Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,081 members, 7,811,030 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:14 PM

Five Killed As Boat Capsizes In River Niger (Graphic Photos) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Five Killed As Boat Capsizes In River Niger (Graphic Photos) (33782 Views)

Cruise Boat Capsizes In Calabar River, 11 Rescued, 3 Still Missing / 76 People Feared Dead As Boat Capsizes In Anambra / Pastor Shedrack Bako, 4 Others Drown As Boat Capsizes In Taraba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Five Killed As Boat Capsizes In River Niger (Graphic Photos) by politicoNG: 8:34pm On Jan 07
Five persons in the early hours of Sunday lost their lives in a boat accident in Anambra State, while 30 others were rescued.

The victims had allegedly sailed from Kogi State to Anambra through the River Niger where they met their untimely deaths.

A source in the riverine area of Anambra West Local Government Area said that the incident happened on Sunday morning.

A video made available to our correspondent showed that the victims comprised mainly women and children.

Though the deceased had yet to be identified as of press time, they were said to hail from a riverine part of Kogi State, and were travelling to Onitsha for business activities.

“Early this morning, a boat that capsized on River Niger. Some of the victims are from parts of Kogi State and Mmiata Anam in Anambra East Local Government Area, according to the eye witnesses,” a source said.

Police authorities in Anambra State confirmed the incident, saying that operatives rushed to the scene of the incident after receiving a distress call, adding that 30 persons were rescued.

Anambra State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Tochukwu Ikenga, said: “The situation is under control. Our marine operatives on getting the distress call about the incident responded swiftly. We were able to rescue over 30 of the passengers alive and recover the five bodies as well as the capsized boat.

“Preliminary information revealed that the boat was from Kogi State, conveying goods and passengers before the unfortunate incident occurred. Meanwhile, the cause is yet to be ascertained, as the investigation is ongoing.”

https://dailytrust.com/5-die-in-anambra-boat-accident/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR3iwnCLfIW6037Zr2N3V4Zzv_kMzOgU7T3xIdaFrPmw77gQ_1qVYNv45MI#Echobox=1704640093

Graphic video:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid05kPJcyvc8M1i51z6dW4qvKAPfDixcrYKqY5K8tNxnynCymmJffiQrqn2L4Jd7mhvl&id=100094560948675&mibextid=Nif5oz

2 Likes

Re: Five Killed As Boat Capsizes In River Niger (Graphic Photos) by phemmie06(m): 8:40pm On Jan 07
May God console their immediate family, other family members and their loved ones

79 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Five Killed As Boat Capsizes In River Niger (Graphic Photos) by Salubata(m): 8:40pm On Jan 07
So sad

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Five Killed As Boat Capsizes In River Niger (Graphic Photos) by NGArmyTerrorist: 8:40pm On Jan 07
Nawaoo!

1 Like

Re: Five Killed As Boat Capsizes In River Niger (Graphic Photos) by NwaNimo1(m): 8:40pm On Jan 07
Cost of fuel crisis..........I blame Tinubu.

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Five Killed As Boat Capsizes In River Niger (Graphic Photos) by Onyeka8: 8:41pm On Jan 07
Sa painful. May they RIP AMEN.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Five Killed As Boat Capsizes In River Niger (Graphic Photos) by Notes4: 8:41pm On Jan 07
No nah
My fear for river is something else

29 Likes

Re: Five Killed As Boat Capsizes In River Niger (Graphic Photos) by okomile(f): 8:42pm On Jan 07
God rest their souls.

New year
Bad news

Na good news we need in 2024. Amen
Re: Five Killed As Boat Capsizes In River Niger (Graphic Photos) by gabazin080(m): 8:42pm On Jan 07
on a Sunday morning

1 Like

Re: Five Killed As Boat Capsizes In River Niger (Graphic Photos) by Oyindidi(f): 8:43pm On Jan 07
bayorrrrmi:
[/b][/color]
[b]
Stop this nonsense
Re: Five Killed As Boat Capsizes In River Niger (Graphic Photos) by PussyKing(m): 8:44pm On Jan 07
Useless country ruined by

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Five Killed As Boat Capsizes In River Niger (Graphic Photos) by Fatbam005: 8:44pm On Jan 07
Risk of life everywhere. Sailing through river Niger
Re: Five Killed As Boat Capsizes In River Niger (Graphic Photos) by DARLINGTON869(m): 8:44pm On Jan 07
I am 100% sure they never wore life jackets for the journey. No be every death be "VILLAGE PIPU" Atimes the victims are their own very demons.

24 Likes

Re: Five Killed As Boat Capsizes In River Niger (Graphic Photos) by 10billionDollar: 8:44pm On Jan 07
No life jackets
Avoidable incident
What a waste of human resources

11 Likes

Re: Five Killed As Boat Capsizes In River Niger (Graphic Photos) by thesicilian: 8:44pm On Jan 07
This is so sad.

10billionDollar:
No life jackets
Avoidable incident
What a waste of human resources
My thoughts exactly.
Can't see any signs or mention of life jackets.
The operators should be heavily penalized

5 Likes

Re: Five Killed As Boat Capsizes In River Niger (Graphic Photos) by obajoey(m): 8:45pm On Jan 07
hmm. Just planning on entering boat tomorrow morning to work and I saw this
Re: Five Killed As Boat Capsizes In River Niger (Graphic Photos) by Emperor4tune(m): 8:45pm On Jan 07
if road transport was affordable wetin go take man go sea waka,this country is a shit hole

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Five Killed As Boat Capsizes In River Niger (Graphic Photos) by NaughtyBrainiac: 8:47pm On Jan 07
No precautions?
Re: Five Killed As Boat Capsizes In River Niger (Graphic Photos) by tuoyoojo(m): 8:47pm On Jan 07
This is so sad

What a way to start the year

My deepest condolences to the families of the deceased

1 Like

Re: Five Killed As Boat Capsizes In River Niger (Graphic Photos) by Jewessgratitud3: 8:47pm On Jan 07
Jeez shocked shocked 👀👀👀..
If you can't swim don't go near big water bodies. I don't try it o. The highest water I had ever crossed with canoe was the third mainland river. The shallow part at the brink of the river that leads to Bariga. it was a short cut but after that once, I never crossed that place again. I would rather take a bus all the way to Bariga market. Me and large water bodies no dey see eye to eye

Sad.

7 Likes

Re: Five Killed As Boat Capsizes In River Niger (Graphic Photos) by Simdyofficial(f): 8:48pm On Jan 07
EEIA:
See wasted kpekus on the left bottom picture cry
seun .. its so sad having this kind of human on earth

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Five Killed As Boat Capsizes In River Niger (Graphic Photos) by coputa(m): 8:48pm On Jan 07
Travelling by boat without life jacket is like signing one's death warrant

3 Likes

Re: Five Killed As Boat Capsizes In River Niger (Graphic Photos) by Gamezi(m): 8:48pm On Jan 07
Five killed ke!

1 Like

Re: Five Killed As Boat Capsizes In River Niger (Graphic Photos) by Focusmind: 8:49pm On Jan 07
What the poor passes through in Nigeria is so depressing. Some of these market women, risks it all with their toddlers to go and buy their " markets " in different places as theycan'tafford a nanny or house girl. I saw one, backing her child trying to climb the back of a trailer loaded with their goods. There is no child care, so they take their infants along with them through the hot sun, navigating through difficult parts to make a living. Looking at those kids that just died, its pathetic. Children that should be at home, being cared for.... so sad.

13 Likes

Re: Five Killed As Boat Capsizes In River Niger (Graphic Photos) by NkanuSon: 8:49pm On Jan 07
Which kind headline is this"five killed",who killed them??
Instead of "five dead"

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ghana Bans Flights From Nigeria, 2 Other Countries Over Ebola / CANADA: A Nigerian Family Says They Face ‘Persecution’ If Deported, Beg To Stay / Terrible Accident In Nyanya Abuja, Many Passengers Killed (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.