Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,587 members, 7,850,975 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 11:44 AM

Striking Lecturers Get Two Months Salary - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Striking Lecturers Get Two Months Salary (19743 Views)

Lecturer Storms Bank With ‘ghana Must Go’ To Withdraw His Entire 8 Months Salary / ASUU: Tambuwal Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers / 27 Months Salary Arrears: Osun Tertiary Institutions Embark On Industrial Action (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Striking Lecturers Get Two Months Salary by Sunday17: 1:10pm On Dec 23, 2020
After wasting time.. they still pay for two month you keep complaining. How about the student time you wasted can it be refunded. Bunch of idiot!!! 4 month ko 9 month ni..
Re: Striking Lecturers Get Two Months Salary by Vanzcharles(m): 1:11pm On Dec 23, 2020
kellybently:

In the evening now ASU ll deny the FG...

Its obvious you are still behind. This comment shouldn't be here, the strike was called off since Morning by past 9 in a live conference which was aired by channels TV.

2 Likes

Re: Striking Lecturers Get Two Months Salary by Angelnath(m): 1:12pm On Dec 23, 2020
Na prof ogunyemi letter fit call off the strike lets wait for that. Fg cant be trusted (esp ngige). Fg wey plan fake abduction fit do fake alert na.

1 Like

Re: Striking Lecturers Get Two Months Salary by jacoik(m): 1:13pm On Dec 23, 2020
please is there anyway the headship of nlc can be replace with assu? because I just keep on loving this assu more because they always know how to hold this wicked government prick and press it well
Re: Striking Lecturers Get Two Months Salary by jacoik(m): 1:14pm On Dec 23, 2020
like for assu share for goment
Re: Striking Lecturers Get Two Months Salary by Kirchoffs: 1:16pm On Dec 23, 2020
IamWonderful:
ASUU holding Nigeria to ransom, imagine after wasting 9 months of youths time, they are still been paid for not doing anything in particular. The same set of lecturers will own private schools and never pay them for even holidays like COVID 19 lockdown
Be reasonable for once.,...
Re: Striking Lecturers Get Two Months Salary by Bar1941(m): 1:18pm On Dec 23, 2020
Between Baba dollard and ASUU executive members, I don't know who is more useless. These lectures are damn selfish, they will lie they are fighting for provision of infrastructures in our tertiary institutions but the underlying reason behind whatever strike they embarked upon is their personal welfare.

Since almost three decades to the best of my knowledge, this people have been using thesame unproductive tactic called strike to demand for their right (as they always claimed) yet the result is always thesame, can't they do away with this archaic method and use a modern way that can guarantee a better outcome? No University union in Africa (except where their is war) locked the gates to learning this days for a year not to talk of Universities around the world, what is wrong with our lecturers?

After collecting the salary now, they are thinking of calling off the strike, however, the reasons they said brought about the strike is still intact and am sure after a year or two they will give thesame foolish reason to embark on another strike.

IT'S HIGH TIME ASUU RECEIVED SOME SENSES.

2 Likes

Re: Striking Lecturers Get Two Months Salary by Zeeknow3245(m): 1:30pm On Dec 23, 2020
To those of you with 5-6 years course duration, my condolences. The ASUU deserve more than that
Re: Striking Lecturers Get Two Months Salary by Nobody: 1:32pm On Dec 23, 2020
pautex:
grin grin, FTC at last, after 3 years of trying. 2021 shall be the best year for us all.

Varsity teachers get two-month salary arrears
They deserved more than that.
Re: Striking Lecturers Get Two Months Salary by Jerewise332(m): 1:40pm On Dec 23, 2020
I thought they've called off the strike?
Re: Striking Lecturers Get Two Months Salary by Elsueno: 1:41pm On Dec 23, 2020
Wallahi, if you chop that nine months salary despite doing NOTHING for that time period but enjoying holiday at home. God will surely judge you!!

U wasted 9 FREAKING months of students time and You still insisted on getting paid. You go hear am soon
Re: Striking Lecturers Get Two Months Salary by Nobody: 1:48pm On Dec 23, 2020
pautex:
grin grin, FTC at last, after 3 years of trying.

chai! is it that hard to get ??
Re: Striking Lecturers Get Two Months Salary by femifezzy(m): 1:51pm On Dec 23, 2020
but i thought the strike as been call off already now
Re: Striking Lecturers Get Two Months Salary by Heybeedee(m): 2:07pm On Dec 23, 2020
Strike has been conditionally suspended by ASUU NEC this morning on a live Press briefing on Channels...I think the moderators should be timely and updated...old news things smh
Re: Striking Lecturers Get Two Months Salary by IgboWarlord(m): 3:02pm On Dec 23, 2020
Mey dem use dat one hold side..At all at all..
Re: Striking Lecturers Get Two Months Salary by starz100: 3:07pm On Dec 23, 2020
How lecturers are collecting salaries without work being done and people are still hailing them beats my imaginations. In other climes this cannot happen.In a saner society the students body suppose to sue both the FG and ASUU for time loss. The students who are at the receiving end suffer it all. Whether FG pays 2months or 4, the truth is FG will pay everything las las, because all that is part of the agreement.
Like someone said, they both are cruising with students and the result is that the education sector will suffer most. The effect will not be felt now but in the future, already a lot of students have drop out, some have traded with their school fees.
Finally, we should learn from country like Singapore how education is run and the value it is worth
Re: Striking Lecturers Get Two Months Salary by bizhop01: 3:16pm On Dec 23, 2020
What's about students? i think strike lectures don't deserve any salary.
Re: Striking Lecturers Get Two Months Salary by Favemmzar200(m): 3:27pm On Dec 23, 2020
berbs:
Two months out of
8 to 9, can u imagine
Re: Striking Lecturers Get Two Months Salary by edoairways: 3:47pm On Dec 23, 2020
IamWonderful:
ASUU holding Nigeria to ransom, imagine after wasting 9 months of youths time, they are still been paid for not doing anything in particular. The same set of lecturers will own private schools and never pay them for even holidays like COVID 19 lockdown
Who told you they didnt work, you think their job description is to teach alone?

1 Like

Re: Striking Lecturers Get Two Months Salary by edoairways: 3:49pm On Dec 23, 2020
starz100:
How lecturers are collecting salaries without work being done and people are still hailing them beats my imaginations. In other climes this cannot happen.In a saner society the students body suppose to sue both the FG and ASUU for time loss. The students who are at the receiving end suffer it all. Whether FG pays 2months or 4, the truth is FG will pay everything las las, because all that is part of the agreement.
Like someone said, they both are cruising with students and the result is that the education sector will suffer most. The effect will not be felt now but in the future, already a lot of students have drop out, some have traded with their school fees.
Finally, we should learn from country like Singapore how education is run and the value it is worth
In other climes, the government will be proactive not the opposite

1 Like

Re: Striking Lecturers Get Two Months Salary by Nobody: 4:49pm On Dec 23, 2020
HigherEd:
Lmao. ASUU, the union that deals with FG. It's unfortunate that medical associations can't use ASUU model, less people would die.

But I must tell you that comparative to healthcare, education is well funded due to the many concessions govt has made.
Do u think there was any strike that benefit the poor?
Outline any benefit of masses stated for their resumption, pls.
After all the formalities at the end of it all they end up begging FG for their withheld salaries and allowances. What a shame!
Re: Striking Lecturers Get Two Months Salary by proffemi: 6:25pm On Dec 23, 2020
Bar1941:
Between Baba dollard and ASUU executive members, I don't know who is more useless.

These lectures are damn selfish, they will lie they are fighting for provision of infrastructures in our tertiary institutions but the underlying reason behind whatever strike they embarked upon is their personal welfare.
And you think it is wrong for a trade union to fight for the welfare of its members?
How is it ASUU's fault that government reneges on agreements? That all entreaties to stakeholders to hold government accountable prove useless? That government fails to respond after multiple warnings? That government fails to show any seriousness in tackling the issues until X months after the commencement of strike actions? If only you followed the news more attentively, you'd realize that the FG has promised to pay N30 billion specifically for infrastructure before Dec 31st.

Since almost three decades to the best of my knowledge, this people have been using thesame unproductive tactic called strike to demand for their right (as they always claimed) yet the result is always thesame,
Unproductive This is incorrect. ASUU strikes have yielded massive dividends over the years. The easiest example I always cite is TETFUND, but over the years, every single strike has led to the injection of more funds into the universities for "revitalization".

can't they do away with this archaic method and use a modern way that can guarantee a better outcome? No University union in Africa (except where their is war) locked the gates to learning this days for a year not to talk of Universities around the world, what is wrong with our lecturers?
We have always requested for smart people like you to propose alternatives that can force successive irresponsible Nigerian governments to fund education, but they always disappear into the woodwork with excuses. I hope you will prove me wrong: please suggest one alternative mechanism that anyone has used to successfully compel Nigerian governments to do anything.

After collecting the salary now, they are thinking of calling off the strike, however, the reasons they said brought about the strike is still intact
Wrong. Ridiculously so. You would do well to familiarize yourself with the list of ASUU's demands and to what extent they have been addressed by government.

am sure after a year or two they will give thesame foolish reason to embark on another strike.
Possible but unlikely. There are elements within ASUU working to chart a new course of action to improve the system. If successful, that new course will reduce strikes. Before you (or students) cheer, I should warn that the new course will be even more unpopular than strikes (hint: y'all will find yourselves paying considerably more tuition. But, hey, there won't be any more strikes...).

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Striking Lecturers Get Two Months Salary by Bar1941(m): 7:14pm On Dec 23, 2020
proffemi:

And you think it is wrong for a trade union to fight for the welfare of its members?
How is it ASUU's fault that government reneges on agreements? That all entreaties to stakeholders to hold government accountable prove useless? That government fails to respond after multiple warnings? That government fails to show any seriousness in tackling the issues until X months after the commencement of strike actions? If only you followed the news more attentively, you'd realize that the FG has promised to pay N30 billion specifically for infrastructure before Dec 31st.

Unproductive This is incorrect. ASUU strikes have yielded massive dividends over the years. The easiest example I always cite is TETFUND, but over the years, every single strike has led to the injection of more funds into the universities for "revitalization".

We have always requested for smart people like you to propose alternatives that can force successive irresponsible Nigerian governments to fund education, but they always disappear into the woodwork with excuses. I hope you will prove me wrong: please suggest one alternative mechanism that anyone has used to successfully compel Nigerian governments to do anything.

Wrong. Ridiculously so. You would do well to familiarize yourself with the list of ASUU's demands and to what extent they have been addressed by government.

Possible but unlikely. There are elements within ASUU working to chart a new course of action to improve the system. If successful, that new course will reduce strikes. Before you (or students) cheer, I should warn that the new course will be even more unpopular than strikes (hint: y'all will find yourselves paying considerably more tuition. But, hey, there won't be any more strikes...).

Cheers.

Thanks for your response sir, the point I was making is that ASUU as an educational sector is an integral part of the economy, if other sectors (Health, Agriculture, Finance etc) of the economy go on strikes the way ASSU does, the country would have been history by now. Many a time some of their demands are outrageous, they stayed away from work with many of them engaging in personal businesses yet expect pay from the government, how can you correct some wrongs with another wrong?

THE PROBLEM ASUU FACES IS NOT ENDEMIC TO ASUU, IT'S THESAME PROBLEM EVERY SECTORS OF THE ECONOMY IS FACING, WE NEED TO GET IT RIGHT FROM THE ROOT (bad leadership) BEFORE WE CAN FORGE AHEAD AND THIS MUST BE A GRADUAL PROCESS NOT ALL AT ONCE AS ASUU ALWAYS WANTED. THE FUTURE OF THE STUDENTS ARE ALWAYS BEING DISTORTED EVERY SECONDS ASSU EMBARKS ON A STRIKE.

MAY GOD HELP OUR NATION.
Re: Striking Lecturers Get Two Months Salary by proffemi: 8:07pm On Dec 23, 2020
[quote author=Bar1941 post=97363971]

...many a time some of their demands are outrageous
ASUU doesn't make outrageous demands. I understand why some demands might appear outrageous to those not fully informed about the enormity of the problems.

they stayed away from work with many of them engaging in personal businesses yet expect pay from the government...
If you mean that they do the above during strikes, then I should remind you that teaching is a relatively small part of our responsibilities. The most important part is research. Don't let the "total and indefinite" part of ASUU strike declarations fool you. Most serious lecturers are usually hard at work during strikes...doing research. Speaking personally, 2020 has been by far my most productive year in God-knows-how-long, strike or no strike.

If you mean lecturers who have other business concerns distracting them during normal academic sessions, first, they are relatively few (at least in my neck of the woods). Second, every single profession has a spectrum of professionals spanning most dedicated to least committed. Lecturing is no different.

...IT'S THESAME PROBLEM EVERY SECTORS OF THE ECONOMY IS FACING, WE NEED TO GET IT RIGHT FROM THE ROOT (bad leadership) BEFORE WE CAN FORGE AHEAD AND THIS MUST BE A GRADUAL PROCESS NOT ALL AT ONCE AS ASUU ALWAYS WANTED.
It looks to me like you're blaming ASUU for other union's imability to handle the FG. There is "peace" in the secondary schools because FG tamed NUT. You know as well as I do that public secondary schools are almost useless. But NUT can no longer fight. Ditto for many other sectors (Hello, NLC...). Other groups that have the FG by the balls are PENGASSAN and the NMA. However, strikes in their respective sectors can't last long because their effects are more catastrophic in the immediate. The bad press would kill the FG. On the other hand, the government finds it easier to ignore ASUU till students start getting restless. So, please don't blame ASUU for successfully tackling the FG just because unions in other sectors can't.

THE FUTURE OF THE STUDENTS ARE ALWAYS BEING DISTORTED EVERY SECONDS ASSU EMBARKS ON A STRIKE.
There is some truth to this, but it isn't ASUU's fault. Your assertion however hints at something I have become more sensitive to: the public usually blames ASUU for the effects of strike actions. We should allow tuition to go up the way FG has always wanted it, and stop going on strike. If the students and their parents don't like the new tuition regime, they should fight the FG themselves. Enough of us taking the blame for fighting government on their behalf.

MAY GOD HELP OUR NATION.
Amin. We need am.

1 Like

Re: Striking Lecturers Get Two Months Salary by PrinceGallant: 8:11pm On Dec 23, 2020
They got paid without working. And they don't know the money is illegitimate. Justice has died in this country, and how would the students be paid for wasting their times? ASUU IS A BAD UNION
Re: Striking Lecturers Get Two Months Salary by berbs: 11:30pm On Dec 23, 2020
Favemmzar200:
8 to 9, can u imagine

If they like, let them resume like that.
Re: Striking Lecturers Get Two Months Salary by kellybently(m): 7:56am On Jan 11, 2021
Vanzcharles:

Its obvious you are still behind. This comment shouldn't be here, the strike was called off since Morning by past 9 in a live conference which was aired by channels TV.

https://www.nairaland.com/6356450/nasu-ssanu-embark-3-day-strike

Hope u see as he be

(1) (2) (Reply)

Covenant, UNN Break Into Times Higher Education (THE) Top 1000 World Rankings / Sorry State Of FUTO Lecture Halls / Dowen Parents Forum Holds Candlelight Procession For Sylvester Oromoni (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.