Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,964 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:28 AM

Today Is Ash Wednesday, Marks The Start Of The Lenten Period - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Today Is Ash Wednesday, Marks The Start Of The Lenten Period (11722 Views)

Today Is Ash Wednesday / Today Is Ash Wednesday; Beginning Of Lent / Insecurity: Catholics In Nigeria To Wear Black Outfits On Ash Wednesday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Today Is Ash Wednesday, Marks The Start Of The Lenten Period by apogeez(m): 1:33am On Feb 17, 2021
Ash Wednesday is a Christian holy day of prayer and fasting. It is preceded by Shrove Tuesday and falls on the first day of Lent, the six weeks of penitence before Easter. Ash Wednesday is traditionally observed by Western Christians

What is the significance of Ash Wednesday?
Ash Wednesday is important because it marks the start of the Lenten period leading up to Easter, when Christians believe Jesus was resurrected. The ashes symbolize both death and repentance. During this period, Christians show repentance and mourning for their sins, because they believe Christ died for them.

What does the Bible say about Ash Wednesday?
That's true; there is no mention of Ash Wednesday in the Bible. But there is a tradition of donning ashes as a sign of penitence that predates Jesus. In the Old Testament, Job repents “in dust and ashes,” and there are other associations of ashes and repentance in Esther, Samuel, Isaiah and Jeremiah.

Is lent just a Catholic thing?

Unlike Easter, it's not a celebration. While in excess of a billion Christians observe Lent each year, not all Christians do. It is observed by Anglicans, Roman Catholics, Easter Orthodox, Lutherans, and Methodists.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday, Marks The Start Of The Lenten Period by Kpobaridaniel(m): 1:53am On Feb 17, 2021
now now easter don reach. while ash Wednesday reminds me of purple hibiscus

13 Likes

Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday, Marks The Start Of The Lenten Period by JaneYave(f): 3:48am On Feb 17, 2021
So no more drumming in catholic churches and less meat eating now?

7 Likes

Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday, Marks The Start Of The Lenten Period by BigDick70inch(m): 10:38am On Feb 17, 2021
Thank God for Jesus Christ.......
The world wud have been chaotic.......

Jux like Muslims/islam r trying to make it......

7 Likes

Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday, Marks The Start Of The Lenten Period by janedonez(m): 10:38am On Feb 17, 2021
Dust to Dust.
If all will accept that this life is temporal, then we will all live for others.

10 Likes

Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday, Marks The Start Of The Lenten Period by mbahdi(m): 10:38am On Feb 17, 2021
It's not all about putting ashes on d forehead how about your relationship with God?ashes will never take you to heaven,but your did while alive.remember,there are two things you can never miss in life which is heaven and hell.if you miss heaven,you can never miss hell.its about to happen how prepared are you?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday, Marks The Start Of The Lenten Period by chiemmanuel(m): 10:38am On Feb 17, 2021
There is no scriptural evidence of ash wednesday

So they don't eat meat during Lent, that means meat Will now be cheaper

5 Likes

Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday, Marks The Start Of The Lenten Period by Llight101(m): 10:38am On Feb 17, 2021
Okay.
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday, Marks The Start Of The Lenten Period by lekki1444: 10:39am On Feb 17, 2021
cheesy
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday, Marks The Start Of The Lenten Period by Tectono: 10:39am On Feb 17, 2021
How did Jesus that never existed resurrect? It is just a Jewish concocted story. When you study the Kabbalah, you will understand this. Click on the first link on my signature to master how you will be making millions of naira as profit from export business.
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday, Marks The Start Of The Lenten Period by brightovio007(m): 10:40am On Feb 17, 2021
Season of reflection
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday, Marks The Start Of The Lenten Period by Authoreety: 10:40am On Feb 17, 2021
I Hope Muslims, atheists and whatever won't be able to comment here under Nairaland laws

5 Likes

Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday, Marks The Start Of The Lenten Period by joey150(m): 10:40am On Feb 17, 2021
JaneYave:
So no more drumming in catholic churches and less meat eating now?
It's not just about "meat."

It's less of anything that gives you pleasure. A time to discipline the body to fortify the spirit.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday, Marks The Start Of The Lenten Period by Angelfrost(m): 10:40am On Feb 17, 2021
Never liked the ash they put on my forehead back then in Primary school... Felt so unhygienic!!! Used to scrub it off almost immediately after. undecided
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday, Marks The Start Of The Lenten Period by Bobotic(m): 10:42am On Feb 17, 2021
God is Good

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday, Marks The Start Of The Lenten Period by carbony4red(m): 10:43am On Feb 17, 2021
Let's go 40 days of fasting

5 Likes

Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday, Marks The Start Of The Lenten Period by sojfarm: 10:43am On Feb 17, 2021
One of those traditions of the elders
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday, Marks The Start Of The Lenten Period by elmessiahs(m): 10:43am On Feb 17, 2021
wish you well, for the Reverend father's please ensure to talk to this politicians especially your members. Put sense into them so they can have the fear of God because if they respect God they will know that the voice of the people is the voice of God.

2 Likes

Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday, Marks The Start Of The Lenten Period by optimus106(m): 10:43am On Feb 17, 2021
THE ASH WEDNESDAY THING IS NOT FOUND IN THE BIBLE.

4 Likes

Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday, Marks The Start Of The Lenten Period by ikorodureporta: 10:43am On Feb 17, 2021
What's the significance of not eating meat??

na sin to chop meat??!

who even bring this kyne law

1 Like

Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday, Marks The Start Of The Lenten Period by Moee(m): 10:43am On Feb 17, 2021
May The Lord Wash away all our Sins and Cleanse all our iniquities and shortcomings.
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday, Marks The Start Of The Lenten Period by merits(m): 10:44am On Feb 17, 2021
apogeez:
Ash Wednesday is a Christian holy day of prayer and fasting. It is preceded by Shrove Tuesday and falls on the first day of Lent, the six weeks of penitence before Easter. Ash Wednesday is traditionally observed by Western Christians

What is the significance of Ash Wednesday?
Ash Wednesday is important because it marks the start of the Lenten period leading up to Easter, when Christians believe Jesus was resurrected. The ashes symbolize both death and repentance. During this period, Christians show repentance and mourning for their sins, because they believe Christ died for them.

What does the Bible say about Ash Wednesday?
That's true; there is no mention of Ash Wednesday in the Bible. But there is a tradition of donning ashes as a sign of penitence that predates Jesus. In the Old Testament, Job repents “in dust and ashes,” and there are other associations of ashes and repentance in Esther, Samuel, Isaiah and Jeremiah.

Is lent just a Catholic thing?

Unlike Easter, it's not a celebration. While in excess of a billion Christians observe Lent each year, not all Christians do. It is observed by Anglicans, Roman Catholics, Easter Orthodox, Lutherans, and Methodists.

Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday, Marks The Start Of The Lenten Period by NaijaCover(m): 10:44am On Feb 17, 2021
Is Back From Ash Wednesday, Who Miss Me For Nairaland
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday, Marks The Start Of The Lenten Period by crismark(m): 10:44am On Feb 17, 2021
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday, Marks The Start Of The Lenten Period by OgbanjeProphet: 10:45am On Feb 17, 2021
Some moniker posted that Jesus never existed...

To me JESUS existed,
JESUS is existing and
JESUS will exist forever.

It's my belief. I don't force it on anybody because you can't force yours on me.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday, Marks The Start Of The Lenten Period by merieam16(f): 10:46am On Feb 17, 2021
Bobotic:
God is Good
All the time

2 Likes

Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday, Marks The Start Of The Lenten Period by Perfectsouth(m): 10:46am On Feb 17, 2021
Ok
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday, Marks The Start Of The Lenten Period by crismark(m): 10:46am On Feb 17, 2021
I am Catholic but i stopped all dese cos Catholic church have been compromised by corrupt leaders..
I have left religion for you pple.
It now seem like a scam to me

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday, Marks The Start Of The Lenten Period by Queenlovely(f): 10:46am On Feb 17, 2021
I am now an atheist

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Where Do Black People Come From If Adam And Eve Were White...? / TB Joshua Celebrates His 52nd Birthday Today / What If Obama Is The Anti-Christ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.