Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,103 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:01 AM

How are mobile apps made to run on different OS? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How are mobile apps made to run on different OS? (431 Views)

How Are Mobile And Desktop Apps Styled / 5 + 1 Android Apps Made By Nigerians You Should Try / Nigerian Developed Mobile Apps - Yaay Or Nay? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How are mobile apps made to run on different OS? by The5DME(m): 7:54pm On Jan 23, 2021
I have a question to ask. How are mobile apps made to work on different OS? Take for example, xender. I know android apps are built with Java and apple objective C. Does it mean that the xender app have to be "rebuilt" with objective C to run on android?
Forgive my ignorance, I'm still coming up.

Cc: karleb, tensazengetsu20, cixak95211
Re: How are mobile apps made to run on different OS? by gyrationtech(m): 8:15pm On Jan 23, 2021
The5DME:
I have a question to ask. How are mobile apps made to work on different OS? Take for example, xender. I know android apps are built with Java and apple kotlin. Does it mean that the xender app have to be "rebuilt" with kotlin to run on android?
Forgive my ignorance, I'm still coming up.

Cc: karleb, tensazengetsu20, cixak95211

There are hybrid frameworks such as Flutter, React Native, Ionic... For building cross platform applications.

They utilize one general codebase. Then slight modifications for exporting the application on various OS
Re: How are mobile apps made to run on different OS? by cixak95211: 8:24pm On Jan 23, 2021
End of story !!!
Re: How are mobile apps made to run on different OS? by valzey(m): 8:13am On Jan 24, 2021
Although you're partly right, apart from the cross platform solution mentioned by @gryrationtech, you pretty much have to rewrite the program for another OS.
Re: How are mobile apps made to run on different OS? by zum19: 3:00pm On Jan 24, 2021
Cross platform na scam. Just build your app specifically for each OS. Looks like work, but it's worth it in the end.

1 Like

Re: How are mobile apps made to run on different OS? by Karleb(m): 4:43pm On Jan 24, 2021
zum19:
Cross platform na scam. Just build your app specifically for each OS. Looks like work, but it's worth it in the end.

I always thought that too.

If cross platform was the way, why are big companies not using it? Why bother learning a 'single platform' language? Why are IOS developers so cherished?
Re: How are mobile apps made to run on different OS? by Grandlord: 8:38am On Jan 30, 2021
Karleb:

I always thought that too.

If cross platform was the way, why are big companies not using it? Why bother learning a 'single platform' language? Why are IOS developers so cherished?

You're asking the right questions. Companies wouldn't break even if they went with cross-platform because they're building large, complex and custom solutions that can only efficiently run on native.

Developing with cross-platform leads you down the rabbit hole where you will eventually need native knowledge and tools. So why hire a cross-platform guy when you'd still need a native guy in the end? That's extra costs. It's better to use native from the get go.
Re: How are mobile apps made to run on different OS? by Segom: 9:23am On Jan 30, 2021
Grandlord:

You're asking the right questions. Companies wouldn't break even if they went with cross-platform because they're building large, complex and custom solutions that can only efficiently run on native.

Developing with cross-platform leads you down the rabbit hole where you will eventually need native knowledge and tools. So why hire a cross-platform guy when you'd still need a native guy in the end? That's extra costs. It's better to use native from the get go.

And who told you big enterprise companies don't use cross platform.

Here are companies using cross platform (React Native)

FACEBOOK
UBER EAT
BLOOMBERG
And many more
Native language is extra expensive for companies to work with especially when you need your team in one place. Most companies cannot afford huge cost on developers alone when they have other areas to push money into.

(1) (Reply)

Safemoon Cash Motivation / Web Developers Needed For Freelance Work / How To Record Youtube Videos With VLC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.