Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,564 members, 7,812,824 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:04 PM

Japanese Cars Cost More To Maintain Than European Cars - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Japanese Cars Cost More To Maintain Than European Cars (1199 Views)

Is Lexus ES 330 Truly Hard To Maintain? / 9 Cheap Cars Cost Less Than An Iphone X / Are Manual Transmissions Really Safer And Easier To Maintain Than Auto? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Japanese Cars Cost More To Maintain Than European Cars by mrcoolautofix(m): 1:25am On Nov 20, 2020
In Ghana and other african countries, Toyota Camry 98 aka pencil light or big daddy and corolla are often regarded as student cars due to how cheap it is to purchase and maintain, volkswagen golf 3 is family car not student or taxi due to it expensiveness to purchase and maintain, but in Nigeria, the opposite is the case
even in US, toyota or asian cars are cars for the low budget and avarage people.

Lot of you will have a close mind to look critically into this, cos you lack the prerequisite set skills it takes to analyze this cars and establish a solid base of truth based on what's on ground,

but based on my point of view and observations on this our politically castrated roads and cars, I have seen a lot, and what most asian car user would say is,

Cheap parts good fuel economy which can be lopsided illogical conclusion,

Check out most cars you see in mechanic garages in Nigeria, you are seeing japanese and asian cars not because they are just too many but cos these cars are designed without ruggedness and durability in mind, so that's why they spoil easily on the section of the control and handling parts,

My technical analysis for this reason is, a light weight cars can never measure up in terms of parts durability, Benz check, volvo check, BMW check, heavy duty trucks check, from vw mk4, ford check, peugeot check, contrast to japanese cars that are light weight,
I am yet to see or Toyota cars that are not lightweight.

Cheap parts good fuel consumption or better gas mileage but in my book if you buy parts thats supposed to last 3 times more often than fuel,
I am certain you rubbing peter to pay Paul,

Listen for each time a volkswagen, audi, mercedes, bmw opel, volvo car owner purchased one hub for his car,

Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Hyundai, Kia have replaced 4 if not 5,

This is the pure and undiluted truth,

When I speak of volkswagen most of you who have phobia for quality runs into hiding, and found toyota Nissan as your save heaven,

The Volkswagen mk4 that I currently have is going about 3 years now, and has been touring around this forbidden roads we have, that pothole and unfortunate bumps created by poor people will shake you up to heavens.
And the most interesting thing is, the shocks, the hub, brake disk, break pads, cv joints, lower arms haven't been changed, including steering racks and power steering pumps, as much engine mounts and bushing.

Grow up africans, even americans respect German auto makers when quality and durability comes to mind cos American too does quality cars but not competitive to Germany,

German automaker set a high priority for their cars especially their wiring system, take a look at lag as hot and crowded as it is, running 247 non stop, it's not powered by Toyota, nissan or mazda, but VW,

In my experts opinion and statistics, the so called poor masses have a high tolerance for quality than average or middle class,

Aside Toyota hiace or sienna but those actually runs interstate same as sharan not 247 trips..

You will save more and worry less, if you make that switch,

I have friends in Ghana and Sierra Leone and guess what, Toyota cars thats the king of Asian cars is regarded as student cars due to how cheap it cost to buy.. but in Nigeria, it's even more expensive to buy compared to Mercedes or vw,

1 Like

Re: Japanese Cars Cost More To Maintain Than European Cars by 9icetoo(m): 7:03am On Nov 20, 2020
mrcoolautofix:
Lot of you will have a close mind to look critically into this, but based on my point of view and observations on this our politically castrated roads and cars, I have seen a lot, and what most asian car user would say is,

Check most cars you see in mechanic garages, you are seeing japanese and asian cars not because they are many but cos these cars is designed without ruggedness and durability in mind, so that's why they spoil easily on the control and handling parts,

My technical analysis for this reason is, a light weight cars can never measure up in terms of parts durability, Benz check, volvo check, BMW check heavy duty trucks check, from vw mk4 ford check, peugeot check, contrast to japanese cars that are light weight,

Cheap parts good fuel consumption or better gas mileage but in my book if you buy parts more often than fuel, I am certain you rubbing peter to pay Paul,

Listen for each time a volkswagen, audi, mercedes, bmw opel, volvo car owner purchased one hub for his car,

Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Hyundai, Kia have replaced 4 if not 5,

This is the pure and undiluted truth,

When I speak of volkswagen most of you who have phobia for quality runs into hiding, and found toyota Nissan as your save heaven,

The Volkswagen mk4 that I currently have is going about 3 years now, and has been touring around this forbidden roads we have, that pothole and unfortunate bumps created by poor people will shake you up to heavens.
And the most interesting thing is, the shocks, the hub, brake disk, break pads, cv joints, lower arms haven't been changed, including steering racks and power steering pumps, as much engine mounts and bushing.

Grow up africans, even americans respect German auto makers when quality and durability comes to mind,
Lightweight equals poor quality and durability?
Seriously, why do you do this?
You started well but recently.....
Take am easy oo.
If you care to know, some Asian cars weigh more than their european counterparts. But who cares, they are light weight.
Re: Japanese Cars Cost More To Maintain Than European Cars by AmuDimpka: 7:25am On Nov 20, 2020
True I have driven japanese and trust me I was always changing hub, bushing, tyrod , camber and arm

But for the past 7yrs I have driven a benz, I don't know how hub of benz is ...

5 Likes

Re: Japanese Cars Cost More To Maintain Than European Cars by mrcoolautofix(m): 7:26am On Nov 20, 2020
9icetoo:

Lightweight equals poor quality and durability?
Seriously, why do you do this?
You started well but recently.....
Take am easy oo.
If you care to know, some Asian cars weigh more than their european counterparts. But who cares, they are light weight.
Cars that are lighter have lighter parts, cars that are heavy on ground can never use a light weight metals for it parts cos it won't last..
Like check Toyota SUVs and cars, their suv parts last longer than their car parts. Check
Re: Japanese Cars Cost More To Maintain Than European Cars by 9icetoo(m): 8:14am On Nov 20, 2020
mrcoolautofix:

Cars that are lighter have lighter parts, cars that are heavy on ground can never use a light weight metals for it parts cos it won't last..
Like check Toyota SUVs and cars, their suv parts last longer than their car parts. Check
I'm trying to point out the error in your assumption. I am not checking anything.
There are lightweight alloys of steel that are stronger than steel itself.
Duralmin used in making aircraft shells are lighter than aluminium yet they are stronger than aluminum.
My point is light weight does not mean low quality or low strength. The spider silk is stronger than steel. It is lighter.
Mechanical properties go beyond weight.
History of use of the cars are also a factor.
You cannot generalise without data or statistics to back it up.
Reliability studies have always proven otherwise.

3 Likes

Re: Japanese Cars Cost More To Maintain Than European Cars by cluewebhost(m): 8:41am On Nov 20, 2020
I can testify.

Especially when you buy original parts
Re: Japanese Cars Cost More To Maintain Than European Cars by EngRichie: 8:56am On Nov 20, 2020
Japanese cars were top in reliability and are very reliable yet there are elements of truths in the poster's submission. If one is conversant with both, you will likely see the hub thing as a very good example.

1 Like

Re: Japanese Cars Cost More To Maintain Than European Cars by 2cribz: 6:08pm On Nov 21, 2020
Just buy auv at least 1.7m heigh or more and enter pot hole at top speed,no level. Forget sedans
Re: Japanese Cars Cost More To Maintain Than European Cars by 2cribz: 6:08pm On Nov 21, 2020
Just buy suv at least 1.8m height or more and enter pot hole at top speed,no level. Forget sedans.
Re: Japanese Cars Cost More To Maintain Than European Cars by naijadrivablog: 5:23pm On Nov 22, 2020
Who be this
Re: Japanese Cars Cost More To Maintain Than European Cars by Nobody: 6:49pm On Nov 22, 2020
2cribz:
[/b]Just buy suv at least 1.8m height or more and enter pot hole at top speed,no level[b]. Forget sedans.
It seems you're not talking of Nigerian roads. Go and pass shagamu-ikorodu road make you see potholes. No SUV will last up to 5 month if is driven the way you're talking about on that road.
Re: Japanese Cars Cost More To Maintain Than European Cars by snipesdam(m): 7:26pm On Nov 22, 2020
By default almost all cars in 9ja are off road cars.

There is truth in Ops statement. I've done a research on this hub issue and found out that VW hubs are better designed to keep water out of the bearings and toyota hub design isn't better at preventing water from entering the bearings. You can look it up.

Also, our road conditions here in Nigeria is a mess for light weight cars like corolla. Even the owners manual states that if you ply bumpy roads often you should always check your suspension parts (that goes for the ball joints and tie rods).

Those who drive Benz and BMW won't have to abuse it in order not to hurt their pockets. As a Benz or BMW owner, you're always careful about the potholes and the water to swim daily in 9ja. I have a Mini Cooper which I wouldn't try such with. A corolla user would most certainly get the job done through all the pot holes, mud, water and still come out fine.

If you have a light weight car and you try as much as you can to avoid pools of water and muddy roads, you have higher chance that your hub and suspension parts will last longer.

Still on the hub matter, replacing your bearings alone is cheaper but the part is fake and it won't take you more than a month before the howling begins (Fake Chinese knock offs). You're better off buying toks hubs.
Re: Japanese Cars Cost More To Maintain Than European Cars by weyreypey: 7:39pm On Nov 22, 2020
9icetoo:

I'm trying to point out the error in your assumption. I am not checking anything.
There are lightweight alloys of steel that are stronger than steel itself.
Duralmin used in making aircraft shells are lighter than aluminium yet they are stronger than aluminum.
My point is light weight does not mean low quality or low strength. The spider silk is stronger than steel. It is lighter.
Mechanical properties go beyond weight.
History of use of the cars are also a factor.
You cannot generalise without data or statistics to back it up.
Reliability studies have always proven otherwise.
Good to see you finally adding some value.
Re: Japanese Cars Cost More To Maintain Than European Cars by weyreypey: 7:42pm On Nov 22, 2020
German cars Mercedes Benz in particular are more durable than the Japanese offerings. However the Japanese offerings are more reliable than the German cars.

1 Like

Re: Japanese Cars Cost More To Maintain Than European Cars by 9icetoo(m): 8:51am On Nov 23, 2020
weyreypey:

Good to see you finally adding some value.
I will ignore the thinly veiled insult.
What did you finally realise in the other thread?
My posts have always been either to educate or calm tensions.
I will advice you stop following me around. It's not healthy.

1 Like

Re: Japanese Cars Cost More To Maintain Than European Cars by weyreypey: 11:49am On Nov 23, 2020
9icetoo:

I will ignore the thinly veiled insult.
What did you finally realise in the other thread?
My posts have always been either to educate or calm tensions.
I will advice you stop following me around. It's not healthy.
Serious improvements. Keep it up.
Re: Japanese Cars Cost More To Maintain Than European Cars by 9icetoo(m): 1:42pm On Nov 23, 2020
weyreypey:

Serious improvements. Keep it up.

Re: Japanese Cars Cost More To Maintain Than European Cars by dele1727: 3:18pm On Nov 23, 2020
I think the main reason we run from european cars.. is because of our technicians not maintenance....

If skoda from volkswagen gives you problem with wiring and AC.....

You will have an healthy fear of this cars....

Most of our mechanics and rewire don't know a thing about this cars....infact as soon as you
mention this european cars...those with consience or way police don carry before will run away from it...

They are more at home with this Japanese cars...since they mostly have same design

(1) (Reply)

.................mobil 1 Wholesale Order......... / BREAKING NEWS Tesla Model X For Sale In Lagos 120m / Mercedes Benz C200 1997 4rm Cotonou

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.