Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,147 members, 7,815,017 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:53 AM

Doug Emhoff: 10 Things To Know About Kamala Harris' Husband - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Doug Emhoff: 10 Things To Know About Kamala Harris' Husband (41731 Views)

Kamala Harris: 10 Things You Don't Know About The US Vice President (Photos) / Biography, Net Worth Of Kamala Harris, The US Vice President-Elect / Kamala Harris Becomes First Woman V.P In The U.S (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Doug Emhoff: 10 Things To Know About Kamala Harris' Husband by WriterNig: 7:55am On Jan 27, 2021

When Kamala Harris became the first Black female vice president in American history, her husband, Doug Emhoff, also became the country's first-ever second gentleman.

Emhoff, who was described as the Biden-Harris campaign's "secret weapon," is an accomplished entertainment lawyer. In a move that defies stereotypical gender norms, he's leaving his law practice in order to focus on supporting his wife's political career.

Here are 10 things to know about Emhoff:

1. Doug Emhoff was born in Brooklyn, New York, and grew up in New Jersey before moving to California with his family at age 17.

Emhoff lived in Old Bridge and Matawan, New Jersey, from 1969 until 1981. He tweeted that New Jersey "is still very much in my veins" in response to a Harris campaign worker returning home to the state for Thanksgiving.

2. He's been an entertainment lawyer for over 25 years.
Emhoff was a partner at DLA Piper in Los Angeles specializing in intellectual property and entertainment and media law. He earned his law degree at the University of Southern California.

3. He's litigated cases related to the intellectual property of the Taco Bell Chihuahua and the viral sensation "Pizza Rat."

A Michigan company named Wrench sued Taco Bell for breach of contract, claiming that Taco Bell had taken the chihuahua character they invented to another ad agency, TBWA, for adaptation into a television series. A federal judge ruled that Taco Bell — not TBWA, thanks to Emhoff — had to pay $42 million.

He also represented Jukin, a media company that owns the rights to the viral "Pizza Rat" video showing a rat dragging a New York slice down a flight of subway stairs, in copyright infringement lawsuits. As a result, GIFs of Pizza Rat were taken down across the internet.

4. He met Kamala Harris on a blind date in 2013.
The two were set up on a blind date by Harris' friend Chrisette Hudlin, who met Emhoff through work.

"The morning after our first date, @DouglasEmhoff emailed me a list of his available dates for the next couple of months," Harris wrote on Instagram on Emhoff's birthday in 2020. "He said, 'I want to see if we can make this work.' We've been making it work ever since."

Emhoff described meeting Harris as "love at first sight" in an Instagram post for her birthday.

5. The couple wed in a ceremony officiated by Harris' sister Maya in August 2014.

Harris and Emhoff held their wedding at a courthouse in Santa Barbara, California.

The ceremony incorporated elements of each of their heritages — Emhoff wore a flower around his neck according to Indian tradition, and they stepped on a glass in a Jewish wedding ritual.

6. He has two children, Cole and Ella, from a previous marriage to Kerstin Emhoff.

Doug and Kerstin divorced after 16 years and remain good friends. Kerstin is also friends with Harris — she even volunteered for Harris' campaign.

Cole earned a bachelor's degree in psychology from Colorado College in 2017, and Ella is studying apparel and textiles at Parsons School of Design, according to Alma. Harris wrote in Elle that she and Emhoff's children didn't like the term "stepmom," so they began calling her "Momala."

7. He's the first Jewish spouse of a vice president.
He and Harris released a video for Hanukkah in which they discussed the meaning of the holiday and lit a menorah. Emhoff also shared a Rosh Hashanah message for the Jewish new year in September.

8. With Harris inauguration as vice president, Emhoff will leave his practice and become a law professor at Georgetown.

Emhoff will teach a class called "Entertainment Law Disputes."

"I've long wanted to teach and serve the next generation of young lawyers," he said in a statement. "I couldn't be more excited to join the Georgetown community."

9. He's an avid golfer.
Emhoff was a member at Hillcrest Country Club, a historically Jewish country club in Los Angeles that formed when other establishments would not admit Jews. For a time, his Twitter bio included the descriptor "wannabe golfer."

10. He has a fantasy football team named Nirvana.

On what would have been Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain's 50th birthday in 2017, Emhoff tweeted a tribute to the star.

"My fantasy football team is still named Nirvana," he wrote. "Need I say more."

https://www.insider.com/doug-emhoff-facts-second-gentleman-2020-12

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doug Emhoff: 10 Things To Know About Kamala Harris' Husband by Thugnificent(m): 11:49am On Jan 27, 2021
Second gentleman grin grin

23 Likes

Re: Doug Emhoff: 10 Things To Know About Kamala Harris' Husband by chibike69: 12:20pm On Jan 27, 2021
grin
Re: Doug Emhoff: 10 Things To Know About Kamala Harris' Husband by Kevinsamba: 12:20pm On Jan 27, 2021
shocked
Re: Doug Emhoff: 10 Things To Know About Kamala Harris' Husband by slawormiir: 12:20pm On Jan 27, 2021
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright.....
If you know wetin dey go on for my mind now ehnnn as I dey see this American people pictures and names so....

See benz, lexus rx 350, lexus es 350, glk, venza...voltron....

If you a niggarrrr and you understand my statement then you must be a real niggarrr....
I owe you a nord vpn password and username or cyberghost vpn password.....so you can change your ip [internet protocol) from static to dynamic for you to huzzle

69 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Doug Emhoff: 10 Things To Know About Kamala Harris' Husband by Emu4life(m): 12:21pm On Jan 27, 2021
But she isn't the Nigerian VP, what our 'bizness' with her C'mon Nigerians, let's not be this jobless.

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Doug Emhoff: 10 Things To Know About Kamala Harris' Husband by Kevinsamba: 12:21pm On Jan 27, 2021
cool
Re: Doug Emhoff: 10 Things To Know About Kamala Harris' Husband by Muhylonaire007: 12:21pm On Jan 27, 2021
First husband
Re: Doug Emhoff: 10 Things To Know About Kamala Harris' Husband by passyhansome(m): 12:21pm On Jan 27, 2021
May we be known by our Names and not our wives name either way sha are good

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doug Emhoff: 10 Things To Know About Kamala Harris' Husband by Dexterfire: 12:21pm On Jan 27, 2021
Nice write-up
Re: Doug Emhoff: 10 Things To Know About Kamala Harris' Husband by Nobody: 12:21pm On Jan 27, 2021
nice write up
what about ten things we don't know about our vice president wife.. abi una Sabi her..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Doug Emhoff: 10 Things To Know About Kamala Harris' Husband by Opexzy: 12:22pm On Jan 27, 2021
Okay we don hear... Can we move on from America's politics and focus on this burning nation of ours.

To other Ops thinking about writing on topics like

10 things to know about Biden's dead son,

25 things to know about Kamala Haris' first landlords,

30 things to know about Jill Biden's first Boyfriend.

Please halt cheesy

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Doug Emhoff: 10 Things To Know About Kamala Harris' Husband by jayworld15(m): 12:22pm On Jan 27, 2021
There are many courses Africa considers useless but, in reality, they are hot cakes overseas. Psychology and textile studies...hmm

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doug Emhoff: 10 Things To Know About Kamala Harris' Husband by Lakeview: 12:22pm On Jan 27, 2021
Okay cool.
Make dem rule am well
Re: Doug Emhoff: 10 Things To Know About Kamala Harris' Husband by bamasite2: 12:22pm On Jan 27, 2021
Wahala..
The issue with public office: your privacy is now out the window

1 Like

Re: Doug Emhoff: 10 Things To Know About Kamala Harris' Husband by addexx: 12:22pm On Jan 27, 2021
5 things to know about me.

I

D

G

A

F

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doug Emhoff: 10 Things To Know About Kamala Harris' Husband by cappucino925(m): 12:23pm On Jan 27, 2021
okay………… what next?
Re: Doug Emhoff: 10 Things To Know About Kamala Harris' Husband by WiszyFraud: 12:23pm On Jan 27, 2021
Most Luckiest man on earth cheesy

Fvckking American vice president no be child's play lipsrsealed

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doug Emhoff: 10 Things To Know About Kamala Harris' Husband by BlessedNuel: 12:24pm On Jan 27, 2021
Noted....when you hit the right spot.... people go dey read up your biography.

It's good to be good

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doug Emhoff: 10 Things To Know About Kamala Harris' Husband by Marvieduke(f): 12:24pm On Jan 27, 2021
Nice man with good intelligence, I wish men in Nigerian will emulate his act of support for his wife.

9 Likes

Re: Doug Emhoff: 10 Things To Know About Kamala Harris' Husband by ijayebonyi(f): 12:24pm On Jan 27, 2021
Alright. Thanks
Re: Doug Emhoff: 10 Things To Know About Kamala Harris' Husband by Deborah98(f): 12:24pm On Jan 27, 2021
That's nice....
Re: Doug Emhoff: 10 Things To Know About Kamala Harris' Husband by saheedbadmus(m): 12:25pm On Jan 27, 2021
Kool
Re: Doug Emhoff: 10 Things To Know About Kamala Harris' Husband by fk001(m): 12:25pm On Jan 27, 2021
Senators are also into online blind date?
Re: Doug Emhoff: 10 Things To Know About Kamala Harris' Husband by Damseldammie(f): 12:25pm On Jan 27, 2021
Interesting
Re: Doug Emhoff: 10 Things To Know About Kamala Harris' Husband by Houseofglam7(f): 12:26pm On Jan 27, 2021
cool
Re: Doug Emhoff: 10 Things To Know About Kamala Harris' Husband by Optimistdude: 12:26pm On Jan 27, 2021
10 things this, 10 things that.....

Make una rest!!!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doug Emhoff: 10 Things To Know About Kamala Harris' Husband by joelbooks: 12:26pm On Jan 27, 2021
Re: Doug Emhoff: 10 Things To Know About Kamala Harris' Husband by Gwagone: 12:26pm On Jan 27, 2021
Her Controller
Re: Doug Emhoff: 10 Things To Know About Kamala Harris' Husband by simplesearch: 12:27pm On Jan 27, 2021
first-ever second gentleman...............................

What's the meaning of this paradox, first-ever second?!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Rwanda's President Paul Kagame Approves The Retirement Of 924 Military Officials / Iran Reopens For Business As No End In Sight To Coronavirus Pandemic / Prince Charles Agreed To Take £1million From The Family Osama Bin Laden

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.