Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,769 members, 7,824,230 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:47 AM

Nigeria In Middle Of Second COVID-19 Wave, ReInfections Happening - LUTH Doctors - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigeria In Middle Of Second COVID-19 Wave, ReInfections Happening - LUTH Doctors (16845 Views)

Israel To Impose Second Covid-19 Lockdown / 4 LUTH Doctors Now On Isolation Over Death Of Coronavirus Patient Who Lied / Luth Doctors Protest 5 Months Unpaid Salaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria In Middle Of Second COVID-19 Wave, ReInfections Happening - LUTH Doctors by Angelfrost(m): 11:51am On Dec 16, 2020
boyjo:

These doctors siding with politicians to act this script is so annoying. Was that the oath they swore? To lie?

Can't blame them... The money or remuneration involved is ridiculously tempting and disarming. grin

My own is... Let them keep the noise strictly in the media, and banish any thought of imitating the lockdown in Europe as they stupidly did last time.

This time around, the consequences will likely bury the nation for good!!!
Re: Nigeria In Middle Of Second COVID-19 Wave, ReInfections Happening - LUTH Doctors by boyjo: 11:53am On Dec 16, 2020
Angelfrost:

Can't blame them... The money or remuneration involved is ridiculously tempting and disarming. grin

My own is... Let them keep the noise strictly in the media, and banish any thought of imitating the lockdown in Europe as they stupidly did last time.

And this thing wet them dey wan mumuishly establish go destroy all of them. Devil no get friend.

They are far better off without the money.
Re: Nigeria In Middle Of Second COVID-19 Wave, ReInfections Happening - LUTH Doctors by Nobody: 11:54am On Dec 16, 2020
Angelfrost:

WRONG!!! at the bold....

Correction: Out of 200 Million Nigerians of which at least 50 million must have been infected since March till date, only less than 0.1% have been tested...

That's not just low, but seriously inept and a huge joke!!!

That's why I keep laughing at all this charade from NCDC and the medical community here. grin

I know there is under-testing, but do you have any proof that 50 million have been infected?

Because, I am sorry, but you are just guesstimating.

Also, I'm not surprised Nigeria has a low level of infection even with the low level of testing.. The US has high rates largely because of high level of contact between the US and Asia where the coivid virus is hypothesized to have jumped from animals to man. As for Europe....Europe is highly connected via good public transport systems.COVID travells via those systems.

Africa? I can't drive from Abuja to Kinsahasa on a good day....whereas, I can drive from London to Warsaw with the right visa and in a shorter period of time.
Re: Nigeria In Middle Of Second COVID-19 Wave, ReInfections Happening - LUTH Doctors by Nobody: 11:54am On Dec 16, 2020
Claudiusdeux:

It is there. Just not in the numbers present in the US or Europe, but it is there.

The thing Nah malaria family. Take anyone with malaria for test if they will not detain that person.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria In Middle Of Second COVID-19 Wave, ReInfections Happening - LUTH Doctors by boyjo: 11:54am On Dec 16, 2020
Angelfrost:

That is actually the plan, to completely destroy the economy.
But they have been decieved to think that they will be spared. Devil no know friend o
Re: Nigeria In Middle Of Second COVID-19 Wave, ReInfections Happening - LUTH Doctors by Nobody: 11:56am On Dec 16, 2020
soulpeppersoup:

The thing Nah malaria family. Take anyone with malaria for test if they will not detain that person.

SARS cov2...is a virus. Malaria is caused by P.falciparum, a protozoa.

A protozoa is a much larger and bigger and different thing compared to a virus.
Re: Nigeria In Middle Of Second COVID-19 Wave, ReInfections Happening - LUTH Doctors by boyjo: 11:56am On Dec 16, 2020
soulpeppersoup:

I can bet you that Claudiusdeux can't hear you.
Re: Nigeria In Middle Of Second COVID-19 Wave, ReInfections Happening - LUTH Doctors by Nobody: 11:57am On Dec 16, 2020
boyjo:

I can bet you that Claudiusdeux can't hear you.

I did.

A virus is not a protozoa and vice versa.

(I did take a microbiology course in university by the way, so i do know.)
Re: Nigeria In Middle Of Second COVID-19 Wave, ReInfections Happening - LUTH Doctors by Nobody: 11:58am On Dec 16, 2020
Claudiusdeux:

SARS cov2...is a virus. Malaria is caused by P.falciparum, a protozoa.

A protozoa is a much larger and bigger and different thing compared to a virus.

So why are people with malaria being detained as Covid 19 patients?
Re: Nigeria In Middle Of Second COVID-19 Wave, ReInfections Happening - LUTH Doctors by Angelfrost(m): 11:58am On Dec 16, 2020
Claudiusdeux:

We medicos are not lying. The thing is real.

And the reason why we are beating the drum is not because COVID is particularly dangerous. The vast majority of people who catch covid19 will not die or fall seriously ill.

The problem is, if the disease is allowed to spread unchecked, the number of seriously ill will overwhelm our available critical care capacity. When that happens, people who have easily manageable diseases like stroke, heart failure, sepsis, etc will not be able to be managed effectively, and as a result there would be avoidable deaths.

During the ebola crisis, Liberian hospitals were overwhelmed by EBOLA cases, to the point that people were dying of common malaria simply because there was no space in the hospital to treat them

Lockdowns are the way forward, till we have an effective treatment, or till the new vaccines are proven to really work

With all due respect, quit this charade...

What spread are you talking about sir?!! Did the spread ever stop since March?!! Did the virus suddenly vanish into thin air and reappear?!!

It's okay to feed off the dumb and gullible, but understand that many more are quite exposed here. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria In Middle Of Second COVID-19 Wave, ReInfections Happening - LUTH Doctors by Nobody: 12:02pm On Dec 16, 2020
soulpeppersoup:

So why are people with malaria being detained as Covid 19 patients?

Most likely they have a concurrent infection.(Very possible. I've seen HIV positive people with concurrent malaria, or tuberculosis for example. )

Plus, most Nigerians tend to identify anything fever as Malaria. Yes, that includes doctors, who treat feverish people for malaria...because malaria is common in this country, and it is best to err on the side of caution.(especially if you are working in a very busy government hospital)

But nowadays, anyone diagnosed as being covid positive has had the test done. The test for covid...and to even qualify, just having fever won't count.
Re: Nigeria In Middle Of Second COVID-19 Wave, ReInfections Happening - LUTH Doctors by Angelfrost(m): 12:08pm On Dec 16, 2020
Claudiusdeux:

I know there is under-testing, but do you have any proof that 50 million have been infected?

Because, I am sorry, but you are just guesstimating.

Also, I'm not surprised Nigeria has a low level of infection even with the low level of testing.. The US has high rates largely because of high level of contact between the US and Asia where the coivid virus is hypothesized to have jumped from animals to man. As for Europe....Europe is highly connected via good public transport systems.COVID travells via those systems.

Africa? I can't drive from Abuja to Kinsahasa on a good day....whereas, I can drive from London to Warsaw with the right visa and in a shorter period of time.

You are trying too hard my good friend... Give it up please.

Maybe you don't know how viruses spread... Go do proper research.

From one person coming into the nation, going to churches, markets, schools, motor parks, etc... The spread might not be as rapid as certain other foreign nation, but it is equally spreading fast, and has never stopped spreading.

What you ought to be saying is the difference in virulence across demographics and nations... This is the aspect I expect intelligent scientists to investigate or look further into... Why is the average homegrown Nigerian less susceptible to this same virus compared to Europeans?!!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria In Middle Of Second COVID-19 Wave, ReInfections Happening - LUTH Doctors by Nobody: 12:09pm On Dec 16, 2020
Claudiusdeux:

Most likely they have a concurrent infection.(Very possible. I've seen HIV positive people with concurrent malaria, or tuberculosis for example. )

Plus, most Nigerians tend to identify anything fever as Malaria. Yes, that includes doctors, who treat feverish people for malaria...because malaria is common in this country, and it is best to err on the side of caution.(especially if you are working in a very busy government hospital)

But nowadays, anyone diagnosed as being covid positive has had the test done. The test for covid...and to even qualify, just having fever won't count.

You don't get it. When the patient gets better at the isolation center from the drug they were with they are discharged. Abi our own covid 19 na different version?
Re: Nigeria In Middle Of Second COVID-19 Wave, ReInfections Happening - LUTH Doctors by ejehijustice(m): 12:12pm On Dec 16, 2020
lalasticlala:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/12/covid-19-nigeria-now-in-middle-of-second-wave-luth-doctors/
What I don't understand about this second wave of covid 19 is the re-infection of people who had had it before.

If people can be re-infected, then how is the vaccine suppose to work? I thought once you have been infected, your body builds an immune response to the virus, which makes it difficult to be re-infected, I thought this is how the vaccine works.

Please medic in the house, I need to be enlightened. Thanks in anticipation
Re: Nigeria In Middle Of Second COVID-19 Wave, ReInfections Happening - LUTH Doctors by Nobody: 12:13pm On Dec 16, 2020
soulpeppersoup:

You don't get it. When the patient gets better at the isolation center from the drug they were with they are discharged. Abi our own covid 19 na different version?

Right now, there is no drug that is proven to work in curing covid. Chloroquine and company have failed RCT'S(Immunotheraphy may work...but that is a big if)

The best to be done is supportive care......

Plus,. COVID , like its common cold brother, is a self limiting virus most of the time...except in a significant minority of cases where it gets out of control
Re: Nigeria In Middle Of Second COVID-19 Wave, ReInfections Happening - LUTH Doctors by Nobody: 12:16pm On Dec 16, 2020
Angelfrost:

You are trying too hard my good friend... Give it up please.

Maybe you don't know how viruses spread... Go do proper research.

From one person coming into the nation, going to churches, markets, schools, motor parks, etc... The spread might not be as rapid as certain other foreign nation, but it is equally spreading fast, and has never stopped spreading.

What you ought to be saying is the difference in virulence across demographics and nations... This is the aspect I expect intelligent scientists to investigate or look further into... Why is the average homegrown Nigerian less susceptible to this same virus compared to Europeans?!!

I know how viruses spread, and they spread in many different ways. But for now, apart from test results, we have no way of knowing how many Nigerians have been infected. The test results are what is giving us the real values.

You are angry with me because you have no proof that 50 million Nigerians were infected.

Provide the proof, or please stop spreading misinformation.

At the end of the day, you won't be dealing with the effects of no control. It's people like me who work in the field whop will have to deal with ICU's filled with covid patients, and not enough space to put them and no space for other patients dying or suffering from other severe illnesses.

Good afternoon.
Re: Nigeria In Middle Of Second COVID-19 Wave, ReInfections Happening - LUTH Doctors by ChiefS(m): 12:18pm On Dec 16, 2020
IamPlato:
I Am Satisfied With The Spread Of This Virus because It Shared Itself Evenly... Both The Poor And Rich Catches it, it Doesnt Matter How Much You Have In Your Account.

That Being Said, i Am Yet To See Who Has The Virus.

There Is A Simple Solution To Coronavirus.

The virus no dey show for face. The symptoms are similar to malaria. Quite a number of people have been infected and recovered without knowing. Even the severe cases may have been misdiagnosed as malaria. IT also acts as a catalyst leading to death of those with underlying conditions with the underlying conditions considered to be the cause of death.
Re: Nigeria In Middle Of Second COVID-19 Wave, ReInfections Happening - LUTH Doctors by Nobody: 12:21pm On Dec 16, 2020
ChiefS:

The virus no dey show for face. The symptoms are similar to malaria. Quite a number of people have been infected and recovered without knowing. Even the severe cases may have been misdiagnosed as malaria.

Not necessarily true.

The only way to definitively diagnose COVID is by test, not by symptom.

Also, a host of things cause fever. Bacteria, viruses, protozoa, worms, etc etc....
Re: Nigeria In Middle Of Second COVID-19 Wave, ReInfections Happening - LUTH Doctors by Angelfrost(m): 12:23pm On Dec 16, 2020
Claudiusdeux:

I know how viruses spread, and they spread in many different ways. But for now, apart from test results, we have no way of knowing how many Nigerians have been infected. The test results are what is giving us the real values.

You are angry with me because you have no proof that 50 million Nigerians were infected.

Provide the proof, or please stop spreading misinformation.

At the end of the day, you won't be dealing with the effects of no control. It's people like me who work in the field whop will have to deal with ICU's filled with covid patients, and not enough space to put them and no space for other patients dying or suffering from other severe illnesses.

Good afternoon.

Angry?!! Lol... About what exactly?!!

Of course I am at liberty to make guesses, and quite poignant ones given the way the nation is or works... I dwell on the reality on ground.

You are wrong again... We can't use that nonsense ncdc projects as a true indication of the state of spread or control of the virus here... Why?!! Simply because the number of tests are ridiculously and laughably minute and far between.

So, while I might truly be wrong with my guess, neither are you or the authorities better informed, so come off that high stool.

What cases in ICU are you talking about?!!!... Please, go have a cold drink!!! Leave matter. grin
Re: Nigeria In Middle Of Second COVID-19 Wave, ReInfections Happening - LUTH Doctors by byinks(f): 12:24pm On Dec 16, 2020
Kikero deux
Re: Nigeria In Middle Of Second COVID-19 Wave, ReInfections Happening - LUTH Doctors by faithfull18(f): 12:25pm On Dec 16, 2020
This people be deceiving themselves.
Re: Nigeria In Middle Of Second COVID-19 Wave, ReInfections Happening - LUTH Doctors by meobizy(f): 12:26pm On Dec 16, 2020
Na them know. Igbo people will still travel for Christmas.
Re: Nigeria In Middle Of Second COVID-19 Wave, ReInfections Happening - LUTH Doctors by boyjo: 12:30pm On Dec 16, 2020
Claudiusdeux:

I did.

A virus is not a protozoa and vice versa.

(I did take a microbiology course in university by the way, so i do know.)

That is what we have been trying to yell you, tiu are being deceived.
Re: Nigeria In Middle Of Second COVID-19 Wave, ReInfections Happening - LUTH Doctors by Elohe001: 12:30pm On Dec 16, 2020
SCAMDEMIC!!!!!!!!!!! grin
Re: Nigeria In Middle Of Second COVID-19 Wave, ReInfections Happening - LUTH Doctors by Nobody: 12:34pm On Dec 16, 2020
boyjo:

That is what we have been trying to yell you, tiu are being deceived.

No, you said that covid was part of the malaria family....

You guys should stop listening to conspiracy theories.

This is not the first time a disease has jumped from animals to humans with harsh results. It won't be the last. It has happened many times in the past, and it is worse than the past because of increased global contacts.

So relax.
Re: Nigeria In Middle Of Second COVID-19 Wave, ReInfections Happening - LUTH Doctors by boyjo: 12:38pm On Dec 16, 2020
Claudiusdeux:

No, you said that covid was part of the malaria family....

You guys should stop listening to conspiracy theories.

This is not the first time a disease has jumped from animals to humans with harsh results. It won't be the last. It has happened many times in the past, and it is worse than the past because of increased global contacts.

So relax.

Yet chloroquine dey cure virus Family. Abeg shift. Where I for talk say Covid dey part of malaria family??
Re: Nigeria In Middle Of Second COVID-19 Wave, ReInfections Happening - LUTH Doctors by Nobody: 12:41pm On Dec 16, 2020
boyjo:

Yet chloroquine dey cure vurua Family. Abeg shift.

All the RCTs done on Chloroquine treating covid have failed to show it works.(It did show some activity in invitro testing...stepping it up to humans showed it did not work)

(Mind you, if it worked, pharma companies would have been manufacturing it by the ton within minutes).

RCT's are the highest level of research re drug therapies.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria In Middle Of Second COVID-19 Wave, ReInfections Happening - LUTH Doctors by Nobody: 12:42pm On Dec 16, 2020
Claudiusdeux:

All the RCTs done on Chloroquine treating covid have failed to show it works.(It did show some activity in invitro testing...stepping it up to humans showed it did not work)

(Mind you, if it worked, pharma companies would have been manufacturing it by the ton within minutes).

Doctor?
Pharmacist?
Bio chemist?

You seem to know much about these science stuff.
Re: Nigeria In Middle Of Second COVID-19 Wave, ReInfections Happening - LUTH Doctors by Nobody: 12:48pm On Dec 16, 2020
Chii59:

Doctor?
Pharmacist?
Bio chemist?

You seem to know much about these science stuff.

Yes, I do work in the medical field.....
Re: Nigeria In Middle Of Second COVID-19 Wave, ReInfections Happening - LUTH Doctors by boyjo: 12:48pm On Dec 16, 2020
Claudiusdeux:

Oga kontinuu to dey decieve yasef o, not me.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria In Middle Of Second COVID-19 Wave, ReInfections Happening - LUTH Doctors by Nobody: 12:49pm On Dec 16, 2020
boyjo:

Oga kontinuu to dey decieve yasef o, not me.

You should read more...real science.

Good day to you. And stop being scared. Big brother is not out to get you. They don't know you exist.
Re: Nigeria In Middle Of Second COVID-19 Wave, ReInfections Happening - LUTH Doctors by boyjo: 12:54pm On Dec 16, 2020
Claudiusdeux:

You should read more...real science.

Good day to you. And stop being scared. Big brother is not out to get you. They don't know you exist.

What shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world and suffer the loss of his own soul?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Reps Consider Making Nurses, Pharmacists, Others To Head Hospitals / COVID-19 Update For January 14 2021 In Nigeria / Test To Know You Have Trypophobia - Graphic Content

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.