Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,619 members, 7,827,317 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:30 AM

5 Nigerians Share Their Experiences With Fake Job Interviews - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 5 Nigerians Share Their Experiences With Fake Job Interviews (618 Views)

5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews / This Is The List Of Fake Job Addresses Collated (not Exhaustive). / Latest Nigeria Current Affairs Questions And Answers For Job Interviews (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Nigerians Share Their Experiences With Fake Job Interviews by BigCabal: 1:04pm On Feb 18, 2021
Nigeria has an unemployment problem. According to a report published by the National Bureau of Statistics, Nigeria’s unemployment rate was 27% in Q2 2020. This is the perfect situation for the rise of job scams, which a lot of people have actually fallen victim to. I thought it might be good to find some Nigerians who have been to fake job interviews and talk to them about their experiences. A couple of people reached out to share their stories, and this is how it went.

Oluwaseun
In 2019, I got a DM on Instagram from a company, informing me that they had some open vacancies. I applied for the role of supervisor and sent in my CV. A few hours later, I got another DM and a text message from their representative, inviting me to an interview at an office in Ilupeju. I did little research and realised that a recruiting firm had an office there, so I thought it was legit.

I lied at work and took a day off. When I got there, I met four other people who had arrived before me. Before 10 am, the number had risen to 30. They took us in batches to their conference room to write an aptitude test. I guess I passed because I was directed to another room for the oral interview. My interviewer took interest immediately she saw my phone and MacBook. At the end of the interview, she told me to expect a call or text from them soon.

A few hours later, I got another text asking me to come in the following day. This time, they planted one of their people in the room where the candidates were. But everything he said was too good to be true. My suspicions were heightened when I met the director. First, her spoken English was off. Then, she asked for a ₦50k commitment fee.
The woman who showed interest in me the previous day was on my case to drop something, so I dropped ₦5k. They asked for a photocopy of my international passport and 2 passport photographs.

The next message I got from them told me that I’d been selected for the job, and the salary package was ₦400k per month. The text also stated that induction was the next step, and it included an address to a hotel in Ikeja. Something was off about the whole thing, so I searched for the woman’s name and their office address on Nairaland. The address was used by at least 20 fake companies. I realised that I’d been hoodwinked.

I decided to go to the bogus induction, so I took another day off at work, although my boss was irritated. When I got to the hotel, they asked us to order for Chapman, and I did.

I knew my money was gone, so I wasn’t shy to order food. By the time I left, I’d ordered three more glasses of Chapman and Chinese rice — everything was up to ₦20k. When they asked me to balance up my commitment fee, I told them I would need to use the ATM outside to withdraw the money and they sent a lady to go with me. I used an ATM card that had expired, and when it didn’t work, I told the lady that I would have to go into the bank. I had already ordered a ride, and I texted the driver to wait for me two buildings away from the hotel. Immediately I crossed to where my ride was, I got in told the driver to drive off.

Bridget
It was 2018, and I’d just finished my service year. I got a text message to interview for a job I didn’t remember applying to. I thought I had nothing to lose, so on the day of the interview, I dressed up in my Sunday best and hopped on a bus. The location of the interview was Onipanu in Lagos, and it took ages to get to the venue. When I finally did, I met about 10 staff members waiting at the place to welcome us. I thought that was weird. I was directed to the interview room and met a couple of applicants there too.

Shortly after I arrived, the rigmarole started. First, we were given a test. Then they introduced the members of staff at the company and their successful boss. Alarm bells started ringing in my head and I realised that it was a job scam. Their boss noticed how uninterested I was and made a snide comment about Doubting Thomases. Anyway, they asked us to pay ₦20k to register with their company and stuff, and they asked whoever didn’t believe them to leave.

Five people, including me, made a room to leave. The boss stopped me and asked for the price of my phone and said I could have used the money to start a business. That did not stop me, but they weren’t ready to give up either. They sent someone to call me back. WhenI got back inside, they tried to convince me in their shitty office that they were legit and I was going to make lots of money. My patience had run out, and I insulted all of them before I ran out. I noticed that the boss was following me, so I walked faster to meet up with the people I left with earlier.

That was the last time something like this happened to me. I know how to spot fake interviews now.

Continue: https://www.zikoko.com/money/5-nigerians-talk-about-their-fake-job-interview-experiences/

2 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerians Share Their Experiences With Fake Job Interviews by Nobody: 1:06pm On Feb 18, 2021
Them never jam
Re: 5 Nigerians Share Their Experiences With Fake Job Interviews by sulaiboy20(m): 1:16pm On Feb 18, 2021
Re: 5 Nigerians Share Their Experiences With Fake Job Interviews by CookingPot(f): 1:33pm On Feb 18, 2021
Mine happened like this. I got the text message in the middle of the night around 2 am that I had been shortlisted for an interview
The message read thus

Congratulations, Application approved
Rc Con invite you for a CHAT with the MD on Saturday 13/11/20 by 10am, at

Had to travel from my town to another state after borrowing money for the trip and planning to give a testimony how I ended have a good job.

Omo ashey naa GNLD modification/Neo life.
I felt like slapping myself when I realized I should have searched for the information on Nairaland first before going to the park... I regret spending so much for such a trip but I believe God will make a way where there seems to be non
Re: 5 Nigerians Share Their Experiences With Fake Job Interviews by BigCabal: 1:58pm On Feb 18, 2021
CookingPot:
Mine happened like this. I got the text message in the middle of the night around 2 am that I had been shortlisted for an interview
The message read thus

Had to travel from my town to another state after borrowing money for the trip and planning to give a testimony how I ended have a good job.

I felt like slapping myself when I realized I should have searched for the information on Nairaland first before going to the park

Na wa o embarassed
Re: 5 Nigerians Share Their Experiences With Fake Job Interviews by VeeInsider: 3:20pm On Feb 18, 2021
Front page please... We need to learn from so many others.

Seun
Mynd44
Dominique
lalasticlala
Re: 5 Nigerians Share Their Experiences With Fake Job Interviews by EbukaHades10(m): 4:41pm On Feb 18, 2021
Na so bossgroup send me "interview" message at around 5am or so.

I open Nairaland first, see say na scam,na so i off phone go sleep.

FYI, I don do P.O.P today so if anybody get work for me, I dey ground o.

I studied Insurance at the University of Lagos and I am very willing to work and also hard working.

I have knowledge of Microsoft office softwares (learning excel now), I also have some basic knowledge of graphics design.

Plans are in place to further my studies by getting my masters degree and ICAN certification

Re: 5 Nigerians Share Their Experiences With Fake Job Interviews by Angelacruz: 4:42pm On Feb 18, 2021
May God provide job to all d unemployed.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerians Share Their Experiences With Fake Job Interviews by YourMajesty(m): 4:47pm On Feb 18, 2021
Angelacruz:
May God provide job to all d unemployed.
Amen to your prayers.

I just need one.
Re: 5 Nigerians Share Their Experiences With Fake Job Interviews by Angelacruz: 4:51pm On Feb 18, 2021
Dont give up bro...there is light at d end of d tunnel.
YourMajesty:
Amen to your prayers.

I just need one.
Re: 5 Nigerians Share Their Experiences With Fake Job Interviews by YourMajesty(m): 4:52pm On Feb 18, 2021
Angelacruz:
Dont give up bro...there is light at d end of d tunnel.
Thanks for your kind words...
Re: 5 Nigerians Share Their Experiences With Fake Job Interviews by Angelacruz: 4:56pm On Feb 18, 2021
Uwc
YourMajesty:
Thanks for your kind words...
Re: 5 Nigerians Share Their Experiences With Fake Job Interviews by DaInferno(m): 9:31pm On Feb 18, 2021
CookingPot:
The message read thus

I felt like slapping myself when I realized I should have searched for the information on Nairaland first before going to the park... I regret spending so much for such a trip but I believe God will make a way where there seems to be non
those people don't tell you shit till you reach there...the fact you had to travel though!

(1) (Reply)

xxxxxxxxx / A K.g Teacher Needed Urgently,,,, Accommodation Available / Urgent Vacancy!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.