Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,503 members, 7,816,196 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:25 AM

What's happening to Spanish football? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / What's happening to Spanish football? (33797 Views)

FIFA Suspends Spanish Football Chief, Rubiales Over Kissing Scandal / Inmessionate: New Messi-inspired Word Added To Spanish Dictionary / Arsenal Set To Lose Key Defender To Spanish Giant For £50million (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's happening to Spanish football? by obembet(f): 11:49am On Feb 20, 2021
Sevilla, Barcelona and Real Sociedad were thrashed this week in Europe and their devastating results have urged many to question the quality of LaLiga Santander this season.

World-class players such as Kylian Mbappe or Erling Haaland may be linked with Spanish clubs, yet their main issue is not the lack of talent, but the loss of a football identity.

LaLiga Santander powerhouses no longer dominate games and have failed this season to impose their game on their opponents in Europe.

The one-touch game has been lost and teams have been struggling when it comes to being lethal in front of goal in 2020/21.

In fact, as many as eight LaLiga Santander sides have fewer scored fewer goals than matches played this season, while in Serie A, only Parma have netted less than one goal per game (15 goals in 22 duels).

Spanish teams lack fluidity, produce fewer passes, create fewer chances and net fewer goals than the rest in Europe and this becomes evident when they are called to play in the Champions League or Europa League.

LaLiga Santander sides score in average a mere 2.52 goals per match, which is the lowest figure amongst the major five leagues.

Bundesliga tops the charts with 3.05 goals per game, followed by Serie A (three per match), Ligue 1 (2.73) and the Premier League (2.72).

From the 2013/14 campaign until 2017/2018, when Real Madrid, Barcelona and Sevilla dominated in Europe, LaLiga Santander sides scored over 1,000 goals per season.

This figure has been dropping since, while this year it is estimated that they will reach 958 goals.

No league registers fewer shots, assists, dribble attempts, counterattacks and passes than LaLiga Santander, which comes second in game interruptions, with almost 27 fouls per game.

Less money, fewer signings and talent drain

LaLiga Santander is the league whose teams have spent less than all the rest of the major five after the COVID-19 outbreak.

In addition to the lack of imported talent, homegrown players have left the country to ply their trade to other leagues in Europe.

David De Gea, Kepa Arrizabalaga, Sergio Reguilon, Rodri Hernandez, Thiago Alcantara, Dani Olmo, Fabian Ruiz, Ferran Torres and Alvaro Morata are just some of the Spain internationals who no longer feature for a Spanish club.

To put it in context, from the 23 players called up by Luis Aragones for the 2008 European Championships, only four played abroad: Fernando Torres, Xabi Alonso, Cesc Fabregas and Pepe Reina.

Meanwhile, only three players of the team who won the 2010 World Cup played elsewhere in Europe: Torres, Fabregas and Reina.

Two years later, Spain dominated the 2012 European Championships with Torres, Juan Mata, Savid Silva and Reina being the only members of the squad who didn't feature in LaLiga Santander.

This season, all three top Spanish scorers in the Champions League - Morata, Ferran Torres and Angelino - play abroad.

Barcelona and Real Sociedad will not have an easy task in their attempt to turn around their ties against Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester United respectively.

Meanwhile, Mbappe and Haaland could feature as main transfer targets for Spanish football powerhouses, but the issues of LaLiga Santander seem to go deeper than the lack of superstars.

Source: https://www.marca.com/en/football/spanish-football/2021/02/19/602ffc34268e3ea80f8b4573.html

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's happening to Spanish football? by ignis: 11:50am On Feb 20, 2021
Noted

5 Likes

Re: What's happening to Spanish football? by daneni1(m): 11:53am On Feb 20, 2021
win with over 2.5 for chelsea

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's happening to Spanish football? by ihateniggov1: 12:34pm On Feb 20, 2021
There is no more Christiano Ronaldo in the league, that is the reason.

In other news, Atletico Madrid will be the next spanish team to get thrashed by Chelsea, watch out!

189 Likes 14 Shares

Re: What's happening to Spanish football? by FalseProphet1(m): 12:34pm On Feb 20, 2021
I see nothing wrong with Spanish football, the question should be what's wrong with Barcelona. Real sociedad was bound to loose to Manchester United because they're not a very strong side, I see Atletico Madrid defeating Chelsea next week, I see them and real Madrid going far in this year's UCL. This I have seen.

70 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's happening to Spanish football? by brightdan444(m): 12:35pm On Feb 20, 2021
okay
Re: What's happening to Spanish football? by Crimrburster: 12:35pm On Feb 20, 2021
Noting lasts forever, my guy.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's happening to Spanish football? by Abdul9025(m): 12:35pm On Feb 20, 2021
shocked cool coronavirus really affect them...especially for them not to play in their country
Re: What's happening to Spanish football? by Muhylonaire007: 12:36pm On Feb 20, 2021
Ehn?
Re: What's happening to Spanish football? by Kylekent59: 12:36pm On Feb 20, 2021
Must they be winning all the time? Later you guys would criticize your president when he does retain Fulani people in his administration.

Other leagues should be given a chance to prove their worth.

14 Likes

Re: What's happening to Spanish football? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Feb 20, 2021
Nothing is happening to Spanish football. There are always high and low times for football federation. Even kings don't rule forever, not even in NNL/NPFL

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's happening to Spanish football? by BlackPantherxXx: 12:36pm On Feb 20, 2021
grin grin

We are ALL ( me inclusive) responsible for this yeye attitude.

I am 100% sure no newspaper or media in Spain would have this headline:

" What's happening with Nigerian football"

It's sad that we don't promote or value our own

PS - modified : It's Marca a Spanish newspaper that carried it ... but my point still stands.

IF, I, The Black Panther didn't have any interest in Spanish football, wouldn't have clicked.

And replace "Spanish" with " Nigerian" and this thread would be empty.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's happening to Spanish football? by dazzlingd(m): 12:37pm On Feb 20, 2021
Barcelona has been receiving beating back to back in champions league

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What's happening to Spanish football? by NORSYK(m): 12:37pm On Feb 20, 2021
The glory of Laliga left with CR7, that's the reason

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What's happening to Spanish football? by PlayerMeji: 12:37pm On Feb 20, 2021
A time for everything...
Re: What's happening to Spanish football? by Johnbosco77(m): 12:37pm On Feb 20, 2021
Next news pls....

This is not what we as a nation need now...

2 Likes

Re: What's happening to Spanish football? by Jcash90: 12:37pm On Feb 20, 2021
If you ask me na who I go ask? Go ask FIFA president. After all football na turn by turn
Re: What's happening to Spanish football? by arimahoseloka(m): 12:37pm On Feb 20, 2021
Too many average players these days, also buying a quality player is a gamble because he might very well fail to live up to expectation.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's happening to Spanish football? by nairalee(m): 12:37pm On Feb 20, 2021
I must admit I was also naive before thinking Ronaldo's exit wouldn't affect the league. Right now I can even miss watching el classico without bothering.

But OP guess what? Once Messi leaves even Nigerian NPFL will have more levels than the Spanish Laliga grin

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What's happening to Spanish football? by obembet(f): 12:37pm On Feb 20, 2021
Rivalry between Messi and Ronaldo made laliga centre stage,since Ronaldo left there was no rivalry and the decline of Barca and Madrid followed .Barca and Madrid didn't plan for the future on time.they over used their stars and didn't care to find talented replacement .even when they found quality players they were not bold enough field them when their old stars are still there thereby wasting somany talented players . that's why I like pep.pep introduced thiago when iniesta was still at his best ,he brought Pedro out and so on and he is doing same in city now .Barca and Madrid are paying the price for that right now .athletico are the strongest now because they can sell any player at any time and find replacement.

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What's happening to Spanish football? by Ayo2004: 12:37pm On Feb 20, 2021
Most of la liga teams park the bus throughout the matches so goals are low

No EPL team aside Man city can beat a bad form real madrid or the current athletico Madrid sha grin
No man u fan should quote me

8 Likes

Re: What's happening to Spanish football? by Beverlyjean(f): 12:37pm On Feb 20, 2021
Its a shitty league...thats were messi has been pulling power to deceive his delusional fans ...its now a very weak league...the moment Ronaldo left..that league died

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What's happening to Spanish football? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Feb 20, 2021
D
Re: What's happening to Spanish football? by Odunolumide(m): 12:38pm On Feb 20, 2021
life na turn by turn. They dominated at one point ,now it's their turn to suffer. let them enjoy it especially that goatless Barca team.

2 Likes

Re: What's happening to Spanish football? by longetivity(m): 12:38pm On Feb 20, 2021
if Messi leaves Barca, laliga will be completely useless

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's happening to Spanish football? by Mayor21(m): 12:39pm On Feb 20, 2021
Their time dn dey pass
Re: What's happening to Spanish football? by JustCruise(m): 12:39pm On Feb 20, 2021
The lack of competition in the league is seriously affecting them now, just watch how unpredictable the top 6 in EPL is currently,compared to the Spanish league.

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Drogba Hails Mohamed Salah As He Breaks His Premier League Record / Alex Ferguson Blocks Man Utd From Sacking Solskjaer After Liverpool Defeat / Kanu Nwankwo Recovers Money Stolen From His Luggage In Russia - Read More

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.