Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,069 members, 7,818,188 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:50 AM

Your Experience Moving Back To Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Your Experience Moving Back To Nigeria (2310 Views)

Moving Back To Nigeria: What Can One Do For A Living? / Moving Back To Nigeria After The Lockdown / Moving Back To Nigeria From USA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Experience Moving Back To Nigeria by Chuky7(m): 6:14pm On Feb 02, 2021
Whats it been like. what new changes did u experience. what challenges too.

1 Like

Re: Your Experience Moving Back To Nigeria by EnvelopeUs(f): 6:20pm On Feb 02, 2021
I'm here to learn
Re: Your Experience Moving Back To Nigeria by Nobody: 6:21pm On Feb 02, 2021
I never even travel
Re: Your Experience Moving Back To Nigeria by Chuky7(m): 11:14pm On Feb 02, 2021
lalasticlala
Re: Your Experience Moving Back To Nigeria by Nobody: 11:26pm On Feb 02, 2021
Moved back then a few years later Buhari happened and I ran back.

5 Likes

Re: Your Experience Moving Back To Nigeria by Karleb(m): 8:40am On Feb 03, 2021
Karlovic:

Ladies and gentlemen, this right here is wisdom.

Pure, undiluted wisdom.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Experience Moving Back To Nigeria by Nobody: 9:15am On Feb 03, 2021
Not move per se, but I've been in Nigeria now for one month, and I'm enjoying every part of it. It has everything to do with mindset. If you see the cup half full or half empty. Before coming, I identified the major issue that will make my life easy and tackled them from the start.

For me it was power, logistics, and western-like comfort. Also, I'll try not to move around often unless necessary, to avoid traffic frustrations and bad road bumping. In these regards, getting a car, an AC in my whole apartment, house renovation and inverter was my goal. To have 100% uninterrupted power, and not being dealt with by the hot sun. My food stuff I buy either through jumia or send someone, and my office is in one of the bedrooms in my apartment.

I'm still working on all these, but these are the things one needs to do to make Nigeria less frustrating. I have an online business, so I don't really have to go anywhere. With a western income in a country like Nigeria, you'll enjoy yourself everyday. But make sure you have the ability to go back if needed, for stuff like medical care and much more.

Right now, I see Nigeria like a holiday resort, I enjoy everyday of it. Like I said earlier, its about if you see the glass half full, or half empty, a lot have to do with your mindset. If you're the type that expect perfection in everything and complains a lot, then Nigeria is not for you, because you'll be frustrated every single seconds. Particularly, I enjoy the food, and that everyone looks like me. Unless I intentionally speak with a foreign accent, no one knows I'm from anywhere, and I like that invisibility.

Also, do not forget that Nigeria contains about 36 states. You don't have to live in Lagos, Abuja or port Harcourt to enjoy Nigeria, I'm in Enugu now and this city is not only peaceful, but ridiculously cheap to live in. My uncle rent a duplex in trans ekulu area for about 500k per year, that's about 1000 us dollars. For reference, I pay 1.100 USD monthly for a flat in Amsterdam, so you see, the difference?

To summarise, just have an income from abroad, get a car for mobility, a good house in a safe area, renovate your house to western standards, outsource unnecessary things such as laundry and food stockings, and enjoy your life. Everyday will feel like holiday in Nigeria with this formula. Naija sweet.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Your Experience Moving Back To Nigeria by Rick9(m): 10:03am On Feb 03, 2021
roteblomen:
Not move per se, but I've been in Nigeria now for one month, and I'm enjoying every part of it. It has everything to do with mindset. If you see the cup half full or half empty. Before coming, I identified the major issue that will make my life easy and tackled them from the start.

For me it was power, logistics, and western-like comfort. Also, I'll try not to move around often unless necessary, to avoid traffic frustrations and bad road bumping. In these regards, getting a car, an AC in my whole apartment, house renovation and inverter was my goal. To have 100% uninterrupted power, and not being dealt with by the hot sun. My food stuff I buy either through jumia or send someone, and my office is in one of the bedrooms in my apartment.

I'm still working on all these, but these are the things one needs to do to make Nigeria less frustrating. I have an online business, so I don't really have to go anywhere. With a western income in a country like Nigeria, you'll enjoy yourself everyday. But make sure you have the ability to go back if needed, for stuff like medical care and much more.

Right now, I see Nigeria like a holiday resort, I enjoy everyday of it. Like I said earlier, its about if you see the glass half full, or half empty, a lot have to do with your mindset. If you're the type that expect perfection in everything and complains a lot, then Nigeria is not for you, because you'll be frustrated every single seconds. Particularly, I enjoy the food, and that everyone looks like me. Unless I intentionally speak with a foreign accent, no one knows I'm from anywhere, and I like that invisibility.

Also, do not forget that Nigeria contains about 36 states. You don't have to live in Lagos, Abuja or port Harcourt to enjoy Nigeria, I'm in Enugu now and this city is not only peaceful, but ridiculously cheap to live in. My uncle rent a duplex in trans ekulu area for about 500k per year, that's about 1000 us dollars. For reference, I pay 1.100 USD monthly for a flat in Amsterdam, so you see, the difference?

To summarise, just have an income from abroad, get a car for mobility, a good house in a safe area, renovate your house to western standards, outsource unnecessary things such as laundry and food stockings, and enjoy your life. Everyday will feel like holiday in Nigeria with this formula. Naija sweet.

thats great. the summary of this.
just have money.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Experience Moving Back To Nigeria by Historicalee: 3:38pm On Feb 03, 2021
roteblomen:

This is an interesting read. You spoke my mind. How can i contact you?

1 Like

Re: Your Experience Moving Back To Nigeria by Nobody: 4:24pm On Feb 03, 2021
Historicalee:

This is an interesting read. You spoke my mind. How can i contact you?

My email is now on my profile.

1 Like

Re: Your Experience Moving Back To Nigeria by BigBashiru: 3:54am On Feb 04, 2021
roteblomen:

Just pray you do not have a serious medical emergency - they will pass you from one hospital to another as condition worsens.... also from your post, you seem single - Nigeria can be great for a single person - a family complicates things as you now also have to watch out for your family including their medical care....

Also foreign income can dry up fast....

finally the major issue with nigeria is that its inhabitants are a wicked set of people and the average nigerian is not a good person - this factor alone over time will ruin your experience.....

But I agree your plan is a nice concept....

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Your Experience Moving Back To Nigeria by NiklauseFred(m): 7:07am On Feb 04, 2021
Karleb:

Ladies and gentlemen, this right here is wisdom.

Pure, undiluted wisdom.

Hahahah Wisdom don finish am cheesy
Re: Your Experience Moving Back To Nigeria by NiklauseFred(m): 7:23am On Feb 04, 2021
Rick9:

thats great. the summary of this.
just have money.

Wisdom go finish you cheesy

Have money joor

1 Like

Re: Your Experience Moving Back To Nigeria by Nobody: 8:21am On Feb 04, 2021
BigBashiru:

Just pray you do not have a serious medical emergency - they will pass you from one hospital to another as condition worsens.... also from your post, you seem single - Nigeria can be great for a single person - a family complicates things as you now also have to watch out for your family including their medical care....

finally the major issue with nigeria is that its inhabitants are a wicked set of people and the average nigerian is not a good person - this factor alone over time will ruin your experience.....

I pray so. That sickness shouldn't be an issue, but in this situation, here comes the concept of emergency funds. So if you have to buy a flight tonight and leave, then that shouldn't be an issue. It's all about preparation.

About Nigerian being wicked, well, I can also say that the Germans, Ghanaians, Albanians (or insert any country) are wicked, and l will be correct. There will always be wicked folks in every population, it's left for one to avoid weak people (being wicked is a symptom of weakness), help them if you can and move on.

All in all, I choose to see the brighter sides, hang out with families and focus on my business.

11 Likes

Re: Your Experience Moving Back To Nigeria by BigBashiru: 8:32am On Feb 04, 2021
roteblomen:

I pray so. That sickness shouldn't be an issue, but in this situation, here comes the concept of emergency funds. So if you have to buy a flight tonight and leave, then that shouldn't be an issue. It's all about preparation.

About Nigerian being wicked, well, I can also say that the Germans, Ghanaians, Albanians (or insert any country) are wicked, and l will be correct. There will always be wicked folks in every population, it's left for one to avoid weak people (being wicked is a symptom of weakness), help them if you can and move on.

All in all, I choose to see the brighter sides, hang out with families and focus on my business.
Lots die before they can get to Europe.... covid is an example - even top government folks couldn't fly out....
Re: Your Experience Moving Back To Nigeria by Rules7: 8:42am On Feb 04, 2021
roteblomen:

Sent you a message.
Re: Your Experience Moving Back To Nigeria by nickvanilla(m): 8:50am On Feb 04, 2021
roteblomen:

Nice. How would you describe Amsterdam? Is it a place one could aspire to go study, graduate and get a job? How about the language? Was it hard to learn?
Re: Your Experience Moving Back To Nigeria by doxijaw: 10:56am On Feb 04, 2021
roteblomen:

Bro i envy your lifestyle oh. You're were im planning to be.

Currently abroad, making plans to relocate.

Life is what you make of it, Nigeria can be enjoyable as much as the west as long as you've put things in place.

1 Like

Re: Your Experience Moving Back To Nigeria by BigBashiru: 1:41pm On Feb 04, 2021
roteblomen:

Though I'm from the North I have a friend or two in Enugu and they say the good parts of Enugu like independence layout are just as expensive as Lagos and sometimes more expensive....

Nigeria has all round summer and this is something those going to Canada/ Europe dont understand....

Also low cost pressure - rent is low compared to Europe....

I'm sure u are also glued to da naija babes too grin
Re: Your Experience Moving Back To Nigeria by tonididdy(m): 5:14pm On Feb 04, 2021
cool
Re: Your Experience Moving Back To Nigeria by dasparrow: 6:41pm On Feb 04, 2021
Karlovic:

Same happened to me. I have family members and acquaintances who moved back during GEJ's administration. Then Buhari came into power and we all left Nigeria again back to overseas. Oh well.

3 Likes

Re: Your Experience Moving Back To Nigeria by EgunMogaji2: 8:21pm On Feb 04, 2021
Chuky7:
Whats it been like. what new changes did u experience. what challenges too.

Mines an old story on here and not unique, many have gone before me successfully.

I moved back home after 33 years in the USA. It’s going on 3 years now. The only regret I have is not making the move sooner. I thank God every day when I wake up that I’m in Nigeria at this time in my life.

I didn’t experience much change because my move wasn’t sporadic but carefully orchestrated.

Challenges? Many. It wouldn’t be Nigeria if no challenge. But they’re all easily sorted, Allhamdulahi.

https://www.nairaland.com/5577396/yankee-naija-thoughts-experiences

3 Likes

Re: Your Experience Moving Back To Nigeria by Mickolad(m): 10:59pm On Feb 04, 2021
In all summary Nigeria is a lovely zone if one has money otherwise move to Europe, make money then come back and have a good life.

2 Likes

Re: Your Experience Moving Back To Nigeria by Nobody: 10:07am On Feb 05, 2021
BigBashiru:

Though I'm from the North I have a friend or two in Enugu and they say the good parts of Enugu like independence layout are just as expensive as Lagos and sometimes more expensive....

Nigeria has all round summer and this is something those going to Canada/ Europe dont understand....

Also low cost pressure - rent is low compared to Europe....

I'm sure u are also glued to da Naija babes too grin

Oga if you look well well, you go see your price range even for area like independent layout. Enugu is underpopulated, and things are just way too cheap. Sometimes I get shocked when the bills arrives during night-out at local bars, and I wonder how these folks makes a profit.

Yes, Naija is all-round summer. I share some stories on my Instagram and my western friends are kinda jealous, how they are locked up in curfew and I'm just here chilling freely. Naija sweet. cool

About the babes, well, women no de shark me like that. I just appreciate their beauty from afar. Na money I de find. But yes, girls here are awesome. I see so many yellow girls here, seems like the eastern part of Nigeria have them in surplus.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Your Experience Moving Back To Nigeria by Nobody: 10:13am On Feb 05, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Mines an old story on here and not unique, many have gone before me successfully.

I moved back home after 33 years in the USA. It’s going on 3 years now. The only regret I have is not making the move sooner. I thank God every day when I wake up that I’m in Nigeria at this time in my life.

I didn’t experience much change because my move wasn’t sporadic but carefully orchestrated.

Challenges? Many. It wouldn’t be Nigeria if no challenge. But they’re all easily sorted, Allhamdulahi.

https://www.nairaland.com/5577396/yankee-naija-thoughts-experiences

I read your thread. It was a nice read. Enjoy motherland. I particularly love the advice you gave about setting a goal, retire early after achieving them and live your life to the fullest. And that's exactly what I did.

All the best.

1 Like

Re: Your Experience Moving Back To Nigeria by Rules7: 11:21am On Feb 05, 2021
roteblomen:

I read your thread. It was a nice read. Enjoy motherland. I particularly love the advice you gave about setting a goal, retire early after achieving them and live your life to the fullest. And that's exactly what I did.

All the best.

sent u a message.
Re: Your Experience Moving Back To Nigeria by Nobody: 11:43am On Feb 05, 2021
BigBashiru:

Baba has answered you on this line i guess --

With a western income in a country like Nigeria, you'll enjoy yourself everyday. But make sure you have the ability to go back if needed, for stuff like medical care and much more.

2 Likes

Re: Your Experience Moving Back To Nigeria by seunny4lif(m): 1:58pm On Feb 05, 2021
You get good health care where you are in Holland and the rich Nigerians run to Holland for good healthcare.
Just pray, you are not sick in Nigeria then you know your money can’t save you in Nigeria
roteblomen:

1 Like

Re: Your Experience Moving Back To Nigeria by Nobody: 2:55pm On Feb 05, 2021
seunny4lif:
You get good health care where you are in Holland and the rich Nigerians run to Holland for good healthcare.
Just pray, you are not sick in Nigeria then you know your money can’t save you in Nigeria

Bro, see the brighter side. If I keep thinking of these problems, I won't move back home. I can only do my best as human, and hope God does the rest. Over 200 million Nigerians are living in Nigeria, and most are not dying off due to sickness. I doubt I'll be among the unfortunate insignificant statistic of folks that couldn't be medically saved, I hope not.

Best regards.

5 Likes

Re: Your Experience Moving Back To Nigeria by Reeses: 6:32pm On Feb 05, 2021
I haven't but hoping to move back a year after Mr. Spirit/calamity in Aso rock is done and dusted.
Re: Your Experience Moving Back To Nigeria by BigBashiru: 12:52pm On Feb 07, 2021
Reeses:
I haven't but hoping to move back a year after Mr. Spirit/calamity in Aso rock is done and dusted.

The problem of Nigeria is the Nigerian people and not any person in Aso rock.

3 Likes

Re: Your Experience Moving Back To Nigeria by Originalsly: 4:12pm On Feb 07, 2021
seunny4lif:

Did Larry King get sick in Nigeria?.... did his money save him? ... does everyone that get sick in Nigeria die?.... even those without money? .... how about those people getting sick in Europe and the USA with COVID-19.... don't they have money and are dying? Shouldn't it be Just pray, you are not sick in Europe then you know your money can't save you? Negativity too much.

The biggest problem I will have in moving back is the people..... bad belle people wayyyyy too many.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Need Urgent Advice On Indefinite Leave To Remain In The Uk. / Which Way Nigeria / How Much Advisable To Hold As BTA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.