Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,732 members, 7,820,536 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:38 PM

How Do Retailers Cope With Pilfering? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Do Retailers Cope With Pilfering? (1938 Views)

GROUP IMPORTATION FOR POWER BANKS FOR RETAILERS AND USERS / Non-Ghanaian Retailers Ordered To Leave Ghana Markets In 30 Days / Laundry Services: How do you cope with erratic power, & make profit? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do Retailers Cope With Pilfering? by Justjyde(m): 10:36am On Feb 04, 2006
I don't know about you but in my little experience, the most threat to a retail business (the world over) comes from within – from the Poorly paid Sales Girls and the mostly ambition ridden supervisors to the rather “smart” purchasing officer.

I am an entrepreneur by nature and would have long gone into the retail business but for one thing, I do not have the time (nor the ubiquitous capacity) to stay all day at any (not to mention all) of my proposed multiple outlets.  Now, this is the question.  How have retailers survived over the centuries?  Especially in NIGERIA!

I know that more Pay/Better Conditions of Service have not solved the problem.  So I need to know where to go from here. 

If you know something or Anything or have opinions on this issue….
Re: How Do Retailers Cope With Pilfering? by oasis: 7:45pm On Feb 04, 2006
1. Overhead surveilance cameras may help a bit.

2. Unconditional dismissal of an employee for the slightest infringement may deter some.

3. Place magnetic barcodes on items you're selling.  Then have a scanner at the exit.

4. Have somebody at the door to check people as they leave.  For this to work, you must also test the guy at the door for dishonesty from time to time.  Otherwise, he may collude with friends of his and look the other way when they leave.

In general, there's no foolproof way to prevent stealing from a store.  Even major outlets in the most advanced nations can't handle it. 

There are people who make a living stealing from stores.  When I say people, I mean a whole gang who'd descend on a store at the same time.  Each gang member has a role.  For example, one person may try to distract the security guard, another may block the camera's view, another may be watching the door, etc.

If possible, think of establishing a business online.  Preferably a business that does not involve carrying inventory.
Re: How Do Retailers Cope With Pilfering? by LoverBwoy(m): 1:37am On Feb 05, 2006
yes...CCTV cameras, try get some n make sure its working

try to be a good boss too ,have a good working relationship with ur staff grin

and Smile
Re: How Do Retailers Cope With Pilfering? by Justjyde(m): 4:39am On Feb 05, 2006
Well, these control measures will work just fine until some members of staff connive to "Move" some good stock out of you premises...

Inventory Control, Sales Records.... I know these can be kept online on a PC/Server such that the business owner can keep an eye on his business @ the click of a button or two...

Does any such solution exist in Nigeria with good support? Big businesses need good support....
Re: How Do Retailers Cope With Pilfering? by LoverBwoy(m): 4:45am On Feb 05, 2006
You're in nigeria so you should know. Try askin a member of managemnt of ShopRite or one of those plaza shops. wink
Re: How Do Retailers Cope With Pilfering? by Justjyde(m): 11:17am On Oct 24, 2010
Hey, I took a close and long look at these suggestions 4 years ago and the perfect tool is almost here.

The design phase is over and the development phase is almost done. The tests go along with the design and development. I actually asked that question because I need to run a successfull chain of retail shops. So I am almost done with the solution. I hope you would like to visit my locations to see what I have managed to put in place when the time is right.

I'll keep you updated.
Re: How Do Retailers Cope With Pilfering? by stance(m): 8:47pm On Oct 24, 2010
can u tell us the solution u came up with?
Re: How Do Retailers Cope With Pilfering? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:56pm On Oct 25, 2010
This is a real pain, but a rather crude and clever method my old time electronics dealer in Alaba employed is simple really
1: Any profit made from products sold above the retail price belongs to the salesperson (receipts must tally with Cash register entries)
2: 10% Commissions (on retail price) are given for repeat sales on a customer within a month
3: Daily submission of sales figures must tally with count in store and on shelves otherwise short-fall is deducted from Salary until reconciled
4: Daily prayer sessions and salespersons must go to church at least twice a month in the shop-owners church (usually catholic or chosen)

The crude part which i do not subscribe to is this.
1: Each sales-person must swear an oath and hanging-curse at a shrine to prevent them from stealing failing, they will be cursed to work till death for people without making any progress in life or receiving a profitable FREEDOM party grin

(1) (Reply)

Is Biscuits Still Banned/Prohibited For Import? / Functioning Kernel Crushing Factory Profit Profile-3million/month For Lease / How Can One Re-register If Google Close One 's Adsense Account?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.