Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,586 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:51 PM

A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) (22561 Views)

How To Make Vegetable Gravy | A Healthy Alternative to stew (pictures and video) / How To Make Buka Stew (Pictures) / Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) by pocohantas(f): 3:10pm On Dec 27, 2020
There was this thread were people were lamenting the high cost of sachet tomatoes. If you are one of them, this recipe if for you.

Stew is one thing that seems simple to cook, but somehow you realise you are not getting it right. It took me a while to figure it out and there has been no going back, lol.

Anyway, have in mind that the difference between two foods is patience. So, take your time to read and implement these steps. DON’T RUSH THE PROCESS...

Warning: If you are trying to keep fit or you are anti-cholesterol, this thread is not for you abeg.

Things you will need;
— Steamed fresh tomatoes mix. Tomatoes, tatashe (shombo) and habanero pepper. Do this in whatever ratio you want. I recommend 6:4:2 in that order. If the pepper/tatashe is more, the stew would be thinner, but spicier/colourful. So, nothing spoil at all.

— Knorr cubes (chicken)
— GARLIC (fresh or dry)
— GINGER (fresh or dry)
— CURRY
— THYME
— SALT
— Vegetable/Olive oil
— Onions

NOTE;
1- If you can avoid those refill oil, by all means do. They have a way of altering your stew’s taste.

2- If you are confused on seasoning brands to use, check HERE.

3- PLEASE, avoid those unnecessary seasonings in whatever you do. Mix your (natural) spices right and you will get the taste you want. Trust me, there is nothing like jollof seasoning or stew seasoning, it doesn’t exist.

4- I DIDN'T USE “TIN TOMATO” BECAUSE I WANT US TO KNOW WE CAN MAKE PREMIUM STEW WITHOUT IT.

18 Likes 7 Shares

Re: A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) by pocohantas(f): 3:10pm On Dec 27, 2020

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) by pocohantas(f): 3:10pm On Dec 27, 2020

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) by pocohantas(f): 3:12pm On Dec 27, 2020

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) by pocohantas(f): 3:12pm On Dec 27, 2020

4 Likes 3 Shares

7 Likes

Re: A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) by SamuelLoch: 3:14pm On Dec 27, 2020
I need to learn this. I really suffered during that lockdown

1 Like

Re: A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) by pocohantas(f): 3:21pm On Dec 27, 2020
SamuelLoch:
I need to learn this. I really suffered during that lockdown

Care to share how exactly you suffered? cheesy

4 Likes

Re: A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) by Kriss216: 3:24pm On Dec 27, 2020
As easy as ABC... piece of cake
Re: A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) by SamuelLoch: 3:29pm On Dec 27, 2020
pocohantas:

Care to share how exactly you suffered? cheesy

Truth is, I'm not good at cooking, plus I think I'm lazy to cook.

Before the lockdown, my friend's girlfriend cooks stew and soup then we manage to take it up from there or eat out. Sometimes we forget to warm the stew lol!

Even though she has issues, we find a way to let it slide.
Before the lockdown, she travelled then we were eating out until the lock down, mehn! I was finishing Cornflakes and milk in three days

4 Likes

Re: A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) by pocohantas(f): 3:32pm On Dec 27, 2020
Kriss216:
As easy as ABC... piece of cake

You remind me of those people that always direct the driver. “Put hand like this. Enter that one front. No allow that man enter this lane...chuchuchu

Oya, take key and drive. Wahala! They’ll say they don’t like driving another person’s car.

55 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) by Kriss216: 3:35pm On Dec 27, 2020
pocohantas:

You remind me of those people that always direct the driver. “Put hand like this. Enter that one front. No allow that man enter this lane...chuchuchu

Oya, take key and drive. Wahala! They’ll say they don’t like driving another person’s car.
I might be bad in other things, but, when it comes to cooking stew, you still dey trek where I dey. Don't argue please.

3 Likes

Re: A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) by CsRockefeller(m): 3:38pm On Dec 27, 2020
pocohantas:

You can try this recipe for the new year and let me know how it goes.

If you wanna attempt party jollof rice, check HERE

Thank u for remembering me in your kingdom grin
Re: A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) by Kondomatic(m): 3:39pm On Dec 27, 2020
SamuelLoch:

Before the lockdown, my friend's girlfriend cooks stew and soup then we manage to take it up from there or eat out. Sometimes we forget to warm the stew lol!

Before the lockdown, she travelled then we were eating out until the lock down, mehn! I was finishing Cornflakes and milk in three days
Your foods don't necessarily have to be/taste like what this afò nri is posting to be great. You're good so far it doesn't kill you after you eat it.

1 Like

Re: A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) by pocohantas(f): 3:40pm On Dec 27, 2020
SamuelLoch:

Lol. “WE find a way to let it slide”
Are the three of you in the relationship together? I would have thought he’ll be the one letting it slide. cheesy cheesy

Anyway, I believe anyone can cook if they set their mind to it. It is a skill that we all learned on earth. Glad that you want to learn. Feel free to ask questions whenever you experience difficulties. Cornflakes I bought has been there for months. lipsrsealed

5 Likes

Re: A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) by pocohantas(f): 3:44pm On Dec 27, 2020
Kondomatic:
Your foods don't necessarily have to be/taste like what this afò nri is posting to be great. You're good so far it doesn't kill you after you eat it.

Na me be that.

12 Likes

Re: A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) by Bodyodour: 3:47pm On Dec 27, 2020
Red stew is very easy nah.
Re: A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) by zera(m): 3:47pm On Dec 27, 2020
pocohantas:

You can try this recipe for the new year and let me know how it goes.

If you wanna attempt party jollof rice, check HERE

Hi Pocahontas,

Please check your email messages and mentions.
Re: A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) by SamuelLoch: 3:48pm On Dec 27, 2020
Kondomatic:

You're right, I've improved now.
Even though, the salt and Maggi issues still happen.
If it'd not enough, I'd say "I don't like seasoning because of my health"
If it's too much, I'd blame it on those who said I houkd add more.
Re: A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) by SamuelLoch: 3:54pm On Dec 27, 2020
pocohantas:

Lol. “WE find a way to let it slide”
Are the three of you in the relationship together? I would have thought he’ll be the one letting it slide. cheesy cheesy

Anyway, I believe anyone can cook if they set their mind to it. It is a skill that we all learned on earth. Glad that you want to learn. Feel free to ask questions whenever you experience difficulties. Cornflakes I bought has been there for months. lipsrsealed

That's because the abuse is for me and my friend. cheesy

I've started cooking myself but on a scale of 1 to 10, I would say 3. Its like Glo's network, today it taste good, tomorrow we have to manage, recook or dispose it.
Except fried plantain, eggs, noodles, fried chicken/Turkey/fish and the simple ones

3 Likes

Re: A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) by Kondomatic(m): 3:56pm On Dec 27, 2020
cool
Re: A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) by pocohantas(f): 3:56pm On Dec 27, 2020
Bodyodour:
Red stew is very easy nah.

Very true, but I have eaten enough bad RED stews to know it is not easy to cook a GOOD stew. If they don’t show you way, you will most likely never figure it out. You will buy different spices and tire, you will still not get the taste, aroma and colour.

2 Likes

Re: A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) by pocohantas(f): 3:58pm On Dec 27, 2020
Kondomatic:
There's one important item you miss in all your posts even though I am sure you know how important it is for beginners.

You can create a thread for egusi soup, this is for stew please.

I don’t know what that item is, but I try my best to make my recipe simple.
Re: A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) by Eddygourdo(m): 3:59pm On Dec 27, 2020
pocohantas:

Pic 1: Goat meat, chicken and a little kpomo.
Pic 2: As far as I am concerned, ducros is still the best affordable curry powder in the Nigerian market.
Pic 3: Steamed tomatoes mix. Didn’t intend for it to dry this much.
Pic 4: Seasoned meat.
thanks for the mention dear. Merry Christmas. Now you have solved a conundrum I have however you still created small confusion. You said you didn't intend the tomatoes to dry that way, isnt that the best way it should dry? In order not to have an unfried taste? Anyway should it be dry like that as shown in the pic or not. Kindly clarify. Your stew looks yummm. Thanks for the thread
Re: A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) by pocohantas(f): 4:02pm On Dec 27, 2020
SamuelLoch:

That's because the abuse is for me and my friend. cheesy

I've started cooking myself but on a scale of 1 to 10, I would say 3. Its like Glo's network, today it taste good, tomorrow we have to manage, recook or dispose it.
Except fried plantain, eggs, noodles, fried chicken/Turkey/fish and the simple ones

That is because you don’t have a recipe. So you don’t really know what you are doing, somedays you’ll get it- other days...blahhh. That was how my stew game used to be, till I got a recipe.

You need to be particular about your ingredients and TIMING. grin

Apologies on the abuse o. At least she get wetin she dey do for una.

1 Like

Re: A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) by Eddygourdo(m): 4:03pm On Dec 27, 2020
pocohantas:

Pic 1: Bleached oil. You can see my stock behind. Pretty rich. wink
Pic 2: Tomato paste at initial stage
Pic 3: I wasn’t exaggerating when I said LOW HEAT.
Pic 4: At this point you might think you are there, but don’t stop. If you stir it, you will see it is still like a paste.
sorry for disturbance. Can u indicate how one will know it is fried enough. Or should be only by intuition? Maybe when it starts burning and sticking to the bottom (non-stick pot ) ?
Re: A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) by SamuelLoch: 4:03pm On Dec 27, 2020
Kondomatic:
There's one important item you miss out in all your posts even though I am sure you know how important it is for beginners.

@SamuelLoch, as a starter, you don't have to put all the things used in cooking a particular soup, just the necessary ones. That's how I started my own anyways.

Now lemme show you how to cook Egusi soup as beginner.

Things you need.

Water.
Red Oil(good one)
Salt
Onion
Pepper
Ugu Leaves
Magi
Fish.
Beef
Crayfish
And Chilled Bottle Of Macdowell whisky[I have no idea why Poco doesn't recommend this?] or any other blended gin of your choice. Igabada kai kai is also recommended.

*Some add tomatoes but I don't*.

Let's Get Started.

1. Set the pot on your stove(fire) and pour in a cup of water.

2. Open the Macdowell.

3. Wash the beef or fish or both(if you can afford them) with clean water and put them in the pot.

4. Before you proceed, sample the Mac to check for quality.

5. Add some ingredients that you normally use to cook meat, eg. Salt(a little) magi, sliced onion etc and stir small.

6. It must be just right! To be sure the macdowell is of the highest quality, pour 1 level cup of mac into a glass and drink it as fast as you can. Don't Repeat.

7. Mix the ground egusi with water and set aside. Please don't make it watery.

8. Wash the ugu leaves, slice them and set aside.

9. Meanshile, it's important to make sure the Mac is of the finest quality-try another cup.

10. When the meat is almost done, use a tea spoon to put balls of the Egusi into the pot. Please don't stir after putting them. Cook until the balls of egusi starts to break on its own.

11. Now Take another shot of the Mac for consistency.

12. When the egusi starts to break, add red oil and stir.

13. Sample the Mac again to be sure the heat hasn't affected the quality.

14. Add the rest of the items and stir. Cook for 3 minutes.

15. If you are still awake by this time(I hope you are) then drop the soup and start arranging for the garri, poundo, or semo that you will use to enjoy the soup.

I know you must be wondering why you have to drink all that alcohol while cooking?

Well, I will tell you...

First, it keeps your mind in clear state.

2. It will give you something to blame if you use too much salt, pepper or water.

And finally, It will help turn your stomach against food if the soup is tasteless and impossible to eat.

You're welcome.

You wan learn about any other soup?

Just ask.

Amazing!
I would have replace the alcoholic drink with Hollandia Yoghurt but I won't have the appetite to eat after cooking. Lemme just stick to the one that would not turn my head upsidedown.
Anyways, nice tutorial!
Re: A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) by pocohantas(f): 4:04pm On Dec 27, 2020
Eddygourdo:
thanks for the mention dear. Merry Christmas. Now you have solved a conundrum I have however you still created small confusion. You said you didn't intend the tomatoes to dry that way, isnt that the best way it should dry? In order not to have an unfried taste? Anyway should it be dry like that as shown in the pic or not. Kindly clarify. Your stew looks yummm. Thanks for the thread

Nothing wrong if it dries that way. I didn’t want it to dry much because I like it to “boil” in the oil before frying. Helps it fry softer, longer and slower. Anyway is fine. When it dries longer, you just have to watch it closely and stir frequently.

Thanks and welcome. wink

Eddygourdo:
sorry for disturbance. Can u indicate how one will know it is fried enough. Or should be only by intuition? Maybe when it starts burning and sticking to the bottom (non-stick pot ) ?

It gets fragmented. It is no more smooth like a paste and you will see tiny lumps. The oil would also be deep red. The attached pictures is a guide.

2 Likes

Re: A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) by SamuelLoch: 4:10pm On Dec 27, 2020
pocohantas:

That is because you don’t have a recipe. So you don’t really know what you are doing, somedays you’ll get it- other days...blahhh. That was how my stew game used to be, till I got a recipe.

You need to be particular about your ingredients and TIMING. grin

Apologies on the abuse o. At least she get wetin she dey do for una.

That recipe and timing is the secret.
I didn't mention how I leave the kitchen back to playing games, continuing a series or resuming work. By the time I remember or perceive what I'm cooking, its probably too late cheesy
Re: A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) by Kondomatic(m): 4:10pm On Dec 27, 2020
pocohantas:

You can create a thread for egusi soup, this is for stew please.

I don’t know what that item is, but I try my best to make my recipe simple.
Apologies.

Nah, I am not good enough to teach.

The item is Whiskey, MacDowell precisely.

Makes things simpler
Re: A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) by Eddygourdo(m): 4:12pm On Dec 27, 2020
pocohantas:

Nothing wrong if it dries that way. I didn’t want it to dry much because I like it to “boil” in the oil before frying. Helps it fry softer, longer and slower. Anyway is fine. When it dries longer, you just have to watch it closely and stir frequently.

Thanks and welcome. wink
No

It gets fragmented. It is no more smooth like a paste and you will see tiny lumps. The oil would also be deep red. The attached pictures is a guide.
Hmmmm. "boil" in the oil kwa, tiny lumps, Chineke Nna. well it appears I will never learn to cook a stew I will be proud to serve people without worrying they will purge afterwards.

Good job and thread . Your Descriptions are very apt and clear. My brain isn't culinary enough.
Re: A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) by Eddygourdo(m): 4:14pm On Dec 27, 2020
pocohantas:

Thanks and welcome.

that third pic is darker than the other...... So is that when it is done? When it's darker. Abeg no vex for my plenty questions. Tired of eating stew that tastes like raw tomatoes paste diluted with water. no matter my efforts

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Funny Cooking Blunders; Share Your Experience / Ogogoro: 66 Persons Dead In Rivers State / Nagiko Threatened To Kidnap & Kill Me Over Erisco Tomato Review - Chioma Egodi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.