Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,771 members, 7,831,478 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:25 PM

Lisabi, Unmasking The Legend Of A Warrior And Stateman - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Lisabi, Unmasking The Legend Of A Warrior And Stateman (663 Views)

Lisabi Agbongbo Akala | Egba History / History: Get To Know The Legend Of Usman Dan Fodio,wars,politics And Works. / Lisabi Festival: Celebration Of Egbaland’s Rich Cultural Heritage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Lisabi, Unmasking The Legend Of A Warrior And Stateman by aje11: 9:47am On Dec 12, 2020
Being a tourist buff with an eye for historical fact made me embark on this journey into the life of Lisabi, the legendary Egba warrior.
it was really a very revealing trip cos so many mysteries were open and some still remained close.
I left Lagos my base for Abeokuta, my home town very early that Saturday morning to meet up with a 10am appointment with my tour guide, what hitherto should be an hour or at most an hour and half journey ended gulping four and half solid hours, no thanks to the deplorable state of the Lagos Abeokuta express way. I finally arrived at the Ake's palace to meet my host, a very jovial elderly man brimming with the Egba history.
He told me that the Lisabi history is a 17th century history, while Abeokuta was founded in 18th century, 1830 to be precise when Sodeke led the Egba people away from the grip of Oyo.( That story is not for today)
Lisabi as far back as the 17th century had earlier fought against the vassals place by the Oyo monarch over the Egbas. At this time, Abeokuta has not been established as a settlement but the Egba people have been in existence with their cultural and social characteristics. Lisabi was able to raised an army to liberate his people. From his base at Igbein, he rallied his Troup and killed their oppressors.
Now for the benefits of this journey, I set out for Igbein, where Lisabi spent his lifetime to find out more about this enigmatic character. I arrived at isale igbein, present day Abeokuta South local government and made my way to Atobalete compound, where it is believed happens to be Lisabi family house. On getting there, the people were reluctant to discuss the reason for my journey insisting I get clearance from higher authority, but not to be denied,I was able to get an elder of the house with the aid of my elderly host, who took me into Lisabi world.
He said that one of the best kept secret is the fact that Lisabi has no family of his own because he spent all his life fighting for his people, therefore does not have time to have a family of his own. That is why all Egba people consider themselves as children of Lisabi and they have the penegyric "Egba' mo Lisabi" ( Egba children of Lisabi)
I was told Lisabi became a god and disappeared in the forest at Oju ore, Oba, at Obafemi Owode local government area of the state.
In celebrating his exploit, the people of Igbein are given the traditional title of "BALOGUN" (Generalissimo) of Egbaland.
pictures below show his family compound as well as his shrine located in the compound.

Thanks for reading, next stop is going to be Ogunmola and Oluyole heritage tour.
for more interesting tour and history, contact kalokabo.com on 09013085819.

(1) (Reply)

Acute Appendicitis: Symptoms, Treatment, Diagnosis, Pain / I'm Getting Worried 'sir' 'sir' 'sir' Everywhere / LiberatedGirl_SJ Voted The Most Beautiful Woman On Earth ( Pics ))

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.