Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,548 members, 7,827,050 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:44 AM

Greed In Need - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Greed In Need (890 Views)

Muslims Vs Christians: A Struggle Between Ignorance & Greed In Nigeria - Gumi / No Gain In Greed By Pastor Adeboye / Preacher Bureau Of Investigations Exposing The Greed In Our Pulpits (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Greed In Need by wetu: 8:12pm On Mar 21, 2011
Greed is often something associated with the rich. But I've noticed that those who are less well-off can also be greedy. There are people when they are in need and you help them, they simply demand more and more until you actually come to a point where you get tired of them.

I think this is a spirit which is operating in carnal Christians who like to take advantage of other Christians. Brothers and sisters, let us really consider what and how we ask. Your brother or sister is not your personal ATM and messenger all in one, neither is he or she God.

The way they ask is even more distasteful: lying and manipulation. That is witchcraft.

When I deal with carnal Christians, this scripture always stands out:

2Co 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

How do I tell a sister like that to stop without offending her?

Mat 18:15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.

This is the hard part of Christianity.
Re: Greed In Need by Mowire: 11:42pm On Mar 21, 2011
@Poster, tell us: when last did you ask GOD for something? You may need sober reappraisal of ur own xtianity
Re: Greed In Need by Nobody: 2:36am On Mar 22, 2011
Op what you`re experiencing is called burnout. You need time to refresh yourself.
Re: Greed In Need by otokx(m): 4:21am On Mar 22, 2011
poster do not give to those people, they are devourers. Refer them to your pastor/church for assistance and live a moderate lifestyle. Tell them the parable of the 10 virgins.
Re: Greed In Need by KunleOshob(m): 7:07am On Mar 22, 2011
Even a lot of our churches and pastors, especially the pentecostal ones demonstrate greed these days, always endlessly asking for more and they are not willing to even lift an eyebrow to help anyone.
Re: Greed In Need by wetu: 7:59am On Mar 22, 2011
Mowire:

@Poster, tell us: when last did you ask GOD for something? You may need sober reappraisal of your own xtianity

I don't mean you should ask God, ask different people. When someone offers to help, be considerate. If the person is buying you food, don't take luxuries. Don't substitute your brother or sister for God.

You need to read the whole post before commenting:
wetu:

they simply demand more and more until you actually come to a point where you get tired of them.

Asking is not the problem, but your fellow brothers and sisters can easily detect the greedy spirit behind you. This is why they start avoiding you and then you say "Brother Wetu has changed
Re: Greed In Need by wetu: 8:03am On Mar 22, 2011
otokx:

poster do not give to those people, they are devourers. Refer them to your pastor/church for assistance and live a moderate lifestyle. Tell them the parable of the 10 virgins.

The sister goes to a different church. I do live moderately but I helped the married couple through some difficut times with their rent and stuff. So maybe she figured "If he can help with those big problems, these small ones are nothing, just send him a text message with a shopping list for food, it's not a problem for him." That's carnal.
Re: Greed In Need by GreyBeard: 12:12pm On Mar 22, 2011
There is a Magical Word I learnt many years ago that never fails to work every time for me in exactly these situations and I don't mind sharing it here for free. This word is sacred though and should not be over used - but it is extremely effective. Whenever you encounter these people, pronounce this magic word and believe me they just turn around and go away. When they come back, say it again and it will have the same effect. Just keep saying it whenever you feel they are getting too much and it works like a miracle.
The magic word is "NO".

Now remember, some people are more resistant to this magic and may use all kinds of tricks like guilt and so on to make you stop saying this very word. But if they persist, just keep repeating the word and eventually they will always leave you alone.

Give it a try  cool
Re: Greed In Need by Nobody: 2:53pm On Mar 22, 2011
Nature can provide for the [b]needs [/b]of mankind. . .

But it cannot provide for the [b]greed [/b]of mankind. . .
Re: Greed In Need by Joagbaje(m): 5:40pm On Mar 22, 2011
God didnt make you father christmas.you cant meet everybodys need. as much as there is "BEARING ONE ANOTHERS BURDEN" We should however not encourage laziness. it is said that "Its better to teach a man how to fish than giving him fishes" so we must strike the ballance.
when it comes to Giving, as well as any work of ministry, we must be led of the spirit. you do what God ask you to do. you help who God wants you to help. It is wrong for any christian to put his hope on another person. everybody must walk by faith. God didnt create a christian to be a beggar.
Re: Greed In Need by wetu: 8:21pm On Mar 22, 2011
"No!" grin

I will give it a try!
Re: Greed In Need by Mowire: 8:47pm On Mar 22, 2011
@wetu, i read the entire post. now if your motive for giving in 1st instance. a bowel of love will seek solution
Re: Greed In Need by e36991: 12:26am On Mar 24, 2011
wetu:

I don't mean you should ask God, ask different people. 

When someone offers to help, be considerate. If the person is buying you food, don't take luxuries. Don't substitute your brother or sister for God.

You need to read the whole post before commenting:

Asking is not the problem, but your fellow brothers and sisters can easily detect the greedy spirit behind you.

This is why they start avoiding you and then you say "Brother Wetu has changed

@wetu

The "detecting the greedy spirit" bit made me howl with laughter  grin
Re: Greed In Need by Thirst4Lif: 6:59pm On Mar 24, 2011
Set a limit for yourself. Decide what you will or won't do for someone, how much money
you will or won't loan (or give).

Do not feel guilty for telling someone NO when they continue to ask. You've done more
for them than most people so there is no need to beat yourself up.

A couple consists of 2 people. 2 people should be able to accomplish more than the 1
of you.

Do not be taken advantage of. They don't think of you as a great person, they consider
you a fool!
Re: Greed In Need by thehomer: 8:57pm On Mar 24, 2011
Grey Beard:

There is a Magical Word I learnt many years ago that never fails to work every time for me in exactly these situations and I don't mind sharing it here for free. This word is sacred though and should not be over used - but it is extremely effective. Whenever you encounter these people, pronounce this magic word and believe me they just turn around and go away. When they come back, say it again and it will have the same effect. Just keep saying it whenever you feel they are getting too much and it works like a miracle.
The magic word is "NO".

Now remember, some people are more resistant to this magic and may use all kinds of tricks like guilt and so on to make you stop saying this very word. But if they persist, just keep repeating the word and eventually they will always leave you alone.

Give it a try  cool

Hmm interesting.
I don't know if you know this but even "NO!" depends on where you are. So, you have your work cut out for you.
e.g Haven't you heard that in Yale it means something else?
Reference: please do not click me You have been warned.
Re: Greed In Need by Mowire: 11:53pm On Mar 24, 2011
I'm in with thirst4lif, largely. but throwing meal to the grnd from up the ladder will always easily wary. rather pul up

(1) (Reply)

All Christians To Embark On Prayer and Fasting On The 16th, March 2012 / Do We All Come From Adam And Eve? / Salary Range Of Mega-church Pastors Revealed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.