Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,607 members, 7,827,289 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:08 AM

Nigerian Dr. Who Couldn't Even Perform Cpr Worked In 14 Hospitals In Uk - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigerian Dr. Who Couldn't Even Perform Cpr Worked In 14 Hospitals In Uk (1745 Views)

Photos Of Best Hospitals In Anambra / Nigerian Dr.(PIC)Who Survived Ebola Tells Her Story-Long But Interesting Read / US-based Nigerian Dr. Discovers Drug for Killer Sickle Cell Disease (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Dr. Who Couldn't Even Perform Cpr Worked In 14 Hospitals In Uk by oritameta(m): 11:28pm On Mar 31, 2011
The Nigerian-born Dr Lucius Okere, who qualified in Bologna, Italy, was finally struck off by the General Medical Council in January after staff at one of the hospitals reported serious concerns.

At the hearing it emerged that he did not know how to “scrub up”, where surgeons wash their hands and arms very thoroughly before an operation. He also slapped patients to see if they were conscious.

It was also revealed that while working at Lymington Hospital he mistook the meaning of a “crash call” – the medical term for a cardiac arrest – for a car crash.

Source: Nigerian Born Doctor Incompetent Even To Perform CPR Worked in 14 British Hospitals
Re: Nigerian Dr. Who Couldn't Even Perform Cpr Worked In 14 Hospitals In Uk by dominique(f): 11:11am On Apr 01, 2011
i blame the people that awarded him the medical degree in the first place.

It was also revealed that while working at Lymington Hospital he mistook the meaning of a “crash call” – the medical term for a cardiac arrest – for a car crash.

grin grin embarassed cry cry
Re: Nigerian Dr. Who Couldn't Even Perform Cpr Worked In 14 Hospitals In Uk by ElRazur: 1:28pm On Apr 01, 2011
There is no big deal here. Jeez.

Not defending him, but yes it is entirely possible for a doctor to work in a hospital and have very little knowledge of CPR.

If I work in a low dependency ward where the chances of CPR are low for a greater part of my career, then yes I would start to forget my basic CPR training.

As per the "scrub up" thing, again different hospital have different policies on how to carry out Proper "Hand washing". (It usually encompasses 6 steps, and may be more if you work in a surgical unit)

A lot of people seem to think Doctor are like magician or miracle workers who knows everything, or are expected to, at least. I'm sorry but that is a very wrong assumption and perception to have.
Re: Nigerian Dr. Who Couldn't Even Perform Cpr Worked In 14 Hospitals In Uk by dominique(f): 3:33pm On Apr 01, 2011
ElRazur:

There is no big deal here. Jeez.

Not defending him, but yes it is entirely possible for a doctor to work in a hospital and have very little knowledge of CPR.

If I work in a low dependency ward where the chances of CPR are low for a greater part of my career, then yes I would start to forget my basic CPR training.

As per the "scrub up" thing, again different hospital have different policies on how to carry out Proper "Hand washing". (It usually encompasses 6 steps, and may be more if you work in a surgical unit)

A lot of people seem to think Doctor are like magician or miracle workers who knows everything, or are expected to, at least. I'm sorry but that is a very wrong assumption and perception to have.

there's no excuses for a doctor that can not perform CPR. even if it's mostly first-aid workers that administer it. BTW what do you mean by low dependency hospital? are you saying that there are hospitals where emergency cases are not treated? even if they don't have facilities to treat the patient, they should be liable to give the patient proper first-aid before moving the patient to another facility. so if he was the only medical personnel around and the patient is in desperate need of CPR, what will he do? look for a paramedic?

my only defense for a doctor that don't know medical terms, can't perform basic medical practices is that he's going senile and he's losing touch with reality and he should be relieved of his license.
Re: Nigerian Dr. Who Couldn't Even Perform Cpr Worked In 14 Hospitals In Uk by reindeer: 5:18pm On Apr 01, 2011
The problems with such doctors are the EU laws.

A doctor coming to practice in the UK from outside the EU will have to pass the IELTS, then take a theoretical PLAB1 and then the clinical stations based PLAB 2 examinations, these ensure they know practically all they need to know to start working in the UK but EU doctors dont do this, they only apply straight for GMC registration and start working even if they dont speak English!
I have worked with a few Polish and Hungarian?Bulgarian doctors here in the Uk that i know would never have passed the 1st MD exam in Ife honestly.They can barely understand patients and many are so poor clinically that you wonder what the passmarks were like for their medical schools, but hey The EU laws allow for free movement of workers accrooss EU borders so no assesments before work.
TOo bad for him, he should just return to Italy.
CPRs are certifications you do every 2-4years in the NHS. This guy must be really dumb or has an italian certificate from Oluwole grin
Re: Nigerian Dr. Who Couldn't Even Perform Cpr Worked In 14 Hospitals In Uk by steph212(f): 7:00pm On Apr 01, 2011
Wat a story, such makes you appreciate training institutions we have down here
Re: Nigerian Dr. Who Couldn't Even Perform Cpr Worked In 14 Hospitals In Uk by ElRazur: 7:27pm On Apr 01, 2011
dominique:

there's no excuses for a doctor that can not perform CPR. even if it's mostly first-aid workers that administer it. BTW what do you mean by low dependency hospital? are you saying that there are hospitals where emergency cases are not treated? even if they don't have facilities to treat the patient, they should be liable to give the patient proper first-aid before moving the patient to another facility. so if he was the only medical personnel around and the patient is in desperate need of CPR, what will he do? look for a paramedic?

my only defense for a doctor that don't know medical terms, can't perform basic medical practices is that he's going senile and he's losing touch with reality and he should be relieved of his license.

I am saying it is entirely possible.

Most doctors do not use all the skills they were trained for.

While the Doctors are expected to have certain set of skill - this is reflected in their training and qualification, the lack of practice or putting it into use would rob them of the skill over time.

By low dependency, I was referring to places where the chances of needing a CPR is most likely very low. For example, STD check up clinic, you local locum and no admission wards.

Again, I am not defending his actions, but I honestly feel the way it is reported is distorted so as to make headlines. I'm sure there are more events to the story than meet the eyes.
Re: Nigerian Dr. Who Couldn't Even Perform Cpr Worked In 14 Hospitals In Uk by Nobody: 9:27pm On Apr 01, 2011
why dont they have much the same requirements for non-english speaking EU doctors as they do for foreign trained ones [ie non-EU even if english speaking].

i think that would help the non-english speaking EU doctors familiarize with the british healthcare system.

as per the EU and non-EU references, i know britain is in the EU, let's not split hairs.
Re: Nigerian Dr. Who Couldn't Even Perform Cpr Worked In 14 Hospitals In Uk by reindeer: 9:48pm On Apr 01, 2011
tpiah!:

why dont they have much the same requirements for non-english speaking EU doctors as they do for foreign trained ones [ie non-EU even if english speaking].

i think that would help the non-english speaking EU doctors familiarize with the british healthcare system.

as per the EU and non-EU references, i know britain is in the EU, let's not split hairs.

I am sure that given the chance, britain will love to make all non british trained dcotors write at least the IELTS but its just not possible under european laws, that will amount to putting an obstacle on the path of a EU worker in the UK.

(1) (Reply)

Implication Of AC Genotype. / Tooth Decay: What You Need To Know To Prevent It / The End Of HIV? Scientists Successfully Eliminate HIV Virus In Human Cells (DETA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.