Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,091 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:31 AM

What Does The Bible Mean By The Gates Of Hell? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does The Bible Mean By The Gates Of Hell? (8632 Views)

What Does The Bible Mean By "He That Overcometh Shall Inherit All Things?" / What Does Bible Mean By "The Righteousness That Exceeds That Of The Pharisees?" / Archaeologists Find Gates Of Hell In Saudi Arabia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does The Bible Mean By The Gates Of Hell? by JourneytoEL(f): 5:30am On Dec 13, 2020
Matthew 16: 18

And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

In ancient times, most cities and palaces had two gates, the outer gate that acts as a fortification forte and the inner one. In between the two gates is a passageway where decisions are been made. It served as the court, elites sit there to discuss and share ideas. It was where contracts and transactions were made. In recent times, the gates can be likened to the House of Assembly. In summary the gates are where powers and authorities of a city gather to make decisions.

Let us take a look at other places where gates were mentioned in the bible.

1. Daniel was made Prime minister so he sat in the gates of the King ( Dan 2:49).

2. Absalom judged affairs by the gates ( 2 Sam 15:2).

3. Boaz sealed the deal in front of witnesses to marry Ruth in the gates ( Ruth 4:11).

4. Brideprice was paid at the gates (Deut 22:15)

5. Lot met the Angels while sitting in the gates ( Gen 19:1).

6. Mordecai sat at the King's gate , implying he was of high status hence incurring the wrath of his enemies (Esther 2:21, 5:9).

7. Just judgement are done in the gates ( Amos 5:15)

Note also that the noun used here is plural "gates" not a "gate" of hell. Also the verb used "prevail" means to dominate, gain influence over. A physical gate cannot prevail over its enemies. Prevailing is as a result of offensive attack. The work of physical gates rather is defense.

Hence what the passage means is, the actions and plans of authorities, powers, spiritual rulers of darkness can never prevail against the Church no matter how hard they come. They can use persecutions, trials, wars, genocide but God will ensure that his Children are never wiped away from the face of the earth till the rapture.

Also, whenever the gates of hell at your workplace, city begin to persecute the Church(body of true Christians) and they call upon the Lord their God in heaven, He will stretch his mighty hand and in accordance to his Word, upturn the situation to favour his Children.

Feel free to add your contribution. Happy sunday.

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Does The Bible Mean By The Gates Of Hell? by Mokason288(m): 5:35am On Dec 13, 2020
It doesn’t mean much.... because Heaven also have gates

The gate in Heaven is to Prevent Buhari, Lai Mohammed, Buratai,Lauretta Onochie and femi Adesenya from trespassing

I HOPE I MADE SENSE

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Does The Bible Mean By The Gates Of Hell? by jesusjnr2020(m): 5:58am On Dec 13, 2020
Usually a gate is an illustration of the strength or quality of a house and the things in it, because it is meant to serve as a protector or shield. So the stronger and more qualitative houses including things they contain have stronger and more quality gates.

So the strength or quality of a gate often equates to those of the house and the things inside them.

Therefore "the gates of hell" illustrate the full strength and quality of hell and Satan who resides there, hence what Jesus meant by that saying was that even if Satan comes with his best and everything he had at his disposal against His church, he shall still not prevail (fail).

It's important to note though that the church Jesus spoke of in that case was actually that which He built upon His Words which is the Rock!

God bless.

8 Likes

Re: What Does The Bible Mean By The Gates Of Hell? by Exmilitant(m): 6:30am On Dec 13, 2020
jesusjnr2020:
Usually a gate is an illustration of the strength or quality of a house or the things in it, because it is meant to act as a protector or shield. So the stronger and more qualitative houses including things they contain have stronger and more quality gates.

So the strength or quality of a gate often equates to those of the house and the things inside them.

So the gates of hell refers to the full strength and quality of hell and Satan who resides there, hence Jesus meant by that saying that even if Satan comes with everything he has at his disposal against His church, he shall still not prevail (fail).

It's important to note though that the church Jesus spoke of in that case was actually that which He built upon His Words which is the Rock!

God bless.
The op explains it all. You are just commenting.

4 Likes

Re: What Does The Bible Mean By The Gates Of Hell? by Freestainworld(m): 6:37am On Dec 13, 2020
When they said the gate of hell they where referring to Nigeria.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does The Bible Mean By The Gates Of Hell? by ifytrik(m): 6:40am On Dec 13, 2020
Mokason288:

The gate in Heaven is to Prevent Buhari, Lai Mohammed, Lauretta Onochie and femi Adesenya from trespassing

I HOPE I MADE SENSE
u make brain sha

6 Likes

Re: What Does The Bible Mean By The Gates Of Hell? by simple250: 6:44am On Dec 13, 2020
For my understanding, it means the evil of this world cannot stop you .
Re: What Does The Bible Mean By The Gates Of Hell? by jesusjnr2020(m): 6:55am On Dec 13, 2020
Exmilitant:
The op explains it all. You are just commenting.
It wasn't meant for you if you can't comprehend it.

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Mean By The Gates Of Hell? by Karlovich: 7:13am On Dec 13, 2020
The gates of hell is synonymous with Nigeria

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Mean By The Gates Of Hell? by helinues: 7:15am On Dec 13, 2020
Oyedepo know the meaning and where the hate is located
Re: What Does The Bible Mean By The Gates Of Hell? by grim33(m): 7:45am On Dec 13, 2020
Lol. grin

It’s all an Illusion .

Wakeup9ja
Keepupng

3 Likes

Re: What Does The Bible Mean By The Gates Of Hell? by tobechi74: 7:49am On Dec 13, 2020
Fire can burn down any gate.
Gate of hell mean sex

I want to explore

My self imposed boundary

Fufil my fantasies

Over numerous eyes

Knowing I am being watched

Makes me receptive to the act

Put on revealing dress

And nothing underneath my mini skirt

To plant the desire

In the mind of strangers

Until I met a young man at the bar

Who seems willing to ride

Took bottles to summon courage

And deal with the awkwardness

I felt his hands on me

And his kiss on my neck

I fondled his shaft

And swallowed its contents

I could twist and turn

Over his strong hands that held me firm

I felt his sweat dripping down

Unsure whose name to moan

His experience intoxicated me

He satisfied my deepest longing

He left without words of love

No phone number , No email address

I feel used and dumped

I miss my husband

https://tobechispeaks./tag/passion/
Re: What Does The Bible Mean By The Gates Of Hell? by JourneytoEL(f): 8:41am On Dec 13, 2020
jesusjnr2020:
Usually a gate is an illustration of the strength or quality of a house or the things in it, because it is meant to act as a protector or shield. So the stronger and more qualitative houses including things they contain have stronger and more quality gates.

Therefore "the gates of hell" refer to the full strength and quality of hell and Satan who resides there, hence Jesus meant by that saying that even if Satan comes with everything he has at his disposal against His church, he shall still not prevail (fail).

God bless.
accurate too, thanks for your wonderful contribution.

3 Likes

Re: What Does The Bible Mean By The Gates Of Hell? by Professorcplus(m): 9:17am On Dec 13, 2020
The gate of hell are the evil influences around the people of God and no matter how they try perpetrate into the good doings of Lord word, they will never succeed.

But why do hell and heaven need gate? May be to prevent the occupant from escaping cheesy

2 Likes

Re: What Does The Bible Mean By The Gates Of Hell? by AntiChristian: 9:17am On Dec 13, 2020
On Which rock did Jesus build his church?
Re: What Does The Bible Mean By The Gates Of Hell? by Osiki18(f): 9:18am On Dec 13, 2020
The seven gates leading to hell
Re: What Does The Bible Mean By The Gates Of Hell? by KINGJAJA888(m): 9:18am On Dec 13, 2020
Mokason288:

The gate in Heaven is to Prevent Buhari, Lai Mohammed, Buratai,Lauretta Onochie and femi Adesenya from trespassing

I HOPE I MADE SENSE

Una no go kill person with laughter for dis nairaland

2 Likes

Re: What Does The Bible Mean By The Gates Of Hell? by sassiemyk: 9:19am On Dec 13, 2020
First of all seek the real meaning of hell and then start getting the clearer meaning.
Re: What Does The Bible Mean By The Gates Of Hell? by JoeEeL(m): 9:22am On Dec 13, 2020
You believe in a place where fire burns forever and ever?

And ure asking who got the keys?

Let me ask you a question: Have you ever seen hell before? Have you been there? Has anyone snapped an image of hell before?

And because you find it in a questionable book, you believe that is where people will end up forever and ever and ever.

Please let common sense prevail.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does The Bible Mean By The Gates Of Hell? by Truefaith: 9:25am On Dec 13, 2020
Control of sin

Nowhere in the New Testament did Christ say His followers would always triumph over their persecutors. If that were so the Apostles would not have been murdered.

The gate of hell in the New Testament is about sin making slaves of Christians. That is what Christ foreclosed

www.thetruechristianfaith.com

Re: What Does The Bible Mean By The Gates Of Hell? by Oluwaseun2020(m): 9:26am On Dec 13, 2020
For me hell is not just in heaven
You can be on earth and be in hell..
Once you draw back from what God says...
you will suffer...
Nigeria is worst than hell today because of the works of our hands.
Some marriage are hell
2 chronicle 15:3
For a long time Israel was without the true God, without a priest to teach and without the law.
vs 4
But in their distress they turned to the LORD, the God of Israel, and sought him, and he was found by them.

The moment you connect with God and his laws ..you are free from hell. ..

God sent us an invitation in Isaiah 1:18
"Come now, let us settle the matter," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool.

notice the first sentence
"Come Now"
Today is not late
Re: What Does The Bible Mean By The Gates Of Hell? by MrNipplesLover(m): 9:35am On Dec 13, 2020
Gate of heaven is all I know, sure, that's where I'm going.

thank you, father. ❤❤❤

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Mean By The Gates Of Hell? by Kentuforchrist(m): 9:40am On Dec 13, 2020
jesusjnr2020:

Therefore "the gates of hell" refer to the full strength and quality of hell and Satan who resides there, hence Jesus meant by that saying that even if Satan comes with everything he has at his disposal against His church, he shall still not prevail (fail).

God bless.
gbam gbamer gbamest

2 Likes

Re: What Does The Bible Mean By The Gates Of Hell? by Exmilitant(m): 9:42am On Dec 13, 2020
jesusjnr2020:
It wasn't meant for you if you can't comprehend it.
Stop booking space you know nothing.

3 Likes

Re: What Does The Bible Mean By The Gates Of Hell? by jesusjnr2020(m): 9:46am On Dec 13, 2020
Exmilitant:
Stop booking space you know nothing.
Coming from you it means exactly the opposite.

By the way, I have the right to book spaces as much as I want just as you and every other person does

But you know why my own pains you.

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Mean By The Gates Of Hell? by Yahman1(m): 9:47am On Dec 13, 2020

Han Han

it is an open Secret now

the Gates of Hell as mentioned in the Bible

Refers to all the Border Gates that leads into Nigeria both the Legal and illegal Routes

So OP here is the Answer you seek
I beseige you to search no More

Welcome to Hellgeria

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Mean By The Gates Of Hell? by jesusjnr2020(m): 10:08am On Dec 13, 2020
JourneytoEL:
accurate too, thanks for your wonderful contribution.
Thank you too.

God bless you.
Re: What Does The Bible Mean By The Gates Of Hell? by luvinhubby(m): 10:10am On Dec 13, 2020
Mokason288:

I HOPE I MADE SENSE

You did not. grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Mean By The Gates Of Hell? by NnaNna4(m): 10:32am On Dec 13, 2020
Have u seen ancient gates, they are manned not by civilians but by well trained military who takes order from the the commander.
This military watches the gates against intruders the permissions to let in or out and to fortify and defend the city or initiate an offensive against an entity or entities.

So the gates of hell refers to the authorities (1st gate) and forces (2ndgate) of darkness.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do You Think Jesus Is God? If Yes Then Answer These Questions / / Jehovah Witness! After Admitting This, Why Do You Still Claim Jesus Isn't God?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.