Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,486 members, 7,816,150 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:42 AM

What's Wrong With My Bread - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What's Wrong With My Bread (1983 Views)

My Bread Breaks And Scatters After 3 Days / I Want Someone In Abuja Who Can Help Me Design Nylon For My Bread / HREAD BAKERS; Why Is My Bread Not As Soft And Nice As Grand Square Bread ,abuj (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Wrong With My Bread by Nobody: 3:28pm On Feb 24, 2021
Ok, so for quite a while I have been trying to make bread rolls but sadly, all my attempts so far have been...well...not as expected.

During my first endeavour, after mixing the dough and kneading, it just kept falling apart. I kneaded for an hour and a half (something that shouldn't take me more than 10mins) and although it seemed to almost take shape, it still returned to its gooey state. The result is the first pic attached.

The second time I tried it, I added a lot of flour. I mean...I kept adding and adding till I exhausted it all. It would seem as if it's well kneaded and has taken shape after every addition but then after pulling or cutting it, the gooey(ness) returns. I thought that was the end but boy was I wrong. I covered it up for an hour and this dough didn't change size o. It refused to rise. Like it was hell-bent on making me cry that (mid)night. 30mins later, it was still the same way. And bear in mind I was doing all these in the dead of the night ( like that Kain 3 am o). I used a mixer to knead this time around and could you believe the mixer blew I up(the fuse I mean)??. Like if the dough could talk it sure would be saying "I get coconut head"

I have always enjoyed baking(in my mind) and the process of making all kinds of pastries (you can ask my YouTube feed, I don watch tutorial tire ehn), and I have a dream of making the world's biggest bakery with all kinds of pastries (I know, it's quite the lofty the dream) but with all that has happened ehn, e b like say the dream wan remain dream. So please, even if it would require the redpillers and feminists to form an alliance for my sake or heck, agree to a temporary ceasefire to bail me out. I beg you, come to my aid now.

MariahAngel(please kindly mention any other person who can be of help)

And also, how do you prevent the base from getting burnt? It's one of the problems I face a lot too.

2 Likes

Re: What's Wrong With My Bread by mariahAngel(f): 5:14pm On Feb 24, 2021
Tadeknkeepcalm:
Ok, so for quite a while I have been trying to make bread rolls but sadly, all my attempts so far have been...well...not as expected.

During my first endeavour, after mixing the dough and kneading, it just kept falling apart. I kneaded for an hour and a half (something that shouldn't take me more than 10mins) and although it seemed to almost take shape, it still returned to its gooey state. The result is the first pic attached.

The second time I tried it, I added a lot of flour. I mean...I kept adding and adding till I exhausted it all. It would seem as if it's well kneaded and has taken shape after every addition but then after pulling or cutting it, the gooey(ness) returns. I thought that was the end but boy was I wrong. I covered it up for an hour and this dough didn't change size o. It refused to rise. Like it was hell-bent on making me cry that (mid)night. 30mins later, it was still the same way. And bear in mind I was doing all these in the dead of the night ( like that Kain 3 am o). I used a mixer to knead this time around and could you believe the mixer blew I up(the fuse I mean)??. Like if the dough could talk it sure would be saying "I get coconut head"

I have always enjoyed baking(in my mind) and the process of making all kinds of pastries (you can ask my YouTube feed, I don watch tutorial tire ehn), and I have a dream of making the world's biggest bakery with all kinds of pastries (I know, it's quite the lofty the dream) but with all that has happened ehn, e b like say the dream wan remain dream. So please, even if it would require the redpillers and feminists to form an alliance for my sake or heck, agree to a temporary ceasefire to bail me out. I beg you, come to my aid now.

MariahAngel(please kindly mention any other person who can be of help)

And also, how do you prevent the base from getting burnt? It's one of the problems I face a lot too.

First of all, your write-ups are always hilarious! grin
Secondly, never give up on your dream.

That said, the problem could be with the proportion of your ingredients...

Did you add too much fat (margarine/butter) to the flour?
Did you use enough yeast?
How do you measure your ingredients?
Too much fat could be the culprit...it weighs heavy on the dough and pulls it down

Akposy, what do you think is wrong with op's situation?

@Op, Don't give up on baking o...it gives the best feeling ever!

1 Like

Re: What's Wrong With My Bread by Akposy(m): 6:01pm On Feb 24, 2021
mariahAngel:

Too much fat could be the culprit...it weighs heavy on the dough and pulls it down

The OP wan kill me with laugh cheesy

OP should understand that we all fail to succeed one day. This is the true source of happiness.
I've been trying to make Mozarella cheese with no success for some time now. I'm getting frustrated. I've watched different videos, yet no way grin

...back to OP. I will share my recipe with you in my next post

1 Like

Re: What's Wrong With My Bread by Akposy(m): 6:14pm On Feb 24, 2021
Tadeknkeepcalm

I think there are so many errors with your bread making.

First, did you prove that yeast before using it? There are different kinds of yeast (Instant & Active dry yeast are the common ones). The ones you see them use in those online videos are Instant yeast...they don't need proofing. You can add directly to your ingredients.
For active dry yeast which is common in Nigeria, you have to proof it. This is how you proof your yeast; Assuming the recipe requires ½ tsp yeast, ½ and ¼ cups of milk or water and 3 tbsp sugar...here's is the step to proof:

If using water, mix your powdered milk with warm water (not too hot, your pinky finger should be used to test its warmness)
Add in your sugar and mix together.
Sprinkle the yeast over the sugar/milk water.
Cover with a lid or towel and allow to sit for 10 - 15 mins
After the said time, you will notice that the mixture is frothy (it foams kind of).
If the mix is not frothy, your yeast is dead! Get a fresh yeast.

Yeast are fungi in resting stage. The essence of proofing is to make them active/check if they are active.

I'm tired of typing jare

1 Like

Re: What's Wrong With My Bread by Nobody: 6:16pm On Feb 24, 2021
mariahAngel:

Thanks for the compliment.

I eye-gauged the same measurements as in the YouTube videos. But I will sure keep your advice in mind.

Any advice on the burning part?

Thanks. I really do appreciate it
Re: What's Wrong With My Bread by Nobody: 6:20pm On Feb 24, 2021
Akposy:
Tadeknkeepcalm

I think there are so many errors with your bread making.

First, did you prove that yeast before using it? There are different kinds of yeast (Instant & Active dry yeast are the common ones). The ones you see them use in those online videos are Instant yeast...they don't need proofing. You can add directly to your ingredients.
For active dry yeast which is common in Nigeria, you have to proof it. This is how you proof your yeast; Assuming the recipe requires ½ tsp yeast, ½ and ¼ cups of milk or water and 3 tbsp sugar...here's is the step to proof:

If using water, mix your powdered milk with warm water (not too hot, your pinky finger should be used to test its warmness)
Add in your sugar and mix together.
Sprinkle the yeast over the sugar/milk water.
Cover with a lid or towel and allow to sit for 10 - 15 mins
After the said time, you will notice that the mixture is frothy (it foams kind of).
If the mix is not frothy, your yeast is dead! Get a fresh yeast.

Yeast are fungi in resting stage. The essence of proofing is to make them active/check if they are active.

I'm tired of typing jare
shocked
Wow. What a boss.
My mum talked about the yeast probably dying too.
I've never had "proof" used in this sense. Thanks for educating me.

I will let you know how it turns out in my next melee.
Re: What's Wrong With My Bread by Nobody: 6:21pm On Feb 24, 2021
Akposy:

OP should understand that we all fail to succeed one day. This is the true source of happiness.
I've been trying to make Mozarella cheese with no success for some time now. I'm getting frustrated. I've watched different videos, yet no way grin

E no easy men
Re: What's Wrong With My Bread by mariahAngel(f): 6:32pm On Feb 24, 2021
Tadeknkeepcalm:

Thanks for the compliment.

I eye-gauged the same measurements as in the YouTube videos. But I will sure keep your advice in mind.

Any advice on the burning part?

Thanks. I really do appreciate it

What kind of oven did you use?
Electric, gas or local?

I think the burning part can be traced to too much heat...
Re: What's Wrong With My Bread by Akposy(m): 6:34pm On Feb 24, 2021
Tadeknkeepcalm:

shocked
Wow. What a boss.
My mum talked about the yeast probably dying too.
I've never had "proof" used in this sense. Thanks for educating me.

I will let you know how it turns out in my next melee.
Proof is a culinary term

Here's my recipe:
2 cups flour
½ tablespoon yeast
½ & ¼ cups warm milk or water
3 tablespoon sugar
3 - 4 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 egg
Pinch of salt
½ teaspoon nutmeg.

Proof your yeast using the sugar and warm milk/water. Check my earlier post for the steps
Add egg and the other ingredients to the proved yeast
Mix till they come together
Transfer to a floured surface and knead till the dough is smooth and elastic.
Cover in a warm place for about an hour or till it double it size. I cover mine and place under the sun.
After 1 hour, you'll notice the dough has doubled its size. Deflate with your fingers.
Transfer to a floured surface. Cut, knead a little and shape as desired.
Cover and allow to rise for about 30 mins.
After 30 mins, egg wash (use a brush to coat the dough)
Baked in a 180 degree Celsius preheated oven for about 20 - 25 mins.

Be careful with flour. Don't use excess

Attached is a picture of my sardine bread (Before and after). Ignore the cinnamon rolls

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's Wrong With My Bread by mariahAngel(f): 6:39pm On Feb 24, 2021
Akposy:

Proof is a culinary term

Here's my recipe:
2 cups flour
½ tablespoon yeast
3 tablespoon sugar
1 egg
Pinch of salt
½ teaspoon nutmeg.

Proof your yeast using the sugar and warm milk/water. Check my earlier post for the steps
Cover in a warm place for about an hour or till it double it size. I cover mine and place under the sun.
After 1 hour, you'll notice the dough has doubled its size. Deflate with your fingers.

Attached is a picture of my sardine bread (Before and after). Ignore the cinnamon rolls

Nice recipe Akposy.

I knew you'd be of help.

1 Like

Re: What's Wrong With My Bread by Nobody: 6:46pm On Feb 24, 2021
Akposy:

Proof is a culinary term

Here's my recipe:
2 cups flour
½ tablespoon yeast
3 tablespoon sugar
1 egg
Pinch of salt
½ teaspoon nutmeg.

Amazing. Looks really delicious.

I would be sure to follow your steps next. I guess I still have a lot to learn. You're a true chef sir.

I would let you know how it turns out. Thank you so much for your time sir

1 Like

Re: What's Wrong With My Bread by Akposy(m): 6:48pm On Feb 24, 2021
mariahAngel:

Nice recipe Akposy.
I knew you'd be of help.
Thanks
Re: What's Wrong With My Bread by Akposy(m): 6:49pm On Feb 24, 2021
Tadeknkeepcalm:

Amazing. Looks really delicious.

I would be sure to follow your steps next. I guess I still have a lot to learn. You're a true chef sir.

I would let you know how it turns out. Thank you so much for your time sir
Thanks you too
Re: What's Wrong With My Bread by Nobody: 6:49pm On Feb 24, 2021
mariahAngel:

What kind of oven did you use?
Electric, gas or local?

I think the burning part can be traced to too much heat...

Gas o

Re: What's Wrong With My Bread by mariahAngel(f): 7:12pm On Feb 24, 2021
Tadeknkeepcalm:

Gas o

At how many degrees did you set it?

Just so you know, YouTube doesn't help much if you don't know the basics.
They just put ingredients together with no measurement, and everything just comes out fine...to tell you the truth, it doesn't work that way.

In making my cakes, you know what helps me better than YouTube? Reading it up on the internet.
Re: What's Wrong With My Bread by Nobody: 7:20pm On Feb 24, 2021
mariahAngel:

At how many degrees did you set it?

Just so you know, YouTube doesn't help much if you don't know the basics.
They just put ingredients together with no measurement, and everything just comes out fine...to tell you the truth, it doesn't work that way.

In making my cakes, you know what helps me better than YouTube? Reading it up on the internet.

Ummmm

I kind of agree with you.

Thanks a lot ma

1 Like

Re: What's Wrong With My Bread by pocohantas(f): 8:33pm On Feb 24, 2021
Whatever is wrong with your bread, can’t be worse than wetin dey worry my puffpuff. Ordinary puffpuff o!

Once I try fry am, e go resemble rhombus. E no dey ever round. I have given up.
Re: What's Wrong With My Bread by Sterope(f): 9:02pm On Feb 24, 2021
Lets see your recipe

pocohantas:
Whatever is wrong with your bread, can’t be worse than wetin dey worry my puffpuff. Ordinary puffpuff o!

Re: What's Wrong With My Bread by pocohantas(f): 9:16pm On Feb 24, 2021
Sterope:

Lets see your recipe

I no fit remember am. It has been a while, I got the recipe online. grin
Re: What's Wrong With My Bread by mariahAngel(f): 9:32pm On Feb 24, 2021
pocohantas:

No give up!
You suppose fit nail puff-puff na.

One lady wey I dey follow for instagram, her puff-puff round dye!
I asked how she made it so perfect, she say na ice cream scoop she use.
Also, there's this batter dispenser that helps...

Me and puff-puff get scores to settle sef.
Re: What's Wrong With My Bread by Sterope(f): 9:49pm On Feb 24, 2021
Lmao.

Start with a thicker batter than the usual, let it rise, beat it down before frying.

pocohantas:

I no fit remember am. It has been a while, I got the recipe online. grin
Re: What's Wrong With My Bread by mariahAngel(f): 9:40pm On Feb 27, 2021
Akposy:

Hi Akposy...

I wanted to ask you about the bolded, then it skipped my mind.
Did you try it with fresh cow's milk?
Re: What's Wrong With My Bread by Akposy(m): 10:37pm On Feb 27, 2021
mariahAngel:

Hi Akposy...

I wanted to ask you about the bolded, then it skipped my mind.
Did you try it with fresh cow's milk?
Good evening.

I tried it twice with the normal fura da nunu (without the fura & sugar) sold by these Hausa women. It didn't work.
After my research, I discovered that the fura they sell is processed (high heated).

However, I ordered #300 freshly squeezed cow milk from one of these sellers. I'll pick up and try tomorrow
Re: What's Wrong With My Bread by mariahAngel(f): 1:57pm On Feb 28, 2021
Akposy:

Good evening.

I tried it twice with the normal fura da nunu (without the fura & sugar) sold by these Hausa women. It didn't work.
After my research, I discovered that the fura they sell is processed (high heated).

However, I ordered #300 freshly squeezed cow milk from one of these sellers. I'll pick up and try tomorrow

OK.

Let me know how it turns out...
Re: What's Wrong With My Bread by Akposy(m): 7:18pm On Feb 28, 2021
mariahAngel:

OK.

Let me know how it turns out...
Hello

I tried it this evening! It came out fine. However, it was not perfect but definitely worth it. I will mention you when I post it in my diary

1 Like

Re: What's Wrong With My Bread by mariahAngel(f): 7:44pm On Feb 28, 2021
Akposy:

Hello

I tried it this evening! It came out fine. However, it was not perfect but definitely worth it. I will mention you when I post it in my diary

Wow!
I've seen it, and I'm proud of you!

What did you use to curd the milk? Citric acid?
What are you going to make with it? Pizza?

You could be a major producer of cheese in Nigeria you know? grin

1 Like

Re: What's Wrong With My Bread by Akposy(m): 9:09pm On Feb 28, 2021
mariahAngel:

Wow!
I've seen it, and I'm proud of you!

What did you use to curd the milk? Citric acid?
What are you going to make with it? Pizza?

You could be a major producer of cheese in Nigeria you know? grin
Thanks
I used white vinegar and few drops of lemon juice...this was where I made mistake..the vinegar was too much, hence it "over curded". Since the milk was freshly harvested today, it will curd with little vinegar. I've learnt my lesson though.

Yes. I will try pizza for the first time and maybe a signature cookie.

Yes o cheesy
Re: What's Wrong With My Bread by mariahAngel(f): 9:59pm On Feb 28, 2021
Akposy:

Thanks
I used white vinegar and few drops of lemon juice...this was where I made mistake..the vinegar was too much, hence it "over curded". Since the milk was freshly harvested today, it will curd with little vinegar. I've learnt my lesson though.

Your cheese got me excited for reasons I can't understand grin

Yes. I will try pizza for the first time and maybe a signature cookie.

Yes o cheesy

Ok. Let me suggest this super simple Jamie Oliver's easy margherita pizza to you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4bphIdEc3E

When you make it, please let me know how it turns out.

1 Like

Re: What's Wrong With My Bread by Nobody: 6:43pm On Mar 09, 2021
MariahAngel
akposy
cry cry cry cry cry

It came out just fine.
Thank you so much ❤️

The kneading took time though and the base of the bread came out crusty, don't know if that can be fixed by using baking sheets

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What's Wrong With My Bread by mariahAngel(f): 11:47am On Mar 10, 2021
Tadeknkeepcalm:
MariahAngel
akposy
cry cry cry cry cry

It came out just fine.
Thank you so much ❤️

The kneading took time though and the base of the bread came out crusty, don't know if that can be fixed by using baking sheets

Wow!

Our bread rolls came out perfect.
Are those tears of joy? grin

You don't like it crusty?
Re: What's Wrong With My Bread by Nobody: 12:27pm On Mar 11, 2021
mariahAngel:

Wow!

Our bread rolls came out perfect.
Are those tears of joy? grin

You don't like it crusty?

Thank you so much ma

1 Like

Re: What's Wrong With My Bread by Akposy(m): 5:59pm On Mar 14, 2021
Tadeknkeepcalm:
MariahAngel
akposy
cry cry cry cry cry

It came out just fine.
Thank you so much ❤️

Awesome!
I'm so glad this came out well. I'm very sure you will do better next time.
I love bread like kilode

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lipton Tea Vs Other Tea / Check Out These Evil Carrot / SPRING ROLLS Recipe With Step-by-step Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.