Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,478 members, 7,816,123 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:54 AM

Why Are Nigerians This Hypocritical - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Nigerians This Hypocritical (1663 Views)

My Advice To Nigerians This Festive Period. / Why Are Nigerians Too Obsessed With Marriage? / Nigerians With Our Eye Service and hypocritical Attention (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerians This Hypocritical by Tripitaka: 4:44pm On Nov 23, 2020
It is so disgusting.

As I read the oceans of admonishments flowing on the front page about the lady who mocked a young beggar girl, I couldn't help but marvel at the ocean of hypocrisy flowing with. Granted that the lady's action was untoward and outrightly disgraceful, we shouldn't forget that most of the critics are Nigerians who do worse everyday, only difference is that the cameras won't be rolling.

Why are Nigerians so hypocritical?

I read some people say please "God bless me so I can bless others". And I wonder how many people we've blessed with the resources we currently have. Same Nigerians that won't lend a hand unless their is the remotest benefit accruable to them, be it public adulation or materia and sexual gains.

You see Nigerians in foreign countries and they have near perfect etiquette, they join queues, say please, obey traffic rules, pay taxes and respect law enforcement officials but the moment they step foot at MMA, they go back to full animalistic regalia, littering the streets and behaving all shades of horrible.

You see Nigerians shouting Black Lives Matter and asking about likelihood of racism in countries they want to migrate to. While these same people are the most hateful, vile and tribalistic people you may have the misfortune of meeting with very hate inspiring monikers on nairaland.

They pour invectives on women who scold their children whilst they burn other people's kids under their care with electric iron. They give the best marital advises after which they go home to batter their wives.

A host of them come online to condemn premarital sex while they are closet paedophiles and rapists. You say you're destroying beer bottles and cartons, but you don't say a word on the scourge of child marriage, paedophilia and religious killings around you.

Quite disturbing.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians This Hypocritical by lovelybugs(f): 4:46pm On Nov 23, 2020
Omo.
Anyways I think hypocrisy isn't only a Nigerian thing. It's generally something humans do.

As for the difference in our behavior when in vs when out of the country, this is due to the lawlessness of Nigerian..

Humans generally behave like animals when there is no law and order.
Remove that from the so called develop countries and watch everything burn to ashes.

When you know there are no consequences for you action you can behave anyhow.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians This Hypocritical by Tripitaka: 5:06pm On Nov 23, 2020
lovelybugs:
Omo.
Anyways I think hypocrisy isn't only a Nigerian thing. It's generally something humans do.

As for the difference in our behavior when in vs when out of the country, this is due to the lawlessness of Nigerian..

Remove that from the so called develop countries and watch everything burn to ashes.

You're right, it may be a human thing. But I'd say that a typical Nigerian's double standards is mindboggling.
They preach on and on about a virtue, but they don't even give a single fvck about this said virtue. .

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians This Hypocritical by lovelybugs(f): 5:11pm On Nov 23, 2020
Tripitaka:

You're right, it may be a human thing. But I'd say that a typical Nigerian's double standards is mindboggling.
They preach on and on about a virtue, but they don't even give a single fvck about this said virtue. .

Well you're right about that.
There's a certain amount of double standard.
I haven't been able to come up with an explanation for that.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians This Hypocritical by Nobody: 5:49pm On Nov 23, 2020
Sad read.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians This Hypocritical by Darkerberry: 8:24pm On Nov 23, 2020
Sad but true..
I wish we are guided by more/true love and less hate and hypocrisy..
Re: Why Are Nigerians This Hypocritical by Fountainofyouth(f): 8:40pm On Nov 23, 2020
A lady stupidly disgraced herself by herself publicly, means she shouldn't be criticised because people do same in their closet? What should people have done? Praise her and give her a round of applause for a job well done?

You're now bringing examples of behaviours in different countries and other bla bla bla, to justify what exactly?

8 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians This Hypocritical by Fountainofyouth(f): 8:43pm On Nov 23, 2020
[s]
Tripitaka:

[/s]

How do you know people don't give a fvck about virtue? Because of the few virtueless souls you've encountered in life?

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians This Hypocritical by Fountainofyouth(f): 8:45pm On Nov 23, 2020
Darkerberry:
Sad but true..
I wish we are guided by more/true love and less hate and hypocrisy..

What/where is the hate and hypocrisy in what people criticised about her? That lady was evil to a small child.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians This Hypocritical by Fountainofyouth(f): 8:46pm On Nov 23, 2020
I have a problem with people who try to justify nonsense or give stupid reasons why this and that shouldn't be condemned.

9 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians This Hypocritical by Darkerberry: 7:46am On Nov 24, 2020
Fountainofyouth:

What/where is the hate and hypocrisy in what people criticised about her? That lady was evil to a small child.

Hypocrisy is the fact that many people who criticized the lady do more but come out to act all righteous.. doesn't make.what she did right though that's why I still quoted I wish we showed more love!!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians This Hypocritical by Fountainofyouth(f): 8:33am On Nov 24, 2020
Darkerberry:

Hypocrisy is the fact that many people who criticized the lady do more but come out to act all righteous.. doesn't make.what she did right though that's why I still quoted I wish we showed more love!!

Even if many who criticised her do more, how does that justify what she did? How does criticizing her show that they act all righteous? So because some peeps ain't holy, means they shouldn't call a spade a spade? Cos that's the way I see this your argument,

This lady will also criticise another knowing she is a despicable human being, that doesnt mean she shouldn't talk, next time, she shouldn't display her dirty linen in public, simple.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians This Hypocritical by tobechi74: 10:51am On Nov 24, 2020
Let he who is without sin be the first to cast a son

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians This Hypocritical by Liposure: 10:53am On Nov 24, 2020
Agreed nobody is perfect. But if we all turn a blind eye to iniquity evil would florish.
Re: Why Are Nigerians This Hypocritical by Darkerberry: 12:06pm On Nov 24, 2020
Fountainofyouth:

Even if many who criticised her do more, how does that justify what she did? How does criticizing her show that they act all righteous? So because some peeps ain't holy, means they shouldn't call a spade a spade? Cos that's the way I see this your argument,

This lady will also criticise another knowing she is a despicable human being, that doesnt mean she shouldn't talk, next time, she shouldn't display her dirty linen in public, simple.

Pardon me I never watched the said video but on stumbling on this thread, it's made up of 6 paragraphs and only the first talked about this girl you are so focusing on, the rest of each of the following paragraphs talked about what was supposed to be similar scenarios i see as hypocritical.

My observation is basically about this whole thread than just the first paragraph and I'd suggest you read again.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians This Hypocritical by Darkerberry: 12:11pm On Nov 24, 2020
tobechi74:

No, people are so without sins these days.
Even if they have to correct another that was caught they have to over do it cos it is so disgusting to their saint self.
Re: Why Are Nigerians This Hypocritical by Tripitaka: 6:38am On Nov 25, 2020
Darkerberry:

No, people are so without sins these days.
Even if they have to correct another that was caught they have to over do it cos it is so disgusting to their saint self.

Consider for example, our resident nairaland Alfa Males.

They come on here to tell the impressionable ones how they should be emotionless and how they're supposed to handle their women while promoting all shades of toxic masculinity. At the end of which they go home to cry at the feet of their own women.

The sickening hypocrisy entails that these are fantasies that they do not even bring to their own realities. Lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians This Hypocritical by MBSpen: 7:30am On Nov 25, 2020
It might not be double-standards though, if we're going to be really honest: some people find it easier to attack what they're from outside, instead of chastising self, and that helps them to get a greater grip of themselves.
Though, of course, I know there's a great level of hypocrisy, almost everywhere; we all focus on the one that's caught, don't we? Isn't that quite like what this is doing too? Highliting the faults of the persons in that story, isn't it?
There's a problem with our value system after all, and until that gets addressed, I'm afraid we wouldn't really be making any change: aren't we the same people walking the streets and doing these things?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians This Hypocritical by Darkerberry: 11:30am On Nov 25, 2020
Tripitaka:

Consider for example, our resident nairaland Alfa Males.

They come on here to tell the impressionable ones how they should be emotionless and how they're supposed to handle their women while promoting all shades of toxic masculinity. At the end of which they go home to cry at the feet of their own women.

The sickening hypocrisy entails that these are fantasies that they do not even bring to their own realities. Lalasticlala

Exactly bro, they come online forming hard nigga and they are always quick to just call others "simps" meanwhile they are the real simps.
Re: Why Are Nigerians This Hypocritical by Darkerberry: 11:33am On Nov 25, 2020
MBSpen:
It might not be double-standards though, if we're going to be really honest: some people find it easier to attack what they're from outside, instead of chastising self, and that helps them to get a greater grip of themselves.
Though, of course, I know there's a great level of hypocrisy, almost everywhere; we all focus on the one that's caught, don't we? Isn't that quite like what this is doing too? Highliting the faults of the persons in that story, isn't it?
There's a problem with our value system after all, and until that gets addressed, I'm afraid we wouldn't really be making any change: aren't we the same people walking the streets and doing these things?

Yes we are and we agree we gotta do better!
Re: Why Are Nigerians This Hypocritical by Amarisco(f): 6:45am On Nov 26, 2020
lovelybugs:
Omo.

I recall an uncle saying that anytime he gets to Nigeria he has to unlock madness to be able to drive on the roads then re-lock it when he’s leaving.

I find that the issue here isn’t really of human nature, but the Nigerian mentality. You kind of point to this when you say ‘lawlessness of Nigeria’. But I don’t believe we need some leviathan all controlling state to fix that.

Relating it back to hypocrisy, well, unless we appreciate that our mentality collectively has been a catalyst for where we are today, then we will continue to deceive ourselves whilst criticising the rulership.
Re: Why Are Nigerians This Hypocritical by Amarisco(f): 6:49am On Nov 26, 2020
Darkerberry:

Exactly bro, they come online forming hard nigga and they are always quick to just call others "simps" meanwhile they are the real simps.

Thank you.

It’s not even funny at all, I don’t know how I’ve been stumbling across these redpill forums these days but what I read is so alarming.

I’m not even interested in fem not to talk of feminism but how do we expect a nation to thrive when we want to classify 60% of its population as subhuman. Is that not madness? Is that an attitude that will sustain any sort of progressive development in any ramification?

Hian.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians This Hypocritical by Amarisco(f): 7:28am On Nov 26, 2020
I think it’s easy to miss the point here. The actual issue is not about whether we should or should not be calling out bad behaviour, it’s about the societal norms and how consistent they are with our true beliefs/culture.

If it is normal, in Nigeria, for everybody to embezzle in some sort of way, or accept bribery in some sort of way, then it doesn’t make any sense to shun it as though it is an anomaly.

If a behaviour is normal, then why do we shift the goal posts of what is acceptable, depending upon context of the conversation?

The FGN law states that only a monogamous marriage is legal , but a STATE governor (e.g. Murtala Nyako), functioning in the capacity of leadership and interpretation of that same law can legally have 4 wives. Why are we deceiving ourselves? In fact where have we seen someone convicted of such? (I personally just think the law should reflect the truth of marriage)

On the flip side, Nigeria is the most religious country in the world (don’t quote me, but I do know that we have the most churches statistically). Yet, we are ranked in the top 10 for sexual violence and female danger - globally . So there is a a false prescription of spirituality

As with the aforementioned examples in the thread, often a time, a popular Nigeria statement has completely parallel cultural implications or internalisation by the speaker.

It’s almost as if we know how to socially navigate, but inwardly, we know the true values we hold and they don’t need to be consistent with what we portray to other people.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians This Hypocritical by Darkerberry: 11:03am On Nov 27, 2020
Amarisco:

Thank you.

It’s not even funny at all, I don’t know how I’ve been stumbling across these redpill forums these days but what I read is so alarming.

I’m not even interested in fem not to talk of feminism but how do we expect a nation to thrive when we want to classify 60% of its population as subhuman. Is that not madness? Is that an attitude that will sustain any sort of progressive development in any ramification?

Hian.

Very right and I so share same view as bolded in your comment, I wish there is just any other name to use instead of calling ppl of such a view a feminist cos I clearly don't understand or lol the agenda of the so called feminists but I believe in general human rights.. maybe I'd say I'm Humanist..
Re: Why Are Nigerians This Hypocritical by Amarisco(f): 8:17pm On Nov 27, 2020
Darkerberry:

Very right and I so share same view as bolded in your comment, I wish there is just any other name to use instead of calling ppl of such a view a feminist cos I clearly don't understand or lol the agenda of the so called feminists but I believe in general human rights.. maybe I'd say I'm Humanist..

Yes, perhaps a humanitarian suits the mentality. Just having thought towards adequate welfare - for all!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians This Hypocritical by Darkerberry: 8:31pm On Nov 27, 2020
Amarisco:

Yes, perhaps a humanitarian suits the mentality. Just having thought towards adequate welfare - for all!

Peace bro!
Re: Why Are Nigerians This Hypocritical by bukatyne(f): 9:04pm On Nov 27, 2020
tobechi74:

And not a daughter? grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians This Hypocritical by mariahAngel(f): 9:22pm On Nov 27, 2020
bukatyne:

And not a daughter? grin

Eku ojo mewa...
Re: Why Are Nigerians This Hypocritical by angelfallz(m): 10:14pm On Nov 27, 2020
lovelybugs:
Omo.

God bless you.
Re: Why Are Nigerians This Hypocritical by creolehunt: 7:16pm On Nov 28, 2020
Fountainofyouth:
[s][/s]

How do you know people don't give a fvck about virtue? Because of the few virtueless souls you've encountered in life?

Why are some of you so uncouth and uncultured? Couldn't you have given your own opinion and moved on instead of personal attacks?

Dominique, royalroy FP abeg

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians This Hypocritical by Baueress: 7:52am On Nov 29, 2020
Humans aren't fully evolved.

(1) (Reply)

B / Advise Please. My Woman Is Now A One-Minute Woman / Divorce Notification

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.