Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,092 members, 7,838,755 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 08:54 AM

Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws (22834 Views)

What My In-Laws Served Me (photo) / Woman Caught By Her In-laws With Her Husband's Friend In A Hotel / 8 Challenges To Face Your 1st Year Of Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by DivineR: 2:48pm On Mar 25, 2011
My meeting with my ex- mom/siblings was funny!!!

The guy was not in the country (Nig) so I have to travel to alone to see his people. Thou I speaks with them on phone.

On that fateful day (Saturday) I took ABC transport to travel to meet my would be in-law, a journey that supposed to last for some hours was delayed to the next day, the bus was so slow, we got to the state very late in the night, I couldn’t continue the journey, the only option left was for me to sleep at the park, I slept at the park, mosquitoes fed on me cry cry, in the morning the sister came to pick me up.

When we got home, there was no water, his mom carried bucket and went to fetch water shocked shocked, in my house that kind of thing never happened, I was so disturbed thinking of what to do, I collected the bucket from the woman to go fetch the water myself with his other sibling, the mother said’’ my daughter pls. let me do it! u need some rest/sleep after this long journey and difficulties encountered’’ I said Mama pls. I will rest later let me do it’’ and she left me. thou it was hard on me cos I can’t remember the last time I placed something on my head, I had no choice than to do it. cry

After fetching water, the sister prepared food, I managed to eat and we left to market to buy stuff needed for (Easter Sunday) that was the same day I came. cry cry cry

Came back from the market, enter kitchen, start preparing stew/dinner for the family (no rest) lipsrsealed

The next day being Sunday, Mama said I will follow her to church , I accepted, dressed up brought out my make up bag to make up, everybody started laughing embarassed! I asked why? they said ‘’Mama’s church doesn’t wear make up and jewelries (that was another one chance) I dressed up set to church with mama without make up, (wasn’t funny) cry lipsrsealed cry

Came back from church, the house was so boring, nobody was at home, I felt so lonely that I couldn’t wait to go back.

Monday morning, before day break I have woken, bath and prepare to go back to my base! grin The visit was funny, but with wonderful experience.
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:53pm On Mar 25, 2011
Im sure that fetch water BS was a test.

and why would anyone go and meet in-laws on their own? Any dude that sends a girl to do that shyt by herself is a jerk.
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by afrobaby(f): 2:57pm On Mar 25, 2011
deleted
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:11pm On Mar 25, 2011
afrobaby:

She is not a crazy mother at all, she is the best mother-in-law u an ever have. The truth is, some ladies can't wash for dia fiance, so i guess she was amazed I did it despite the fat that I was doing like ajebutter, u understand.

and since when is "aje butter" something to be ashamed of? Some people are more successful in life. It is what it is. If some people have a problem with that they could always jump off a bridge.

and my point remains, had she seen use a washing machine to wash his clothes as opposed to using your hands, what do you think would have been her reaction?

Since when does slaving over a person equate to love?
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by SisiKill1: 3:17pm On Mar 25, 2011
ThiefOfHearts:

Since when does slaving over a person equate to love?

That's Naija for you now, everything has to be done the back breaking way.
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:23pm On Mar 25, 2011
Afi bee cheesy
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by afrobaby(f): 3:51pm On Mar 25, 2011
ok
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by Biliamin(m): 4:11pm On Mar 25, 2011
This thread is really funny and interesting.
However, what can a man buy/go with as gift the first time he is meeting his in-laws (informal meeting)? I think this should also be discussed alongside this.

Cheers!!!

1 Like

Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:07pm On Mar 25, 2011
You cant advise me when you dont know the difference between advice and advise. I was merely saying a person shouldnt feel bad cos others perceive them as "aje butter", as for me, I be aje Olive Oil.  cheesy

and for the most part my comments are general. Aint no one talking about your MIL so if anyone should calm down, na you.

and I love how women are such enemies of the other. How do you know there are others who cant wash even with a machine? Women stay deluding themselves just to look good to others even if it means bashing other women in the process. Typical.

Anyway Im done with this thread.  grin

Sisi mi, where you dey? I need entertainment LOL. Might go on Sabbatical again, I tire for the same boring ish. undecided
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by afrobaby(f): 5:37pm On Mar 25, 2011
deleted
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:54pm On Mar 25, 2011
Looks like I hit a nerve

must be a newbie cheesy
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by terbz(m): 10:59am On Mar 26, 2011
hmm shocked it was an experience i will not 4get in a horeal
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by IyaBasira: 10:00pm On Mar 26, 2011
Everything I've read here just looks a lot like sucking up to parents of the future spouse. But i guess its necessary.

@Afrobabe ; I don't think TOH was aiming at you personally. She was trying to say that some mothers in law can be a bit extra , especially with the part where you said she only started warming up after she saw you washing his clothes. Personally I get what TOH was saying because one shouldn't have to wash another persons clothes to be considered a good match. And it looks like if she hadn't seen you washing his clothes , she would have taken LONGER to warm up to you.
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:07pm On Mar 26, 2011
Thank you jare. Dont know why that was hard for her to understand. Perhaps her hubby is on NL and feels she has to defend hiis mother's inital behavior. Talo mo fun.
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by mummy3(f): 12:15pm On Mar 28, 2011
afrobaby:

Though not married, am engaged. Meeting my inlaw for the first time, unfortunately, my father in-law is late, so I only met the mum, wasn't really bad. I felt relaxed because my fiance has already told me that he has d final decision on whom to marry, especially since he is the first child and the breadwinner of the family. Though meeting her at first, she was a bit cold, I even had to ask my fiance if she likes me, but later she opened up, and told me she just wanted to be sure am for real and good for her son. The first time I noticed she actually opened up was the day she saw me washing my fiance's clothes, that was before I bought a washing machine becos e no easy to dey wash men cloth especially jeans.
The main thing is, understand your fiance or fiancee, know what he/she thinks about u, if he/she has decided it's you he/she wants, just be calm and be your natural self, u will be accepted with both arms.
And did I remember to tell you am the apple of my mother-in-law eye, lol, she could not even hide the joy on the day of our introduction , that even my siblings were telling me that my mother-in-law likes me so much, lol
God help us, I pray that the love we have now will not become bitter when we finally get married o, AMIN JESU

Pray very well-o, Because atime e dey sweet for beginning then e go bitter later. According to you, you said he's the bread winner. If you get married now and start having children, the cash inflow to his mum will drop, she wouldnt want to understand if the guy is married or not. She'll say you are the one stopping her son from  giving her the way he used to. So be careful. Limit your visit, be good but minimize it. Dont allow her to get used to your too good. Im talking out of experiened.  You know mother inlaws feel their daughter inlaws are their arrival that will come and block all the good things their sons has been giving to them or that will come and divert their son's heart/caring from them.
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by Outstrip(f): 7:17pm On Mar 28, 2011
mummy3:

Pray very well-o, Because atime e dey sweet for beginning then e go bitter later. According to you, you said he's the bread winner. If you get married now and start having children, the cash inflow to his mum will drop, she wouldnt want to understand if the guy is married or not. She'll say you are the one stopping her son from giving her the way he used to. So be careful. Limit your visit, be good but minimize it. Dont allow her to get used to your too good. Im talking out of experiened. You know mother inlaws feel their daughter inlaws are their arrival that will come and block all the good things their sons has been giving to them or that will come and divert their son's heart/caring from them.

I totally agree with you. That is the one thing that I could never do. I never set that sort of thing for myself. I personally think it is a mistake. I know when I went to Nigeria my husbands oldest sister was a little pushy but I stood my ground. I don't like it when they feel like you should be tested. If you start that way then they know what to keep expecting from you. Even after I stood my ground with her she was cold at first but by the end of the night we were gisting. She's in her 60s and we talked until 2am in the morning. It was nice. Go figure. I did not even enter her kitchen. I had two kids with me and that was my focus. When the food was ready, I ate and then cleaned up after my kids and myself. As for doing his laundry (even with a washine machine) I feel somethings are better left till after the wedding eg sex, his laundry, accepting expensive gifts, his daily cooking etc. You have to remember that you are marrying each other so he is being tested by you just as much as he is testing you.

1 Like

Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:54pm On Mar 28, 2011
Wise advice, Outstrip
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by dayokanu(m): 10:59pm On Mar 28, 2011
Outstrip:

I totally agree with you. That is the one thing that I could never do. I never set that sort of thing for myself. I personally think it is a mistake. I know when I went to Nigeria my husbands oldest sister was a little pushy but I stood my ground. I don't like it when they feel like you should be tested. If you start that way then they know what to keep expecting from you. Even after I stood my ground with her she was cold at first but by the end of the night we were gisting. She's in her 60s and we talked until 2am in the morning. It was nice. Go figure. I did not even enter her kitchen. I had two kids with me and that was my focus. When the food was ready, I ate and then cleaned up after my kids and myself. As for doing his laundry (even with a washine machine) I feel somethings are better left till after the wedding eg [size=28pt]sex[/size], his laundry, accepting expensive gifts, his daily cooking etc. You have to remember that you are marrying each other so he is being tested by you just as much as he is testing you.

You are definitely joking about the part in bold.

Sex till after marriage? Say wetin happen?
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by LadyT(f): 12:44am On Mar 29, 2011
Your a Hot little thing arent you Dayo? grin
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by Outstrip(f): 12:45am On Mar 29, 2011
dayokanu:

You are definitely joking about the part in bold.

Sex till after marriage? Say wetin happen?

Of course I am serious. Abi you are not man enough to wait?  grin  grin  grin
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by Outstrip(f): 12:47am On Mar 29, 2011
LadyT:

Your a Hot little thing arent you Dayo? grin

grin grin grin grin That's it a nutshell. Hot. She will still be there after the wedding. Why confuse things with sex when you should be clear minded in making the most important decision of your lives
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:39am On Mar 29, 2011
Cant say I agree myself but everything else is wise advice cheesy

*waves at T* kiss
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by dayokanu(m): 1:43am On Mar 29, 2011
TOH,

Dont mind them let them be deceiving themselves.

You better test drive what you are buying else na Love Machine go be your husband for the next 40-50yrs
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by Outstrip(f): 2:11am On Mar 29, 2011
dayokanu:

TOH,

Dont mind them let them be deceiving themselves.

You better test drive what you are buying else na love machine go be your husband for the next 40-50yrs

You can talk about sex honestly. Understand what each others expectations are. Unless someone is a pathological liar you should be able to have a good understanding of what you both expect when it comes to sex. I believe in talking frankly about it. The physical part is not a must. I did not say it is easy but I know it can be done if two people agree on it. Anyway I don't want to divert the thread.
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by dayokanu(m): 2:28am On Mar 29, 2011
How can you honestly talk about sex when you dont put it to practise?

Whats vieved as an awesome performance by one would be seen as lousy by another.

Would you take someones word for things like sex, cooking, strenght, beauty etc without sampling for yourself?
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by Nobody: 2:35am On Mar 29, 2011
wow outstrip so no sex before marriage?little wonder your husband is paying for it now. Jk cheesy . Pls don't mind those Hot lot (TOH ,dayo and ladyt).
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:08am On Mar 29, 2011
*waka* @ jenni angry tongue

abeg there are some things your Naija bros "dont believe in", it will not be after Im shackled that I'll find that mess out ni temii o.
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by dayokanu(m): 3:22am On Mar 29, 2011
^^ Mo jeri e.

I trust you. Who would allow them to sell you bad market for the next 40yrs

1 Like

Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by Outstrip(f): 3:26am On Mar 29, 2011
who says I did not sample the goodies  first  grin It is just better to wait

dayokanu:

^^ Mo jeri e.

I trust you. Who would allow them to sell you bad market for the next 40yrs

I knew it was going to be good before we did it. It only happened because we were not disciplined. I knew we were sexually compatible.
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by Nobody: 9:37am On Mar 29, 2011
Lol TOh abeg my advice is test the thing jare, turn it left,right,centre,up and down if you no dey satisfied abeg waka jejely. Life is too short to waste on one weaklingggggggg.

@outstrip
wait gini? Abeg stop am if na play play oooo. Alot of naija men are wolves in sheep clothing. Some of them are one minute dudes, some just ram their yekini inside without lubricating, some even have a book manual for sex on their bed side table that tells/shows them how to insert a condom and how to look for the vaginnnalll hole,some are just learning to suck the n, i, pp, le with their tongue and not their teeth.so make woman wait for this kain disaster abi?tufiakwa
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by Lolabbey: 11:47am On Mar 29, 2011
hmmmmmmmmmmmm,what a topic!!!!!!! it was so cool meeting them
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:13pm On Mar 29, 2011
jennykadry:

@outstrip
wait gini? Abeg stop am if na play play oooo. Alot of naija men are wolves in sheep clothing. Some of them are one minute dudes, some just ram their yekini inside without lubricating, some even have a book manual for sex on their bed side table that tells/shows them how to insert a condom and how to look for the vaginnnalll hole,some are just learning to suck the n, i, pp, le with their tongue and not their teeth.so make woman wait for this kain disaster abi?tufiakwa

Rofl. grin grin

abi? she says talk about it, like they cant get a copy of AskMen or Cosmo and lie that they do this and that then when time comes na epic failure, hahaha

On a serious note, I do see where outstrip is coming from.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Should A Man Be Forced To Marry A Lady He Impregnated By Mistake? / What Mistakes Did You Make And You Don't Want Your Children To Make? / Anambra Woman Gives Birth To Quadruplets After 16 Years Of Marriage (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.