, 2011
screw them with all that repeated movies day in day out?
if ther is going to be an increase they should as well improve on their contents, such a shame
Re: Dstv Explains Hike In Tarrifs by Orikinla(m): 1:41pm On Mar 18, 2011
When you have more advanced alternatives you can afford, then why bother about DsTV.

You have Infinity TV an HiTV and others. So, man shall not live by DsTV alone.

Re: Dstv Explains Hike In Tarrifs by Bawss1(m): 1:44pm On Mar 18, 2011
twinskenny:

screw them with all that repeated movies day in day out?
if ther is going to be an increase they should as well improve on their contents, such a shame

Is there any channel that does not show repeats? cheesy cheesy
Re: Dstv Explains Hike In Tarrifs by buttkick: 1:54pm On Mar 18, 2011
Dstv Rip Off
« on: March 16, 2011, 02:50 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i paid for my subscrition at the dstv office in abuja and did not have connection until i had spent my credit for minuites on end complaining to customer care. eventually after 7 days, while on the phone with customer care complaining the connection was prompted and service restored. it was then a rude shock that 21 days after service was restored i was cut off meaning that they took into account the days for which service was not on. on complaint to customer care that i shouldnt be billed for service i did not recieve they directed me to send a mail. i did. not once nor twice but severally. my main complaint was ignored and stereo typed replies were sent to me ignoring my request that i shouldnt have been billed for days i did not get service. to add insult to the injury, they now notified me again that my current subscription which i had paid for a couple of days earlier and was only just connected will expire at a date that took non serviced days into account. somebody tell me here if this not day light robbery or not.

AFTER THE ABOVE I NOW GET A MAIL FOR INCREASED TARIFF. THATS WHAT YOU GET IN A MONOPOLY.
Re: Dstv Explains Hike In Tarrifs by JUO(m): 1:58pm On Mar 18, 2011
@4llerbuntu . SA has more DSTV subscribers than Nigeria. Nigeria is presently 2nd in DSTV subscription list. Note that in SA almost every family has a Dstv Digital or Analogue system.
story
Re: Dstv Explains Hike In Tarrifs by Jossy4u1: 2:00pm On Mar 18, 2011
Lets atleast boycott this DSTV, for sometime, to show them we can do without them. After making people buy into them by slashing their price to N9,000 (promotion), they immediately increased their subscription. They are damn too expesive.
Re: Dstv Explains Hike In Tarrifs by bjgoke: 2:01pm On Mar 18, 2011
So whats the new rate?
Re: Dstv Explains Hike In Tarrifs by bloodred(f): 2:02pm On Mar 18, 2011
seunspice:

Opposing DSTV in Nigeria is like opposing the PDP, the alternatives are just not on the same level. DSTV's monopoly of the major content in the market can only be broken by an action by Nigerians to induce favourable government legislations against 'TV rights' monopoly. The situation where only one provider controls the rights to the premier league is bad enough, talkless of other soccer contents like the FA cup, CHamps league etal.
join the crusade, Pay TV must be realistic TV. And what the heck happened to pay per view?
I agree with u.

i pay N9500 for premium and was informed that i'll be paying 10,300 henceforth. I have weighed d options, there are just no suitable alternatives.  All those hitv, , a part frm football, other programs are nothing to write home abt. My neighbors had cmtv or something like that in PH here, everyday they quarrel with those ppl till they changed to dstv. My mum used to have ctl, she's now on dstv. The quality of their services is unbeatable. What we need in naija is quality alternatives.
Re: Dstv Explains Hike In Tarrifs by JUO(m): 2:06pm On Mar 18, 2011
[quote][/quote]i paid for my subscrition at the dstv office in abuja and did not have connection until i had spent my credit for minuites on end complaining to customer care. eventually after 7 days, while on the phone with customer care complaining the connection was prompted and service restored. it was then a rude shock that 21 days after service was restored i was cut off meaning that they took into account the days for which service was not on. on complaint to customer care that i shouldnt be billed for service i did not recieve they directed me to send a mail. i did. not once nor twice but severally. my main complaint was ignored and stereo typed replies were sent to me ignoring my request that i shouldnt have been billed for days i did not get service. to add insult to the injury, they now notified me again that my current subscription which i had paid for a couple of days earlier and was only just connected will expire at a date that took non serviced days into account. somebody tell me here if this not day light robbery or not.

AFTER THE ABOVE I NOW GET A MAIL FOR INCREASED TARIFF. THATS WHAT YOU GET IN A MONOPOLY.
my guy u dey form gentle man, go there do like say u wan strangle somebody them go answer u. i trust warri for that. even though say money na sand one day e go finish
Re: Dstv Explains Hike In Tarrifs by JUO(m): 2:07pm On Mar 18, 2011
i did it to mtn and i was compensated
Re: Dstv Explains Hike In Tarrifs by johnjoel(m): 2:09pm On Mar 18, 2011
always a way of deffence
Re: Dstv Explains Hike In Tarrifs by maddock(m): 2:12pm On Mar 18, 2011
Na wah o. Is is by force to get DSTV? i always tell people if u cant buy a car take a bus or taxi. The last time i checked we have HITv, Infinity,MITv, Startimes etc. Even free to air dey kpakpa. Whats the hue and cry about them increasing their rates. If everybody can be like me, i dont think any company can take us for a ride. The last time arik mistakenly stepped on my toes, they lost a custmer and till now i really donot care if everybody is using them. So if we as Nigerian feel Multichoice is taking us for a ride, then on the expiration of our subscription we should pack the receiver and put in our basement,kapish!
Re: Dstv Explains Hike In Tarrifs by JUO(m): 2:17pm On Mar 18, 2011
@Orikinla abeg no mention infinity for here o, they have the worst service in the country. they claim to be on mpeg4 but mpeg2 clear pass am, wetin sef infinity, una dey watch the state at all? the sound they claim is aac dey blasting. at least there is an effort. infinity you need to spend money on your studio
Re: Dstv Explains Hike In Tarrifs by seunspice(m): 2:23pm On Mar 18, 2011
@BJGOKE, A mail was sent to all subscribers informing them of the reviewed charges. I am on the premium bouquet and my charge has moved up to 10,300 from 9,500 although the mail also states that i am to pay 10k for the next 3 months after which the 10,300 comes into full effect.
Re: Dstv Explains Hike In Tarrifs by comechop(m): 2:26pm On Mar 18, 2011
freaking monopoly
Re: Dstv Explains Hike In Tarrifs by seunspice(m): 2:29pm On Mar 18, 2011
In as much as there seems to be no viable standard competition to DSTV now, we would be subjected to their ludicrous charging system. What irks me most is that i leave home as early as 5am every workday and don't get back until 9:30 on the average or 8pm when there are matches to be played and i dont watch too much apart from footie on weekends too. so i accumulate unnecessary charges that i dont get to use. If it was pay per view i wont have such issues.
The next line of action would be to get the best Free to Air combo and forgo DSTV. Question is 'Can i really forgo the footie?'  
Re: Dstv Explains Hike In Tarrifs by Bawss1(m): 2:31pm On Mar 18, 2011
Jossy_4u:

Lets atleast boycott this DSTV, for sometime, to show them we can do without them. After making people buy into them by slashing their price to N9,000 (promotion), they immediately increased their subscription. They are damn too expesive.

You will soon find out that you are completely on your own here.
Re: Dstv Explains Hike In Tarrifs by Johnpaul2k2(m): 2:58pm On Mar 18, 2011
seunspice:

In as much as there seems to be no viable standard competition to DSTV now, we would be subjected to their ludicrous charging system. What irks me most is that i leave home as early as 5am every workday and don't get back until 9:30 on the average or 8pm when there are matches to be played and i dont watch too much apart from footie on weekends too. so i accumulate unnecessary charges that i dont get to use. If it was pay per view i wont have such issues.
The next line of action would be to get the best Free to Air combo and forgo DSTV. Question is 'Can i really forgo the footie?'  
I WILL ADVISE TO CARRY YOUR DSTV AT YOUR BACK SO TO ENJOY YOUR SUBSCRIPTION grin
Re: Dstv Explains Hike In Tarrifs by Jukoh(m): 3:03pm On Mar 18, 2011
Multi Choice or DSTV, they are just trying to frustrate the lives of the common man in Nigeria, they talk about HD Channels dat are not accessible even when you're on the Premium Subscription, angry   The best alternative is StarTimes , Shikinan.
Re: Dstv Explains Hike In Tarrifs by deribigbe(m): 3:06pm On Mar 18, 2011
I know they are up to some thing when they sell it out @ 9k then embarassed embarassed
Re: Dstv Explains Hike In Tarrifs by bebe4u(f): 3:23pm On Mar 18, 2011
Instead of clamouring for drop in the price hike, we should ask for pay per view. That way we can manage our cost spent for DSTV
Re: Dstv Explains Hike In Tarrifs by Reference(m): 3:46pm On Mar 18, 2011
bebe4u:

Instead of clamouring for drop in the price hike, we should ask for pay per view. That way we can manage our cost spent for DSTV

Well ask those who have stolen billions from us where they have invested, shops in Dubai, clinics in SA, wineries in France. The terrible capital flight has robbed this country of the capital needed to set up competition against these sharks. MTN said per second billing was not possible just as DSTV is mum about pay-per-view. What we need is a broadcast equivalent of GLO and Mike Adenuga. Unfortunately there are no takers for now. So,

PS. The new tariff has already taken off. 1st April isn't true. I paid the new rate on Tuesday.
Re: Dstv Explains Hike In Tarrifs by babniyen(m): 3:59pm On Mar 18, 2011
AM NOT GOING TO PAY MY SUBSCRIPTION THIS MONTH IN PROTEST.
I suggest others do the same to show our displeasure at this arbitrary increase.
Re: Dstv Explains Hike In Tarrifs by seunspice(m): 4:05pm On Mar 18, 2011
If only Nigerians can go off DSTV for a while at the end of the season.
Re: Dstv Explains Hike In Tarrifs by lionmessi: 4:13pm On Mar 18, 2011
Jossy_4u:

i'm totally in support of a boycott
Re: Dstv Explains Hike In Tarrifs by maclatunji: 4:22pm On Mar 18, 2011
seunspice:

Boycott it now, why wait till end of season. I am a bigger football fan than most people but that does not mean I will allow myself be exploited just because I want to watch the over-hyped English Premier League.
Re: Dstv Explains Hike In Tarrifs by shema: 4:31pm On Mar 18, 2011
seunspice:

If only we could speak wf one voice, sad

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Need Help On How To Download Movies Online: / 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire' In Nigeria / FG Inaugurates Committee To Restructure Nollywood's Grant N3bn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.