Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,823 members, 7,810,160 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:09 PM

Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice (54430 Views)

The Best Method Of Cooking Nigerian Egusi Soup / A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) / Gambia Beat Nigeria , Ghana And Senegal In Jollof Rice Competition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 1:54pm On Jun 16, 2020
I created a thread previously; How To Make Home Made Ewa Agonyin and despite the “criticism”, I am glad it helped some people. grin

For today, I would like to remind us that we have jollof rice and we have party jollof rice. I don’t need to explain the difference between the two, we all know as e dey go. I get bored with the former, never the latter. I have watched this being cooked a few times and they didn’t put anything special, none that I saw at least, but I never quite got it. Always ended up with sweet concoction rice.

It took me sometime to figure out the process and there has been no going back.

To get this, you have to be thorough and generous with ingredients. There is really no magic.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/11740895_9fcdd30edb384100915fd777e8e92929_jpeg_jpegfd967c6fc5203a749e6281c586ea048c

54 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 1:54pm On Jun 16, 2020

25 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 1:54pm On Jun 16, 2020

29 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 1:55pm On Jun 16, 2020

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by izzou(m): 1:58pm On Jun 16, 2020

pocohantas:

Nonsense somebody grin

Wetin you wan teach us this time?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 1:58pm On Jun 16, 2020

16 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 1:59pm On Jun 16, 2020

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 1:59pm On Jun 16, 2020

40 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by cococandy(f): 2:10pm On Jun 16, 2020
I like how you state ‘normal’ people. Because some of us can eat for Africa cheesy

71 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 2:17pm On Jun 16, 2020
cococandy:
I like how you state ‘normal’ people. Because some of us can eat for Africa cheesy

Ah sis. You get the point o.
Emphasis on NORMAL people. grin grin

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 2:27pm On Jun 16, 2020
I can bet my left breast that this will get to the front page. Someone should rape my comment, please. Thank you. cheesy

47 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by cococandy(f): 2:30pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

Pic 1: Ideal Pot.
Pic 2: Groundnut oil you should avoid, IF YOU CAN...
Pic 3: The rice on the left is Basmati, obviously more beautiful- but not fit for the job. So, I use the thai rice (on the right) for the cooking. However, if you have to use Basmati, do not parboil. Just soak and wash with hot water.
4: Wooden spoon.

I’ve used basmati for jollof before and it turned out really good. I got asked for the recipe multiple times. There are tricks to it. But not really anything difficult.
I use enough oil as it can tend to be dry and basically steam it. Limiting adding water or too much stock.

I know some folks in this food section hate basmati. Let me go before they come for me.

Also you’re still owing me jollof.
I’ll collect kiss

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Goalnaldo(m): 2:34pm On Jun 16, 2020
UyaiIncomparabl:
I can bet my left breast that this will get to the front page. Someone should rape my comment, please. Thank you. cheesy
your small breasts. Bet something bigger cheesy

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 2:39pm On Jun 16, 2020
cococandy:

I’ve used basmati for jollof before and it turned out really good. I got asked for the recipe multiple times. There are tricks to it. But not really anything difficult.
I use enough oil as it can tend to be dry and basically steam it. Limiting adding water or too much stock.

I know some folks in this food section hate basmati. Let me go before they come for me.

Also you’re still owing me jollof.
I’ll collect kiss

Yea there are tricks to it, but I wouldn’t advise a rookie to start doing tricks cheesy. I also would never advise Basmati for bulk cooking. Personal preference o.

The jollof is in Nigeria. tongue

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by dominique(f): 2:43pm On Jun 16, 2020
The onion+tomato paste+grounded tomato frying is the key to getting that party jollof taste. If you don't get the right consistency, no amount of beef or chicken stock can rescue the jollof rice.

38 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Goalnaldo(m): 2:49pm On Jun 16, 2020
Pocohantas so you are a light skinned lady grin . Nice tutorial though. For those of us who sucks at cooking, I'll bookmark this page.

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 2:56pm On Jun 16, 2020
dominique:
The onion+tomato paste+grounded tomato frying is the key to getting that party jollof taste. If you don't get the right consistency, no amount of beef or chicken stock can rescue the jollof rice.

True, but if you fry your tomatoes well and put in too much water, no amount of frying will rescue the jollof rice. It is a combination of factors. That is why I said, one has to be thorough from the start.

8 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by cococandy(f): 2:56pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

Yea there are tricks to it, but I wouldn’t advise a rookie to start doing tricks cheesy. I also would never advise Basmati for bulk cooking. Personal preference o.
True
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Twoclans(f): 3:17pm On Jun 16, 2020
Nice thread poco . cheesy

Your sucre papito should make sure he always hits the gym because you are such a good cook you can turn someone to a whale just by looking at your food pictures.

I feel like I have added so much weight already just by looking at that jollof. cry

6 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Mariangeles(f): 3:19pm On Jun 16, 2020
Poco has found her calling...bad market for agoyin people
Well done.

8 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 3:26pm On Jun 16, 2020
Twoclans:
Nice thread poco . cheesy

Your sucre papito should make sure he always hits the gym because you are such a good cook you can turn someone to a whale just by looking at your food pictures.

I feel like I have added so much weight already just by looking at that jollof. cry

Lmao, thanks Twoclans. I don’t overfeed him. Plus there are so many ways to burn calories na... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 3:26pm On Jun 16, 2020
Mariangeles:
Poco has found her calling...bad market for agoyin people. Well done.

I no kuku get work now. grin grin

7 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 3:28pm On Jun 16, 2020
Goalnaldo:
Pocohantas so you are a light skinned lady grin . Nice tutorial though. For those of us who sucks at cooking, I'll bookmark this page.

Lol. I am not fair, I guess you are just darker than I am. You are welcome. Let me know when you try it. kiss
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Goalnaldo(m): 3:33pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

Lol. I am not fair, I guess you are just darker than I am. You are welcome. Let me know when you try it. kiss
the hand I saw holding the wooden spoon was fair to me. Anyway, email me my own portion of the meal, if it's still available.

2 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by izzou(m): 3:36pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

And you had the guts to call freelancers hermits?

angry angry angry

2 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Mariangeles(f): 3:37pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

Why you been come carry contract give Tico na? You suppose fit handle am
cheesy
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

Pic: Food is ready. I turned properly.
Chai. I won't mind borrowing money to pay 580k brideprice on this one head and I go contribute 120k towards her brother marriage too.

Poco, shebi your papa go accept mek I pay installments? Aswear, I go finish paying in just 25years time, e no go pass am. grin

31 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Sterope(f): 3:45pm On Jun 16, 2020
I read a blog that says that white pepper helps with the party taste. I should try that.

I don't have the patience to wait for the evaporation grin. I pour everything in and steam the hell out of it. It comes out nice but not as nice as party jollof rice. My mum manages to get the party taste with tomato passata, red bell peppers, onions and ata rodo. I don't know how.

Basmati can actually be really good especially the golden sella and supreme sella types of basmati rice. Have you tried cooking jollof in multicooker?

pocohantas:

Pic: Food is ready. I turned properly.

2 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by dominique(f): 4:21pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

True, but if you fry your tomatoes well and put in too much water, no amount of frying will rescue the jollof rice. It is a combination of factors. That is why I said, one has to be thorough from the start.

I don't add water until rice has entered the pot. Before I got it right, I used to add water to prevent the onion and tomato paste from burning. With time, I got to realize that the secret to that aroma is by slightly burning the paste and adding beef of chicken stock to soften it if need be. I still don't always get it right but my results are way better than before.

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by 1Sharon(f): 4:49pm On Jun 16, 2020
Since you used foil was there a need to parboil the rice
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 4:53pm On Jun 16, 2020
dominique:

I don't add water until rice has entered the pot. Before I got it right, I used to add water to prevent the onion and tomato paste from burning. With time, I got to realize that the secret to that aroma is by slightly burning the paste and adding beef of chicken stock to soften it if need be. I still don't always get it right but my results are way better than before.

You are right on this too. My friend would always ask why I want to “burn” my tomatoes. It has always given me what I want, so, why wouldn’t I burn it? cheesy I guess you are not being consistent with something.

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 4:54pm On Jun 16, 2020
1Sharon:
Since you used foil was there a need to parboil the rice

I saw the need to parboil this rice because of its starch content. The foil is to trap all steam and ensure it cooks with minimal water and heat. I don’t think it conflicts anyway with the parboiling.
Does it?

12 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Tomatoes And Onions I Bought For 300 And 350 Naira Respectively In Nnewi / See The N50 Pepper And Onions I Bought In Kano / Millet In Nigeria:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.