Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,466 members, 7,816,091 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:13 AM

Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? (16062 Views)

Why Did Jesus ask those he healed not to tell others : Pastor Chris / Did Jesus Ask Christians To Pay Tithe? / How To Answer The Question "Where Did Jesus Say, 'I Am God, Worship Me''? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by jesusjnr2020(m): 6:50am On Feb 14, 2021
Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times?

John 21:15-17 (KJV)

So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him,
Feed my sheep.
He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

I'm sure Peter would have wondered what was actually going on when Jesus who knew him very well and that he had forsaking everything to follow Him, would still be asking him, "lovest thou me?" And not just once but three good times, because if anyone should know that Peter loved Him it should be Jesus Himself.

But Jesus very well knew what He was talking about because His sheep meant everything to Him. That's why He would lay down His life for them as a good Shepherd would.

So Jesus already knew that Peter loved Him,
but the question was not if Peter loved Him, but how much Peter loved Him. If Peter loved Him to the extent that he would take His sheep as He took them, and love and care for His sheep the way He did, because He had given His all for His sheep, and was going leave them in Peter's care, so it mattered a whole lot to Him that who He was going to leave His sheep with cared for His sheep as He would.

If Jesus could yet ask Peter who had proven his love for Him beyond any reasonable doubt, if He loved Him three times, I wonder how many times He would ask most of today's church leaders that same question. Because even the love Peter had for Jesus, most of them do not have, so how much more the love Jesus had for His sheep?

Moreover Jesus saying "feed my sheep" to Peter repeatedly on this occasion doesn't mean just giving them food or any kind of food, but the right kind of food, even that which the good Shepherd would feed them with if He were there with them - the kind of food that would lead to eternal life.

May God help us with leaders who would care for the sheep as Jesus did, and do everything they could to ensure that they're not lost to the enemy but preserved til the day the good Shepherd returns for His sheep. Amen!

65 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by falcon01: 7:21am On Feb 14, 2021
because jesus was Insecure AF

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by LMS1(m): 8:05am On Feb 14, 2021
Because Of PMB

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by Nukilia: 8:06am On Feb 14, 2021
Because He knew Peter was human and subject to change...

43 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by 6Milk(m): 10:22am On Feb 14, 2021
Because he wanted him to know the truth between love by the word of mouth and love mixed with commitment

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by 6Milk(m): 10:22am On Feb 14, 2021
LMS1:
Because Of PMB

Who is PMB

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by BassReeves: 10:56am On Feb 14, 2021
falcon01:
Your profile picture confirms that this comment and how you made it, is a perfect reflection of the state of your heart and mind.

The state of your heart and mind, reveals whether you harbour a grudge, hostility, ill-feeling etc towards Jesus. You were given a heart and mind to detect and have a sensibility of feelings with, not to weirdly formulate unjust hate and acrimonious comment about Jesus with.

57 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by falcon01: 4:15pm On Feb 14, 2021
BassReeves:
Your profile picture confirms that this comment and how you made it, is a perfect reflection of the state of your heart and mind.

The state of your heart and mind, reveals whether you harbour a grudge, hostility, ill-feeling etc towards Jesus. You were given a heart and mind to detect and have a sensibility of feelings with, not to weirdly formulate unjust hate and acrimonious comment about Jesus with.
urm.. what??
Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by BassReeves: 4:35pm On Feb 14, 2021
falcon01:
urm.. what??
What's all that about in your profile picture? What are you expressing with it?

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by sonmvayina(m): 4:45pm On Feb 14, 2021
Why would the disciples even desert him if they knew he was God. ?

Just a badly wriiten tale..

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by falcon01: 9:34pm On Feb 14, 2021
BassReeves:
What's all that about in your profile picture? What are you expressing with it?
I'm expressing gore.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by BassReeves: 9:49pm On Feb 14, 2021
falcon01:
I'm expressing gore.
To what intent and purpose are you expressing this gruesome and grotesque gore?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by falcon01: 8:06am On Feb 15, 2021
BassReeves:
To what intent and purpose are you expressing this gruesome and grotesque gore?
humans like gore!!

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by jesusjnr2020(m): 7:40am On Feb 21, 2021
sonmvayina:
Why would the disciples even desert him if they knew he was God. ?

Just a badly wriiten tale..
They were the false disciples...

Moreover even the "people of God" Israel deserted God in the wilderness and made a golden calf for themselves to worship so nothing there.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by sonmvayina(m): 8:05am On Feb 21, 2021
jesusjnr2020:
They were the false disciples...

Moreover even the "people of God" Israel deserted God in the wilderness and made a golden calf for themselves to worship so nothing there.

So you are making excuses now..
.very funny

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by jesusjnr2020(m): 8:49am On Feb 21, 2021
sonmvayina:

So you are making excuses now..
.very funny
The Truth is now excuses to you. Next time don't make such baseless points...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by sonmvayina(m): 1:20pm On Feb 21, 2021
jesusjnr2020:
The Truth is now excuses to you. Next time don't make such baseless points...

If it was you, and you have been following the son of the creator of heaven and earth for three years, and some police men appear to arrest him, will you run away or desert him?

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by jesusjnr2020(m): 7:54am On Feb 28, 2021
Lalasticlala, lovest thou Jesus than this?

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by lekki1444: 8:57am On Feb 28, 2021
well G-sus represents a spiritual state of ascension. like whom would be called Orunmila in the yoruba pantheon. and so from the name sigh-mourn pe-tar we can tell that this entity represents the spiritually dead however his state of ascension ( Jesus ) had to be established by syncing with him 3 times because in that articular number 3 was he destroyed. so this is an ascension ritual of the dead spirit to heaven. a spiritual Resurrection ritual. like the raising up of lazarus from the dead

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by Okortor: 8:57am On Feb 28, 2021
I pray that this month ends with all bad luck and disappointment in our lives in JESUS MIGHTY NAME AMEN AND AMEN

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by LoudLord(m): 8:57am On Feb 28, 2021
falcon01:

Shut your mouth

9 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by Okortor: 8:57am On Feb 28, 2021
How far have u gone with this non sense?
Sojated28:
100% sure bet. 9ja game available

Payment after winning

Msg me on WhatsApp 0 8 1 0 6 4 8 2 4 9 1
Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by Perfectsouth(m): 8:58am On Feb 28, 2021
Ok
Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by EdoAirline: 8:58am On Feb 28, 2021
Maybe Peter has

ear problem

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by ikorodureporta: 9:00am On Feb 28, 2021
na we b gzus bodyguard

Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by Tonniex: 9:00am On Feb 28, 2021
Because Peter denied him 3 times, and he did that to restore Peter's ministry in the presence of others so that no one will accuse him again...
So Peter became the pillar for Jesus'

7 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by Gamezi(m): 9:01am On Feb 28, 2021
Because every human would face deceit from people we love!! Its natural to be betray by someone we care about

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by Hitler5: 9:01am On Feb 28, 2021
Beacuse he is very stupid and a fool ...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by Truefaith: 9:02am On Feb 28, 2021
nh
Re: Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? by Commonguy(m): 9:02am On Feb 28, 2021
you sure that's the real reason

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Is Christian Dating So Difficult? / Daddy Freeze: Don't Be Deceived By Hypocrisy Of Men! By Omooba77 / Where Are We From and What Is Our Purpose On Earth?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.