Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,959 members, 7,852,238 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 02:24 PM

Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. (4692 Views)

I Have Been Having An Affair With My Elder Brother's Wife – Nigerian Man Reveals / My Elder Brother's Wife Is So Rude. / I Punished My Wife By Sleeping With Her Younger Sister - Nigerian Father Of Two (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by mariahAngel(f): 12:18pm On Dec 17, 2020
bukatyne:

Na today wokeness start?

How can a Yoruba person ask if he should call his elder brother's wife by name?

Sometimes, I try to understand some people here are trolling/ typing out their fantasies.

It doesn't align with what you see in the real world. undecided

That is the consolation!

What goes on nairaland are just mere rants which doesn't change anything.
Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by mariahAngel(f): 12:19pm On Dec 17, 2020
Karleb:

Why did you bring Igbo into this issue kwanu?

In yoruba, the highest form of respect he can give her is iyawo or call her by her child's name not calling her aunty. That is if the the woman in question is ready to call her Baba Oko or Booda.

That's the culture which can be bulllshit sometimes.

Iyawo is the most appropriate till she becomes a mother.
Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by Karleb(m): 12:35pm On Dec 17, 2020
bukatyne:

What is bullshit about not calling your in-laws name or aunty/uncle/Iyawo/egbon etc. especially when you don't see them often?

Even if you see them every day, does it cost you anything?

And you wonder why we lack an identity!

The culture can be bulllshit sometimes. Deal with it!

4 Likes

Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by bukatyne(f): 12:35pm On Dec 17, 2020
mariahAngel:

That is the consolation!

What goes on nairaland are just mere rants which doesn't change anything.

@bold:

grin
Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by bukatyne(f): 12:36pm On Dec 17, 2020
Karleb:

The culture can be bulllshit sometimes. Deal with it!

The culture of not calling in-laws by their names?

I see.
Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by Karleb(m): 12:59pm On Dec 17, 2020
bukatyne:

The culture of not calling in-laws by their names?
I see.
I see you can't read.

1 Like

Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by Liposure: 1:47pm On Dec 17, 2020
mariahAngel:

Iyawo is the most appropriate till she becomes a mother.
at the end of the day, respect is reciprocal

1 Like

Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by NoToPile: 2:00pm On Dec 17, 2020
bukatyne:

Na today wokeness start?

How can a Yoruba person ask if he should call his elder brother's wife by name?

Sometimes, I try to understand some people here are trolling/ typing out their fantasies.

It doesn't align with what you see in the real world. undecided

Some Yoruba peeps do call them by name, I have seen my cousins wife call her brother and sister in law by name .

Both are older than her the female is far more older by the male by some months I think. They also call her by name- My cousins

The day they aunty S tried to extend the name calling to extended family, party scatter grin grin
Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by mariahAngel(f): 2:14pm On Dec 17, 2020
[s]
Karleb:

I see you can't read.
[/s]
You will respect her.
Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by SweetCunt97(f): 6:50pm On Dec 17, 2020
MrHighSea:

Sweetcunt97 good morning,
bros dy house?
No him no dey. Whatagwan
Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by zedegit: 9:40pm On Dec 17, 2020
obeycian:
I have having some thought about this and I would appreciate if you guys could shed more light about it.
My elder brother's wife is way younger than I am, and I HV been calling her by her name. Is it appropriate to do so? Or shud I add a title before name whenever I am addressing her?

Call her "Aunty".
Just joking.

If it makes you feel somehow, you can add 'sis' to her name.
Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by Dijita: 11:42am On Dec 18, 2020
Chiquitq:
Yoruba people take this respect thing seriously.

It might not be a big deal to you or your brother but I'm public, people would town at it

Try to find a nice nickname for her. Bye.

That is why Yoruba give new wife nick name . I guest we have lost that culture.
I will suggest you start calling her madam until she give birth and then you can be using the child name to call her
Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by Dijita: 11:52am On Dec 18, 2020
hafsatadebisi:
I don't see anything wrong with calling your elder brother's wife by her name if she's younger than you. I call my elder brother's wife by her name, my younger sister too calls her by her name too. We don't see any big deal in it, after all it's her name, isn't it? Where we used to live, girls do call women older than them and even old enough to be their mother by their names, they don't see it as a big deal. Instead of someone to refer to me as 'dear' or use the word 'dear' on me, I would prefer he or she to call me by my full names rather, irrespective of whether you're older than me or not. Afterall, they're my names. So, I see no big deal in all these.
It look like you are in diaspora and You are either born in diaspora or left Nigeria at a young age. Yoruba culture count it as disrespect when you call your elders by name.
The bolded comment sounds like my daughter argument with her mom when she insisted her younger ones call her sis. She left Nigeria at the age of 5

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Woman!!!!!! / Is It Right To Stop Poor Folks From Having Kids They can't Cater For? / Why The Rampant Cases Of Divorce? Married Folks Please Share Your Experience.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.