Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,196 members, 7,835,968 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:21 PM

Idi -igi Or Ori - Ojori Property Sharing Method.which One Applies Here . - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Idi -igi Or Ori - Ojori Property Sharing Method.which One Applies Here . (2918 Views)

Please Read This Property Sharing ..is It Okay . / Does Property Sharing Hold Waters In Cases Of Divorce In Nigerian Marriages? / Jimpo-ori Products For Sale In Wholesales And Retails. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Idi -igi Or Ori - Ojori Property Sharing Method.which One Applies Here . by seproperties(m): 8:31pm On Nov 16, 2020
I Read something Similar on here but I wish to create a thread to get a Clearer picture . Please help make Comments . A Man Had two Women .First woman had 3 Children and later Moved out of His house to marry another man ,The second woman had one child for the man ,Moved out of His house to marry another man .After the second woman moved out ,The man lived alone for more than 13 years before He died .The Two Women had moved out of the man's house for many Years and were both with another man before the man died .The man Left behind Four Rooms with a Plot of Land with Four Rooms on it .How will the Property Be Shared ? IDI- IGI or Ori Ojori ....Those are Two Different methods Yoruba uses for Clarification. N: B None of the Two Women were Thrown out by force ,The first one Left at Will ,Used her Hand to move Her Belongings herself ,The Second Woman too moved out by herself at Will. Give your Most Sincere and Honest Comments .
Re: Idi -igi Or Ori - Ojori Property Sharing Method.which One Applies Here . by hakeemhakeem(m): 10:37pm On Nov 16, 2020
seproperties:
I Read something Similar on here but I wish to create a thread to get a Clearer picture . Please help make Comments . A Man Had two Women .First woman had 3 Children and later Moved out of His house to marry another man ,The second woman had one child for the man ,Moved out of His house to marry another man .After the second woman moved out ,The man lived alone for more than 13 years before He died .The Two Women had moved out of the man's house for many Years and were both with another man before the man died .The man Left behind Four Rooms with a Plot of Land with Four Rooms on it .How will the Property Be Shared ? IDI- IGI or Ori Ojori ....Those are Two Different methods Yoruba uses for Clarification

It's should be ori ojori you can't give three children two rooms and give a child two rooms
Re: Idi -igi Or Ori - Ojori Property Sharing Method.which One Applies Here . by Lovinghauwa: 12:25am On Nov 17, 2020
Ori ojori
Re: Idi -igi Or Ori - Ojori Property Sharing Method.which One Applies Here . by gnss(m): 3:22am On Nov 17, 2020
Well , In Yoruba Tradition there are two methods of Sharing Property if the owner of the Property dies intestate meaning died without a Written Will .Property is either Shared with IDI- IGI or ORI- OJORi .The IDI- IGI method means the property is shared Equally according to.the numbers of Wives the deceased man had before he died . Simple

But in this Particular case ,this is quite different ,Point one ,The two women already moved out of the man's House for Several Years , the two Women were no more in the man's house for several years till He died ,There is nothing like IDI- IGI here please ,IDI-IGI stands for Wife ,One wife is one IDI- IGI ,Two Wives are TWO-IGI .Both IDI- IGI ( Tree Roots) had Pulled there Roots away from the man's House before He died ,The Property cannot be shared along number of Women,What the man simply left Behind are His Children who are His Blood Relations .4 Children ,4 Rooms ,The Property Rooms Should be shared ORI- OJORi Equally among the Children ,Per Head .To even Cut long story short ,In Yoruba Tradition ,Wives are Considered Property of a Man ,Meaning they don't Inherit there Husband once such wife has Children then they Inherit there father ,so what is even the essence of Bringing the matter of Women/wife into Property Sharing , Except the Children are too young ,Then The family of the Deceased man could hand over the said Property to the kids mother for safe Handlings/Caretaking ...

Secondly Law means Equity,Fairness and Justice . Thirdly Come to think of it, You give 3 Children to share 2 Rooms and one Child 2 Rooms ,Haba ,Such Children relationship might end in Tears .To avoid Unnecessary Litigations and Troubles .This is not complicated at all it's very very simple .ORI- OJORi is it .

1 Like

Re: Idi -igi Or Ori - Ojori Property Sharing Method.which One Applies Here . by Maxchu: 3:57am On Nov 17, 2020
I have witnessed a matter like this in my Area in Oshogbo , it happened to my Father's close friend ,The man died without a Written will ,Has two wives who had already went after another men ,the two women left and Abandoned the man on there own .
This man Suffered a lot till Death ,Upon the News of His Death ,The Two women who had left rushed down to lay claims to share of the property ,My father and some Elders of the man's family asked the two women to go and Bring there Children ,The Children came ,The first woman had 5 Children,The second woman had 3 Children .
This man left behind just one Plot of Land with 8 single Rooms and One Shop .The second woman was just Constituting Nuisance demanding that the Property should be Splitted into two with the IDI-IGI METHOD so Her 3 Children can have 4 Rooms and the first woman 5 children should have 4 Rooms ,The Elders of the Family just Use the ORI- OJORi method and shared the 8 Rooms Equally ,One Child ,One Room ,Aparo Kan Ko gaju Aparo Kan Lo ....The Shop rent was taken over by the Deceased man Junior brother and He uses the money to Maintain the House .Under this Matter It's ORI- OJORI.

1 Like

Re: Idi -igi Or Ori - Ojori Property Sharing Method.which One Applies Here . by dan761(m): 9:48am On Nov 17, 2020
Though I am not of Yoruba Tribe ,But according to the way the matter is ,This Late man already have Children and all the Children are from just one Father The Property should be shared Equally .Each Child takes Each Room ,4 Rooms ,4 Children ,This matter is very very Simple now .Wetin concern women that has moved out ,Abandoned a man for several years to go to another man and rushing back immediately they hear that the man don die ,thanks God both women have children ,the rooms should just be shared equally the Children now .Another question I wan ask be say ,is any of the woman Legally Married to the man ?
Re: Idi -igi Or Ori - Ojori Property Sharing Method.which One Applies Here . by seproperties(m): 9:57am On Nov 17, 2020
dan761:
Though I am not of Yoruba Tribe ,But according to the way the matter is ,This Late man already have Children and all the Children are from just one Father The Property should be shared Equally .Each Child takes Each Room ,4 Rooms ,4 Children ,This matter is very very Simple now .Wetin concern women that has moved out ,Abandoned a man for several years to go to another man and rushing back immediately they hear that the man don die ,thanks God both women have children ,the rooms should just be shared equally the Children now .Another question I wan ask be say ,is any of the woman Legally Married to the man ?
. Absolutely No ,None of the Women were Legally Married to the Late Man .Both women were not Legally Married .The Two Women Moved out by themselves ,It wasn't the Late man that sent them away ,They both Moved at Will to Marry another Man .Thanks to all for your Comment and Input.God Blesses you All.
Re: Idi -igi Or Ori - Ojori Property Sharing Method.which One Applies Here . by NoToPile: 1:26pm On Nov 17, 2020
In this scenario oriojori seems suitable.
4 children - 4 rooms on a plot of land
Re: Idi -igi Or Ori - Ojori Property Sharing Method.which One Applies Here . by NoToPile: 1:37pm On Nov 17, 2020
dan761:
Though I am not of Yoruba Tribe ,But according to the way the matter is ,This Late man already have Children and all the Children are from just one Father The Property should be shared Equally .Each Child takes Each Room ,4 Rooms ,4 Children ,This matter is very very Simple now Wetin concern women that has moved out ,Abandoned a man for several years to go to another man and rushing back immediately they hear that the man don die ,thanks God both women have children ,the rooms should just be shared equally the Children now .Another question I wan ask be say ,is any of the woman Legally Married to the man ?

The legality of the marriage does not matter in the Yoruba sharing formula( Idi-igi or oriojori). As long as ' e born for am' the child (the mum by extension) has a right to the inheritance .

If there were two different properties in this OPs scnerio the idi - igi would be more appropriate, each branch of the family(from the same mum) would take one property and they would share within themselves . They can now decide to give the more valuable one to the 3 children and the single child takes the less valuable asset.

This sharing formular mostly happens in polygamous scenerious.
Re: Idi -igi Or Ori - Ojori Property Sharing Method.which One Applies Here . by gnss(m): 1:56pm On Nov 17, 2020
NoToPile:

The legality of the marriage does not matter in the Yoruba sharing formula( Idi-igi or oriojori). As long as ' e born for am' the child (the mum by extension) has a right to the inheritance .

If there were two different properties in this OPs scnerio the idi - igi would be more appropriate, each branch of the family(from the same mum) would take one property and they would share within themselves . They can now decide to give the more valuable one to the 3 children and the single child takes the less valuable asset.

. From your first Paragraph.....I think No one is saying the Children from the women does not have right to the Inheritance ,They do whether there mother is a Legal wife or not .In my own View ,Let us not Twist the issue ,let's face the reality ,The Two Women are no more with this man for God's sake ,they are already a Property of another man .By extension the Children are the Ones to Inherit there father , not the Women ,I also understand that a Yoruba wife is considered a Property of a man in which she cannot Inherit her Husband bit the Children .it's also a different matter here ,The Women had Gone . assume one of the Women is with the late man till He dies ,But No .Those Women wouldn't ask for there own Personal share ,They would only demand the share for there Children .The Op clearly stated Only one Property " One Plot of Land with 4 Rooms " One Receipt ,One Survey .One Building .4 Children .If the Property is two then it's a different issue ,I understand you but on this matter it's just one Property .The Ori- Ojori is Applicable here ,No long Story ...4 Rooms ,4 Children ,Each Child takes one room .
Re: Idi -igi Or Ori - Ojori Property Sharing Method.which One Applies Here . by baby124: 2:08pm On Nov 17, 2020
NoToPile:

If there was marriage it will be Idi-Igi. But no marriage it is Ori o Ju ori. Marriage matters though it’s the children that inherit. The wife does have an advantage over babymama, she can inherit for her children but Babymama cannot. Babymama child will always get their share but wife can get substantial under Idi Igi.
Re: Idi -igi Or Ori - Ojori Property Sharing Method.which One Applies Here . by unionpowerk: 2:20pm On Nov 17, 2020
Point one : One Property .
Point Two : The Two Women have moved to be with another Man .It was not the man that Chased them away ,they moved at Will. Point 3 : 4 Rooms .4 Children .3 from first woman ,1 from Second Woman . This Matter does not need to be dragged so Long . Fairness,Equity and Justice ...The Sharing Method here is ORI- OJORI ...Not IDI-IGI .
Re: Idi -igi Or Ori - Ojori Property Sharing Method.which One Applies Here . by NoToPile: 2:38pm On Nov 17, 2020
gnss:
. From your first Paragraph.....I think No one is saying the Children from the women does not have right to the Inheritance ,They do whether there mother is a Legal wife or not .In my own View ,Let us not Twist the issue ,let's face the reality ,The Two Women are no more with this man for God's sake ,they are already a Property of another man .By extension the Children are the Ones to Inherit there father , not the Women I also understand that a Yoruba wife is considered a Property of a man in which she cannot Inherit her Husband bit the Children it's also a different matter here ,The Women had Gone . assume one of the Women is with the late man till He dies ,But No .Those Women wouldn't ask for there own Personal share ,They would only demand the share for there Children .The Op clearly stated Only one Property " One Plot of Land with 4 Rooms " One Receipt ,One Survey .One Building .4 Children .If the Property is two then it's a different issue ,I understand you but on this matter it's just one Property .The Ori- Ojori is Applicable here ,No long Story ...4 Rooms ,4 Children ,Each Child takes one room .

Technically/culturally the bolded is wrong, the Yoruba WIFE (can) inherit from her husband but some peeps recently I think do add the caveat of if she has a child for them.

As a wife you can inherit from your father, your mother, your husband- its allowed culturally

Understand that I was not even talking about this particular OP, in the post you quoted I responded to the the other guy who was asking if they were legally married.

The best in this OPs scenario is orijori method and its what is fair.

1 Like

Re: Idi -igi Or Ori - Ojori Property Sharing Method.which One Applies Here . by NoToPile: 2:42pm On Nov 17, 2020
baby124:

If there was marriage it will be Idi-Igi But no marriage it is Ori o Ju ori Marriage matters though it’s the children that inherit. The wife does have an advantage over babymama, she can inherit for her children but Babymama cannot. Babymama child will always get their share but wife can get substantial under Idi Igi.

@ the bolded I didn't know that sha, idiigi happens a lot in polygamous settings.
Re: Idi -igi Or Ori - Ojori Property Sharing Method.which One Applies Here . by baby124: 2:48pm On Nov 17, 2020
NoToPile:

@ the bolded I didn't know that sha, idiigi happens a lot in polygamous settings.
Because there was marriage. Marriage still matters. It makes for equitable sharing so that one wife with 100 children does not take all while the other wife with 1 or 0 children does not become penniless. When there is no marriage it’s Ori O Ju Ori. When there is marriage and babymama situation, more complicated. Idi - igi happens and the family tries to settle the outside child too. This is where the man’s relative comes in so the wives don’t disinherit the outside child. Outside child may not get equitable but will get something.
Re: Idi -igi Or Ori - Ojori Property Sharing Method.which One Applies Here . by NoToPile: 3:03pm On Nov 17, 2020
baby124:

Because there was marriage. Marriage still matters. It makes for equitable sharing so that one wife with 100 children does not take all while the other wife with 1 or 0 children does not become penniless. When there is no marriage it’s Ori O Ju Ori. When there is marriage and babymama situation, more complicated. Idi - igi happens and the family tries to settle the outside child too. This is where the man’s relative comes in so the wives don’t disinherit the outside child. Outside child may not get equitable but will get something.

grin grin quite complicated something but 100 children sharing a property worth 1000 naira and a child having that same 1000 worth to himself would seem unfair to some.

Well the real koko here is the polygamous situation, a lot of (christain even some Muslims sef) families are now being monogamous.
Re: Idi -igi Or Ori - Ojori Property Sharing Method.which One Applies Here . by baby124: 3:25pm On Nov 17, 2020
NoToPile:

grin grin quite complicated something but 100 children sharing a property worth 1000 naira and a child having that same 1000 worth to himself would seem unfair to some.

Well the real koko here is the polygamous situation, a lot of (christain even some Muslims sef) families are now being monogamous.
You know some women give birth every year and they do it on purpose to corner all the inheritance. This is where Idi-Igi comes in to deal with such people. They will be OYO with their 100 children when the inheritance runs out. cheesy.
Re: Idi -igi Or Ori - Ojori Property Sharing Method.which One Applies Here . by NoToPile: 3:28pm On Nov 17, 2020
baby124:

You know some women give birth every year and they do it on purpose to corner all the inheritance. This is where Idi-Igi comes in to deal with such people. They will be OYO with their 100 children when the inheritance runs out. cheesy.

Loool the formulas are there for checks and balance grin grin
Re: Idi -igi Or Ori - Ojori Property Sharing Method.which One Applies Here . by baby124: 3:29pm On Nov 17, 2020
NoToPile:

Loool the formulas are there for checks and balance grin grin
Yes. The ancestors are wise and correctly considered the greed and cause for fights in a polygamous setting. Any woman with sense will not be giving birth like rat. Except she has her own money.
Re: Idi -igi Or Ori - Ojori Property Sharing Method.which One Applies Here . by seproperties(m): 3:41pm On Nov 17, 2020
@ Notopile baby124 ,Thanks all for your comments..I Appreciate others for Contributions .Your recent Comments is shifting and derailing from the main thread topic , However I have gotten enough Answers to the question . Thanks
Re: Idi -igi Or Ori - Ojori Property Sharing Method.which One Applies Here . by ORIAYO70(m): 11:04pm On Nov 17, 2020
seproperties:
I Read something Similar on here but I wish to create a thread to get a Clearer picture . Please help make Comments . A Man Had two Women .First woman had 3 Children and later Moved out of His house to marry another man ,The second woman had one child for the man ,Moved out of His house to marry another man .After the second woman moved out ,The man lived alone for more than 13 years before He died .The Two Women had moved out of the man's house for many Years and were both with another man before the man died .The man Left behind Four Rooms with a Plot of Land with Four Rooms on it .How will the Property Be Shared ? IDI- IGI or Ori Ojori ....Those are Two Different methods Yoruba uses for Clarification. N: B None of the Two Women were Thrown out by force ,The first one Left at Will ,Used her Hand to move Her Belongings herself ,The Second Woman too moved out by herself at Will. Give your Most Sincere and Honest Comments .

This two methods have is own advantage and disadvantages, base on numbers of children bear by the wives.

Ori ojori formula

This formula will share the property equally among the two wives children equally....

But the idi igi formular
This formular is favourable to the wives that has lesser children

E.g the first wives bore 3children while the second bore 1.

In this formula of Idi igi the property will be divided into two..
The first wife children will share 1part among three of them

While the second wife only son will take the other part.

Which means the wife the bears 1child will benefit more larger.

(1) (Reply)

How A Man And A Woman Withdraw Money From The Atm / How Should A Family Celebrate Mother's Day / Were Should She Dry Her Pants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.