Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,565 members, 7,816,382 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:31 AM

Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo (58132 Views)

Ibo Word That Mean The Same In Edo / Check Out This Yoruba Words For A Glutton / Every Word In Ancient Hebrew Torah Are in Yoruba words; sample GEN 9 ver 21-24 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by MyopicMods: 5:34pm On Dec 04, 2020
1. “Omo”

It means “child” in both Yoruba and Edo.

2. “Igbo/Ugbo”

“Igbo” is commonly said by Yoruba, but in some dialects, “Ugbo” is also used and it means the same thing in both Yoruba and Edo.

3. “Baba”

It means “Father” in both Yoruba and Edo.

4. “Oba”

It means “King” in Yoruba and it also means the same thing in Edo.

5. “Iye/Yeye”

The Yoruba might use “Yeye” more but the words mean the same thing in Yoruba and Edo; “Mother”.

6. “Unu/Enu”

Some Yoruba dialects switch the “u” for the “e” in “enu”, so it’s the same thing with Edo and it means, “Mouth”.

7. “Ogede/Oghede”

Apart from the slight different spellings, these words are pronouncd the same and mean the same; “Plantain/Banana”.

8. “Ibata/Bata”

If you can unlook the other ‘i’, this word is really the same thing in both Yoruba and Edo and it means, “Shoe”.

https://www.zikoko.com/life/oldies/8-yoruba-words-mean-thing-edo/

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Nobody: 5:37pm On Dec 04, 2020
Even though I'm Yoruba but I think Igbo language is far better than our language and I urge every Yoruba person to learn Igbo

65 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Kapeter(m): 5:40pm On Dec 04, 2020
Benin=Yoruba=Benin.

62 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Kzinne: 5:41pm On Dec 04, 2020

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Guestlander: 5:42pm On Dec 04, 2020
Mabizela:
Even though I'm Yoruba but I think Igbo language is far better than our language and I urge every Yoruba person to learn Igbo

Even though you are lying, we understand your juvenile and dumb attempt at stirring up a tribal fight.

440 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Nobody: 5:46pm On Dec 04, 2020
Guestlander:

Even though you are lying, we understand your juvenile and dumb attempt at stirring up a tribal fight.
You are not even a Yoruba man like me so what are you doing in this thread

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Guestlander: 5:50pm On Dec 04, 2020
Mabizela:
You are not even a Yoruba man like me so what are you doing in this thread

Your reasoning suggests you cannot be a Yoruba. We are not this dumb.

295 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by TooMuchStuff: 5:51pm On Dec 04, 2020
In Akoko Edo, Yoruba language is mixed with Edo.

49 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Nobody: 5:54pm On Dec 04, 2020
Guestlander:

Your reasoning suggests you cannot be a Yoruba. We are not this dumb.
So says a Mallam from Damaturu who have never been to my tribe Yoruba land

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Pierocash(m): 5:59pm On Dec 04, 2020
Same with ikwerre people who came from Benin according Thugnor governor wike. Ibata is shoe in Ikwerre

grin

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by PCG001: 6:01pm On Dec 04, 2020
ɦɨstօʀʏ ɦaʋɛ ɨt tɦat ɛɖօ ҡɨռɢs aʀɛ aʟsօ քaʀt օʄ օɖʊɖʊաa sօռs
tɦɛʏ օʀɨɢɨռatɛɖ ʄʀօʍ ɨʟɛ-ɨʄɛ
ɛɖօ ʟaռɢʊaɢɛ ɨs a ʍɨxtʊʀɛ օʄ ʏօʀʊɮa aռɖ ɨɢɮօ ʟaռɢʊaɢɛ
tɦɛɨʀ օʀɨɢɨռ ɨs tʀaċɛɖ tօ ɨʟɛ-ɨʄɛ

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by OnyeOhuu: 6:26pm On Dec 04, 2020
Ugbo also means same in Igbo

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by bobowaja(m): 6:42pm On Dec 04, 2020
Mabizela:
Be proud of ur tribe. Don't be a bastard that point his father's house with left hand. Tueh!

115 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by bobowaja(m): 6:44pm On Dec 04, 2020
Mabizela:
So says a Mallam from Damaturu who have never been to my tribe Yoruba land
Ipob miscreants
Be proud of ur tribe. Don't be a bastard that point his father's house with left hand. Tueh!

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by tamdun: 6:45pm On Dec 04, 2020
Mabizela:
Oloshi, omo Igbo

111 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Nobody: 7:45pm On Dec 04, 2020
Mabizela:

This is not necessary.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Unclekayfarms: 7:45pm On Dec 04, 2020
Yoruba. Bini

Aje. Axen. Witch

Ologbo. Ologbo. Cat

Obuko. Ovuko. Male goat

Elede. Elede. Pig

Omi. Amen water (sounds alike)

Ogun. Ogun. god of iron

Sango. Esango. god of thunder

Pepeye. Pepeye. Duck

Adiye. Adiye. Chicken

Iyi. Uyi. Respect

Them too many jare

61 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Notatribalist(m): 8:46pm On Dec 04, 2020
MyopicMods:
1. “Omo”

It means “child” in both Yoruba and Edo.

2. “Igbo/Ugbo”

“Igbo” is commonly said by Yoruba, but in some dialects, “Ugbo” is also used and it means the same thing in both Yoruba and Edo.

3. “Baba”

It means “Father” in both Yoruba and Edo.

4. “Oba”

It means “King” in Yoruba and it also means the same thing in Edo.

5. “Iye/Yeye”

The Yoruba might use “Yeye” more but the words mean the same thing in Yoruba and Edo; “Mother”.

6. “Unu/Enu”

Some Yoruba dialects switch the “u” for the “e” in “enu”, so it’s the same thing with Edo and it means, “Mouth”.

7. “Ogede/Oghede”

Apart from the slight different spellings, these words are pronouncd the same and mean the same; “Plantain/Banana”.

8. “Ibata/Bata”

If you can unlook the other ‘i’, this word is really the same thing in both Yoruba and Edo and it means, “Shoe”.

https://www.zikoko.com/life/oldies/8-yoruba-words-mean-thing-edo/
Imade/Imade

Idowu/Idowu

Both are Yoruba and Edo names.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Nobody: 9:20pm On Dec 04, 2020
Unclekayfarms:
Yoruba. Bini
Aje. Axen. Witch
Ologbo. Ologbo. Cat
Obuko. Ovuko. Male goat
Elede. Elede. Pig
Omi. Amen water (sounds alike)
Ogun. Ogun. God of thunder
Sango. Esango.
Pepeye. Pepeye. Duck

Adiye. Adiye. Chicken
Iyi. Iyi. Respect
Them too many jare
wow

13 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by soundOsonic: 9:43pm On Dec 04, 2020
There are more than 500 words in Edo that are similar to that of the Japanese with the same meaning.
In fact there is a place in Japan called Edo. And Japanese culture is similar to that of the Edo culture when I am free I will write an article on that

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by gregyboy(m): 9:46pm On Dec 04, 2020
I cover this thread with the blood of my ancestors against any benin-ife myth

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Unclekayfarms: 9:49pm On Dec 04, 2020
soundOsonic:

Mouth in ibo onu Edo is inu Yoruba is enu

Oba means king in Bini but Yoruba took it from the bini. It is normal when you stay with people for a long time, they will always be adoption of some words

Baba in Yoruba means father in Edo it is Abale.
Beside baba is not used by the Yorubas alone some tribe across the globe uses it.
Baba is not used by Bini is more like Ipa

6 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by gregyboy(m): 10:05pm On Dec 04, 2020
soundOsonic:

Mouth in ibo onu Edo is inu Yoruba is enu

Oba means king in Bini but Yoruba took it from the bini. It is normal when you stay with people for a long time, they will always be adoption of some words

Baba in Yoruba means father in Edo it is Abale.
Beside baba is not used by the Yorubas alone some tribe across the globe uses it.

Correct guy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by gregyboy(m): 10:06pm On Dec 04, 2020
Unclekayfarms:

Yoruba never took Oba from the Bini the Original Bini were Yorubas and Oba has been the title of Yoruba kings before the first Oba of Bini

Biko, stop this nonsense talk there

14 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by gregyboy(m): 10:07pm On Dec 04, 2020
Unclekayfarms:

Baba is not used by Bini is more like Ipa

Baba is for very old people (80-100)

Epa is used for young old men (40-70)

In benin

12 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by soundOsonic: 10:44pm On Dec 04, 2020
gregyboy:

Baba is for very old people

Epa is used for young old men

In benin

Lol for young old men. Them format your brain? Na joke o

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by gregyboy(m): 12:40am On Dec 05, 2020
soundOsonic:

Lol for young old men. Them format your brain? Na joke o

Ogun dey kill you, and your brain wen dem format

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Delta (and Rivers) Igbos / Groomsmen In Igbo Traditional Attire Will Make Ladies Drool (pictures) / Only The Ooni Of Ife Can Inherit The Late Ooni’s Widows Says Tradition(pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.