Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,111 members, 7,828,950 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:28 PM

Slavery In Our Labour Market - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Slavery In Our Labour Market (35984 Views)

Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? / Is This Pure Act Of Slavery Or Real Job Vacancy? (Picture) / FG Uncovers 925 Hard-to-fill Vacancies In Labour Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by hotplate: 12:51pm On Feb 15, 2021
I think it's high time this country looks into and regulate some organization polices or should i say employment polices. here is my own story.
There is this job i applied for in an NGO finicial institution sometime around october after all the text and series of interview i was called that i got the job and i should come for documentation we got there hoping to receive our APL but no noting like that instead we were given many forms to sign some were to be signed in court while others were to be signed by our guarantors who they even ask to come with us in person with original documents of their landed properties.
Fastforward to January after the rigorous documentation we were now told that we would undergo a 2 weeks intensive training without pay after which they would give us our APL and deploy us to resume work. Brethren, it is more than a month now since we concluded that training yet nothing from them yet no work no APL or we got is they will get back to us, some person had to quite their previous job so they can participate in the training now what even pained me the most was that the week in December we were to start our documentation i got an internship job with the state government with a monthly stipend of #30,000. But due to the rigorous nature of the documentation i couldn't resume that said week and after about 3days my appointment was terminated even though i informed them while i wont be able to resume that week.

Now the red flags i got was
1) up until the day we started training this organisation refused to disclose what our salary would be. i tried doing my own findings and what i found was btw the range of #90k to #100k. But we were shocked when they tood us during the training that the salary is not even up to #60k yes! and some person quite their job of 70-80k for this job.

2) During the documentation one of the forms we were meant to sign includes a fidelity bond which states that we cant quite from the job within 2years from the day of our training or we would be made to pay the sum of #200,000.
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by Nnemuka(f): 1:02pm On Feb 15, 2021
slimjohn2k5:

The first red flag is that all the top officers of the company were women which I was uncomfortable with.

I don't understand undecided
You can't work under women ?
I am hopeful you will lose the job
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by Mac2016(m): 1:03pm On Feb 15, 2021
slimjohn2k5:
Hello guys I will like to advise us on job change
because I was so frustrated with my recent job, after going for interview with another it took them time to reach back and told me to resign from my current job to process my new job.
After resigning, 3days before I went to the new company I was called that I will be trained for 2yrs which was the second red flag.

The first red flag is that all the top officers of the company were women which I was uncomfortable with.

I got there yesterday to pick up work tool and all I saw was a turn off
1. IT guy asked me to turn on my data to set up the laptop they will give me
2. We will be working from home till Corona clears out. No power (Gen) support, I asked for data and the hr guy said I will reach out to Admin.
3. No pension, hmo, housing scheme, transportation, I was already boiling inside of me
4. He said I am resuming as a contract staff and they will make me full staff at their convenient time. That I just heard that day.
4. I will work one year before I am entitled to leave. I will be under supervision for 2yrs and cannot leave the company within that period
5. Most annoying part is that he said it is a Christian company I nearly slap the guy.

These and many other red flags I saw.

So guys do not resign from your previous job before taking another offer. If the new offer is not good enough turn it down and continue with the old job till a better one comes.

I think the offer shd be out, written in black & white signed and submitted for your digestion before you make your decision to sign. And you only resign after you have reverted with your signature on the offer of employment letter. Nobody wise o but take good steps to safeguard yourself, many wolves are out there.

1 Like

Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by joshboo(m): 1:12pm On Feb 15, 2021
want to invest in Real Estate Please contact Me.
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by semyman: 1:15pm On Feb 15, 2021
The punishment waiting for these Christianity extremists in position to engage workers will be untoward

1 Like

Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by badonkadonk: 1:18pm On Feb 15, 2021
onward4life:

That word "outrageous requirements" gimme me Small shock ... It's now a norm...

It's so 2 much that it needs do be a department in higher institution sef..

I have been a sales all my work life

It got to a point in my life I wish stand at the bus stop and be thinking were to go and sell today...
I change shoe tire so they nearly gather sue me NHRC.

But am all past dat... One call.....

BRO TINK OFF BIZ ABEG...

Thanks...

I dey think am seriously.
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by PETUK(m): 1:19pm On Feb 15, 2021
SKYHIGHfx:
Pay the price and learn FOREX
when some people are saying that Forex is not paying
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by Jaqenhghar: 1:23pm On Feb 15, 2021
slimjohn2k5:
because I was so frustrated with my recent job, after going for interview with another it took them time to reach back and told me to resign from my current job to process my new job.
After resigning, 3days before I went to the new company I was called that I will be trained for 2yrs which was the second red flag.

2. We will be working from home till Corona clears out. No power (Gen) support, I asked for data and the hr guy said I will reach out to Admin.
3. No pension, hmo, housing scheme, transportation, I was already boiling inside of me
4. He said I am resuming as a contract staff and they will make me full staff at their convenient time. That I just heard that day.
4. I will work one year before I am entitled to leave. I will be under supervision for 2yrs and cannot leave the company within that period
5. Most annoying part is that he said it is a Christian company I nearly slap the guy.

So guys do not resign from your previous job before taking another offer. If the new offer is not good enough turn it down and continue with the old job till a better one comes.

These are things you should have asked at the interview. You dont put pen to paper until you are satisifed with everything they promised to give. I did the same fucking mistake and it earned me 2 years of misery. It mead e me wiser sha.

2 Likes

Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by Ephemmm: 1:23pm On Feb 15, 2021
slimjohn2k5:

The contract of service(employment letter) sets out the relationship between the potential employee and employer. This, I believe, you have known because this was not your first employment opportunity.

My question is - how did you accept an employment offer without having/knowing the conditions therein? For me, I must have my employment letter readily accepted before making any resignation and I believe that should be the minimum standard.

For me, you have yourself to be blamed.

1 Like

Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by Pclemenza: 1:41pm On Feb 15, 2021
slimjohn2k5:
There was one stupid company I had about 5 stages of interview and test with that told me at the end they cannot pay up to 150k. I was really disappointed and had to let go
Drop names na
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by pooozeee(m): 1:43pm On Feb 15, 2021

1 Like

Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by Pclemenza: 1:50pm On Feb 15, 2021
slimjohn2k5:

You are right my brother
That is why I made this thread for others to learn from. However, there has been a burning flame in me to leave where I was as 99 percent of the staff are depressed and mentally drained. Nobody is thinking but want to leave at the slightest opportunity, it is that bad. When I resigned almost everyone I know are reaching out to show them the way out.

You are right but some businesses will frustrate you to make a rash decision
I might be wrong but your description & narrative sounds like one of those international AUDIT firms.
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by geokay777(m): 1:54pm On Feb 15, 2021
onward4life:

What I normally do is that I avoid brands and or services of such slave mentality companies...

Yu will see some asking for 5 years experience with masters as an added advantage. Not more 28yrs as at the time of applying with 2nd class upper from a reputable institution...

Just to receive 65k a month....
I say
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by live4ever: 1:59pm On Feb 15, 2021
slimjohn2k5:

Anyone or any company asking you to resign before giving you a letter of employment is DEFINITELY OUT to take advantage of you and give you a worse condition!

No REASONABLY prized organization of repute does that.
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by Jaysleeves(m): 2:20pm On Feb 15, 2021
harjay1986:

Falck prime atlantic but now Prime Atlantic safety service
Good afternoon sir..
Just sent you an Email.

1 Like

Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by Ofadaman(m): 2:22pm On Feb 15, 2021
Always never resign from your old job without looking at the offer of the new place, never ever,.. you must read it thoroughly and ask questions before switching
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by Ofadaman(m): 2:26pm On Feb 15, 2021
hotplate:
I think it's high time this country looks into and regulate some organization polices or should i say employment polices. here is my own story.
There is this job i applied for in an NGO finicial institution sometime around october after all the text and series of interview i was called that i got the job and i should come for documentation we got there hoping to receive our APL but no noting like that instead we were given many forms to sign some were to be signed in court while others were to be signed by our guarantors who they even ask to come with us in person with original documents of their landed properties.
Fastforward to January after the rigorous documentation we were now told that we would undergo a 2 weeks intensive training without pay after which they would give us our APL and deploy us to resume work. Brethren, it is more than a month now since we concluded that training yet nothing from them yet no work no APL or we got is they will get back to us, some person had to quite their previous job so they can participate in the training now what even pained me the most was that the week in December we were to start our documentation i got an internship job with the state government with a monthly stipend of #30,000. But due to the rigorous nature of the documentation i couldn't resume that said week and after about 3days my appointment was terminated even though i informed them while i wont be able to resume that week.

Now the red flags i got was
1) up until the day we started training this organisation refused to disclose what our salary would be. i tried doing my own findings and what i found was btw the range of #90k to #100k. But we were shocked when they tood us during the training that the salary is not even up to #60k yes! and some person quite their job of 70-80k for this job.

2) During the documentation one of the forms we were meant to sign includes a fidelity bond which states that we cant quite from the job within 2years from the day of our training or we would be made to pay the sum of #200,000.

Lol, na this kind thing I dey like, I'd quit the job after my first salary and won't pay a single dime..
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by wallay77(m): 2:33pm On Feb 15, 2021
[quote author=harjay1986 post=99085187]

Nawa ooh even my company housekeeper that work on rotation of one week on and a week off go home with 70 and ssce be the requirement[/quote
Bros I go like work for that your company...60k self I go collect...as an housekeeper....I have Bsc in computer science...been outta school since 2017
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by SoBright101: 2:44pm On Feb 15, 2021
What's the scope bro

Coldie:

I love Nigeria but after tasting abroad. My advise just take style move.
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by karnap(m): 2:48pm On Feb 15, 2021
na why I dey learned forex trading with FRANKIE ACADEMY. In two months time I won't be working for anyone
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by harjay1986: 2:50pm On Feb 15, 2021
[quote author=wallay77 post=99090768][/quote]

Oga you should know better by now u dont show ur card to employers most time
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by live4ever: 2:55pm On Feb 15, 2021
slimjohn2k5:

I read some comments bashing him about his observations that top management of the new place being only women.

Believe me; from personal experience it can be a very red flag cos most likely, that place will be run mainly based on emotional sentiments with very little balance of objective analytic perspective men bring into things.

It's always good to have a balance of both genders in management. Women also have a very important input of "feminine intuition and compassion" they bring to the table. In addition to the fact that people are usually more at ease to trust women more in financial transactions.

It's just like a home where though it's essential to have both parents, one is not more important than the other and it's definitely not best to have a single parenting if the option of both parents being on ground is available.

2 Likes

Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by wallay77(m): 2:57pm On Feb 15, 2021
harjay1986:

Oga you should know better by now u dont show ur card to employers most time
Ok
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by SKYHIGHfx: 3:24pm On Feb 15, 2021
PETUK:

when some people are saying that Forex is not paying
Because they did not want to pay the price
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by CHM11: 3:55pm On Feb 15, 2021
slimjohn2k5:

You are right my brother
That is why I made this thread for others to learn from. However, there has been a burning flame in me to leave where I was as 99 percent of the staff are depressed and mentally drained. Nobody is thinking but want to leave at the slightest opportunity, it is that bad. When I resigned almost everyone I know are reaching out to show them the way out.

You are right but some businesses will frustrate you to make a rash decision
No matter the situation, do not make rash decisions. It's your life that you are talking about here. You have to validate every single detail before you move.
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by 4lorunsho(m): 4:06pm On Feb 15, 2021
Frip:
It's the same everywhere o. Everywhere

When I tell youths to come join my establishment to build a company, get respectable treatment and good Remuneration they refuse to hear word. How much would one say from let's say 60k a month doing all of this

Monthly expense alone 30k

If i may ask what do you do in your company and is it Lagos base?
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by WoundedLamb: 4:20pm On Feb 15, 2021
omoadeleye:

If you are his employer can you take him back?

Yes, if he's in the technical field. Companies take back their techs all the time. Especially those they've invested in.

1 Like

Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by WoundedLamb: 4:25pm On Feb 15, 2021
Brunicekid:
Someone that has resigned should go back to the company?

Yes, many companies take back their ex staff. Resignation is not a fight. If you're technical, they'd gladly take you back especially if they spent resources training you.
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by chaloskyx: 4:28pm On Feb 15, 2021
I ASSUMED YOU WOULD ASK TO SEE YOUR CONTRACT AND TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SERVICE BEFORE YOU WOULD PUT PEN TO PAPER. ALSO MOST TIME YOU REQUEST FOR 1 MONTH NOTICE BEFORE YOU TRANSITION TO ANOTHER COMPANY GIVING YOU AMPLE TIME TO MAKE A DECISION

1 Like

Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by Makebitcoin: 4:43pm On Feb 15, 2021
oh
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by Richardlove(m): 4:54pm On Feb 15, 2021
Can I still join your company? I'm available.
Frip:
It's the same everywhere o. Everywhere

When I tell youths to come join my establishment to build a company, get respectable treatment and good Remuneration they refuse to hear word. How much would one say from let's say 60k a month doing all of this

Monthly expense alone 30k
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by kurlz(f): 5:02pm On Feb 15, 2021
slimjohn2k5:

Just take the advice of someone who says you should go back to your former job management.
Cook up something. Like maybe you were seek and needed to travel home for proper treatment blabla. Thats one piece of coin for you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

BBM Group For Unadvertised Job Vacancies! / Tuesday And Thursday Guardian Newspapers Vacancies / Husband Of Woman Who Carried Placard Rejects KBK Foundation's Job, Wants N200k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.