Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,291 members, 7,811,869 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:46 PM

Union Bank’s Principal Owner ‘considering Sale Of 50% Stake’ - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Union Bank’s Principal Owner ‘considering Sale Of 50% Stake’ (24625 Views)

Union Bank Dismisses Report Of Plans By Principal Owner To Sell 50% Stake / FIRS Dismisses Report Of 50% VAT Increase / Union Bank Replies An Angry Customer Who Wants To Leave The Bank On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Union Bank’s Principal Owner ‘considering Sale Of 50% Stake’ by Islie: 3:10pm On Jan 24, 2021
Atlas Mara has received offers from local banks wishing to buy over Union Bank.
By Ronald Adamolekun

The holder of the biggest stake in Union Bank of Nigeria is contemplating its future with the Lagos-based lender, as its 49.97 per cent ownership has received acquisition offers from domestic bidders, Bloomberg has reported, citing insiders familiar with the subject.

Early interests in the shareholding of Atlas Mara, a financial services holding company, quoted on the London Stock Exchange, are coming from local banks intent on widening their reach in the Nigerian market, according to sources pleading anonymity because negotiations are still under wraps.

Atlas Mara is currently engaging financial advisor Rothschild & Co. but the deal could be consummated as an outright sale or take another direction as the landscape of a definite takeover is not yet clear.

Nigeria’s biggest lender, Access Bank, is forging a deal with the firm to buy its assets in Zimbabwe, Botswana and Zambia, with that deal close to being delivered.

The bank said at an analyst call this week it was looking to gain traction in the financial markets of eight other African countries in a bid to leverage the potential of the continent’s new free trade agreement.

Atlas Mara, based in British Virgin Islands, is paring down its size, following a growth plan that went bad in that it wrongly estimated competition in Africa when it overpaid for acquisitions.

The company’s share of Union Bank, which has a market value of N161.620 billion, is its largest asset and is viewed as a strategic positioning in Africa’s biggest economy.

Bob Diamond, who jointly founded the financial services group, vacated his post as chair of Atlas Mara about two years ago for Michael Wilkerson, chairman of Fairfax Africa, which wields 49% stake in the company.

Union Bank closed trade on the floor of the Nigerian Stock Exchange on Friday at N5.55 per share, up by 1.83%.

A spokesperson for Union Bank, Ogochukwu Ekezie-Ekaidem, told PREMIUM TIMES inquiries should be directed to Atlas Mara.

Atlas Mara did not respond to a PREMIUM TIMES request, via email, for comment.
https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/438293-union-banks-principal-owner-considering-sale-of-50-stake.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Union Bank’s Principal Owner ‘considering Sale Of 50% Stake’ by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jan 24, 2021
Not the first time hearing this news.

Union bank used to be scrappy but Atlas Mara changed and rebranded union bank, now they want to cash out by selling their stake

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Union Bank’s Principal Owner ‘considering Sale Of 50% Stake’ by Jestin: 4:09pm On Jan 24, 2021
if that is done, that bank will be dead finally

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Union Bank’s Principal Owner ‘considering Sale Of 50% Stake’ by WiszyFraud: 4:09pm On Jan 24, 2021
Hope Our Money Wouldn't Be Part Of Your Crap?? Some of us have suffered so much for just being a Nigerian
undecided

5 Likes

Re: Union Bank’s Principal Owner ‘considering Sale Of 50% Stake’ by Adonis86(m): 4:09pm On Jan 24, 2021
Did I read that Access bank wants to buy Union bank shares?

Please, Access Bank is not able to manage its customers with the Diamond Bank counterparts it bought last year. They've been doing reckless deductions from their customers instead.

Someone approached me last week, he says I should advice him between First Bank and Access bank where to open an account. I suggested Access Bank, but on a second thought after recalling their daily robbery, I called back the guy and told him not to open an account with those banks. I rather suggested two different banks to him althogether.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Union Bank’s Principal Owner ‘considering Sale Of 50% Stake’ by esmarcq(m): 4:09pm On Jan 24, 2021
I want to buy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Union Bank’s Principal Owner ‘considering Sale Of 50% Stake’ by inoki247: 4:09pm On Jan 24, 2021
He don reach dat side mak I go use my 125naira wey dey my Union Bank buy Card before dem swallow my money....

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Union Bank’s Principal Owner ‘considering Sale Of 50% Stake’ by nurez305(m): 4:10pm On Jan 24, 2021
I wonder who uses all thes banks, Union bank, keystone , polaris, fcmb, wema and sterling bank ..... I use to think maybe they had no choice in getting major bank account or they hate anything innovation In their life

3 Likes

Re: Union Bank’s Principal Owner ‘considering Sale Of 50% Stake’ by Cutehector(m): 4:10pm On Jan 24, 2021
Me sef i want to buy it. Nonsense

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Union Bank’s Principal Owner ‘considering Sale Of 50% Stake’ by naijadrivablog: 4:10pm On Jan 24, 2021
Better do before another bank buy am.
Re: Union Bank’s Principal Owner ‘considering Sale Of 50% Stake’ by Tonymegabush1(m): 4:10pm On Jan 24, 2021
How much maybe I can stake 10%stake In it
Re: Union Bank’s Principal Owner ‘considering Sale Of 50% Stake’ by profstar(m): 4:10pm On Jan 24, 2021
Access Bank, where are you, see free lunch
Re: Union Bank’s Principal Owner ‘considering Sale Of 50% Stake’ by dxdiag(m): 4:11pm On Jan 24, 2021
D
Re: Union Bank’s Principal Owner ‘considering Sale Of 50% Stake’ by Golan007: 4:12pm On Jan 24, 2021
Access bank are not tired of duping Nigerians.
Re: Union Bank’s Principal Owner ‘considering Sale Of 50% Stake’ by yomalex(m): 4:12pm On Jan 24, 2021
Seems Access likes buying banks bigger than itself

9 Likes

Re: Union Bank’s Principal Owner ‘considering Sale Of 50% Stake’ by Seyzcham91(m): 4:12pm On Jan 24, 2021
grin grin grin
inoki247:
He don reach dat side mak I go use my 125naira wey dey my Union Bank buy Card before dem swallow my money....
Re: Union Bank’s Principal Owner ‘considering Sale Of 50% Stake’ by IMASTEX: 4:12pm On Jan 24, 2021
The bank really needed an upgrade. Now the fate of the staff are divided.

It is always good to have as many income backups as possible no matter how small. See what you can consider HERE

1 Like

Re: Union Bank’s Principal Owner ‘considering Sale Of 50% Stake’ by sojayy(m): 4:12pm On Jan 24, 2021
Better
Re: Union Bank’s Principal Owner ‘considering Sale Of 50% Stake’ by Starcrest1: 4:12pm On Jan 24, 2021
Well business goes on. Nothing is better than investing in a good business deal.

Brilliant.....
Re: Union Bank’s Principal Owner ‘considering Sale Of 50% Stake’ by Positivity(m): 4:13pm On Jan 24, 2021
Did I just read Rothschild is involved? . . . .

It's a done deal, matter of fact I'm buying their shares ASAP!

Edited: Rothschild is on the selling side. . . . undecided
Re: Union Bank’s Principal Owner ‘considering Sale Of 50% Stake’ by Firstorderwizard(m): 4:13pm On Jan 24, 2021
Access bank right now

28 Likes

Re: Union Bank’s Principal Owner ‘considering Sale Of 50% Stake’ by PHijo(m): 4:13pm On Jan 24, 2021
thebosstrevor1:
Not the first time hearing this news.

Union bank used to be scrappy but Atlas Mara changed and rebranded union bank, now they want to cash out by selling their stake

It is more of cutting down on their losses.
Buhari and oli price was bad for their investment.

2 Likes

Re: Union Bank’s Principal Owner ‘considering Sale Of 50% Stake’ by visijo(m): 4:13pm On Jan 24, 2021
Nice..

Do whatever you wish in this life but you see your partners phone stay away from it ��

4 Likes

Re: Union Bank’s Principal Owner ‘considering Sale Of 50% Stake’ by pickatyouu: 4:13pm On Jan 24, 2021
Union bank is an old generation bank. They need to update with modern trends and if this sales can help it then it's a good thing to do

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Union Bank’s Principal Owner ‘considering Sale Of 50% Stake’ by Kobicove(m): 4:13pm On Jan 24, 2021
If the regulators allow a merger between Union Bank and another large bank it would create a near monopoly and this would be counterproductive for the financial landscape in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Union Bank’s Principal Owner ‘considering Sale Of 50% Stake’ by AMvanquish: 4:15pm On Jan 24, 2021
Old people's Bank. Union & first bank, it's either your parents , one old uncle or aunty must definitely an have an account there.

3 Likes

Re: Union Bank’s Principal Owner ‘considering Sale Of 50% Stake’ by SoNature(m): 4:16pm On Jan 24, 2021
Where's Access Bank getting all the money to acquire these banks?

I hope that they have the capacity to manage all these assets.

One way a company can easily collapse is to invest in multiple areas without having the technical wherewithal to manage them.

4 Likes

Re: Union Bank’s Principal Owner ‘considering Sale Of 50% Stake’ by UnknownT: 4:16pm On Jan 24, 2021
The right time to collect that 50k loan they said my account is entitled to from their Sapele branch cool
Re: Union Bank’s Principal Owner ‘considering Sale Of 50% Stake’ by adioolayi(m): 4:16pm On Jan 24, 2021
All the horse logo na fluke The bank President Buhari bank with wan sink so
Re: Union Bank’s Principal Owner ‘considering Sale Of 50% Stake’ by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jan 24, 2021
wait is buying a bank a good business?
Re: Union Bank’s Principal Owner ‘considering Sale Of 50% Stake’ by ecomalchemist(m): 4:18pm On Jan 24, 2021
They had better moves with the current digital trends or remain obsolete in the grand scheme of things !

Affordable megatron 30,000mah and 50,000mah powerbanks, car scanners, fast charging cords, with 4 output units, type c and normal usb cord. payment on delivery within Lagos and Nationwide dispatch. Retail // Wholesale deals aavailable

Check sign
Re: Union Bank’s Principal Owner ‘considering Sale Of 50% Stake’ by persius555(m): 4:18pm On Jan 24, 2021
yomalex:
Seems Access likes buying banks bigger than itself

Many of the so called big banks are "walking corpse".

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dead-Man Withdraws N20,000 From Account In Benin / Kaduna, Dangote, Boi, Others To Acquire PAN – El-rufai / Before You Take A Business Loan, Make Sure You Know The Answer To This Question

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.