Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,132 members, 7,849,548 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 12:08 AM

Did Mungo Park Actually 'Discover' The River Niger? - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Did Mungo Park Actually 'Discover' The River Niger? (27957 Views)

Five Killed As Boat Capsizes In River Niger (Graphic Photos) / Boat Carrying 200 Passengers Break Into 2 In River Niger, Many Feared Dead / Trailer On Fire On River Niger Bridge, Onitsha (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Mungo Park Actually 'Discover' The River Niger? by Munamu: 9:36am On Mar 21, 2021
[quote author=Emyogalanya post=100014285] colonisation has really dealt with this one. Guy the explanation here is that , there were some people at that souce and using the rivers before ur God came all the way from where ever. I've found a river in Africa called Niger. But has been called oshimili long before the 35 year old man came around. Am sure that if they told u that he invented it ,u will still believe it. Emancipate urself from slavery. Gradually Africa will re discover and assert herself.
Pls learn, and don't insult young man. Agreed people had been living along that river from time immemorial. But no European had ever treaded that part before mungo Park. From the view of the Europeans Mungo discovered the river, just like western Africa was discovered.
Re: Did Mungo Park Actually 'Discover' The River Niger? by brownlolly(m): 10:14pm On Mar 21, 2021
Ademola47:
#FactCheck

Who Actually 'discovered' the River Niger?

It's widely believed that Mungo Park 'discovered' the River Niger.

However, there are some unanswered questions to the 'discovery'.

Firstly, history had it that he 'asked' the locals (villagers) for direction to the river. If he was the one that actually 'discovered' the river, how come some people directed him there? Have they not been there before him? How can some people direct him to where he wanted to 'discover'?

Secondly, the locals are believed to be bathing, fishing and fetching water from the 'undiscovered' river. If he was the one that actually 'discovered' the River first, he should be the one to first bath or swim in the river. But this is not so.

Lastly, while some people believe that he discovered the River 'mouth', others believe he discovered it for the British. Why is there no generally accepted direct answer to the question "What did Mungo Park discover"?

Truly, Mungo Park was the first European to discover River Niger. He wrote about his travel in his book, Life and Travels of Mungo Park in Central Africa. It is an interesting read that gives a very vivid and stark experience of life in Africa at a period that we have lost because of our ancestors inability to read and write their experiences during their period of existence.

So, yes, Mungo Park discovered River Niger for England, but our people have always existed around the river all the way from Gambia
Re: Did Mungo Park Actually 'Discover' The River Niger? by Emyogalanya: 2:53am On Mar 22, 2021
[quote author=Munamu post=100069014][/quote] now you are sounding better. Mungo park can/should be celebrated by European countries as the first European man to get to the source. That's very ok with me. For God's sake the man was sent by his country on that expedition they were looking for trading routes in Africa to find way into Africa to subjugate and colonise Africa and he accomplished the mission But think. Why do they use the term "discovered the source of the Niger" when they landed on the moon can u recall the terms they used.? " The first European to land on the moon" why don't they use terms like " the Apollo discovered the source of the Moon"? Did you just say West Africa was discovered? U are forcing me to say the bad thing on my mind but I wont
Re: Did Mungo Park Actually 'Discover' The River Niger? by Munamu: 5:27pm On Mar 22, 2021
Emyogalanya:
now you are sounding better. Mungo park can/should be celebrated by European countries as the first European man to get to the source. That's very ok with me. For God's sake the man was sent by his country on that expedition they were looking for trading routes in Africa to find way into Africa to subjugate and colonise Africa and he accomplished the mission But think. Why do they use the term "discovered the source of the Niger" when they landed on the moon can u recall the terms they used.? " The first European to land on the moon" why don't they use terms like " the Apollo discovered the source of the Moon"? Did you just say West Africa was discovered? U are forcing me to say the bad thing on my mind but I wont

You are entitle to your opinion. Whether you say is or not. If you had understood my first post, you would have known that the summary of the post is that the whole story about Mungo Park was from the European perspective. Just like they said the Europe discovered America .
Re: Did Mungo Park Actually 'Discover' The River Niger? by GerogeI(m): 10:34am On Mar 24, 2021
olisaEze:

The world knows it by a certain name, a name provided by the British.

We however are still operating our system of government no different from the motley group of tribesmen the Europeans met & left behind.

In the committee of nations, such a people have little or no power to effect such a change in world history.

Meanwhile, only Regina can argue with the ancestors broda. grin grin

That's a lie.
The committee of nations is another lie that you are told to keep you down and out. Till today no African has has veto rights on the UN security council, and the only country to ever give up nuclear power is in Africa.

Like they say, power is taken not given. You only need to call the river Orimiri and ignore anyone that says Niger to have a change in the preferred name.
Re: Did Mungo Park Actually 'Discover' The River Niger? by RomeoX(m): 12:44am On Apr 22, 2021
LordReed:

Same here. I keep hearing Mungo Park discover River Niger from people but I never saw that written anywhere.

This is how narration of stories change as different people gives their narration .

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tanker Crushes A Motorcyclist, Others To Death In Rivers State (graphic Photos) / Lady Who Rescued Accident Victims In Lagos Narrates Her Ordeal. Photos / Inside The Magnificent Hermitage Museum Saint Petersburg, Russia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.