Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,012 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:09 AM

How I Was Billed 3.5m At Toyota Place In Lagos Ladipo Area, To Fix My Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How I Was Billed 3.5m At Toyota Place In Lagos Ladipo Area, To Fix My Car (3880 Views)

Which Car Can I Buy For 3.5m / As Seen In Ladipo.. Old Toyota Prado Being Upgraded To 4th Generation Prado / The Other Side Of Ladipo Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Was Billed 3.5m At Toyota Place In Lagos Ladipo Area, To Fix My Car by Realteeyee123(m): 10:44pm On Jan 30, 2021
Quite a lengthy post but it's worth it

I drive a 2012 Toyota Corolla thumbstart, and the car has been giving me lots of issues, the gear lever area always gets hot when I drive the car for less than 20 minutes, the ABS was bad, and as a result the steering was stiff and the brake light was on, plus the ABS light too, the metal and bearing was damaged due to poor servicing over the years, car was bought brand new though, the legs were all bad, and lots of smaller issue.

I took the car to Toyota place and they said I should pay 50k for a diagnostic scan which I did, and less than a week later they called and said to fix the car would cost me 3.5m naira I just quietly parked the car at home, and this month I decided to gather some money and fix it.

You won't believe I spent a total of 180k to fix all the issues.

I gave my mechanic really experienced guy not a kazeem , 100k and he fixed the Gear stuff, legs replaced the metal and bearing, painter also painted the front and back bumpers too, Plugs and coil, etc but the steering was still stiff and the speedometer wasn't working still, he said I needed to change the ABS.

I bought ABS at Ladipo for 50k paid the guy that connected it 5k, paid a scanner guy 5k to scan for all codes both ABS and check engine, and we noticed after fixing the ABS the steering was still stiff and speedometer didn't work, the code was a leg sensor issue bought it and everything came back to life, ABS light went off speedometer worked and steering was very free, but after some time ABS light came back and we scanned again and it said the passenger sensor is also bad, but it doesn't affect the steering and speedometer side it's the driver sensor that controls that, so would buy that this week. In total I spent 180k to put the car back on the road.

The only light showing on the dashboard currently is the ABS light due to the passenger side sensor I'm yet to change and the Airbag light, no codes again. When we scanned, and car drives really well

What I've learnt from all this is all these companies place like Toyota, Honda place, Coscharis, their charges are crazy and expensive, a job of less than 200k they can say 3m so funny

Pls share your experience if you have visited one of this places before and what was it like compared to when you fixed the car with our local mechanic,

13 Likes

Re: How I Was Billed 3.5m At Toyota Place In Lagos Ladipo Area, To Fix My Car by Realteeyee123(m): 10:50pm On Jan 30, 2021
@Gazzuz
@Nurey
@diportivo

Just curious though, from fixing my car I noticed the ABS controls my steering, if the ABS is bad the steering would be stiff, and even when I changed the ABS because my speedometer sensor is bad steering was still stiff as soon as I changed the leg sensor the speedometer started working and steering became free and the dashboard light went off immediately that's the steering light and brake light,

It's a 2012 Toyota Corolla though , it has no steering pump,

Was surprised when I noticed it , it seems they are all connected.

So just incase any body is experiencing any of this on his/her car just know all this sensors and components have to be working � otherwise you would be having issues

Please correct me if I'm wrong it was my observation fixing my car

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Billed 3.5m At Toyota Place In Lagos Ladipo Area, To Fix My Car by chatinent: 10:52pm On Jan 30, 2021
Na wa o

1 Like

Re: How I Was Billed 3.5m At Toyota Place In Lagos Ladipo Area, To Fix My Car by Realteeyee123(m): 10:57pm On Jan 30, 2021
chatinent:
Na wa o

Was Exactly my reaction too , but to be honest though the Toyota diagnostic scan helped because I kind of gave that to my mechanic to help him out, so he knew what he was doing from day 1 no guess work, so work was fast and smooth the only wahala was the ABS I literally spent a whole day at Ladipo fixing it , we had to use 4 different ABS before we got the one that matches my car.

10 Likes

Re: How I Was Billed 3.5m At Toyota Place In Lagos Ladipo Area, To Fix My Car by chatinent: 11:01pm On Jan 30, 2021
Realteeyee123:

Was Exactly my reaction too , but to be honest though the Toyota diagnostic scan helped because I kind of gave that to my mechanic to help him out, so he knew what he was doing from day 1 no guess work, so work was fast and smooth the only wahala was the ABS I literally spent a whole day at Ladipo fixing it , we had to use 4 different ABS before we got the one that matches my car.

Me I want to ask you for credit alerts but it will look like I want to extort you.

Mama Nnenna, biko another garri.
Re: How I Was Billed 3.5m At Toyota Place In Lagos Ladipo Area, To Fix My Car by incogni2o: 11:03pm On Jan 30, 2021
Wao
Re: How I Was Billed 3.5m At Toyota Place In Lagos Ladipo Area, To Fix My Car by Realteeyee123(m): 11:04pm On Jan 30, 2021
chatinent:

Me I want to ask you for credit alerts but it will look like I want to extort you.

Mama Nnenna, biko another garri.

Lol, you na chairman now

1 Like

Re: How I Was Billed 3.5m At Toyota Place In Lagos Ladipo Area, To Fix My Car by chatinent: 11:06pm On Jan 30, 2021
Realteeyee123:

Lol, you na chairman now

Ha, oga you don dey avoid billing o. Actually, I lost my job some months back.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Billed 3.5m At Toyota Place In Lagos Ladipo Area, To Fix My Car by Realteeyee123(m): 11:09pm On Jan 30, 2021
Realteeyee123:

I drive a 2012 Toyota Corolla thumbstart, and the car has been giving me lots of issues, the gear lever area always gets hot when I drive the car for less than 20 minutes, the ABS was bad, and as a result the steering was stiff and the brake light was on, plus the ABS light too, the metal and bearing was damaged due to poor servicing over the years, car was bought brand new though, the legs were all bad, and lots of smaller issue.

I took the car to Toyota place and they said I should pay 50k for a diagnostic scan which I did, and less than a week later they called and said to fix the car would cost me 3.5m naira I just quietly parked the car at home, and this month I decided to gather some money and fix it.

I gave my mechanic really experienced guy not a kazeem , 100k and he fixed the Gear stuff, legs replaced the metal and bearing, painter also painted the front and back bumpers too, Plugs and coil, etc but the steering was still stiff and the speedometer wasn't working still, he said I needed to change the ABS.

I bought ABS at Ladipo for 50k paid the guy that connected it 5k, paid a scanner guy 5k to scan for all codes both ABS and check engine, and we noticed after fixing the ABS the steering was still stiff and speedometer didn't work, the code was a leg sensor issue bought it and everything came back to life, ABS light went off speedometer worked and steering was very free, but after some time ABS light came back and we scanned again and it said the passenger sensor is also bad, but it doesn't affect the steering and speedometer side it's the driver sensor that controls that, so would buy that this week. In total I spent 180k to put the car back on the road.

The only light showing on the dashboard currently is the ABS light due to the passenger side sensor I'm yet to change and the Airbag light, no codes again. When we scanned, and car drives really well

What I've learnt from all this is all these companies place like Toyota, Honda place, Coscharis, their charges are crazy and expensive, a job of less than 200k they can say 3m so funny

Pls share your experience if you have visited one of this places before and what was it like compared to when you fixed the car with our local mechanic,

Would really like to know if anyone has experienced a similar stuff or being charged exorbitantly buy a mechanic and the fixing it for a far cheaper amount , what was the issue with your car and how did you do it, I just feel like I won a lottery, feel like going back to Toyota Place and telling them that I've done it Lol ������, I really doged a bullet

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Billed 3.5m At Toyota Place In Lagos Ladipo Area, To Fix My Car by Realteeyee123(m): 11:11pm On Jan 30, 2021
incogni2o:
Wao

Yh same reaction I had too
Re: How I Was Billed 3.5m At Toyota Place In Lagos Ladipo Area, To Fix My Car by id4sho(m): 11:22pm On Jan 30, 2021
3.5m for sharp 09 corolla , local man don't give up.

Well dad's Peugeot 407 09 rear bumper was charged @400k yr2013. Panel beater fixed it 3k

3 Likes

Re: How I Was Billed 3.5m At Toyota Place In Lagos Ladipo Area, To Fix My Car by Nobody: 11:22pm On Jan 30, 2021
Realteeyee123:

You said your mechanic is "not a kazeem" so I want to believe you value skills and experience, so how much do you think he made from the job despite his experience and hardwork, probably less than 20k right? They can't charge you that at Toyota place obviously.

We don't want to pay high for services but we want the best, that's why there are less people involved in vocational training. Either ways, next time, go to where their services would be commensurate with your income.

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Billed 3.5m At Toyota Place In Lagos Ladipo Area, To Fix My Car by anthonyuncle(m): 11:25pm On Jan 30, 2021
truth is, the service center of these companies don't repair parts, they change them.
they have to import these parts direct from the company's manufacturing factory. the cost will involve cost of the original part plus cost of its importation plus profit.

my issue with this your case is that you can use that amount they charged you (₦3.5m) to get clean toks of that same model, and they know this.

9 Likes

Re: How I Was Billed 3.5m At Toyota Place In Lagos Ladipo Area, To Fix My Car by Realteeyee123(m): 11:25pm On Jan 30, 2021
id4sho:

Well dad's Peugeot 407 09 rear bumper was charged @400k yr2013. Panel beater fixed it 3k

I taught my case was bad this beats that 400k against 3k Wow, used to think this guys were merciful not until I tried them , their charges are just mind blowing

1 Like

Re: How I Was Billed 3.5m At Toyota Place In Lagos Ladipo Area, To Fix My Car by Realteeyee123(m): 11:28pm On Jan 30, 2021
xProfx:

3.5m is an awful lot of money, but you must know that these folks will go the extra mile to fix your car and they use 100% brand new original parts from Toyota which would cost more than what you would get at Ladipo, even if you don't see the difference. Toyota Place makes its money from government auto sales and services... So middle class income isn't their target.

Also, you said your mechanic is "not a kazeem" so I want to believe you value skills and experience, so how much do you think he made from the job despite his experience and hardwork, probably less than 20k right? They can't charge you that at Toyota place obviously.

We don't want to pay high for services but we want the best, that's why there are less people involved in vocational training. Either ways, next time, go to where their services would be commensurate with your income.

You right though but I think the Guy made like 25 - 30k cause I bought the ABS and everything associatied with it myself.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Billed 3.5m At Toyota Place In Lagos Ladipo Area, To Fix My Car by Realteeyee123(m): 11:29pm On Jan 30, 2021
anthonyuncle:
truth is, the service center of these companies don't repair parts, they change them.
they have to import these parts direct from the company's manufacturing factory. the cost will involve cost of the original part plus cost of its importation plus profit.

my issue with this your case is that you can use that amount they charged you (₦3.5m) to get clean toks of that same model, and they know this.

Exactly, they know it, i used to think they get their parts from Ladipo too Lol someone told me that a big time importer in Ladipo supplies then some parts atimes, don't know how true that is though
Re: How I Was Billed 3.5m At Toyota Place In Lagos Ladipo Area, To Fix My Car by Ever8090: 12:01am On Jan 31, 2021
Over to people that have cars..
Re: How I Was Billed 3.5m At Toyota Place In Lagos Ladipo Area, To Fix My Car by xperiencelove(m): 1:52am On Jan 31, 2021
Changing oil and oil filter of Ford Explorer 2015 at Coscharis cost 196k. Changing the steering rack and general servicing of the same car at the same place cost 760k. The car was bought brand new from the same place.

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Billed 3.5m At Toyota Place In Lagos Ladipo Area, To Fix My Car by Kelvin30286063(m): 4:43am On Jan 31, 2021
Realteeyee123:

I drive a 2012 Toyota Corolla thumbstart, and the car has been giving me lots of issues, the gear lever area always gets hot when I drive the car for less than 20 minutes...

The price they gave you is outrageous and would have bought another car but hope you know that official car auto shops don't use tokunbo parts and they order parts directly from company. There was a time I went to acura.com to select some parts and accessories for my car. I only made a few selections and before I know it, I already have $7000 (3.1m plus shipping cost) in my wallet invoice. Mo yaa japa grin
The reason we can afford to buy this parts is cause of people at Ladipo and we should appreciate them a little more. Especially the ones that sell good parts.
I recently watched a YouTube video of a car restoration done by a white guy, when he was done, he did a calculation of how much he spent and it was above $14,000 (6.3m). Guess what, the car was a Toyota Corolla 2014.
I'm not saying the qoute you were give was not high as a Nigerian but you should know that this people don't calculate in naira and they don't buy from Ladipo contrary to what someone said up there. They buy directly from company. If you had paid that 3.5m, they will give you a date to come in and you'll see all the parts right inside package from the company directly.

8 Likes

Re: How I Was Billed 3.5m At Toyota Place In Lagos Ladipo Area, To Fix My Car by kayswag100(m): 8:04am On Jan 31, 2021
Back in 2006, my aunt whom I stayed with had a brand new Corolla of same year bought from Elim Motors.

Time for servicing and when we took the car to Elim motors service center, service charges were in the excess of 20k (mind you, this was in 2006)

Negotiated with one of their mechanics and he came to the house at a later date to do same servicing for less than 5k.

That mechanic took risks Sha because if anything had gone wrong, guess where we would have gone to report to... wink

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Billed 3.5m At Toyota Place In Lagos Ladipo Area, To Fix My Car by Bluehill1051: 8:42am On Jan 31, 2021
@Realteeyee123 kindly consider the 3.5 million as 350K. The last zero was a mistake. They meant 350,000 not 3500000. People make mistakes nah
Re: How I Was Billed 3.5m At Toyota Place In Lagos Ladipo Area, To Fix My Car by Realteeyee123(m): 9:12am On Jan 31, 2021
Bluehill1051:
@Realteeyee123 kindly consider the 3.5 million as 350K. The last zero was a mistake. They meant 350,000 not 3500000. People make mistakes nah

Lol you might be right though, I think it was a mistake
Re: How I Was Billed 3.5m At Toyota Place In Lagos Ladipo Area, To Fix My Car by Realteeyee123(m): 9:12am On Jan 31, 2021
kayswag100:
Back in 2006, my aunt whom I stayed with had a brand new Corolla of same year bought from Elim Motors.

Time for servicing and when we took the car to Elim motors service center, service charges were in the excess of 20k (mind you, this was in 2006)

Negotiated with one of their mechanics and he came to the house at a later date to do same servicing for less than 5k.

That mechanic took risks Sha because if anything had gone wrong, guess where we would have gone to report to... wink

Wow, I taught of doing that too, I wanted to collect one of the Engineer's number there and let him come and do it for me, but I just decided to stick with my own mechanic

7 Likes

Re: How I Was Billed 3.5m At Toyota Place In Lagos Ladipo Area, To Fix My Car by Realteeyee123(m): 9:13am On Jan 31, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

The price they gave you is outrageous and would have bought another car but hope you know that official car auto shops don't use tokunbo parts and they order parts directly from company. There was a time I went to acura.com to select some parts and accessories for my car. I only made a few selections and before I know it, I already have $7000 (3.1m plus shipping cost) in my wallet invoice. Mo yaa japa grin
The reason we can afford to buy this parts is cause of people at Ladipo and we should appreciate them a little more. Especially the ones that sell good parts.
I recently watched a YouTube video of a car restoration done by a white guy, when he was done, he did a calculation of how much he spent and it was above $14,000 (6.3m). Guess what, the car was a Toyota Corolla 2014.
I'm not saying the qoute you were give was not high as a Nigerian but you should know that this people don't calculate in naira and they don't buy from Ladipo contrary to what someone said up there. They buy directly from company. If you had paid that 3.5m, they will give you a date to come in and you'll see all the parts right inside package from the company directly.

Wow, so without the Ladipo guys we all we would really be suffering ooo

5 Likes

Re: How I Was Billed 3.5m At Toyota Place In Lagos Ladipo Area, To Fix My Car by Daviestunech(m): 9:40am On Jan 31, 2021
grin

I message one to to to help me fix my AC....he said for diagnosis I will 15k.... before he could know wetin to fix...I just jejely ignore him....Nd fix the same ac for 8k

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Billed 3.5m At Toyota Place In Lagos Ladipo Area, To Fix My Car by uboma(m): 9:47am On Jan 31, 2021
id4sho:

LoL

400k will even buy both bumpers with so much balance remaining.
Re: How I Was Billed 3.5m At Toyota Place In Lagos Ladipo Area, To Fix My Car by Realteeyee123(m): 10:03am On Jan 31, 2021
uboma:

LoL

400k will even buy both bumpers with so much balance remaining.

Lol I'm telling you
Re: How I Was Billed 3.5m At Toyota Place In Lagos Ladipo Area, To Fix My Car by Realteeyee123(m): 10:04am On Jan 31, 2021
Daviestunech:
grin

I message one to to to help me fix my AC....he said for diagnosis I will 15k.... before he could know wetin to fix...I just jejely ignore him....Nd fix the same ac for 8k

Wow just diagnosis 15k e never even start work ooo it means to fix it would cost like 30k ooo

1 Like

Re: How I Was Billed 3.5m At Toyota Place In Lagos Ladipo Area, To Fix My Car by 400billionman: 10:20am On Jan 31, 2021

6 Likes

Re: How I Was Billed 3.5m At Toyota Place In Lagos Ladipo Area, To Fix My Car by Realteeyee123(m): 10:26am On Jan 31, 2021
400billionman:

I just came to car talk because I want to buy another car. The last car I was using, my mechanic was busy extorting me like the Toyota guys you mentioned.

My car had exactly all the issues that you mentioned above.

To my greatest surprise, the mechanic said I needed a new engine. I was like wow, a car that starts and moves, it doesn't smoke, it still drops liquid from its exhaust due to my maintenance routine.

Just that the steering is stiff, the speedometer stopped reading and the day it stopped reading, I left your shop that day and noticed it. Then it doesn't accelerate fast, which he attributed to gear failure. He referred me to one gear guy and both of them kept extorting me endlessly, since I disagreed with giving him money for new engine. Everyday, they will tell me it's a new fault.

Oga, after I sold my car, the buyer told me the car needed a new radiator. I now remembered that the first time this car had such issues, there was a radiator overheat on the expressway that day and evaporation. So I just replaced coolant with water and sped off.

So I came to car talk so that I can start diagnosing my car by myself. I don't mind buying the diagnostic tool. I can't be feeding others under this buhary era for lack of knowledge.

Exactly ooo, that's the spirit, if not for youtube and constant reading online and car talk about my car they would have finished me, the Ladipo guy's would have finished me, It was when I read online I learnt that the ABS controls the steering and lots of other things not just the brake system, otherwise they were even telling me to change my steering rack Lol

6 Likes

Re: How I Was Billed 3.5m At Toyota Place In Lagos Ladipo Area, To Fix My Car by Adewaleautocare(m): 11:20am On Jan 31, 2021
Welcome to ADEWALE AUTO CARE AND DIAGNOSIS CENTER! Expert in Hybrid cars & automobile electrical, programming, calibration and diagnostics....We Handle Your Vehicle In Tune With Manufacturers Specifications........
Thank you for contacting Adewale Auto Care And Diagnosis Center! Please let us know how we can help you. Contact :-08028016063

https://www.facebook.com/Adewaleautocare/?referrer=whatsapp
Re: How I Was Billed 3.5m At Toyota Place In Lagos Ladipo Area, To Fix My Car by 400billionman: 12:26pm On Jan 31, 2021
I think there is a scam by mechanics who get too familiar with you. Don't get too familiar with one mechanic. I was using one for 12 years. Now I am going to have 3 mechanics and one electrician.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Any Experience With 2003-2007 Nissan Murano / Kia Motors: The New Kia Soul 2010 Model! / The 10 Most Reliable Car Brands

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.