Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,275 members, 7,836,236 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:09 AM

Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? (42018 Views)

Why Is " Anything Raised To The Power Zero" Equals To One? / Why Is Any Number Divided By Zero Equals To Infinity?? / How To Find The Square Root Of ANY Number Instantly In 3 Secs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:21pm On Jan 14, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

True but in your illustration you did not do that, you directed us to look at the Result of the eggs in saying "How many eggs do we have?"

Which means there is also how many chickens do we have or some other how many.

But in multiplication, we have only One subject matter of Increase in this case, it is either we are increasing 3 or 0.

The point is that, the Hens is not the answer to the question the op is asking for. It is the produce (product). The eggs.

That is what the concept is about.

Multiplication is about product.

Whether hens, oranges, money etc. What is the amount produced?
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by IamAsiri: 2:22pm On Jan 14, 2021
BobFischer:

1 + 2 = 3.
2 + 1 = 3.
The two statement above is not the same though the result is the same

0*3 means zero in three places while
3*0 means 3 in zero places (no space for it to exist).
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by mu2sa2: 2:22pm On Jan 14, 2021
Aucun:

You missed the pattern. I don't mean no insults pls.

In mathematics, 3 x 7 is the same thing as 7 x 3 .
They are not two different things.
Your example is logical: 3×7 is the same as 7×3 i.e seven multiplied by three is exactly three multiplied by seven. But 7×0 and 0x7 which in mathematics yield the same result are illogical e.g 0 naira x 7 is still 0 naira, but 7 naira x 0 naira still leaves 7 naira intact, therefore the maths defies logic.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:23pm On Jan 14, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

True but in your illustration you did not do that, you directed us to look at the Result of the eggs in saying "How many eggs do we have?"

Which means there is also how many chickens do we have or some other how many.

But in multiplication, we have only One subject matter of Increase in this case, it is either we are increasing 3 or 0.

From the image, you are not counting the 15 or 2. What is the concern is what is produced.

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Bolingua1: 2:23pm On Jan 14, 2021
Aucun:

Well!

If you're harsh on him. He may question the sincerity of your answers.

The issue is, the thinking level is too poor, that's why we are not productive in Africa. Our level of reasoning is so poor.
The question isn't the issue but the reactions it generate, we are far behind here.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by koning: 2:23pm On Jan 14, 2021
Bolingua1:

He isn't any genius,
He just couldn't think right.
Use your brain properly. Nobody is talking about what you have, but the product of what you have.
You have #100, and you didn't do anything to it, you still have #100, but the product is 0, because nothing has been added to it. People can't just think smart.

Can you please explain the concept of "BREAKING EVEN" in business. I am not an accountant, but Op is a thinking man. I would not say a genius, but he posed a thinking man's question. Many companies are happy to break even for years. Which practically means that they added 0 to the 1000 they invested, but they still have the 1000.
Hence the question by Op. Why can't 1000 x 0 = 1000.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Qdmin: 2:23pm On Jan 14, 2021
BobFischer:
Why is any any number multiply by zero is equal to zero?

10 x 0 = 0
100 x 0 = 0
1000 x 0 = 0

If i have 100 oranges on a table and i multiply it by zero. Why do i suddenly have zero?

100 oranges X 0 = 0
1000 pears X 0 = 0

front page please
mathematicians in the house please gather.

The answer is SIMPLE if we understand the meaning of multiplication and the meaning of zero.

Here is an example to explain it.

"Zero" practically means "No"

For instance,

Zero sales = No sales
Zero apple = No apple
Zero space = No space
Zero money = No money
Zero bag = No bag
Zero Shit = No shit
Zero sense = No sense

Etc

In mathematics, "To Multiply" simply means: "Obtain from (a number) another number which contains the (first number) a specified number of times....

Eg, 10 x 0 = another number which is unknown to us

Using the above definition which I modified from what I found in a Google search,

The above equation can be interpreted as;

Obtain from (ten) another number which contains (ten) (zero) times.

If "zero" means "No",

Then, let's do this:

Obtain from (ten) another number which contains (ten) (No) times

So, which number contains 10, zero number of times?

Possible answers are 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

If we choose any number greater than or less than zero, then we will continue to encounter problems whenever we try to reverse our process

Therefore, the perfect answer is Zero

Got this?

Ok, let's solve a real life example using Oranges

10 oranges x 0 = ?
Obtain from (ten oranges) another number of oranges which contains (ten oranges) (0) times

So, which number of oranges contains 10 oranges, 0 number of times?

1 orange? 2 oranges?, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 oranges?

Nope!

There's no number of such oranges except 0 oranges

Therefore, the answer is 0

Now Do This

10 oranges x 7 = ?
Obtain from (ten oranges) another number of oranges which contains (10 oranges) (7) times

So, which number of oranges contains 10 oranges, 7 number of times?

20 oranges contains 10 oranges only 2 times

40 oranges contains 10 oranges only 4 times

Therefore, the perfect answer is 70 oranges because it contains 10oranges 7 times.

Ok, let's try this way;

10 x 1 = ?
Obtain from (ten) another number which contains (ten) (one) times

So, which number contains 10, one number of times?

Therefore, answer 10.

Another example

10 x 100 = ?
Obtain from (ten) another number which contains (ten) (100) times

So, which number contains 10, 100 number of times?

Therefore, answer 1,000

If you are able to understand my explanation very well, then I'm sure you'll love to read my little book called The Untold Money Sense

After all, why do we learn mathematics?

I use it to calculate my money! grin

So Click here to download The Untold Money Sense FREE
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by MrColdsweat: 2:23pm On Jan 14, 2021
A real number multiplied by zero is zero.
i.e X*0=0

Proof
Assume the statement is false, i.e X multiplied by zero equals a non-zero real number Y.

X*0=Y
Divide both sides by X, you have
Y/X=O

This contradicts the closure property of the set of non-zero real numbers under multiplication and division because the set of non-zeros form a group under multiplication.

Therefore, X*0=0.

QED
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Mrquote: 2:25pm On Jan 14, 2021
You can't put something on nothing. Zero can't hold anything.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by blunt2dcore(m): 2:25pm On Jan 14, 2021
BobFischer:

10 x 0 = 0
100 x 0 = 0
1000 x 0 = 0

If i have 100 oranges on a table and i multiply it by zero. Why do i suddenly have zero?

100 oranges X 0 = 0
1000 pears X 0 = 0

front page please

Bob fisher, Do u play chess?
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by YakubuA: 2:25pm On Jan 14, 2021
BobFischer:

10 x 0 = 0
100 x 0 = 0
1000 x 0 = 0

100 oranges X 0 = 0
1000 pears X 0 = 0

front page please

In my opinion the zero signify absence of the thing.
So absence of anything x by any number = absence
Hence I will rewrite your expressions as follows:

0 x 10 = 0 (0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0 = 0)
0 x 100 = 0 (0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0 upto 100 = 0)
0 x 1000 = 0 (0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0 upto 1000 = 0)

Hence
0 orange x 100 = 0 orange
0 pear x 1000 = 0 pear

The fact that you have 100 oranges confirm the presence of orange hence the number 1 (0 is absence and 1 is presence)

So
1 orange (presence) x 100 = 100 oranges
1 pear (presence) x 1000 = 1000 pears

So you can never have 100 oranges and multiply it by 0 but by 1 because you cannot have the oranges to be present and absent at the same time.

Hope this help.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by learner007(m): 2:25pm On Jan 14, 2021
Let me respond as a professional mathematician:

First, you need to know that multiplication means repeated addition. What do I mean?

3 x 4 = 3 times 4 or 4 times 3 (commutativity property)
= 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 (or 4 + 4 + 4 )
= 12
If you have 10 x 0, then it means zero is added in 10 places: 0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0 =0
By the commutative property, you could say 10 in no place at all grin

I hope this helps.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by IamAsiri: 2:26pm On Jan 14, 2021
mu2sa2:
I don't think op's puzzle has been cracked.
0 × 3 = 0 ( the answer is logical: nothing 3 times is still nothing). But why is
3 × 0 =0 (this is illogical: e.g if I have 3 apples and try to multiply it 0 times, I can't, but my 3 apples should remain 3, not 0.
In case the puzzle can't be cracked in Queen's English, I beg let somebody try good old pidgin - maybe this will help, because with pidgin you are not constrained by rules of grammar ( just say it any how- the language is immaterial as long as the meaning is plain).

It's simple. In plain English you can say 0*3 means you were given no apple three times (assuming the person sharing the apples did not give you any even though he shared 3 times) while 3*0 means that there was simply no time that 3 apples were given to you.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by BewareOf419: 2:26pm On Jan 14, 2021
proxitaly:
Buhari (something) x Buhari brain (empty or nothing) = nothing
That is why even 1000 tenures of Buhari will leave Naija empty or even worse off. You grab?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by eyizlive(m): 2:27pm On Jan 14, 2021
I should start by acknowledging that these are proud NL days (better thread enter FP) gbayii!

Too many ppl miss d point (which is subject) and until u recognize that u'll fink d question invalid.

Ppl giving quotes like, "u can't give wat u don't av" are so wrong cuz (with regards to d matter) u can't give wat u don't av but if I av and I don't give, I should still av sebi?

Mathematically, datz: 0 (give) X 3 (av) = 0
3 (av) X 0 (give) = I should
Still av na abi?

Lemme explain d matter again using the variables (cash n wallet)
When the subject is cash, if I have 0 (cash) X 3 (wallet) , I still have no cash but
When the subject is wallet, I have 3 (wallet) X 0 (cash) , shouldn't I still have 3 wallets?

Well the solution is, multiplication deals in production.

So using my examples,
When d subject is wallet, I av 3 (wallets) X (I want to reproduce more wallets) 0 (cash) = I cannot reproduce any wallet.

The perfect quote for this is , "it takes two to tangle".

Hope I made sense.

Yep

1 Like

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by koning: 2:28pm On Jan 14, 2021
Bolingua1:

The issue is, the thinking level is too poor, that's why we are not productive in Africa. Our level of reasoning is so poor.
The question isn't the issue but the reactions it generate, we are far behind here.

What a pity!. You are now making it an African issue. This hypothesis was brought to us by the white man. The same way they told us that Jesus is a White man with long beard and that we all must accept and worship him.

Op is just trying to question some the things we were thaught at British styled education.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:29pm On Jan 14, 2021
koning:
@BobFischer is not asking why is 0 x 100 = 0.
But why is 100 x 0 =0.

I get his drift. If you already have 100 and multiply it with nothing, shouldn't you still have your 100.

Let's all ponder about that.

Think of Product.

If you have 100 cows, you have 100 cows. If they don't produce any milk, it is zero product. Zero milk. As you get that, you understand.

If you have no money to share. Even if you have a good mind to share money to 10,000 people, you can only produce zero money.

Multiplication is about finding the PRODUCT.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by felixbar(m): 2:31pm On Jan 14, 2021
Zero means not exist
When you multiply any number with zero , u will get zero
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Bolingua1: 2:31pm On Jan 14, 2021
100 + 0 = 100
You have added 0 (nothing) to 100, so you get 100 back.

100 * 0 = 0
You have multiplied nothing from 100 or produce nothing from 100, so your product is = 0

In simple English

If you are asked what you have it is 100
If you are asked what you produced it is 0
Simple English,
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by MrColdsweat: 2:34pm On Jan 14, 2021
But if you come from a philosophical perspective, zero is ambiguous because it lacks definition. Zero represents nothings but there's no such thing as nothing.

If you say there's nothing in your pocket, you are wrong because there's space, and oxygen in your pocket.

You cannot say you are doing nothing. Infact it's impossible to do nothing because you're existing and existing is not nothing.

That is part of the ambiguity of nothing of which zero inherits the same ambigius property.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by YakubuA: 2:34pm On Jan 14, 2021
mu2sa2:
I don't think op's puzzle has been cracked.
0 × 3 = 0 ( the answer is logical: nothing 3 times is still nothing). But why is
3 × 0 =0 (this is illogical: e.g if I have 3 apples and try to multiply it 0 times, I can't, but my 3 apples should remain 3, not 0.
In case the puzzle can't be cracked in Queen's English, I beg let somebody try good old pidgin - maybe this will help, because with pidgin you are not constrained by rules of grammar ( just say it any how- the language is immaterial as long as the meaning is plain).

The order does not really matter.
0 is absent of a thing and 1 is present of a thing

So

absent x present = present x absent = absent

Hence 0x3 = 3x0 = 0

1 Like

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by rottennaija(m): 2:35pm On Jan 14, 2021
BobFischer:

10 x 0 = 0
100 x 0 = 0
1000 x 0 = 0

100 oranges X 0 = 0
1000 pears X 0 = 0

front page please

If you are saying nothing comes from nothing, where did God come from? And if everything has a creator, who created God?
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Bolingua1: 2:36pm On Jan 14, 2021
Bolingua1:
100 + 0 = 100
You have added 0 (nothing) to 100, so you get 100 back.

100 * 0 = 0
You have multiplied nothing from 100 or produce nothing from 100, so your product is = 0

In simple English

If you are asked what you have it is 100
If you are asked what you produced it is 0
Simple English,

We have a longer way to go in Africa. It's just money money everyone is thinking. So bad
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Aucun(m): 2:37pm On Jan 14, 2021
koning:

Can you please explain the concept of "BREAKING EVEN" in business. I am not an accountant, but Op is a thinking man. I would not say a genius, but he posed a thinking man's question. Many companies are happy to break even for years. Which practically means that they added 0 to the 1000 they invested, but they still have the 1000.
Hence the question by Op. Why can't 1000 x 0 = 1000.

See, guy (or are u a lady?)!

The concept of break even is different from what the OP is talking about. I'm an accountant.

To break even means that, your revenue is the same as your expenses/costs. For instance, you spent 10k and make income of exact 10k... no profit, no loss!

It's different from what the OP is talking about. Unless you have a variant point to make.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by mu2sa2: 2:37pm On Jan 14, 2021
IamAsiri:

It's simple. In plain English you can say 0*3 means you were given no apple three times (assuming the person sharing the apples did not give you any even though he shared 3 times) while 3*0 means that there was simply no time that 3 apples were given to you.
What of if I have 3 apples. If I try to multiply the 3 apples 0 times, I will still have 3 apples, not 0 apples.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Magmata: 2:38pm On Jan 14, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

Respectfully, this is pit toilet products trying to explain Untrue Proposition/Brain Washing.

Ah!

And l'm here thinking I've made some meaningful contribution.

Well, such is life, we see better through others.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by nairaman66(m): 2:39pm On Jan 14, 2021
Exciton:

You could as well exploit the existence of inverses: for each element in a group, there exists a unique element such that: a•b == i, where i is the identity element of the group, and • is an operation on the group elements.

For addition operation, 0 is the identity element and the additive inverse of any element a is -a : a + (-a) = 0.

Using the distributive law:

n*0 = n * (a + (-a)) = n*a + (n*-a) = n*a - n*a = 0.

Thus, n*0 = 0 is basically the consequence of the existence of an additive identity/inverses + the distributive law.

Another deductive point. Thanks
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by nairaman66(m): 2:39pm On Jan 14, 2021
UDUJ:

Respect for quoting your source QUORA cool

Others will steal ideas from the Internet and claim it as theirs. Respect bro cool

Cheers cool
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by MightySparrow: 2:42pm On Jan 14, 2021
pat077:
U can't put something on nothing and expect it to stand.
You definitely an art student. the whole earth is sitting on nothing.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by IamAsiri: 2:42pm On Jan 14, 2021
mu2sa2:
What of if I have 3 apples. If I try to multiply the 3 apples 0 times, I will still have 3 apples, not 0 apples.

At what time did you have the apples?
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Greenbottlelady: 2:43pm On Jan 14, 2021
Worldliness:

Zero practically means nothing.

So nothing 1 time, nothing 2 times and nothing 1000 times 0r 1million times is still equal to nothing.

Eg) if i dont have 1 naira, if you ask me for 1 naira for 1 time or even 100 times, i still dont have any. that is it.

This perhaps is the best response.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by YakubuA: 2:43pm On Jan 14, 2021
mu2sa2:

That is because the presence of the 3 apples changes the number from 0 to 1 (with 0 being absence of apple and 1 presence of apple).

So when you have 3 apples ( presence) it can only be 1 apple present + 1 apple present + 1 apple present = 3 apples present = 3 apples x 1 present = 1 apple x 3 present = 3 apples

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Ilorin Provisional List / How To Start Recharge Card Printing Business Mtn Airtel Etisalat: 08162395501 / Kid Tied To A Motorcycle, Being Forced To School (Disturbing Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.