Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,922 members, 7,835,074 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:14 AM

Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad (37988 Views)

My Nasty Experience With Nigerian In New Jersey / Why Are Nigerian Churches Abroad(mostly RCCG) Epicenters For Drama And Toxicity / Oke Osharode: Cape Verde, Travelling With Nigerian Passport May Mean Deportation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by yembet(f): 7:04am On Jan 25, 2021
SirToby:
Good evening friends.
I was going through this thread yesterday and the writer clearly advised any new immigrant to stay from Nigerian churches abroad in other to avoid drama and Toxicity.

https://www.nairaland.com/6328171/sad-truths-living-abroad

Please I want people to share the experiences with Nigerian churches abroad.

I am planing to travel out before this year runs out and I needs to be well informed with regards to churches.
Relocating to UK (london) has never been part of my plan due to high population of Nigerians residing there. Why should I leave Nigeria for another country with high concentration of Nigerians. It makes no difference anymore.

Please kindly help us share your experiences with Nigerian churches abroad. Thanks

Cc: DisGuy, justwise

Attending church is a matter of choice, either in Nigeria or in the United kingdom.
But if you were born a Christian and you are convinced in your heart you want to carry on as a christian, nothing can stop you.
Church going in the UK is simple and straightforward. Go to church, serve your God, and go back to your house.
Here the best motto , is to mind your business. The more friends you have, the more trouble you have.
It has been a great experience here.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by Prince001(m): 7:20am On Jan 25, 2021
SirToby:
Good evening friends.
I was going through this thread yesterday and the writer clearly advised any new immigrant to stay from Nigerian churches abroad in other to avoid drama and Toxicity.

I am planing to travel out before this year runs out and I needs to be well informed with regards to churches.
Relocating to UK (london) has never been part of my plan due to high population of Nigerians residing there. Why should I leave Nigeria for another country with high concentration of Nigerians. It makes no difference anymore.

Please kindly help us share your experiences with Nigerian churches abroad. Thanks

Cos the Government of where u are going have their on constitution and they abide by it unlike in Nigeria!
Imagine I want to come home now, to renew my Nigeria passport na wahala. They got 6 numbers for services at d embassy here in Germany but if u call those numbers no one will pick it. I wrote them email still same thing no reply.
Nigeria embassy in Germany is just a waste!
Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by gabicon: 7:34am On Jan 25, 2021
feedthenation:

---There's no perfect church---and churches aren't meant to be perfect either---Jesus Christ had 12 disciples---amongst whom where zealots---one stealing from the common purse---one with serious anger issues etc---

Yes there is no perfect church but the church should strive to perfection (become better) every passing day.
Peter the coward after an encounter with Jesus became the responsible for the Jews, Paul a killer became responsible for the gentiles, Thomas the doubter spoke boldly in aft the Holy spirit came down.

Some churches are less body ruled than others, the lesser the easier to worship. There were 7 churches in Asia minor the growth of its members was dependent on the amount of drama in the church.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by zorani(m): 8:04am On Jan 25, 2021
Kunja2:
is it possible they help me relocate? I'm not sounding entitled please, just asking. I have my money, na just the visa be the issue

If you are ready to slave for Daddy and Mummy in the name of 'God's work', then maybe.
Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by SirToby(m): 8:32am On Jan 25, 2021
Prince001:

Cos the Government of where u are going have their on constitution and they abide by it unlike in Nigeria!
Imagine I want to come home now, to renew my Nigeria passport na wahala. They got 6 numbers for services at d embassy here in Germany but if u call those numbers no one will pick it. I wrote them email still same thing no reply.
It is well o. We also have lawless embassies abroad
Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by SirToby(m): 9:54am On Jan 25, 2021
Leshurr:
I see you referenced my thread @op lol.
Ok, so I've been to quite a number of churches abroad.. I'll share a quick summary of my impression/experiences so far:

Christ Embassy: Very cult-like, they literally worship Chris Oyakilome like a god. I've been to services where the congregation (alongside the resident pastor) just sits for the entire service, watching video clips of their 'daddy in the lord'. Then they will pressure you to purchase his books (e.g. rhapsodies of reality) They all talk and act the same way and are often fond of misquoting the Bible for selfish/ ridiculous agendas. I've personally experienced a few Christ embassy guys quote the Bible while trying to get down with me.. like wtf! .fornication doesn't seem to be a sin to them because "love" covers a multitude of sins lipsrsealed.They also tend to date and marry within the cult - you will hardly see a Christ Embassy member choosing a spouse from any other church.

KICC: This church has a reputation of being a shallow prosperity focused church but surprisingly, the members are such lovely people. Though they like to speak init lingo by force cheesy
The main headquarters tend to preach prosperity gospel a lot. However, smaller branches scattered around other cities outside London are usually very friendly and Christ focused (they may be small in congregation but are usually such a tight knitted, supportive family of believers).

RCCG: These are the absolute worst when it comes to prejudice and classism and the 'Jesus House' branch (London) is the main headquarters of such. Just make a mistake and go there dressed in a casual manner, you will regret your life! a church where intimidation thrives. Low income earners can never be given ministerial/pastoral roles. Who you are in society determines the respect you get. Positions are given to people not based on spiritual soundness but on how much you earn, package yourself and speak Christianese. I know husband beaters, wife batterers and child abusers who are currently in ministerial positions at RCCG. A male friend of mine told me of a supposed family man who is secretly a homosexual who has been appointed as a pastor at a particular branch because he is a medical doctor - he knows the man is gay because he tried to get down with him!
To sum of my point, what you will find in these churches: ungodly living, unhealthy competition, gossip, people looking down on low earners/those who don't know how to dress. Although, if you are a typical shallow minded, cunning and rugged Nigerian, you may fit right in!

Other black churches (VPA, New Wine etc..) Scandalous. very scandalous churches. Either the pastors are involved in one scandal or another, or there is heavy rumour mongering amongst the congregation.

White Baptist or Anglican Churches: Extremely boring!

White Pentecostal churches: Praise and worship is like a Mumford &Sons concert : bright lights, huge band on stage, loud music where everyone jumps up and down during service. You may come across a few black people here and there but will find that they are often disenfranchised and not properly integrated within the church community. They show acceptance to blacks but it's often shallow (if you know what I mean).

Ghanian churches (like Lighthouse): Generally ok churches. Not much drama and the true members stick together like family. You tend to find a few Nigerians in these churches as well.. the ratio would be 70% Ghanaian 30% Nigerian. If you're looking for a black church with less 9ja like dramatics, go to lighthouse. Oh and brace yourself to always shout "mercy", "preach it!" during sermon cheesy
Thanks for the info. I like how you clarify everything

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by Dliquidmetal(m): 10:27am On Jan 25, 2021
eagleonearth:
you have nothing to do with church but you use a "pastor's" name as moniker Abi the pastor na SMD?
grin the liquid metal isnt a pastors name,even if it is in this case it's a metaphor
Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by seunny4lif(m): 10:55am On Jan 25, 2021
Nigeria Embassy is Germany is far better than Rome, Dublin and London embassies
Pray God no carry you go those embassies, you will ask God why he carry you go Nigeria in the first place.
Do know many people have been deported because those Nigeria embassies don’t pick call or replied mail esp Rome ?
Prince001:

Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by Tapout(m): 11:42am On Jan 25, 2021
Brightfab:

My friend go and sit down, you don't have anything to contribute to this thread.

No mind am abeg. Person wey talk say em get chance to migrate and he turned it down. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by egobetatoday: 11:47am On Jan 25, 2021
MoneyTrees:
Dear madam,
From the tone of your comments I'll rightly suggest that you're not in this shithole country right now, so I expected that you'd sound enlightened atleast let the ones back home learn from you as they're looking up to you.
So up until now you dunno that religion is a scam? & You're abroad? Nne you're wasting the value of that visa lipsrsealed embarassed

Mediocre reasoning
I'm not impressed grin grin
These ones back home will now continue to keep being useless to themselves in the name of religion.
You aff pain me
You're not doing well angry
How can you encourage tithe/offering & other scam acts

You only know what is good for you, you cannot know what is good for the next person. Why is it so hard for Nigerians to respect themselves and other people's choices/opinions. Try to respect others pls

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by handsomeyitayo(m): 12:50pm On Jan 25, 2021
DannyG8:
why you like country like Netherlands and Switzerland
nigerian are not much there unlike united kingdom
Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by DannyG8(m): 3:24pm On Jan 25, 2021
handsomeyitayo:
nigerian are not much there unlike united kingdom
noted I still dey prepare jare
Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by Kunja2: 4:04pm On Jan 25, 2021
zorani:

If you are ready to slave for Daddy and Mummy in the name of 'God's work', then maybe.
I like it like that. You get the connect?
Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by handsomeyitayo(m): 4:58pm On Jan 25, 2021
DannyG8:
noted I still dey prepare jare
were you won go
Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by Mide3367: 9:42pm On Jan 25, 2021
Well it was an hilarious experience but painful as Nigerians are doing eye service there. Too too much jare
Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by PDPGuy: 11:59pm On Jan 25, 2021
descarado:

Especially with the manufactured foreign accent.
Oh gosh!
That's where u will notice that majority of us have low self esteem
U will never see a south African, Ghanaian, gambian, Kenyan etc deny their mother tongue cos they want to fit in.

I always tell anybody who feign to struggle with hearing my accent to listen very well, if I can hear him or her, she or him should make effort to hear me. And once you say this, they will sit up and respond appropriately.
End of story

Great point you made. I’ve noticed in America that whenever it comes to money, specifically giving White people money, they never complain about your accent. They will always hear your perfectly grin
Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by golddare: 9:13am On Jan 26, 2021
SirToby:
Good evening friends.

1. Churches are charity organisations, they dont pay taxes rather they get 25% from government for every money donated by a tax payers.

2. The government audit them because they expected them to spend the money on charity in their various community members.

3. They have no choice but to be nice and support people although some have a way of circumventing it, last last oyibo will catch them.

4. Some are good some are bad.

5. If you want to understand practical christianity go to Oyibo church.

6. Hmmm! Nigerians no dey mind their biz, they can show off and put you on unnecessary pressures if you allow them.

7. Class dey naija church, those who get Paali and those without pali, thos with mortgage and those in council house etc.

8. Sometimes it's easier to discuss your immigration problems with people from your areas unfortunately some of them will wrongly advised you , so try your luck.

9. If you want to see genuine love and care, go Oyibo church but if you believed your village people are always after you go to Naija church.

10. That's all for now

7 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by davide470(m): 10:25am On Jan 26, 2021
Leshurr:

White Pentecostal churches: Praise and worship is like a Mumford &Sons concert : bright lights, huge band on stage, loud music where everyone jumps up and down during service. You may come across a few black people here and there but will find that they are often disenfranchised and not properly integrated within the church community. They show acceptance to blacks but it's often shallow (if you know what I mean).

cheesy cheesy The Mumford & Sons reference!! Quite true! but M & S is my favourite English band though

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by Leshurr(f): 10:32am On Jan 26, 2021
XRJP:

Hahaha

What a description cheesy cheesy

Reminds me of their songs - the cave and -winter winds
davide470:
cheesy cheesy The Mumford & Sons reference!! Quite true! but M & S is my favourite English band though

So you guys know.. hahaha cheesy
Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by 79733139(m): 12:30pm On Jan 26, 2021
If you are in a profession where you make regular presentations/proposals and your progress depends on decision-makers accepting and implementing your recommendations and advice (like data scientists, financial analysts) learning a standard/neutral accent like the RP accent or General American accent helps a lot.

In that situation (where it's a presentation and not a discussion), you can NOT out-rightly tell them to make an effort to hear you, that's a fatal blow to your career, you are better off learning a neutral accent and knowing when to switch.

There are programs and teachers that can help you learn how to speak with a neutral British or American accent, an example is Tafawa Balewa (our 1st prime minister) he spoke with a clear British accent because his school in the North (yes Northern Nigeria) had mostly British teachers.

descarado:

Especially with the manufactured foreign accent.
Oh gosh!
That's where u will notice that majority of us have low self esteem
U will never see a south African, Ghanaian, gambian, Kenyan etc deny their mother tongue cos they want to fit in.

I always tell anybody who feign to struggle with hearing my accent to listen very well, if I can hear him or her, she or him should make effort to hear me. And once you say this, they will sit up and respond appropriately.
End of story.
Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by DannyG8(m): 2:34pm On Jan 26, 2021
handsomeyitayo:
were you won go
Canada
Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by XRJP: 11:58pm On Jan 26, 2021
Leshurr:

So you guys know.. hahaha cheesy

Ahn ahn

Whàt do you mean? shocked

You don't think there are Nigerians who enjoy their songs?
Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by Aidejay(m): 12:25pm On Jan 27, 2021
Vlain:

Tufiakwa. This is so disgusting to read.
Ur inferiority complex stinks asf
That was sarcasm.
Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by handsomeyitayo(m): 12:21am On Jan 29, 2021
DannyG8:
Canada
canada is ok... hope rascm no dey dere
Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by Midex88(m): 6:35am On Jun 15, 2022
Hmm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

White Man Urinates On The Road In Warri (photo) / The Biggest Things Ever To Be Transported By Sea / Air Peace Orders 30 Brand New E195-E2 Jets In $2.1bn Deal With Embraer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.