Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,201 members, 7,811,532 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:58 PM

The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad (39333 Views)

Nigerian Girl In Russia Talks About Life In Russia, Racism And What Life Is Like / Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad / My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by lemon10(m): 3:39pm On Jan 31, 2021
Please Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad

It's not all bed of roses studying overseas for Africans, especially Nigerians. We face different forms of racism in one way or the other. Nigerian students studying overseas lets please feel free to share the various forms of racism we have faced.

I am based in China and on so many occasions, some Chinese would rather prefer to stand than to sit next to an African on a public bus. The most annoying thing is that they worship Europeans and Americans.

87 Likes 10 Shares

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Shormiey(m): 3:52pm On Jan 31, 2021
I'm only here to read people's view on racism....

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Eminimore: 4:06pm On Jan 31, 2021
I have absolutely nothing to say, maybe next person to comment will say something you(op) will like to hear.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by GallantDuke(m): 4:30pm On Jan 31, 2021
Let me travel first, then I will comment.
To be candid, I won't feel bad if a foolish white man or woman refuses to sit beside me on the train. At least I will have the space to balance well on the train.

281 Likes 11 Shares

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Nicoswit(m): 5:51pm On Jan 31, 2021
lemon10 are you a student in china?

1 Like

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by chukxie(m): 7:23pm On Jan 31, 2021
lemon10:
It's not all bed of roses studying overseas for Africans, especially Nigerians. We face different forms of racism in one way or the other. Nigerian students studying overseas lets please feel free to share the various forms of racism we have faced.

I am based in China and on so many occasions, some Chinese would rather prefer to stand than to sit next to an African on a public bus. The most annoying thing is that they worship Europeans and Americans.

On the metro, too! Covid has exacerbated the ugly trend you mentioned. These days some Chinese folks would quickly put on their masks on sighting a foreigner especially a black one. Thing is racism (covert or subtle) exists in every country; growing a tough skin and feigning indifference are two ways of managing racism.

129 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Drella(m): 9:09pm On Jan 31, 2021
lemon10:

We need a lot of contributions on this topic as it will be very educating.

Let's call Mynd44 lalasticlala to help move to front page.

4 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Beastus(m): 10:58pm On Jan 31, 2021
Wait
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by nelsonebby(m): 11:18pm On Jan 31, 2021
Yeah chinese do worship white people a lot. Especially the Chinese women.

The European guys are well known to prey on high school girls. Funny thing is the Chinese men know this. But they look away or do absolutely nothing about it.

104 Likes 9 Shares

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by shege45: 1:36am On Feb 01, 2021
I have never experienced Racism where I am

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Lexusgs430: 3:01am On Feb 01, 2021
lemon10:

Just stretch, enjoy the extra space......... cheesy

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by michlins(m): 3:21am On Feb 01, 2021
lemon10:

ok

79 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Sannisege: 5:03am On Feb 01, 2021
lemon10:

its funny that even those smelly Indians do same here in Canada. They are reluctant to sit beside blacks on the bus. But I understand that their own is due to inferiority complex...

256 Likes 25 Shares

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by MacMkboy(m): 7:30am On Feb 01, 2021
My experience of racism was gotten in Anambra by Anambra people

67 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Binance(m): 8:02am On Feb 01, 2021
MacMkboy:
My experience of racism was gotten in Anambra by Anambra people
Take your tribalism to politics section...since you no wan get sense. bst

180 Likes 12 Shares

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by imolile: 10:21am On Feb 01, 2021
hmm
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by lionness(f): 10:21am On Feb 01, 2021
Not sure this counts as racism sha...
At the airport in Dubai, I waited until everyone was out so I can move from the my economy section to the business class so I can snap pix to oppress my friends at home. While traveling to Boudreaux in France, I’ve seen some Nigerians do it, na so this angry Indian host attack: “you Nigerians always sneaking to Business class to take pictures. You lot are fake.”
I was so ashamed I couldn’t take the picture and waka quietly commot. But as in, does it matter so far I board plane.

Second racism, me and my boy and two of my cousins are leaving a shopping mall and headed for the Knottingly train station make we enter one owambe for Leeds, na so this white grandma wey approach us just stop and take race. If you see as the grandma run as of say we wan rob am. I just watch am zoom and my head wan scatter.

The third na for Dubai—as in Arabs or Indians, I nor sabi this man tribe, but those people hate us nor be small. Na for the Duty Free section I wan pack cheap chocolate wey I go share for family members at home, and I carry my bag, you won’t believe it, this Arab or Indian man just dey follow me bumper to bumper—and on his face was the expression: “you thief, get out of here or I will disgrace you.” Every other tribes were there buying, but this guy, na me wey be Nigerian e dey follow up and down. Anyways, the bastard smile after I pulled out the $1200 wey dey my pocket and try do the addition from AED to dollar. I just tire, sometimes e nor good to be Nigerian

The last one na for Shivaji for Mumbai in India. One Indian werey called Kalol wants my business to come and inspect his special milling machine. Na so I wan take explore India small. See, they way they searched me in that place after almost shredding my bags, I fear. After I was cleared, someone came out of a room and said they should stop the “kali.” Na me be kali which means a special name for blacks. My Nigerian passport was a big red flag and they asked me to remove my jacket again and searched me. As in, the man was confused that I wasn’t carrying drugs. He really couldn’t believe it and the thing choke am die. He later asked me why I was coming and personally called the Kalol guy who only sent me a taxi to pick me up. I am never ever going to India for anything in my life...those people get special hate and racism for us

222 Likes 17 Shares

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by GreaterFuture3: 10:21am On Feb 01, 2021
There is Nothing the White man or any other Foreigner Can and will do to me that my Own "Brothers" have not done to me, Absolutely Nothing.

Anyways I have 15, 5 and 10, 20 Tonnes Full cover Body Trucks for Haulage and Logistics Works.

161 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Nobody: 10:21am On Feb 01, 2021
In my opinion, tribalism is worse.

69 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Nobody: 10:21am On Feb 01, 2021
It's the subtle racism that's worse. Right there in the UK. Someone will cross to the other side of the road when they see you coming, others refuse to sit beside you on the train or bus (and it had nothing to do with social distancing). Some they flat out refuse to stand in the queue next to you at the ATM or mall.
No one came screaming "nigger" into my face but them Brits have their "polite" form of racism

133 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Nobody: 10:22am On Feb 01, 2021
Here on nairaland, oponus keep bashing themselves over which tribe is worse and which one is better.
Just imagine if this oponus were whites, I wonder how they'll treat blacks.

97 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by lekki1444: 10:22am On Feb 01, 2021
shocked
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Calibrator: 10:22am On Feb 01, 2021
Nigerians should honestly be the last set of people to complain about racism.

Hypocrisy is when a country plagued by internal tribalism amongst fellow countrymen gets offended by external racism perpetuated by outsiders.

Charity begins at home.

Before you come for my head, check out the comments on any front page crime section thread.

Tribalism is worse than Racism!

190 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Bvlgari: 10:22am On Feb 01, 2021
enough stories

1 Like

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Phygo(m): 10:22am On Feb 01, 2021
S
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Elvis2kay: 10:22am On Feb 01, 2021
shocked
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by ovieni(m): 10:22am On Feb 01, 2021
going through this thread some people are making
accusations of racism without any tangible proofs.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Factfinder1(m): 10:22am On Feb 01, 2021
Here in Nigeria and Africa blacks hates and discriminate themselves especially in church, tribe, religious gatherings and by ethnicity. Let's tackle that before we tackle racism from other race

37 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by NaijaCover(m): 10:22am On Feb 01, 2021
I want to travel to canada country, How will someone like , get started
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Nobody: 10:22am On Feb 01, 2021
Reason i'm reconsidering the idea.

I hate being treated like a second class citizen.

I'm a proud son of my mother.

14 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Lagos To Abuja Flight Cost - Arik Air / Immigrants Exit Canada On Poor Housing, Healthcare, Job Prospects / Dead Body Found In Ibadan At The Same Spot 24 Hours After An Accident (Graphic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.