Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,895 members, 7,817,635 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:00 PM

I Need Your Advice On My Career And Choosen Profession. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Need Your Advice On My Career And Choosen Profession. (1468 Views)

I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? / My Career Dilemma / Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Your Advice On My Career And Choosen Profession. by KOYAINT: 9:40am On Mar 25, 2011
I started working as an Auxiliary Teacher in 1980's in Lagos State Schools Management Board.    I was ask to leave teaching in 1985 by the Lagos State Government due to non compliance with getting an Educational related Professional certificate like Grade II Teacher, NCE and First degree in Education.

While at home I put in for UNILAG Computer Science Diploma Programme in which I studied Programming and Operations in Computer Studies and passed out in 1988.

Immediately after my certification, I applied to Nigerian Textile Mills Plc. as Computer Operator and I was employed in 1989.  I served for 12 Years as Computer Operator, Operations supervisor and Asst. Data Processing Supervisor.  which I resigned in 2001 to take appointment in another Organization.  While at NTM I had gone to complete my first degree career in Business Administration at DLI (Distance Learning Institute of University of Lagos)

I applied to Longman Nigeria Plc., as a Data Control Officer in 2001 and I was employed based on my excellent performance and with hard work and trust I was promoted to Data Control Manager in 2004.   While in Longman I decided to put in for an MBA in Marketing which I completed in 2005 at Lagos state University and to now I have not been able to get my MBA results and Certificate due to LASU inability to compute the results and all effots to get my results proved abortive.    In view of this I decided to registered for PGD in Information Technology at the National Open University in 2007 to back up my career in Information Technology and I completed my programme in 2010 and I have gotten To whom it may concern.  On getting my To-whom, My boss did not want me in his department due to fear of my status and used his power to re-deploy me to a department different from my career which is Production Dept.  The Productino Dept. is a more technical area and challenging, The areas of Printing technology Process and certification is not favourable to me and my career, although put all problems aside and I tried to adjust to feet in averagely but I need your advice.

Your best advice and Professional counsel will be appreciated.

- Can I further my career in Information Technology ?
- Can I further my career in Marketing while I followup my results of MBA Marketing LASU ?
- Can I further my career in Business Administration by registering with CIPM ?
- What is your best advice to me on this issue.

I appreciate your advice in advance.

Thanks

Raph.
Re: I Need Your Advice On My Career And Choosen Profession. by AjanleKoko: 9:48am On Mar 25, 2011
My advice: Look for another job. No need to get yourself stuck into doing what you don't like.
Though it sounds like you've been around for a while. You need to try to brush up your IT skills, and do a transition into the modern era. Endure your production department just for the salary, and use your spare time to get any of the current IT certifications. Possibly Oracle.
Re: I Need Your Advice On My Career And Choosen Profession. by KOYAINT: 10:09am On Mar 25, 2011
Dear Ajanlekoko,

I appreciate your advice.

But I want you to further advice me more since I want to give you more detail about me.

The salary I am receiving here is not much and getting another job is difficult.
My salary can only fend for my leaving for now, I can not afford to go for any course with high Price like Oracle, MCSE, MCDBA, ITFL e.t.c.

Based on what you advice me, I still have the following advantage with the organization;

- Taking a career in Marketing, (NIMN)
- Taking a career in HR, (CIPM)
- Taking a career in Accounting, (ICAN)
- Taking a career in Information Tech., (MCITP).

I have Bsc. (Bus. Admin.), PGD (IT), Awaiting result (MBA MKTG). An associate member of Nigerian Institute of Mgt.

Your advice Please !
Re: I Need Your Advice On My Career And Choosen Profession. by pioneer: 6:41pm On Sep 12, 2014
For your NIMN/CIPM/ICAN/ACCA lectures, contact Excel Associates.

Excel Associates is a foremost professional tuition
centre located in Ikorodu that provides lectures for
ATS, ICAN, ACCA, CISA and other programmes. For
enquiries, contact - 07081834869, 09092159476 or e-
mail: excelassociates2020@gmail.com,
info.excelassociates@gmail.com
Re: I Need Your Advice On My Career And Choosen Profession. by amdman: 7:06pm On Sep 12, 2014
If you are passionate about marketing, then that appears to be your best bet, though you do not seem to have any marketing experience. Nevertheless, the skills you have acquired in other areas can be a plus in your marketing career. Your age also may not favour IT, as it is a rapidly changing field that you may find difficulty keeping up with, though it is not an impossibility.

I bet to say that marketing is one of the most sought after skills today. The gap in the system is filled by non-marketing professionals. The problem however appears to be that very few marketers can actually sell. If you can sell, then you are in business.

(1) (Reply)

How Much Of Your Earnings Do You Spend On Transport And Rent? / Picture: See How Long It Take Men And Women To Prepare To Work. / 3000 Sacked As Multinational Oil Companies Pull Out- The Punch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.