Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,634 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:18 PM

Countdown To The Rapture? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Countdown To The Rapture? (6903 Views)

2014 Rapture Signs To Watch For / Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. / I Dream Of The Rapture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Countdown To The Rapture? by thehomer: 7:24pm On Apr 06, 2011
From the site that started this iteration.

We are living at a time when mankind seems to sense that the end of all things is very near. Just about everyone has a theory as to how the world is threatened and when that end might come. The media and the Internet are full of doomsday speculations concerning the New Age "Mayan Calendar" and the year 2012. Some scientists predict that Global Warming could wipe out life on Planet Earth within a certain number of years. At the same time, politicians work to halt the proliferation of life-destroying nuclear weapons before it is "too late." High profile news reports of economic downturns, crime, wars, tsunamis, earthquakes, and disease outbreaks cause people to question whether God is bringing judgment on the world.

These ideas cause people to fear greatly. Some realize that God knows how and when the end of the world will come, so they wonder if He tells us. Rather than turning to the Bible as the source of all truth for these answers, they turn to the churches and religious leaders. They may be told that the end will not come until Antichrist rises as a political leader who will make them take the "mark of the beast." Many are told that God will rapture His people before a 7 year Great Tribulation after which Christ will set up a 1000 year reign from an earthly throne in Jerusalem. Others are told that Christ will come to rapture believers the same day he destroys the world. While just about every church has a different idea as to what the Bible teaches concerning the end, they all seem to agree on one thing; no man can know the day or the hour of Christ's return because the scriptures say that He is coming as a thief in the night. But are they correct? Can We Know?

This web site serves as an introduction and portal to four faithful ministries which are teaching that WE CAN KNOW from the Bible alone that the date of the rapture of believers will take place on May 21, 2011 and that God will destroy this world on October 21, 2011. Please take your time and browse through the teachings of Harold Camping, President of Family Radio. Visit EBible Fellowship, Bible Ministries International, and The-Latter-Rain to read and listen to many faithful teachers give scriptural insight on the doctrines that God is teaching His people. Learn about the Biblical Timeline of History, the correct method of Bible interpretation, the End of the Church Age and God's command to believers that they must depart out of the churches. Study the proofs that God has so graciously given in His Word showing us that these dates are 100% accurate and beyond dispute. Above all, please READ THE BIBLE and prayerfully ask God to open your spiritual eyes to these truths. May it please Him to have mercy on each of our souls.

Source: http://www.wecanknow.com/
Re: Countdown To The Rapture? by thehomer: 7:26pm On Apr 06, 2011
According to calculations, we now have 45 days to know whether the rapture occurs. This is a prophesy that can easily be confirmed or denied in our lifetimes (I hope). So, we're going to keep watch and see how long it takes for these people to deny their prophesy and replace it with something else. Plus a look at how they actually do this.

We're counting.
Re: Countdown To The Rapture? by Nobody: 8:18pm On Apr 06, 2011
Presents an interesting pattern in history; remember the Prophecies of the 3 witches in Shakespeare's Play Macbeth. the fates will reveal a future that can be interpreted in any number of ways and still fulfill the prophecy without discounting it totally. in other-words, a Prophecy can have as many "different truths" to its fulfillment depending on how the generation it affects interprets how it should be fulfilled. if it does not happen, then the prophecy may have either happened in the past or its interpretation was misunderstood and a new perspective will be revealed.
Re: Countdown To The Rapture? by Kay17: 8:37pm On Apr 06, 2011
I will be ticking my calendar
Re: Countdown To The Rapture? by Image123(m): 8:55pm On Apr 06, 2011
Keep ticking in vain. The Bible doesn't give a date, and i as a christian do not agree with the date. But at least it's a bolder take than the one your science gods told us that the solar system MAY be destroyed in some TRILLION years.
Re: Countdown To The Rapture? by thehomer: 9:17pm On Apr 06, 2011
Image123:

Keep ticking in vain. The Bible doesn't give a date, and i as a christian do not agree with the date. But at least it's a bolder take than the one your science gods told us that the solar system MAY be destroyed in some TRILLION years.

Sure it's bold but we'll soon verify whether or not it's prudent to be so bold as to just make such a prediction that we will easily be able to verify.

And actually, the sun has about 5.4 billion years before it disrupts the solar system as we know it. You're still not asking the crucial question whose answers are available which is how do we know what we know? You need to avoid sounding so incredulous simply because you do not understand what is being said.
Re: Countdown To The Rapture? by Image123(m): 7:24am On Apr 07, 2011
Hahahahaha, Say 'sure, it's bolder than my science gods'. I already told you about the prudence anyway. But i trust you'll not listen but you're excitedly in wait to falsely lambaste God, who you weirdly don't believe exist!
5billion years, i should work on prophesying in that direction. Saying thehomer may be explored as crude oil in that year.
Re: Countdown To The Rapture? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:00am On Apr 07, 2011
Prophecies are a mainstay in Christianity, you can say it is one of the identifiable characteristics of Christianity (i.e one of the Gifts of the Holy Spirit). I guess what a lot of people (including Christians) will be watching is what happens if this turns out to be false? how far will it shake the foundations of Christian Faith, a little, plenty or not at all. and why?
Re: Countdown To The Rapture? by Image123(m): 10:59am On Apr 07, 2011
prophecy is not a mainstay in christianity. It is ONE of the gifts of the Spirit like you said. A wrong or false prophecy, even a correct or true prophecy WILL NOT affect the true foundation of christianity.
Re: Countdown To The Rapture? by thehomer: 9:22pm On Apr 07, 2011
Image123:

Hahahahaha, Say 'sure, it's bolder than my science gods'. I already told you about the prudence anyway. But i trust you'll not listen but you're excitedly in wait to falsely lambaste God, who you weirdly don't believe exist!
5billion years, i should work on prophesying in that direction. Saying thehomer may be explored as crude oil in that year.

Of course. I hope you also realize that it is through such predictions that we are able to predict where and when a solar eclipse will occur, how long it will last etc.
You still fail to understand and ask the right questions.
Re: Countdown To The Rapture? by thehomer: 9:24pm On Apr 07, 2011
Image123:

prophecy is not a mainstay in christianity. It is ONE of the gifts of the Spirit like you said. A wrong or false prophecy, even a correct or true prophecy WILL NOT affect the true foundation of christianity.

This is plainly false since this would mean that claimed references to Jesus in the Old Testament shouldn't affect the foundation of Christianity yet it is one of the foundations of Christianity.
False prophesies diminish the veracity of Christianity.
Re: Countdown To The Rapture? by Image123(m): 10:09pm On Apr 07, 2011
Talk about asking the right questions. Were you a certain poster that started this thread to mock some 'christian' prediction on the end of the earth? Now you're reminded to behave well, seeing that 'science' own shot at predicting the end of the earth is comical. So it's time to shift the goal post, sorry the match has already ended, no basis.
Plus, the Bible is the Word of God, a more sure Word of prophecy, not to be compared to some relative unknown 'unbiblical christian' prophecy. Such trivialities don't affect the christian faith.
Re: Countdown To The Rapture? by thehomer: 10:13pm On Apr 07, 2011
Image123:

Talk about asking the right questions. Were you a certain poster that started this thread to mock some 'christian' prediction on the end of the earth? Now you're reminded to behave well, seeing that 'science' own shot at predicting the end of the earth is comical. So it's time to shift the goal post, sorry the match has already ended, no basis.

This thread is not a mockery. It is the belief of some Christians that the world will soon end.
What is comical about the scientific predictions of the end of the earth? Are you bothered due to your difficulty in comprehending the time scales involved?

Image123:

Plus, the Bible is the Word of God, a more sure Word of prophecy, not to be compared to some relative unknown 'unbiblical christian' prophecy. Such trivialities don't affect the christian faith.

This prophesy is not unbiblical. Do you not know of the numerous numbers and symbols that have been used in the Bible as some sort of sign? It seems you really need to go back and read your Bible.
Re: Countdown To The Rapture? by Enigma(m): 12:17am On Apr 08, 2011
Let's face it this kind of approach to criticising Christianity is intellectually dishonest or intellectually poor and/or "unscientific" and, for that matter, coming from those who harp on about science and all that.

Any intelligent and honest person will acknowledge that the vast majority of Christians globally do not take these kind of things/prophecies seriously and thus would not impute or interpolate such things to Christianity generally or as a whole. An informed person, particularly an informed and honest critic of Christianity will also know and note that many Christians do not even believe in "the rapture" doctrine, especially as often depicted in recent times, in the first place.

Interestingly, I do not see our friends applying the same standard when it comes to their so-called science; e.g. the tendency is to dismiss scientists who do not go along with their 'orthodoxy' such as evolution etc.

I really find this kind of straw man and caricature approach to criticising Christianity to be pathetic. I can respect genuinely intellectual, honest and well considered criticisms of Christianity but not this kind of nonsense.
Re: Countdown To The Rapture? by thehomer: 7:19am On Apr 08, 2011
Enigma:

Let's face it this kind of approach to criticising Christianity is intellectually dishonest or intellectually poor and/or "unscientific" and, for that matter, coming from those who harp on about science and all that.

Any intelligent and honest person will acknowledge that the vast majority of Christians globally do not take these kind of things/prophecies seriously and thus would not impute or interpolate such things to Christianity generally or as a whole. An informed person, particularly an informed and honest critic of Christianity will also know and note that many Christians do not even believe in "the rapture" doctrine, especially as often depicted in recent times, in the first place.

Are the people proposing them not Christians? Did they not get their information from the Bible? You see when you try to claim that some are "True Christians" but not others, you are simply going for the no true Scotsman fallacy because you are trying to exclude Christians who actually produce and believe these prophesies. Really, is there any single belief that all Christians hold?

Enigma:

Interestingly, I do not see our friends applying the same standard when it comes to their so-called science; e.g. the tendency is to dismiss scientists who do not go along with their 'orthodoxy' such as evolution etc.

How is evolution "orthodoxy"? Can you present examples of this?
Even if this were true, does this then mean that the above claims are false?

Enigma:

I really find this kind of straw man and caricature approach to criticising Christianity to be pathetic. I can respect genuinely intellectual, honest and well considered criticisms of Christianity but not this kind of nonsense.

No it's not a straw man because we actually have Christians running an advertising campaign as usual to make this claim. This is apart from the other numerous claims that have so far failed to come true.
This is an intellectual and honest criticism because we do know the large part that revelation and prophesy play in the Christian religion.
Re: Countdown To The Rapture? by Enigma(m): 8:16am On Apr 08, 2011
thehomer:

Are the people proposing them not Christians? Did they not get their information from the Bible? You see when you try to claim that some are "True Christians" but not others, you are simply going for the no true Scotsman fallacy because you are trying to exclude Christians who actually produce and believe these prophesies. Really, is there any single belief that all Christians hold?
. . .

This is all I need bother to reply to: it shows your typical modus operandi --- make up a straw man argument for your opponent and then shed a lot of sweat knocking it down! Ask yourself where in my post I said or even suggested that some were "True Christians".

Look, have the decency and honesty to look for sound and worthwhile bases to criticise Chrsitianity or to challenge Christian doctrine; at the moment your fulminations are not worth taking seriously, to be honest with you; they are that pathetic!
Re: Countdown To The Rapture? by thehomer: 6:23pm On Apr 08, 2011
Enigma:

This is all I need bother to reply to: it shows your typical modus operandi --- make up a straw man argument for your opponent and then shed a lot of sweat knocking it down! Ask yourself where in my post I said or even suggested that some were "True Christians".

Of course go ahead and only pick the comment you can handle. I already explained how it was not a straw man in my previous post. It was one of my comments that you attempted to evade.
I'll advice you that when you accuse a person of committing a fallacy, try to explain how the comment was a fallacy.
Now with regards to your denying that your post implies that they are not True Christians, I'm sorry that you did not logically connect the dots in what you said. I don't like having to point out the implications of what you say as though you have not seen them.
You're claiming that some Christians view the rapture in some way, others view it in another way. These two groups are Christians but according to you, the group that does not agree with you are probably not True Christians otherwise they would know enough not to take these prophesies seriously.
These two groups of people are Christians with diametrically opposed views so if one group is wrong then according to you, they are not True Christians because True Christians would not be wrong. This is the basis of a No True Scotsman fallacy.

Enigma:

Look, have the decency and honesty to look for sound and worthwhile bases to criticise Chrsitianity or to challenge Christian doctrine; at the moment your fulminations are not worth taking seriously, to be honest with you; they are that pathetic!

You're free not to take them seriously. But, if you do not understand them, please ask for clarification. Your attempt to evade and shield your particular subset of Christians or to declare them True Christians is indeed pathetic.
Re: Countdown To The Rapture? by Enigma(m): 8:39pm On Apr 08, 2011
thehomer:
. . .
You're free not to take them seriously. . . .

Yep, and not take them seriously I will indeed. smiley
Re: Countdown To The Rapture? by thehomer: 9:38pm On Apr 08, 2011
Enigma:

Yep, and not take them seriously I will indeed. smiley

Fine. Then please run along now. Just desist from making false accusations.
Re: Countdown To The Rapture? by Enigma(m): 9:44pm On Apr 08, 2011
^^^ If the cap fits, wear it mate. Keep on with the pathetic intellectually poor or dishonest style if it makes you happy.  smiley
Re: Countdown To The Rapture? by thehomer: 9:55pm On Apr 08, 2011
Enigma:

^^^ If the cap fits, wear it mate. Keep on with the pathetic intellectually poor or dishonest style if it makes you happy.  smiley

If such thoughts are what enable you sleep at night by all means think them. So you can run along now Mr. (what was it again) intellectual Christian. And I notice how once you are unable to defend an argument you just simply wail more and more.
Re: Countdown To The Rapture? by Enigma(m): 10:02pm On Apr 08, 2011
OK -- the wail again then: keep on with your intellectually poor or dishonest style if it makes you happy. smiley
Re: Countdown To The Rapture? by thehomer: 10:28pm On Apr 08, 2011
Enigma:

OK -- the wail again then: keep on with your intellectually poor or dishonest style if it makes you happy. smiley

Mr. intellectual Christian are you still on this thread? I thought you were leaving. As long as you're here, I'll repeat some of the posts that almost drove you away.
Please note the emphasized part and make the necessary corrections. Also desist from repeating the same error next time.

thehomer:

Of course go ahead and only pick the comment you can handle. I already explained how it was not a straw man in my previous post. It was one of my comments that you attempted to evade.

I'll advice you that when you accuse a person of committing a fallacy, try to explain how the comment was a fallacy.

Now with regards to your denying that your post implies that they are not True Christians, I'm sorry that you did not logically connect the dots in what you said. I don't like having to point out the implications of what you say as though you have not seen them.
You're claiming that some Christians view the rapture in some way, others view it in another way. These two groups are Christians but according to you, the group that does not agree with you are probably not True Christians otherwise they would know enough not to take these prophesies seriously.
These two groups of people are Christians with diametrically opposed views so if one group is wrong then according to you, they are not True Christians because True Christians would not be wrong. This is the basis of a No True Scotsman fallacy.

You're free not to take them seriously. But, if you do not understand them, please ask for clarification. Your attempt to evade and shield your particular subset of Christians or to declare them True Christians is indeed pathetic.
Re: Countdown To The Rapture? by thehomer: 5:10pm On Apr 09, 2011
42 days and counting.
Re: Countdown To The Rapture? by Kay17: 6:25pm On Apr 09, 2011
^^ who is coming again? Jesus or Jehovah?
Re: Countdown To The Rapture? by Jenwitemi(m): 6:43pm On Apr 09, 2011
^^^^ Aren't they both the same entity? According to some factions of christiandom, anyway.
Re: Countdown To The Rapture? by thehomer: 7:17pm On Apr 09, 2011
Kay 17:

^^ who is coming again? Jesus or Jehovah?

I think it's more about the countdown to when the Christians will leave the earth for the rest of the unbelievers. They are expected to float away into the sky to meet Jesus.
I still wonder about the logistics of this process. I wonder how high up Jesus will be for the relevant percentage of the entire globe to float up and meet him. Oh wait. Maybe they thought the earth was flat back then.
Re: Countdown To The Rapture? by thehomer: 7:19pm On Apr 09, 2011
Jenwitemi:

^^^^ Aren't they both the same entity? According to some factions of christiandom, anyway.

How dare you say that? Jesus was the son as well as the father. There is also a Holy Spirit. They are three in one. You just don't understand it it's a mystery. wink
Re: Countdown To The Rapture? by thehomer: 8:15pm On Apr 11, 2011
40 days and counting.
Re: Countdown To The Rapture? by Nobody: 3:53pm On Apr 13, 2011
Re: Countdown To The Rapture? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 5:13pm On Apr 13, 2011
a few days or centuries off give or take wink
Re: Countdown To The Rapture? by olasesi(m): 4:28pm On Apr 14, 2011
when will some people wake up to think, ?
how pathetic to discover that some people still believe this.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Hell Is Real! / Creation Vs. Evolution / 13 Top Secrets For A Successful Christian Courtship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.