Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,313 members, 7,829,747 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:16 AM

Oyotunji Village: A Small Yoruba Village In United State Of America - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Oyotunji Village: A Small Yoruba Village In United State Of America (1515 Views)

MALL OF AMERICA: Beautiful Pictures From Inside The Biggest Mall In The USA / Poland: Four Fire Tankers Put Out Fire In A Small Building / This Amazing Circular Village In Denmark Looks Like Alien Civilization(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oyotunji Village: A Small Yoruba Village In United State Of America by Great100000: 10:31am On Jan 15, 2021
Meet a small village in America, called Oyotunji, Oyotunji, which means Oyo has risen, it covers about 27 hectares of land. A lot of people, do not know about Oyotunji, but it is a place to visit, the village is located inside South Carolina.

At the entrance of Oyotunji, gate you will see a notice that "You are leaving the US and you are entering the Yoruba Kingdom. In the name of his highness Etuntola, peace welcome you to the North America, built by priest Vodun cult, as a tribute to our ancestors. These priest preserve the customs, laws and religion of the African Race. Welcome to our land". That is what is written on their gate before you enter, as you can see the picture of the notice below.

According to historians, that Yoruba`s slavery are among the Africans that maintained their culture in a strange land. As we know people without a culture are lost, but they choice to preserve their culture. This village is located at Sheldon, Beaufort County, South Carolina.

Re: Oyotunji Village: A Small Yoruba Village In United State Of America by Haywhysat: 10:31am On Jan 15, 2021
Yorubas are vast.
Re: Oyotunji Village: A Small Yoruba Village In United State Of America by Tolexander: 10:36am On Jan 15, 2021
Re: Oyotunji Village: A Small Yoruba Village In United State Of America by pharmagba: 10:38am On Jan 15, 2021
I even learnt that there are Yoruba speaking tribe that also worship Sango and Ogun in Brazil
Re: Oyotunji Village: A Small Yoruba Village In United State Of America by Nobody: 10:40am On Jan 15, 2021
Toor
Re: Oyotunji Village: A Small Yoruba Village In United State Of America by Queenlovely(f): 10:40am On Jan 15, 2021
wowowowowo
Re: Oyotunji Village: A Small Yoruba Village In United State Of America by Darammliveth(m): 10:43am On Jan 15, 2021
Probably omo Oduduwa. Yoruba ni baba ati iyá to bi mi lomo
Re: Oyotunji Village: A Small Yoruba Village In United State Of America by Tolexander: 10:43am On Jan 15, 2021
pharmagba:
I even learnt that there are Yoruba speaking tribe that also worship Sango and Ogun in Brazil
Very true

In Brazil and the Caribbean
Re: Oyotunji Village: A Small Yoruba Village In United State Of America by EzegeNdiigbo: 10:47am On Jan 15, 2021
OK What's the name of the movie??
Re: Oyotunji Village: A Small Yoruba Village In United State Of America by yanabasee1(m): 10:53am On Jan 15, 2021
Is VODU CULT related to sango?
Re: Oyotunji Village: A Small Yoruba Village In United State Of America by Freestainworld(m): 11:01am On Jan 15, 2021
If Anybody ever mentions about Igbo village in America, you will see bashing until your life tire you.

1 Like

Re: Oyotunji Village: A Small Yoruba Village In United State Of America by Hatmanphobia(m): 1:24pm On Jan 15, 2021
Africa is my Fatherland...

Nigeria is my country ooo ��
Re: Oyotunji Village: A Small Yoruba Village In United State Of America by Fahdiga(m): 1:44pm On Jan 15, 2021
Many evils are being committed on a daily basis over there
Re: Oyotunji Village: A Small Yoruba Village In United State Of America by aderinsola75355: 2:04pm On Jan 15, 2021
Africa is my Fatherland...Nigeria is my country ooo ��
Re: Oyotunji Village: A Small Yoruba Village In United State Of America by Great100000: 2:54pm On Jan 15, 2021
aderinsola75355:
Africa is my Fatherland...Nigeria is my country ooo ��
Yes ooo
Re: Oyotunji Village: A Small Yoruba Village In United State Of America by Iceyjayz: 7:31pm On Jan 15, 2021
Wow! this is too great
Re: Oyotunji Village: A Small Yoruba Village In United State Of America by Drenimarcus(m): 2:50am On Jan 16, 2021
OP. Please where is this located? One does not need to book ticket to Nigeria anymore cheesy
Re: Oyotunji Village: A Small Yoruba Village In United State Of America by Great100000: 6:17am On Jan 16, 2021
Drenimarcus:
OP. Please where is this located? One does not need to book ticket to Nigeria anymore cheesy
Lolz
Re: Oyotunji Village: A Small Yoruba Village In United State Of America by Oppypoppy: 7:11am On Jan 16, 2021
pharmagba:

Yes they call them the "Eku tribe" bc Yorubas greet alot using the word "eku" eg e ku ijoko, e. ku ise, e ku inawo, e ku ana, e kasan etc.
Re: Oyotunji Village: A Small Yoruba Village In United State Of America by Great100000: 9:29am On Jan 16, 2021
Oppypoppy:

Yes they call them the "Eku tribe" bc Yorubas greet alot using the word "eku" eg e ku ijoko, e. ku ise, e ku inawo, e ku ana, e kasan etc.
Wow!!!

(1) (Reply)

Spring /autumn Admission In Europe Without Toefl / London School Of Business And Finance (manchester) Is Offering 40% Disc. On Acca / Commissioning Of Aminu Kano Intl Airport On 15th March 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.