Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,229 members, 7,849,823 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 10:17 AM

ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers (51237 Views)

Sex In A Car In A Public Place Is Not A Crime In Nigeria – Police Acp / Missing Lady Escaped from Kidnappers/Ritualist After Some Days / Teenage Girls Rescued From Kidnappers In Rivers State (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by sonofElElyon: 6:29pm On Jan 18, 2021
check the meaning of terms please!

the police officer wasn't aware of the kidnapping before or during the act! a car was brought to him AFTER THE KIDNAPPING AND THEFT! That doesn't qualify as aiding and abetting kidnapping! clearly different from the example you cited in which someone planned with armed robbers to rob.. totally different scenario.

BestOsai:

He was aware the car was stolen.The car wasnt just stolen, it was stolen during a kidnapping operation.By buying the car ,he was encouraging (aiding ) kidnapping.I know of somebody who connived with armed robbers to rob the filing station where he was working.He too hot death penalty alongside the armed robbers.The judge said that for him to know how to contract armed robbers ,he too was a robber as well.Its the same thing in this case.

1 Like

Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by hotseat: 6:41pm On Jan 18, 2021
Life imprisonment for buying a stolen car? The punishment is not commensurate with the sentence meted on the said ACP.

1 Like

Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Chatflick(m): 6:52pm On Jan 18, 2021
Uredan46:

Do have bot for binary.com?
For trading synthetics?
Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jan 18, 2021
longetivity:
He should be killed instead

Try and be reasonable abeg.

1 Like

Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Hologram0t: 6:55pm On Jan 18, 2021
sad
Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Richie77: 7:12pm On Jan 18, 2021
Main kidnappers , 5years imprisonment and buyer of stolen goods, life imprisonment .When you fail to get a professional criminal lawyer, that's what you get .

1 Like

Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Nobody: 7:14pm On Jan 18, 2021
HenryThegreat1:
You sentenced someone to life imprisonment because he bought a stolen car?
The judgment is not OK jor.
Such judgement is one of the reasons why I say life is absurd.

1 Like

Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Ghostmode2two(m): 7:18pm On Jan 18, 2021
Buying cheap car
Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Godstime234: 7:18pm On Jan 18, 2021
This man is innocent of the crime he was charge for. I was with him in ado ekiti prison and I listened to his story. It was a case of man cut man Cutlass for leg. He was being beefed at his place of work. He never knew those kidnappers , the said mechanic that he bought the car from was discharged during trial. The said car is an Hilux . Why was the kidnappers given 5 years imprisonment and he was given life sentence. This was a man that was due to retire in Dec 2015 but got implicated around June 2015. I hope he will appeal this judgement .

1 Like

Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Dukeolumidemans(m): 7:30pm On Jan 18, 2021
Chatflick:
Wahala be like draw soup. Meanwhile see this...

Chat me up on 08036892360. Maybe we can do a good collabo.
Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by ABSTRUSE: 7:30pm On Jan 18, 2021
SenecaTheYonger:

Nah I think this is a good precedent and it definitely should be law. If we can’t keep our law enforcers grounded and humble, we will never have a good country. I commend this judge for his decision.

You are encouraging very dangerous precedence then.
The job of the judiciary is to interpret the law not to make it. And justice must always be according to the law according to the whims and caprices of a judicial officer.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by desmond2pk: 7:49pm On Jan 18, 2021
Life in prisonment for buying a stolen car ?
Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by SenecaTheYonger: 7:50pm On Jan 18, 2021
ABSTRUSE:

You are encouraging very dangerous precedence then.
The job of the judiciary is to interpret the law not to make it. And justice must always be according to the law according to the whims and caprices of a judicial officer.

The laws were written by man and isn't set in stone therefore can be changed. The audacity you have to quote law nonsense for me when the police often disregard the law 99% of the time. How many people are in prison without fair trial across the country? How many have died there? How many police officers have been brought to book for all the extrajudicial killings? I prefer if every erring officer gets hanged. So this judge was merciful in my book
Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by bluebay(m): 7:51pm On Jan 18, 2021
Life imprisonments for buying stolen car? The Judge must have channel his domestic Frustration to the case

1 Like

Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by ABSTRUSE: 7:53pm On Jan 18, 2021
SenecaTheYonger:

The laws were written by man and isn't set in stone therefore can be changed. The audacity you have to quote law nonsense for me when the police often disregard the law 99% of the time. How many people are in prison without fair trial across the country? How many have died there? How many police officers have been brought to book for all the extrajudicial killings? I prefer if every erring officer gets hanged. So this judge was merciful in my book

Kk
Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by freeman67: 7:56pm On Jan 18, 2021
michoim:
I don't understand. The real kidnappers were sent to 5 years imprisonment while the person that just bought a stolen vehicle from the kidnappers is being sentenced to life imprisonment. How fair is that judgement?

There is more to this things than meet the eyes. A police officer just told me that has to be that way for some possible reasons.

1. He ought to have known better being that he is an officer. He should have been the one advising against such.

2. The kidnapping/car theft business is still thriving because of people like him who buys what they stole. Thus, he aided and abetted the crime.

3. His fellow police officer( Prosecutor) also proved beyond reasonable doubt that he was aware that the car was stolen before buying it. That is a conduct unbecoming of a police officer. It is also a very serious misconduct.
Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Fembleez1(m): 7:58pm On Jan 18, 2021
Karleb:

That makes two of us. The law even stated that if one buys a stolen vehicle it means they are aware that the vehicle is stolen.

How just is such law?

The law fix you with the knowledge that once you buy it, you know everything about it before paying for it. That is, you paid for it after carrying out due investigation into how the owner came about the property.

There's nothing unjust in that law sir.

However, there are defences if the owner so conceal his fraud, that prevents you from finding out his fraudulent act.

It must be noted sir, this is a case with extraordinary circumstance. This case involves an officer of the law. He has all the resources to know how the vehicle came into being, but he ignored it.

Plus sir, it was stated he knew it was stolen.

On the issue of unfair or imbalance sentence of the court. I can't comment fully on that, I haven't commit to reading about sentencing in general. But there is what is called Plea Bargaining, it is enshrined in Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA) 2015. Where a criminal can "cooperate" with the court in investigation for a lesser sentence. I believe this is what played out here with the Sentence.

NB:- My long essay is somewhat focused on this Plea Bargaining. I don't like the concept. Though there's argument it helps the court or judiciary to easily and timely dispense a case.

If you want to buy a land from me, won't you care whether I have the right to sell? Which other of my family might be entitled to the land? How I came about the land? Is it family property or individual ownership or community owned? Who was the first occupier of the land? Family descent? Is it a virgin land? ETC

I'm open to corrections Sir! smiley

1 Like

Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by nakamoraa(m): 8:02pm On Jan 18, 2021
michoim:
I don't understand. The real kidnappers were sent to 5 years imprisonment while the person that just bought a stolen vehicle from the kidnappers is being sentenced to life imprisonment. How fair is that judgement?

This is because, the buyer is the real thief. He is the one sending the kidnappers to unleash mayhem.
Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Karleb(m): 8:02pm On Jan 18, 2021
Fembleez1:

The law fix you with the knowledge that once you buy it, you know everything about it before paying for it. That is, you paid for it after carrying out due investigation into how the owner came about the property.

There's nothing unjust in that law sir.

If you want to buy a land from me, won't you care whether I have the right to sell? Which other of my family might be entitled to the land? How I came about the land? Is it family property or individual ownership or community owned? Who was the first occupier of the land? Family descent? Is it a virgin land? ETC

A just law sentenced thieves to 5 years imprisonment but the innocent fellow who bought from the thieves with his own money gets life imprisonment?

As far as I'm concerned, the seller could have lied about the real owner of the car.

People especially mechanics help others sell cars in Nigeria from time to time. It's not strange.

1 Like

Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by writeprof(m): 8:05pm On Jan 18, 2021
Life imprisonment for buying stolen goods or for another crime?

1 Like

Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by nakamoraa(m): 8:08pm On Jan 18, 2021
An advice to people that buys everything they see.

Stop buying unless you have the original receipt.

If caught the weight of your own offense will supercede that of the Thief that stole...

If you didn't encourage him to steal by buying the stolen properties, he wouldn't have continued stealing.

#Bewarned!
Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Scetrocom: 8:10pm On Jan 18, 2021
Na wa o! The real kidnappers got 5 years each, but the police officer got life imprisonment for buying from kidnappers. Is this proper?

Meanwhile, do you know you can be making money by simply like post on facebook? Contact me on WhatsApp for detail. 08052631908.
Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Fembleez1(m): 8:10pm On Jan 18, 2021
Karleb:

A just law sentenced thieves to 5 years imprisonment but the innocent fellow who bought from the thieves with his own money gets life imprisonment?

As far as I'm concerned, the seller could have lied about the real owner of the car.

People especially mechanics help others sell cars in Nigeria from time to time. It's not strange.

I modified my comment sir. You can through it again. I believe I addressed the above judiciously.
Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Fembleez1(m): 8:27pm On Jan 18, 2021
Karleb:

Kidnappers sir! Not thieves! I don't have access to the way the Prosecution framed the Charge. If I were to be in the Prosecutor's shoes, I will frame the charge to include Robbery or Stealing. So as to add to whatever sentence the accused/defendant is getting for Kidnapping and other related offences.

I wish I have the full case. That way I might be able to understand the Reasoning of the Court for arriving at such sentence for the Police Officer.

Yet, I believe he's getting that not only because of buying stolen property, but also for negligence, aiding and abetting, and many more offences or code of conduct he might have broken just with buying a stolen car.

I searched online and I saw 10years for kidnapping. This is subject to what textbook or Law I might access to find out sentence for kidnapping(not readily available at the moment). But I believe if the kidnapping had involved injury or murder, the sentence would have been different.

The way Robbery is different from Armed Robbery, so is the sentence different.
Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Dollanaira: 8:43pm On Jan 18, 2021
Jesus
Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by uuzba(m): 9:00pm On Jan 18, 2021
hotseat:
Life imprisonment for buying a stolen car? The punishment is not commensurate with the sentence meted on the said ACP.
But the accused is a police man who should have been catching the thieves instead of buying their market. Hence the severe punishment.
Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by ibinaboonline: 9:17pm On Jan 18, 2021
Definitely appeal. Life imprisonment for buying stolen vehicle? Too harsh.

1 Like

Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by mechanics(m): 9:30pm On Jan 18, 2021
The judgement is baised.

1 Like

Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Golan007: 9:37pm On Jan 18, 2021
mansakhalifa:

He was a police officer... a high-ranking one at that.

There can be no excuses here.

One would expect that he would have done his due diligence as regards that vehicle before proceeding to do business with the bandits.

Here is a man who was in the perfect position. He could easily have gotten every single detail about that car at his finger tips if only he had bothered to exercise the privileges that came with his position. Very disappointing.

Justice well served.
Just curious about the life sentence.

1 Like

Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Tekrify(m): 10:09pm On Jan 18, 2021
That is a very fair judgement dear..
Although the kidnapers years could have increased a bit...but that of the officer is just perfect...like what the fuvk..how can a whole senior police officer.. senior dat has subordinates and supposed to command other officers not to talk of protect the citizens do such..if it one low officer ..I would say maybe it poverty
.but fuvk..a senior mehn..he should have been killed sef.. just saying
michoim:
Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Briller: 10:12pm On Jan 18, 2021
Why am I not surprised. They are the main robbers.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Prince Mark Boley Green Card Scam Busted 'Best Sex Ever' Text Message / Man Arrested In Delta For Stabbing 19-Year-Old Girlfriend To Death (Photos) / Face Of Man Who Led A 30-man Robbery Gang

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.