Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,243 members, 7,818,828 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:10 AM

An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? (50319 Views)

"UK Employer Asking For My Linkedin Password" / How An Employer Sacked A Job Seeker Immediately After Giving Him A 250K Job / Doctor Shares Experience With An Employer In Abuja, rejects N70K salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Fibonacci88: 9:07pm On Jan 12, 2021
Y should disclosing ur previous salary be an issue. I dont think u are interested in d job. Its normal HC procedure. Most standard organization even ask u to submit ur most recent payslip.

4 Likes

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by engrchykae(m): 9:08pm On Jan 12, 2021
VirginSearcher:
Everything about recruitment in Naija is wrong
they even as birthmonth as if they believe in horoscope
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by rockcitie: 9:08pm On Jan 12, 2021
AntiWailer:
That is the end of the interview Bro.

Nothing is confidential.

It is a normal HC procedure to know your current earnings so they can decide if the deal they are offering u is fair or not.

As an hiring Manager, once u say that. The interview is over. No way you are going to the next level.

I prefer u tell me u earn 50k a month but u won't do 1 naira less than 500k a month than that 'Confidential Bull Craaap'

Infact your previous pay slip is needed before u are given offer letter in any reasonable Organization not mush room employers.

NB : please I am not talking about 30k per month job offers. So stay away. Come back when you graduate and look for a better job.

You don't have to abuse me. Stay with your believe for your next employer and blame Buhari for joblessness.

What you have stated here is NOT true.

It's not mandatory for any employer to ask for your pay slip even in the big organisations. Stop misleading people!!
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Sunshine34(m): 9:08pm On Jan 12, 2021
It happens in every organization to ask such question, and it's not bad if u disclose it to them
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by casiello(m): 9:09pm On Jan 12, 2021
BabaIbo:

Mehn!

Wataguan?

Are you OK at all?
Didn't you read the OP's post he said it is a teaching job and they hardly have payslip in that kind of profession except in big and standard school.

Had it been it won't affect his new pay, it would have been OK to disclose the actual amount.

You are talking about being honest, are they suppose to ask that question or ask him how much they want them to pay him because the company have already set the amount they want to pay for that role.

During my days as an employee, I did it and it worked for me in my last job.

Go through the thread, you will see others that have done it.

All I see in your response is hypocrisy.

Yes I am okay and my responses are not hypocritical.
I have never revealed my previous salaries, yet I'm still gainfully employed so that negates your point on hypocrisy.

It is not compulsory information for prospective employers, period!

1 Like

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Angelfrost(m): 9:10pm On Jan 12, 2021
It's a simple question sometimes intended to test your integrity...
Ignoring the question even when asked orally was wrong.

There really shouldn't be that much secrecy with regards to previous salary...

1 Like

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Yustash001(m): 9:10pm On Jan 12, 2021
Freestainworld:
Nothing is absolutely wrong with that, it is left for you to answer or not.
Wow, I never know....thanks
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by BabaIbo: 9:11pm On Jan 12, 2021
karkinase:

Guy calm down, established organisations will always ask you for your previous payslip especially of it's an experienced position, its the norm everywhere.

It is not the norm everywhere but in Nigeria where there is no rules and regulations.

In civilized climes, they bargain with you base on your prospective job not on your past pay in the previous job.
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Chris2863(m): 9:12pm On Jan 12, 2021
angry grin grin angry grin calm down jsreeh
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

It is not wrong.

You stood your ground...it is your right not to disclose personal information to employers just as it is your right to remain jobless.

I admire your doggedness and arrogance in poverty...you refused to answer it in your written interview and you got a clue to remedy this basic goof in the oral interview but your village people got the best of you.

I won't blame them for not eventually employing you either. Someone who writes like this is not fit to be a janitor in a local school let alone a teacher.
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Daniwes: 9:14pm On Jan 12, 2021
Cblessing:

You goofed bro! The question is very formal.

You ended up exhibiting ignorance and a bit of arrogance.

You may still be called for the job, God on your side.

Do not make this kind of mistake again in future.

There is nothing arrogant at refusing to disclose past salary. Companies don't disclose all about themselves before hiring either
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Emanodimo(m): 9:15pm On Jan 12, 2021
iHart:
I hate it when employers want to use your last salary to determine how they will be paying you.

I can remember an interview i attended. Before the interview, i managed to find out that they paid #80, 000 per month for that position. The interview was a back and forth thing until they referred me to the owner of the company. The MD needed somebody with the kind of experience i had. Me, i was tired of working in all those #30, 000 per month job, so i needed an upgrade. When the MD asked me what was my last pay in the last place i worked, i told him #35, 000. He said he was going to start paying me #30, 000, after three months he will see how i am gaining experience, then he will increase my salary. I bluntly turned down the job based on the salary. The MD asked me to go home and rethink the offer, that no job seeker turns down his offer. I went home and the next morning, just for courtesy sake, i called him and told him i was not interested. The man was shocked.

If you want to employ people, employ them and tell them what you will pay. If it is okay by them, they resume work.

In fairness, employer wants to know why one left his or her previous employment. Just that employer rarely tell employee the fact why they want to employ or why the previous person left them.

1 Like

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by DEBJOCH1(m): 9:16pm On Jan 12, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

It is not wrong.

You stood your ground...it is your right not to disclose personal information to employers just as it is your right to remain jobless.

I admire your doggedness and arrogance in poverty...you refused to answer it in your written interview and you got a clue to remedy this basic goof in the oral interview but your village people got the best of you.

I won't blame them for not eventually employing you either. Someone who writes like this is not fit to be a janitor in a local school let alone a teacher.
. That's very bad of the OP, may be he is still satisfied where he currently work. That's a universal interview question, it either you answer and also chip in by letting them know that any other job you wish to pick should be able to pay you above what you currently earn. You need to let pride go off you. May be you are not yet exposed to attending interview.

1 Like

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Okuda(m): 9:16pm On Jan 12, 2021
karkinase:

Guy calm down, established organisations will always ask you for your previous payslip especially of it's an experienced position, its the norm everywhere.

it can only be the norm in shiteholes like nigeria.
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by andyanders: 9:16pm On Jan 12, 2021
AntiWailer:
That is the end of the interview Bro.

Nothing is confidential.

It is a normal HC procedure to know your current earnings so they can decide if the deal they are offering u is fair or not.

As an hiring Manager, once u say that. The interview is over. No way you are going to the next level.

I prefer u tell me u earn 50k a month but u won't do 1 naira less than 500k a month than that 'Confidential Bull Craaap'

Infact your previous pay slip is needed before u are given offer letter in any reasonable Organization not mush room employers.

NB : please I am not talking about 30k per month job offers. So stay away. Come back when you graduate and look for a better job.

You don't have to abuse me. Stay with your believe for your next employer and blame Buhari for joblessness.
Right on point. Nothing wrong with the question.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by BabaIbo: 9:16pm On Jan 12, 2021
Okuda:

bullshit. what happened to your work certificate. do they not give that after leaving a former job?

Only selected companies give that, most of these employers in Nigeria are heartless, some don't even give tax clearance and they deduct that from their workers salary.
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Okuda(m): 9:18pm On Jan 12, 2021
mapet:

Bros,

When you finish school and start attending interviews, come back here and tell us it's not standard. Meanwhile stop referring to a bogus and non-existent "abroad" you're yet to even experience.

lol... I did not have to apply for any job in nigeria and i got them
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Yustash001(m): 9:20pm On Jan 12, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

It is not wrong.

I admire your doggedness and arrogance in poverty...you refused to answer it in your written interview and you got a clue to remedy this basic goof in theo oral interview but your village people got the best of you.

Thanks for your kind words....

Fuuny enough, they were all contended with the way I answered their questions, to the extent that one of them even complemented me by saying he loves the way I stood my ground

So the chance of me getting the job is above 80%

1 Like

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Machidon: 9:22pm On Jan 12, 2021
Enudapan:
Nah eh! No qualms All this trashy questions b4 you are been employed When you can easily Start up a bombing career at home with No stress

How
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Gordson: 9:23pm On Jan 12, 2021
Mtcheww

If they don't hire you, you'll get your job somewhere else.

Like, what rubbish. They are looking for a way to devalue and shortchange you. grin

What's your salary expectation is more appropriate

1 Like

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Emmypure: 9:24pm On Jan 12, 2021
This life no balance at all
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by BabaIbo: 9:24pm On Jan 12, 2021
casiello:

Yes I am okay and my responses are not hypocritical.
I have never revealed my previous salaries, yet I'm still gainfully employed so that negates your point on hypocrisy.

It is not compulsory information for prospective employers, period!

Oh, I see we are on the same side on this issue.

I'm referring to the guy that said he should disclose his true previous earning.

I adviced him that should in case he already know the set amount for the new job and his last job is way too low to the new one, it is either he politely decide not to disclose it or he should raised the old one a bit to measure up. Because these employers will surely cut down the pay and divert it to themselves if he loose guide, let's say he is earning 50k before and he is going for a job of 300k. They are just looking for a way to shortchange him.

1 Like

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by mindpresh: 9:25pm On Jan 12, 2021
It's wrong.

It's typically an excuse for them to get information to arrive at the lowest value they want to offer.

Yustash001:
Good evening Nairalanders,

I went for an interview yesterday and among questions that was ask in the written interview is "How much was your salary in the previous school where you worked?".
I wrote " it's confidential " because I thought it isn't formal to be asking such question in an interview.

So, during the oral interview, they asked while I didn't write the amount, I told them I don't want to disclose it and I don't think it's formal. I decided not to argue it further when the principal said it's formal, even though I didn't disclose the amount in the end.

So, my people, have you ever experienced such?
And is it formal to ask applicants of the exact amount they receive as salary in the organisation where they formerly work?

Please help push it to the front page...
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Daniwes: 9:26pm On Jan 12, 2021
Angelfrost:
It's a simple question sometimes intended to test your integrity...
Ignoring the question even when asked orally was wrong.

There really shouldn't be that much secrecy with regards to previous salary...
How can his integrity be comprised because he chose not to divulge personal information?
It is ann application for a new role and anything from the past that should really matter is his past experiences that he will bring. What he was paid is just no one's business.

If that's the case employees should be told what their manager earns for openess and "integrity"
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Ndaduma: 9:26pm On Jan 12, 2021
I think you made a mistake. First, employers likes to hire people that are sincere.Disclosing your present salary to an organisation that wants your service is not a bad idea entirely. Banks does that too. They want to have an idea where they can place.you.
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by AuroraB(f): 9:27pm On Jan 12, 2021
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright ....
Bros op don't be scared of any shit.

You are a real niggarrr....say whatever you want to say to your employer ..
I remember those days in national integrated power project in ihovbor, Benin city.....I say it straight to the interviewer that i smoke weed ....still when the names of those selected for the job was out my name was among

Talking like a pussy asss coward
Okoto meow meow as always sad undecided
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Daniwes: 9:29pm On Jan 12, 2021
Yustash001:

Thanks for your kind words....

Fuuny enough, they were all contended with the I answered the questions, to the extent that one of them even complemented me by saying he loves the way I stood my ground

So the chance of me getting the job is above 80%
A little tip too. Employers worth their salt- I mean not these mushroom HR staff on this thread- know and expect employees to negotiate on initial offers.
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by AuroraB(f): 9:30pm On Jan 12, 2021
SlyIg:
Are you now scared or something ?
grin he is, already grin. Arrogant mf cheesy. The rope wey dem use tie am strong no be small sad

1 Like

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by ChoCho54(f): 9:32pm On Jan 12, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

It is not wrong.

Uncle be kind please haba!
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by mechanics(m): 9:34pm On Jan 12, 2021
You should have answered the question.
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by joyousever(f): 9:41pm On Jan 12, 2021
Exactly my point.
iHart:
I hate it when employers want to use your last salary to determine how they will be paying you.

I can remember an interview i attended. Before the interview, i managed to find out that they paid #80, 000 per month for that position. The interview was a back and forth thing until they referred me to the owner of the company. The MD needed somebody with the kind of experience i had. Me, i was tired of working in all those #30, 000 per month job, so i needed an upgrade. When the MD asked me what was my last pay in the last place i worked, i told him #35, 000. He said he was going to start paying me #30, 000, after three months he will see how i am gaining experience, then he will increase my salary. I bluntly turned down the job based on the salary. The MD asked me to go home and rethink the offer, that no job seeker turns down his offer. I went home and the next morning, just for courtesy sake, i called him and told him i was not interested. The man was shocked.

If you want to employ people, employ them and tell them what you will pay. If it is okay by them, they resume work.
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by joinnow: 9:45pm On Jan 12, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

It is not wrong.

ika niwo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome / Ministry Gives N-power Recruitment Slots To Lawmakers, Politicians / Shortlisted Candidates For EFCC Graduate Cadre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.