Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,066 members, 7,849,311 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 06:23 PM

Voice Cloning: The New Method Used By Fraudsters. - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Voice Cloning: The New Method Used By Fraudsters. (1681 Views)

Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? / US Based Nigerian Lady Scammed Of N450k By Fraudsters, See How They Did It. Pics / Lady Narrates New Method Used To Kidnap People After She Made A Narrow Escape (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Voice Cloning: The New Method Used By Fraudsters. by McCoy662(m): 7:07am On Feb 10, 2021
Good morning guys. I've thought my experience with fraudsters few weeks ago is worth sharing. Please share as well, you might save someone.

There's this man I do some work for, he's a well known person with reputable character. His name is Emmanuel (real name) from Imo state but lives in Afikpo in Ebonyi state. I've known him for quiet a long time and all I can say about him is that he's trustworthy, reliable and doesn't like troubles. He's a lecturer.

On 24th December 2020, my phone rang, I brought it out and it was a strange number. I picked.
"My brother, how are you doing?" Was the words from the other end... "I'm fine sir". I replied.
This voice has a striking resemblance with the voice of Emmanuel. Before he could ask if I knew who was on the line, I'd concluded it's Emmanuel and I said yes. But then I asked what happened to his other number and he said he lost his phone. I wondered why he could jettison his phone number just because he lost his phone but then I didn't ask him anything. He said I should delete the other number and save the "new one". I did. Fortunately, I have my contacts backed up in my other phones.
We spoke at length on random things and he promised to call back.

Few days later, he called again and we talked. This voice was still Emmanuel's voice and I had no doubt that I was speaking with him.

On 15th January, he called and told me there was a business I could help him do. He said there was this school that he wants to supply hand gloves to. He said he took the estimate himself but because the school management doesn't know him as someone that sells stuffs like that, he would want me to act as in intermediary person.

He said that we will buy it 20k from one company in Enugu state and resell it 30k to the school.

This is a contract that would last for 6 months and the school needs about 600 cartons.

He sent me two numbers, one is the "company sales person from Enugu (Evangelist Solomon)" the other is " the school staff coming to buy it from me(Hon Dr James David)".
At this point I knew something was wrong but because this man is my Oga and we still have unfinished work I couldn't yell at him to get lost.
James David called to ask if I have the model and quantity of the hand gloves the need, I said yes. They said they are coming to meet me. That I should wait for them in my bank with a sample. When they see the sample, then they will pay me for the whole deal.
I told "Emmanuel" that they needed a sample, so he now asked me if I have 20k so we could get one carton for the sampling; I said no. Then he now asked how much I had on me, I told him 5k and he said he will call someone to send additional 5k as he was on his way to "school".
I called Solomon and told him we would give him 5k, hoping that when Emmanuel sends his 5k I will just forward it to him. But Emmanuel said I should just send my own 5k as he has asked someone to send another 5k.
At this point I knew it was fraud but that voice kept confusing me. I looked for the original number in my other phone and found it. I called it but it was switched off, I called the wife but it was switched off too. So there was no way to confirm if he was actually the one or not.
I became skeptical, I told Emmanuel that I will go to Enugu to pay the company and get the sample but he objected telling me that the company doesn't accept cash payment.. that's it, I lost patience and told him to get lost.

Few day later, I called the original number and it was going through. I asked him if he changed number and he said no. Then I told him someone is using his name, voice, working place, hometown and residential address to defraud people. Two days later he called me that those fraudsters succeeded in duping 2 other people of about 800k.
Yesterday, my friend told me that the same thing happened to him... Pls let's all be at alert, the days are evil.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Voice Cloning: The New Method Used By Fraudsters. by Mayng01(m): 7:34am On Feb 10, 2021
Hmmm ! The days are truly evil
Re: Voice Cloning: The New Method Used By Fraudsters. by zickyclef: 7:57am On Feb 10, 2021
If you are sure of the voice then d man na fraud star. He is playing two role fake Emmanuel and real Emmanuel.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Voice Cloning: The New Method Used By Fraudsters. by sherylbaky(f): 8:12am On Feb 10, 2021
zickyclef:
If you are sure of the voice then d man na fraud star. He is playing two role fake Emmanuel and real Emmanuel.
Voice cloning is possible

2 Likes

Re: Voice Cloning: The New Method Used By Fraudsters. by zickyclef: 8:18am On Feb 10, 2021
sherylbaky:
Voice cloning is possible

Yes it is possible. You can change your voice to male,female,baby, increase pitch but to clone someone exact voice is not possible. except if you record and play it.

7 Likes

Re: Voice Cloning: The New Method Used By Fraudsters. by CyberEBOLA(m): 9:00am On Feb 10, 2021
McCoy662 that man is behind the scam.
He deliberately made his number unreachable the exact period his contacts were being scammed.

That is the new and reigning scam now.
Scam your contacts and make them believe it was some random hackers or scammers.

Same way people kidnap themselves and make family and friends pay them.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Voice Cloning: The New Method Used By Fraudsters. by TreasureHuntNG: 9:02am On Feb 10, 2021
People are trying to work and make money cleanly while others are trying to rob them of the small one they have earned. The government is not the only problem in this country.

1 Like

Re: Voice Cloning: The New Method Used By Fraudsters. by McCoy662(m): 11:54am On Feb 10, 2021
CyberEBOLA:
McCoy662 that man is behind the scam.
He deliberately made his number unreachable the exact period his contacts were being scammed.

That is the new and reigning scam now.
Scam your contacts and make them believe it was some random hackers or scammers.

Same way people kidnap themselves and make family and friends pay them.

Honestly I thought as much but when my friend now told me that exactly the same thing happened to him, I had to rethink. Maybe there's a technology that clones voice or something. Just sharing so people could stay safe

1 Like

Re: Voice Cloning: The New Method Used By Fraudsters. by McCoy662(m): 11:55am On Feb 10, 2021
zickyclef:
That's what I thought but some things made me change my mind. It may not be him
Re: Voice Cloning: The New Method Used By Fraudsters. by BBM: 11:55am On Feb 10, 2021
Na the real Emmanuel scam you

Those two number switch off gave him away
Re: Voice Cloning: The New Method Used By Fraudsters. by Toma2: 11:57am On Feb 10, 2021
McCoy662:
Good morning guys. I've thought my experience with fraudsters few weeks ago is worth sharing. Please share as well, you might save someone.

There's this man I do some work for, he's a well known person with reputable character. His name is Emmanuel (real name) from Imo state but lives in Afikpo in Ebonyi state. I've known him for quiet a long time and all I can say about him is that he's trustworthy, reliable and doesn't like troubles. He's a lecturer.

On 24th December 2021, my phone rang, I brought it out and it was a strange number. I picked.
"My brother, how are you doing?" Was the words from the other end... "I'm fine sir". I replied.
This voice has a striking resemblance with the voice of Emmanuel. Before he could ask if I knew who was on the line, I'd concluded it's Emmanuel and I said yes. But then I asked what happened to his other number and he said he lost his phone. I wondered why he could jettison his phone number just because he lost his phone but then I didn't ask him anything. He said I should delete the other number and save the "new one". I did. Fortunately, I have my contacts backed up in my other phones.
We spoke at length on random things and he promised to call back.

Few days later, he called again and we talked. This voice was still Emmanuel's voice and I had no doubt that I was speaking with him.

On 15th January, he called and told me there was a business I could help him do. He said there was this school that he wants to supply hand gloves to. He said he took the estimate himself but because the school management doesn't know him as someone that sells stuffs like that, he would want me to act as in intermediary person.

He said that we will buy it 20k from one company in Enugu state and resell it 30k to the school.

This is a contract that would last for 6 months and the school needs about 600 cartons.

He sent me two numbers, one is the "company sales person from Enugu (Evangelist Solomon)" the other is " the school staff coming to buy it from me(Hon Dr James David)".
At this point I knew something was wrong but because this man is my Oga and we still have unfinished work I couldn't yell at him to get lost.
James David called to ask if I have the model and quantity of the hand gloves the need, I said yes. They said they are coming to meet me. That I should wait for them in my bank with a sample. When they see the sample, then they will pay me for the whole deal.
I told "Emmanuel" that they needed a sample, so he now asked me if I have 20k so we could get one carton for the sampling; I said no. Then he now asked how much I had on me, I told him 5k and he said he will call someone to send additional 5k as he was on his way to "school".
I called Solomon and told him we would give him 5k, hoping that when Emmanuel sends his 5k I will just forward it to him. But Emmanuel said I should just send my own 5k as he has asked someone to send another 5k.
At this point I knew it was fraud but that voice kept confusing me. I looked for the original number in my other phone and found it. I called it but it was switched off, I called the wife but it was switched off too. So there was no way to confirm if he was actually the one or not.
I became skeptical, I told Emmanuel that I will go to Enugu to pay the company and get the sample but he objected telling me that the company doesn't accept cash payment.. that's it, I lost patience and told him to get lost.

Few day later, I called the original number and it was going through. I asked him if he changed number and he said no. Then I told him someone is using his name, voice, working place, hometown and residential address to defraud people. Two days later he called me that those fraudsters succeeded in duping 2 other people of about 800k.
Yesterday, my friend told me that the same thing happened to him... Pls let's all be at alert, the days are evil.
Which one is Dec 2021?
It's same Emmanuel
No one cloned his phone number...
Re: Voice Cloning: The New Method Used By Fraudsters. by McCoy662(m): 12:00pm On Feb 10, 2021
Toma2:

Which one is Dec 2021?
no mind me joor. Dec 2020
Re: Voice Cloning: The New Method Used By Fraudsters. by Nobody: 1:55pm On Feb 10, 2021
Re: Voice Cloning: The New Method Used By Fraudsters. by sherylbaky(f): 7:17pm On Feb 10, 2021
zickyclef:

Yes it is possible. You can change your voice to male,female,baby, increase pitch but to clone someone exact voice is not possible. except if you record and play it.
https://www.komando.com/technology/voice-cloning-scams/708999/ Read through this link and see. It's very very possible, 100% possibility.

Re: Voice Cloning: The New Method Used By Fraudsters. by VictorUSA(m): 8:16pm On Feb 10, 2021
That Emmanuel maybe the person behind everything.
Re: Voice Cloning: The New Method Used By Fraudsters. by Wyry: 11:19pm On Feb 10, 2021
Nigerian girls are useless.
Re: Voice Cloning: The New Method Used By Fraudsters. by Toma2: 7:16am On Feb 11, 2021
Wyry:
Nigerian girls are useless.
Your sister join useless grin
Re: Voice Cloning: The New Method Used By Fraudsters. by Glycosunde: 8:08am On Feb 11, 2021
McCoy662:

That's what I thought but some things made me change my mind. It may not be him

[color=#550000]What I want to know is that why was both his and his wife numbers were switched off during that particular time you were been scammed. Also ask your friend when he was scammed if he called the real person's number and if it was also switched off just like yours. It is very hard for someone to clone a voice perfectly especially someone close to you. The scammer knew so much about the Emmanuel in question for my convenience. Emmanuel is highly culpable except maybe there is more to it[/color]
Re: Voice Cloning: The New Method Used By Fraudsters. by tunjiajayi: 10:19am On Feb 11, 2021
Distant relative, long lost friend or resemblance scams are one of the oldest and most prolific of all times, avoid taking to strangers on the phone and on the streets ,rebuff unnecessary familiarity.
Re: Voice Cloning: The New Method Used By Fraudsters. by McCoy662(m): 10:58am On Feb 11, 2021
Glycosunde:

[color=#550000]What I want to know is that why was both his and his wife numbers were switched off during that particular time you were been scammed. Also ask your friend when he was scammed if he called the real person's number and if it was also switched off just like yours. It is very hard for someone to clone a voice perfectly especially someone close to you. The scammer knew so much about the Emmanuel in question for my convenience. Emmanuel is highly culpable except maybe there is more to it[/color]
Yes yes yes!! My friend called the real person's numbers and it was all off for days. So maybe there's a way they bar close the person's and close relative's numbers from receiving calls.
From what I've gathered, it's either they are conniving with MTN or a very close friend cos on my side, many of the real Emmanuel's contacts were called. So I don't think an outsider will know someone so well and still know the people he has on his contact lists.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Voice Cloning: The New Method Used By Fraudsters. by Glycosunde: 3:13pm On Feb 11, 2021
McCoy662:

Yes yes yes!! My friend called the real person's numbers and it was all off for days. So maybe there's a way they bar close the person's and close relative's numbers from receiving calls.
From what I've gathered, it's either they are conniving with MTN or a very close friend cos on my side, many of the real Emmanuel's contacts were called. So I don't think an outsider will know someone so well and still know the people he has on his contact lists.

That is why I said there is more to this that we're seeing. And I'm sure that it is not only MTN lines that they are using. Was Emmanuel line MTN and was your friend's own also an MTN line. Even as at that how did they know the people that you might call in such a situation so as to know who to block their numbers. Well just thank God that you were not scammed because I do not trust anybody in such a situation, is it either Emmanuel or someone really close to him. Imagine 800k was gotten from others. One last question, was it the same format that the scammer used for you that he also used for the victims that were scammed

1 Like

Re: Voice Cloning: The New Method Used By Fraudsters. by McCoy662(m): 8:06pm On Feb 11, 2021
Glycosunde:

That is why I said there is more to this that we're seeing. And I'm sure that it is not only MTN lines that they are using. Was Emmanuel line MTN and was your friend's own also an MTN line. Even as at that how did they know the people that you might call in such a situation so as to know who to block their numbers. Well just thank God that you were not scammed because I do not trust anybody in such a situation, is it either Emmanuel or someone really close to him. Imagine 800k was gotten from others. One last question, was it the same format that the scammer used for you that he also used for the victims that were scammed
I don't really know if that my guy's own was also MTN shaa

Yes... Same format and it causing a big trouble between the lady/husband/real Emmanuel
Re: Voice Cloning: The New Method Used By Fraudsters. by Lordpeckxy(m): 9:43pm On Feb 11, 2021
I didn't study criminology, but i have read a lot of books and watch a lot movies.
let me give me give you a highlight...

There is a theory i call it,
Withered hands (Don't ask me shit about it)

it involves 4 stages:

Incident, Coincidence, pattern and Evidence.

1. The man getting your Number, calling you, and you confirming him to be Emmanuel through his voice is just an Incident.

2. You asking about his other number, and he told you it was stolen, you called it, it was switched off, for 3 days, was a coincidence.

3. Calling him, telling him about what happened, and he confirming that people has called him and so far so good 800k has been scammed from other people, is something i call, "what, how, why, when, who" aka Whats up.

4. The people are are from same location, and they know the Emmanuel is a pattern.
If I was a police detective, all I will be looking for is an evidence to hook him to his crimes.

because clearly your boss is a Fraudster...
and the from the look of it, he is not very good at it...
if you've read books like
Agent Penderghast series by Lincoln and preston
and Serge Storms series by Tim Dorsey, you will see you Bos fits the character of a minor fraudster

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Voice Cloning: The New Method Used By Fraudsters. by CyberEBOLA(m): 2:22pm On Feb 12, 2021
Lordpeckxy:
I didn't study criminology, but i have read a lot of books and watch a lot movies.
let me give me give you a highlight...

There is a theory i call it,
Withered hands (Don't ask me shit about it)

it involves 4 stages:

Incident, Coincidence, pattern and Evidence.

1. The man getting your Number, calling you, and you confirming him to be Emmanuel through his voice is just an Incident.

2. You asking about his other number, and he told you it was stolen, you called it, it was switched off, for 3 days, was a coincidence.

3. Calling him, telling him about what happened, and he confirming that people has called him and so far so good 800k has been scammed from other people, is something i call, "what, how, why, when, who" aka Whats up.

4. The people are are from same location, and they know the Emmanuel is a pattern.
If I was a police detective, all I will be looking for is an evidence to hook him to his crimes.

because clearly your boss is a Fraudster...
and the from the look of it, he is not very good at it...
if you've read books like
Agent Penderghast series by Lincoln and preston
and Serge Storms series by Tim Dorsey, you will see you Bos fits the character of a minor fraudster
I envy your knowledge.

(1) (Reply)

Man Shares "Considerate" Message He Received From A Thief Who Stole His Laptop / 7-up Bottling Company HR Manager Dies While Having pre-intimacy With Female Staff / (photos)boko Haram Celebrate Sallah.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.