Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,632 members, 7,958,884 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 06:36 AM

Bible Contradictions: Should Christians Judge Or Not? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Bible Contradictions: Should Christians Judge Or Not? (3924 Views)

Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? / Great Bible Contradictions / Why Did Jesus Come Into The World? To Judge Or Not To Judge? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bible Contradictions: Should Christians Judge Or Not? by wetu: 8:08pm On Mar 28, 2011
We know that the Bible is the Word of God and God cannot contradict Himself. Why does it appear that there are contradictions in the Bible. Should Christians judge or not? There are scriptures that seem to suggest that Christians should judge:

A Christian should shun other Christians who are living in sin. To do this requires judgement:

1Co 5:11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.
1Co 5:12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?
1Co 5:13 But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

Joh 7:24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

We are followers of Jesus. Jesus judged according to the will of God. If we judge for the purposes of fulfilling God's will:

Luk 6:40 The disciple is not above his master: but every one that is perfect shall be as his master.

Joh 5:30 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

But there are also scriptures that suggest we should not judge:

Mat 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

Luk 6:37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

If those scriptures mean we should not judge at all, they contradict other biblical principles. The Bible can only contradict itself if we pull verses from it without using supporting scriptures. Supporting scriptures are other scriptures addressing the same subject and the verses surrounding the verse in question (context).

If we look at Matthew 7:1 and Luke 6:37, the context is:

Mat 7:2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
Mat 7:5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

the problems is not judging but hypocritical judgement.
Matthew 7:1-5 can be summarised as follows:

If you judge others, you will also be judged according to the same standard that you set for others. Before you judge, make sure you are not guilty of the same thing you are judging others.

This is supported by other scriptures:

Rom 2:1 Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.

There are three verses in Romans 14 that suggest that we should not judge:

Rom 14:3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.

Rom 14:10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.

Rom 14:13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.

Now we have to take those verses into context. If we refuse to take those verses into context, them we can also take this verse without considering the context:

Rom 14:14 I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.

Some Christians could use the above to justify consumption of alcohol, others will use it to justify intimately kissing women they are not married to, others will use it to justify fornication. We should take it into context to avoid confusion.

The context of the whole of Romans 14 is of course judging one another in eating, drinking, doing, watching, celebrating things where the Bible is not clear:

Rom 14:3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.

We should not judge each others in matters were God has left it up to our individual conscience:

Rom 14:22 Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.
Rom 14:23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

It's clear that we are to judge because:

There are several commandments that require judgement:

Eph 5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

We are to follow Jesus and Jesus judged:

Mat 23:13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

Joh 8:47 He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

There is no doubt that the bible doesn't contradict itself on this matter. Neither is there any doubt that Christians can judge other Christians if they do it according to the scriptures:

* Do not judge according to the flesh or according to appearance but judge righteous judgement
* Do not judge hypocritically
* Do not judge in matters of conscience (celebrating birthdays, eating halaal food, watching TV)
Re: Bible Contradictions: Should Christians Judge Or Not? by e36991: 8:23pm On Mar 28, 2011
wetu:

We know that the Bible is the Word of God and God cannot contradict Himself. Why does it appear that there are contradictions in the Bible.

Should Christians judge or not? There are scriptures that seem to suggest that Christians should judge:

A Christian should shun other Christians who are living in sin. To do this requires judgement:

1Co 5:11  But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.
1Co 5:12  For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?
1Co 5:13  But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

Joh 7:24  Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

We are followers of Jesus. Jesus judged according to the will of God. If we judge for the purposes of fulfilling God's will:

Luk 6:40  The disciple is not above his master: but every one that is perfect shall be as his master.

Joh 5:30  I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

But there are also scriptures that suggest we should not judge:

Mat 7:1  Judge not, that ye be not judged.

Luk 6:37  Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

If those scriptures mean we should not judge at all, they contradict other biblical principles. The Bible can only contradict itself if we pull verses from it without using supporting scriptures. Supporting scriptures are other scriptures addressing the same subject and the verses surrounding the verse in question (context).

If we look at Matthew 7:1 and Luke 6:37, the context is:

Mat 7:2  For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
Mat 7:5  Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

the problems is not judging but hypocritical judgement.
Matthew 7:1-5 can be summarised as follows:

If you judge others, you will also be judged according to the same standard that you set for others. Before you judge, make sure you are not guilty of the same thing you are judging others.

This is supported by other scriptures:

Rom 2:1  Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.

There are three verses in Romans 14 that suggest that we should not judge:

Rom 14:3  Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.

Rom 14:10  But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.

Rom 14:13  Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.

Now we have to take those verses into context. If we refuse to take those verses into context, them we can also take this verse without considering the context:

Rom 14:14  I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.

Some Christians could use the above to justify consumption of alcohol, others will use it to justify intimately kissing women they are not married to, others will use it to justify fornication. We should take it into context to avoid confusion.

The context of the whole of Romans 14 is of course judging one another in eating, drinking, doing, watching, celebrating things where the Bible is not clear:

Rom 14:3  Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.

We should not judge each others in matters were God has left it up to our individual conscience:

Rom 14:22  Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.
Rom 14:23  And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

It's clear that we are to judge because:

There are several commandments that require judgement:

Eph 5:11  And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

We are to follow Jesus and Jesus judged:

Mat 23:13  But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

Joh 8:47  He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

There is no doubt that the bible doesn't contradict itself on this matter. Neither is there any doubt that Christians can judge other Christians if they do it according to the scriptures:

* Do not judge according to the flesh or according to appearance but judge righteous judgement
* Do not judge in matters of conscience (celebrating birthdays, eating halaal food, watching TV)

@^^^

The long and short is stop being sanctimonious - "let he who is without sin, cast the first stone"
Re: Bible Contradictions: Should Christians Judge Or Not? by Kendom: 1:10am On Jun 21, 2011
Theres no contradiction here, is judging according to conscience righteous judgement? is judging hypocritically righteous judgement?. The stance is clear, righteous judgemnt is allowed, hypocritical and conscience judgemnet not allowed, theres no contradiction.
Re: Bible Contradictions: Should Christians Judge Or Not? by Image123(m): 6:45am On Jun 21, 2011
The word 'judge' is blind in meaning to many both believers and unbelievers. It's actually two different words rendered as one 'judge'. The words are 'condemn' and 'discern'. So you need to note the context and of course the Spirit when reading. i hope to speak more on AIO's "judge not" thread.
Re: Bible Contradictions: Should Christians Judge Or Not? by Seun(m): 6:49am On Jun 21, 2011
Image123:

The word 'judge' is blind in meaning to many both believers and unbelievers. It's actually two different words rendered as one 'judge'. The words are 'condemn' and 'discern'. So you need to note the context and of course the Spirit when reading. i hope to speak more on AIO's "judge not" thread.
Do you mean two different greek/hebrew words? Or a greek/hebrew word with two meanings?
Re: Bible Contradictions: Should Christians Judge Or Not? by Energy48(m): 8:00am On Jun 21, 2011
wetu, this might come as a shock to you. True Christians do not see any contradictions in God's word. That is why they can apply it in their daily lives with no difficulty and live in harmony with God's word. People like you who see contradictions see it because you are either looking for ways to break Biblical commands or simply looking for fault. Think about that.

Take for instance what you are asking. A true God fearing man or woman will know the Bible is talking about VIGILANTE behaviour and is admonishing Christians not to engage in it. The Bible is not saying you shouldn't SHUN people with immoral ways, because you should. The Bible makes it very clear, bad associations spoil good habits. That is not only a Biblical command but a FACT of life as well. One bad apple will contaminate a whole barrel of good apples in no time at all. Therefore, it is only a fool that will see the danger of immorality and still associate with it.

There are no contradictions in the Bible. They only exists in the minds of those seeking ways to break God's commands.
Re: Bible Contradictions: Should Christians Judge Or Not? by wetu: 8:25am On Jun 21, 2011
Energy48:

wetu, this might come as a shock to you. True Christians do not see any contradictions in God's word. That is why they can apply it in their daily lives with no difficulty and live in harmony with God's word. People like you who see contradictions see it because you are either looking for ways to break Biblical commands or simply looking for fault. Think about that.

Take for instance what you are asking. A true God fearing man or woman will know the Bible is talking about VIGILANTE behaviour and is admonishing Christians not to engage in it. The Bible is not saying you shouldn't SHUN people with immoral ways, because you should. The Bible makes it very clear, bad associations spoil good habits. That is not only a Biblical command but a FACT of life as well. One bad apple will contaminate a whole barrel of good apples in no time at all. Therefore, it is only a fool that will see the danger of immorality and still associate with it.

There are no contradictions in the Bible. They only exists in the minds of those seeking ways to break God's commands.
My brother or sister, please read the post again carefully and then comment. It cannot come as a shock to me because I clearly stated:

Re: Bible Contradictions: Should Christians Judge Or Not? by Image123(m): 5:20pm On Jun 21, 2011
Seun:

Do you mean two different greek/hebrew words? Or a greek/hebrew word with two meanings?
One word in the english with two meanings. Like i stated, the context and the Spirit are so important.
Re: Bible Contradictions: Should Christians Judge Or Not? by anukulapo: 6:00pm On Jun 22, 2011
I recommend the book "Who are you to judge", i can lend mine to you if you are in Abj and environ, great book,helps alot about these judgement thing.

contact me if you wish, i'l be glad to give it out, only if you will return it o,

anukulapo@gmail.com

cheers!
Re: Bible Contradictions: Should Christians Judge Or Not? by Joagbaje(m): 6:54pm On Jun 22, 2011
There are different kinds of judgements . What it is in one verse may not be what it is in another.

It could mean, discern in another condemn , in another passage it refers to justice, or observation, or to choose in some it mean appraise.

So that's why the scripture can say we should judge in one sense and judge not in another . Whatever the case we are not to criticise or condemn others. We can discern and analyse issues
Re: Bible Contradictions: Should Christians Judge Or Not? by dare2think: 6:58pm On Jun 22, 2011
Joagbaje:

There are different kinds of judgements . What it is in one verse may not be what it is in another.

It could mean, discern in another condemn , in another passage it refers to justice, or observation, or to choose in some it mean appraise.

So that's why the scripture can say we should judge in one sense and judge not in another . Whatever the case we are not to criticise or condemn others. We can discern and analyse issues

I hope you realise the contradiction between the bolded.

(1) (Reply)

Pastor W.F. Kumuyi In Russia Then The Unthinkable Happens! / Photo: Christians Now Practicing Polygamy And Even Call To It / COVID 19: Deeper Life Bible Church Donates Additional Relief Items To Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.