Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,795 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:57 AM

Igbo Word For Precious - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Word For Precious (13778 Views)

Do You Know The Original Word For Wife In Yoruba Language ? / The Original Yoruba Word For Wife Is Aya Not Iyawo. / Please Whats The Yoruba Word For Gay And Lesbian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Word For Precious by Nobody: 1:44am On Feb 22, 2010
ChinenyeN:

That's a dictionary of Oka/Onicha lects.

And this is a problem because?
Re: Igbo Word For Precious by ChinenyeN(m): 12:43pm On Feb 22, 2010
Who said it is a problem? All I said is that it is a dictionary of Oka/Onicha lects. Therefore, the word there are would be their words. It's that simple. No problem involved.

Why do you always seem to get so worked up over "Igbo" issues?
Re: Igbo Word For Precious by fingard02k(m): 4:04pm On Feb 22, 2010
That dictionary is totally nonsense.those thing they wrote there are not correct only 20% are correct.How could a white man know our language more than us that is total nonsense.that thing is not even Awka (Ọka) dialect.
Re: Igbo Word For Precious by Nobody: 3:46pm On Feb 25, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Who said it is a problem? All I said is that it is a dictionary of Oka/Onicha lects. Therefore, the word there are would be their words. It's that simple. No problem involved.

Why do you always seem to get so worked up over "Igbo" issues?

But I just asked why it was a problem. You seem to be the one worked up about this. Since you've said it's not a problem then it's cool.
Re: Igbo Word For Precious by Nobody: 3:48pm On Feb 25, 2010
fingard02k:

That dictionary is totally nonsense.those thing they wrote there are not correct only 20% are correct.How could a white man know our language more than us that is total nonsense.that thing is not even Awka (Ọka) dialect.

Erm maybe because most Igbo people don't care about their language or their culture. They're too busy adoring Europeans and giving their children names like Violet, Donatus, Polycarp, Mary, Veronica, Philomena, Scholastica and so on.
Re: Igbo Word For Precious by ChinenyeN(m): 4:00pm On Feb 25, 2010
sugabelly:

Since you've said it's not a problem then it's cool.
Okay, cool.
Re: Igbo Word For Precious by ezeagu(m): 6:24pm On Feb 25, 2010
ChinenyeN:

That's a dictionary of Oka/Onicha lects.

Purely (with many differences to modern day Igbo orthography).

sugabelly:

most Igbo people don't care about their language or their culture. They're too busy adoring Europeans and giving their children names like Violet, Donatus, Polycarp, Mary, Veronica, Philomena, Scholastica and so on.

I can tell you haven't liven in Igboland for a significant amount of time, or at a mature age. . . . or at all.
Re: Igbo Word For Precious by ChinenyeN(m): 7:04pm On Feb 25, 2010
ezeagu:

True, and even in this modern day, I would still expect to see some orthographic differences (more especially from Oka; not so much from Onicha). All the same, it is what it is; a nice dictionary of Oka/Onicha lects.
Re: Igbo Word For Precious by Nobody: 7:49pm On Feb 27, 2010
ezeagu:

I can tell you haven't liven in Igboland for a significant amount of time, or at a mature age. . . . or at all.

Oh yeah, because now you know all about my travel history and everywhere I've lived from one statement.

Don't be an idiot. You cannot tell a single thing. Stick to things you know.
Re: Igbo Word For Precious by ezeagu(m): 8:04pm On Feb 27, 2010
sugabelly:

Oh yeah, because now you know all about my travel history and everywhere I've lived from one statement.

Don't be an idiot. You cannot tell a single thing. Stick to things you know.

From statements people make you can tell what their experiences are. If I said Igbo is the national language of Nigeria you would know I've never been to Nigeria and know nothing of it, just like when someone says most Igbo people don't care about their culture you would know that that person hasn't lived in an Igbo community for a considerable amount of time, if any. Someone makes an unfounded blanket statement and then tells someone else they don't know anything?
Re: Igbo Word For Precious by Nobody: 2:47am On Feb 28, 2010
ezeagu:

From statements people make you can tell what their experiences are. If I said Igbo is the national language of Nigeria you would know I've never been to Nigeria and know nothing of it, just like when someone says most Igbo people don't care about their culture you would know that that person hasn't lived in an Igbo community for a considerable amount of time, if any. Someone makes an unfounded blanket statement and then tells someone else they don't know anything?

Igbo people not caring about their culture is EVIDENT in every aspect of Igbo life.

However, for you to know anything about where I have lived you HAVE to either know me personally or have seen documents that indicate such information such as my passport or some other travel or residency document and you haven't. So STFU
Re: Igbo Word For Precious by ezeagu(m): 4:22am On Feb 28, 2010
sugabelly:

Igbo people not caring about their culture is EVIDENT in every aspect of Igbo life.

[s]However, for you to know anything about where I have lived you HAVE to either know me personally or have seen documents that indicate such information such as my passport or some other travel or residency document and you haven't. So STFU[/s]

I sometimes read your blog and comment on posts you make. One thing you always state is that you do not make blanket statements without any research, yet you are making one here. For you to say "most Igbo people don't care about their culture" is offensive and gives off a bad impression. You are not the only one who is interested in the preservation of Igbo culture, so you can retire the emotional defeatist posts, for now. If you have lived in Igboland you would not say such a thing, besides have you met every Igbo person to decide that most Igbo people don't care about their culture? This is the point I'm trying to make when I replied to you, you should have cleared that up before replying with "STFU" and "don't be an idiot" to a response that is obviously influenced by irritation, and rightfully so. angry grin We are all on this thread to improve our understanding of Igbo culture, all these unfounded statements does not help anyone, especially on a public platform.
Re: Igbo Word For Precious by Nobody: 4:52am On Mar 01, 2010
ezeagu:

I sometimes read your blog and comment on posts you make. One thing you always state is that you do not make blanket statements without any research, yet you are making one here. For you to say "most Igbo people don't care about their culture" is offensive and gives off a bad impression. You are not the only one who is interested in the preservation of Igbo culture, so you can retire the emotional defeatist posts, for now. If you have lived in Igboland you would not say such a thing, besides have you met every Igbo person to decide that most Igbo people don't care about their culture? This is the point I'm trying to make when I replied to you, you should have cleared that up before replying with "STFU" and "don't be an idiot" to a response that is obviously influenced by irritation, and rightfully so. angry grin We are all on this thread to improve our understanding of Igbo culture, all these unfounded statements does not help anyone, especially on a public platform.

There IS evidence that most Igbo people couldn't be bothered about their culture. If they were then why is Igbo declining so rapidly as a language? Why are there so many Igbo children and adults that don't know the first thing about ANYTHING in Igbo culture?

And as for your statements about where I've lived, I'll say it again. You know nothing about me or where I have lived so keep your comments strictly to what you know.
Re: Igbo Word For Precious by ezeagu(m): 5:13am On Mar 01, 2010
sugabelly:

There IS evidence that most Igbo people couldn't be bothered about their culture. If they were then why is Igbo declining so rapidly as a language? Why are there so many Igbo children and adults that don't know the first thing about ANYTHING in Igbo culture?

And as for your statements about where I've lived, I'll say it again. You know nothing about me or where I have lived so keep your comments strictly to what you know.

Maybe you should follow your own advice. Where did you get that Igbo is a declining language and that most Igbo people couldn't be bothered about their culture? You have to have some kind of reliable source, you can't just be throwing any statement out and expect people to take it as reliable. Reply when you become serious about stating real facts. It likely won't look like this:

sugabelly:

Erm maybe because most Igbo people don't care about their language or their culture. They're too busy adoring Europeans and giving their children names like Violet, Donatus, Polycarp, Mary, Veronica, Philomena, Scholastica and so on.
Re: Igbo Word For Precious by ChinenyeN(m): 12:58pm On Mar 01, 2010
Maybe Sugabelly is speaking of diaspora Igbo. . . but even then, saying that most of them couldn't be bothered about their culture is quite a stretch.
Re: Igbo Word For Precious by ujubekee: 4:04pm On Jul 13, 2010
Umu oma, mma mma nu oooo

Ihe okwu a bu Precious putara bu "Opuruiche"

Igbo oga diri unu mma ooo.
Re: Igbo Word For Precious by 006(m): 2:23pm On Jul 14, 2010
ujubekee:

Umu oma, mma mma nu oooo

Ihe okwu a bu Precious putara bu "Opuruiche"

Igbo oga diri unu mma ooo.

Opuruiche means “it is different”, therefore it is not the same as precious.

Precious means
1 rare; costly
2 valuable; (very) important
3 loved; dear
4 (of behaviour, language) over refined; very formal; affected
5 very great

From the above definitions, no one word in Igbo language fits in, therefore precious could mean several things in Igbo depending on the circumstance.
In Igbo, you’ll have equivalents:
1 Uko (scarce/rare), Onu (costly)
2 Mkpa (important); Oke Mkpa   (very important)
3 Ahurunanya (loved)
4 (no equivalent in Igbo)
5 oke ukwuu (very great)

This means there’s no one word for “precious” in Igbo language.
However, the one that comes closest to it is: enweghi atu (no example), which could equally be interpreted as “priceless”.
To many people, precious = priceless.
Re: Igbo Word For Precious by Baroba(m): 5:51pm On Jul 14, 2010
Ihe di ugwu. Nne di ugwu. Nwa di ugwu. grin
Re: Igbo Word For Precious by 006(m): 9:40pm On Jul 14, 2010
Baroba:

Ihe di ugwu. Nne di ugwu. Nwa di ugwu. grin

Ugwu means dignity.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Japan's Lady Of Eternal Youth / How Can I Get Rid Of My Tribal Marks. / Tokunbo (Second Hand) Virgins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.