Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,556 members, 7,861,636 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 04:00 PM

Is It Unscriptural To Marry More Than One Wife - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Unscriptural To Marry More Than One Wife (384 Views)

Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? / "Once Saved, Forever Saved": Wrong And Unscriptural! / 21 Reasons Why “praying For Your Enemies To Die” Is Unscriptural (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Unscriptural To Marry More Than One Wife by justfriends: 5:56am On Feb 26, 2021
A friend is just a little bit inquisitive and will want pastors and bible scholars in the house to pin point exactly were it was written in the bible that men shouldn't marry more than one wife.
He is contemplating marrying an additional wife because his present wife has develop a toxic behaviour and he wouldn't want to divorce her for now because of the children.
According to this friend of mine they have not had sex for more 2 years and the channel of communication has completely broken down because of her bad attitudes.
Please and please nobody should quote the passage that talks about a man and wom leaving their parents and becoming one as this passage of the bible did not address the issue at hand. Thank you in advance.
Re: Is It Unscriptural To Marry More Than One Wife by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:21am On Feb 26, 2021
There is no specific verse that says a man must not marry more than one wife it's the Christian principles that abhor polygamy!

All those who lived before Jesus Christ can't be judged base on this principle because they never heard the counseling that leads to everlasting life {Isaiah 9:6 compare to John 3:16} so they will be resurrected, God declared them righteous due to their fine works {James 2:22} but before they are ushered into everlasting life they must revert back to the standard God set IN THE BEGINNING which is one Adam one Eve! Matthew 19:4
May you have PEACE! smiley

justfriends:
A friend is just a little bit inquisitive and will want pastors and bible scholars in the house to pin point exactly were it was written in the bible that men shouldn't marry more than one wife.
He is contemplating marrying an additional wife because his present wife has develop a toxic behaviour and he wouldn't want to divorce her for now because of the children.
According to this friend of mine they have not had sex for more 2 years and the channel of communication has completely broken down because of her bad attitudes.
Please and please nobody should quote the passage that talks about a man and wom leaving their parents and becoming one as this passage of the bible did not address the issue at hand. Thank you in advance.
Re: Is It Unscriptural To Marry More Than One Wife by qwertyboss(m): 7:06am On Feb 26, 2021
MaxInDHouse:
There is no specific verse that says a man must not marry more than one wife it's the Christian principles that abhor polygamy!

All those who lived before Jesus Christ can't be judged base on this principle because they never heard the counseling that leads to everlasting life {Isaiah 9:6 compare to John 3:16} so they will be resurrected, God declared them righteous due to their fine works {James 2:22} but before they are ushered into everlasting life they must revert back to the standard God set IN THE BEGINNING which is one Adam one Eve! Matthew 19:4

one Adam and eve, in the real context mean to remain loyal to your partner, not to commit adultery.
Solomon has more than one wives, so David and Jacob...
keep on deceiving yourselves and many Christians women are no worst than public properties...
Re: Is It Unscriptural To Marry More Than One Wife by Freestainworld(m): 7:24am On Feb 26, 2021
That I want to remained married to my wife alone is my choice, I am a Christian but most of the things we preach are not even in line with the scripture, where was it written in the scripture to marry only one wife? so many great men in the bible married more than one wives but still walked righteously with God.
Re: Is It Unscriptural To Marry More Than One Wife by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:49am On Feb 26, 2021
You don't understand that all those who lived before John the baptist aren't Christians and they are not yet fit for everlasting life! Matthew 11:11-12 smiley

None of them worth to live forever until they are resurrected to comply with the standard God set in the beginning: ONE Adam and ONE Eve! Matthew 19:4

Unless Eve is equally allowed to take more than one man if not then all those who want to live in PARADISE where PEACE will reign undisturbed must comply with the standard ONE Adam and ONE Eve!

Just remind yourself of any who lived with more than one woman without serious marital issues {Romans 15:4 compared to 1Corinthians 10:11}
God promised us PEACE in PARADISE and God will not turn us to robots but for PEACE to reign we must comply FULLY with the standard he set IN THE BEGINNING! smiley

You are chatting with a Christian not a Churchgoer! smiley

qwertyboss:

one Adam and eve, in the real context mean to remain loyal to your partner, not to commit adultery.
Solomon has more than one wives, so David and Jacob...
keep on deceiving yourselves and many Christians women are no worst than public properties...
Re: Is It Unscriptural To Marry More Than One Wife by MaxInDHouse(m): 10:02am On Feb 26, 2021
The were great because they lived by what they knew as righteousness but after the Christ has come all of them has been found GUILTY of sin.
How?
They did so many things that Christ counseled Christians not to do and without believing in Christ no man can have Everlasting Life. John 3:16
That's why the Bible says they will alll be given 1,000 years for a second chance to fully comply with Christ's wonderful counsel or else they will perish! Revelations 20:5; 11-15

After the Born Again (who are all followers of Christ Jesus) has been resurrected FIRST they will not live in the flesh but they will become angels in heaven {Luke 20:34-36} the second resurrection will start with all those who are not Born Again Christians and they must work hard to meet up with Christian principles because they are going to live on earth NOT IN HEAVEN {Psalms 37:29; Matthew 5:5} therefore the standard God set for Adam and Eve (who lost the privilege to live forever on earth) must be complied with fully!

God bless you and may you have PEACE! smiley

Freestainworld:
That I want to remained married to my wife alone is my choice, I am a Christian but most of the things we preach are not even in line with the scripture, where was it written in the scripture to marry only one wife? so many great men in the bible married more than one wives but still walked righteously with God.
Re: Is It Unscriptural To Marry More Than One Wife by justfriends: 12:51pm On Feb 26, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

Assuming you are correct, tell me what then becomes the faith of King David, King Solomon, Isaac, Joseph and even Father Abraham of the bible. I asked because these characters have more than one wife.
Re: Is It Unscriptural To Marry More Than One Wife by justfriends: 12:54pm On Feb 26, 2021
MaxInDHouse:
You don't understand that all those who lived before John the baptist aren't Christians and they are not yet fit for everlasting life! Matthew 11:11-12 smiley

None of them worth to live forever until they are resurrected to comply with the standard God set in the beginning: ONE Adam and ONE Eve! Matthew 19:4

Unless Eve is equally allowed to take more than one man if not then all those who want to live in PARADISE where PEACE will reign undisturbed must comply with the standard ONE Adam and ONE Eve!

Just remind yourself of any who lived with more than one woman without serious marital issues {Romans 15:4 compared to 1Corinthians 10:11}
God promised us PEACE in PARADISE and God will not turn us to robots but for PEACE to reign we must comply FULLY with the standard he set IN THE BEGINNING! smiley

You are chatting with a Christian not a Churchgoer! smiley

My question still remains. Is it scriptural to marry more than one wife or not I will prefer a yes or no answer. Thanks in advance.
Re: Is It Unscriptural To Marry More Than One Wife by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:48pm On Feb 26, 2021
At death the marriage bond between a man and a woman is broken that's the meaning of the phrase "till death do us part" during the resurrection all these people will return to youths (not old men) {Job 33:25} so in Paradise they will surely remarry, by then they may choose to marry their old mates (if these ones still wish to continue with them) but then it will be one Adam (man) and one Eve (woman) just as God arranged it IN THE BEGINNING!
smiley

justfriends:

Assuming you are correct, tell me what then becomes the faith of King David, King Solomon, Isaac, Joseph and even Father Abraham of the bible. I asked because these characters have more than one wife.
Re: Is It Unscriptural To Marry More Than One Wife by Nobody: 3:54pm On Feb 26, 2021
justfriends:

My question still remains. Is it scriptural to marry more than one wife or not I will prefer a yes or no answer. Thanks in advance.
If U Av D Money & U Can Take Good Care Of Dem, Fine. B4 U Think Of Marrying 2, U Should Be Able To Take Care Of 1 1st.

1 Like

Re: Is It Unscriptural To Marry More Than One Wife by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:58pm On Feb 26, 2021
Are you a Christian?
Do you want to live forever in PARADISE?
If YES is your answer then it's unscriptural to marry more than one wife!
Note that regarding God's standard what Noah knew was lesser than that of Moses, what Peter knew was far more than that of Moses, that means (scripturally) each next generation knows better than the previous whoever wants to continue dwelling on what the past did due to their ignorance is surely derailing from the path to everlasting life! Matthew 5:43-45

justfriends:

Re: Is It Unscriptural To Marry More Than One Wife by Baitullah: 5:09pm On Feb 26, 2021
Truvel:
If U Av D Money & U Can Take Good Care Of Dem, Fine. B4 U Think Of Marrying 2, U Should Be Able To Take Care Of 1 1st.
On point though.

buy preferably, you should marry two when you are capable of taking care if three....just viewing logically

1 Like

Re: Is It Unscriptural To Marry More Than One Wife by Dtruthspeaker: 6:46pm On Feb 26, 2021
justfriends:

The Law is "He made them male and female" not male and females!

Based on the Law then the answer is No.
Re: Is It Unscriptural To Marry More Than One Wife by justfriends: 3:00am On Feb 27, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

If in actual truth he made them male and female, then why did Abraham, Isaac, moses and their likes married more than one wife
Re: Is It Unscriptural To Marry More Than One Wife by justfriends: 3:04am On Feb 27, 2021
MaxInDHouse:
Are you a Christian?
Do you want to live forever in PARADISE?
If YES is your answer then it's unscriptural to marry more than one wife!
Note that regarding God's standard what Noah knew was lesser than that of Moses, what Peter knew was far more than that of Moses, that means (scripturally) each next generation knows better than the previous whoever wants to continue dwelling on what the past did due to their ignorance is surely derailing from the path to everlasting life! Matthew 5:43-45

In all honesty, you have still not answered my question.
Re: Is It Unscriptural To Marry More Than One Wife by justfriends: 3:07am On Feb 27, 2021
MaxInDHouse:
At death the marriage bond between a man and a woman is broken that's the meaning of the phrase "till death do us part" during the resurrection all these people will return to youths (not old men) {Job 33:25} so in Paradise they will surely remarry, by then they may choose to marry their old mates (if these ones still wish to continue with them) but then it will be one Adam (man) and one Eve (woman) just as God arranged it IN THE BEGINNING!
smiley

Thanks. Are you saying that it doesn't matter the number of women you marry here on earth
Re: Is It Unscriptural To Marry More Than One Wife by obonujoker(m): 7:30am On Feb 27, 2021
Read Matt 19:4
Re: Is It Unscriptural To Marry More Than One Wife by MaxInDHouse(m): 8:29am On Feb 27, 2021
Jesus was preparing us for a crossover into Paradise {John 11:26} by the time God's Kingdom is here each man will live with just one woman!
Those who have died will be resurrected back to life as youths so they must remarry because at death their former marriage bond was broken, and they must revert to God's original plan IN THE BEGINNING one Adam and one Eve! Matthew 19:4
So no matter how many women or men a person had before his/her death in past (former) life is gone everything will become new when we all begin with a New Dawn in PARADISE! smiley

justfriends:

Thanks. Are you saying that it doesn't matter the number of women you marry here on earth
Re: Is It Unscriptural To Marry More Than One Wife by JourneytoEL(f): 8:46am On Feb 27, 2021
justfriends:

If in actual truth he made them male and female, then why did Abraham, Isaac, moses and their likes married more than one wife
are you sure you read your bible? abraham had only one wife, sarah, Hagar was a temporary concubine. He married Keturah after Sarah died. Isaac had only one wife Rebecca while Moses had only one wife Zipporah. There are other polygamists but certainly not the ones you mentioned. However, all these people are dear to God but they were not Christians. The christian disposition is to follow the initial rules before Adam fell, one of which include one male one female.
Re: Is It Unscriptural To Marry More Than One Wife by justfriends: 9:19am On Feb 27, 2021
JourneytoEL:
are you sure you read your bible? abraham had only one wife, sarah, Hagar was a temporary concubine. He married Keturah after Sarah died. Isaac had only one wife Rebecca while Moses had only one wife Zipporah. There are other polygamists but certainly not the ones you mentioned. However, all these people are dear to God but they were not Christians. The christian disposition is to follow the initial rules before Adam fell, one of which include one male one female.
What do you mean by Abraham had temporal a concubine That concubine like you called her borne Father Abraham is first child and son Whether moses had one wife or not, my understanding is that there is no where in the scripture were it was clearly stated that we shouldn't marry more than one wife.
Since you claimed that they were not christians, please show me in the new testament were it was categorically stated that christians should not marry more than one wife.
I stand to be corrected. What the bible stated was that we shouldn't covet our neighbors wife. Please, correct me if I am wrong.
Re: Is It Unscriptural To Marry More Than One Wife by Dtruthspeaker: 9:33am On Feb 27, 2021
justfriends:

Abraham and Moses had only one wife at each period of time and Isaac also had only one wife, it was Jacob who had 2 and why?

The answer is, in the interest of "just is" and of preventing the doing of a Wrong and the Doing of that Which is Good and fair that is the Exception.

The wisdom is One is better than 2 for most women are the same by my observation 98% close to 99% the same.

So if you had One bad wife already, most surely you are going to a second bad wife which amounts to 2 bad wives, which clearly shows that you do not love yourself for surely it is increased Troubles!
Re: Is It Unscriptural To Marry More Than One Wife by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:36am On Feb 27, 2021
In the New Testament! 1Timothy 3:2; Titus 1:6
You are not fully qualified to be called a Christian with more than one wife! smiley

justfriends:

What do you mean by Abraham had temporal a concubine That concubine like you called her borne Father Abraham is first child and son Whether moses had one wife or not, my understanding is that there is no where in the scripture were it was clearly stated that we shouldn't marry more than one wife.
Since you claimed that they were not christians, please show me in the new testament were it was categorically stated that christians should not marry more than one wife.
I stand to be corrected. What the bible stated was that we shouldn't covet our neighbors wife. Please, correct me if I am wrong.
Re: Is It Unscriptural To Marry More Than One Wife by BassReeves: 6:52pm On Mar 12, 2021
justfriends:

justfriends:

Dtruthspeaker:

Exodus 21:10
'If that son marries another woman, he must not deprive the first wife of food, clothes, or sex.
i.e. If a man takes a second wife, he must continue to give his first wife the same amount of food and clothing
and the same rights that she had before.
'
Re: Is It Unscriptural To Marry More Than One Wife by Dtruthspeaker: 10:20pm On Mar 12, 2021
BassReeves:

Exodus 21:10
'If that son marries another woman, he must not deprive the first wife of food, clothes, or sex.
i.e. If a man takes a second wife, he must continue to give his first wife the same amount of food and clothing
and the same rights that she had before.
'

I know this is Provided for, which is why I said God is Always in Support of Any and All Right and Good Things.

Thus, if it is on a reasonable and good ground, it can be done.

However, if you knew women, you would know that this is an impossibility (if not ask Abraham, Jacob, David and Solomon) for both women would surely be pulling against you to deprive the other, her natural good conscience due, hence you would be torn in pieces.

And you would thereafter come to the decision that 1 wife is better than 2, as others before you had Truly declared!

(1) (Reply)

Is Sabbath Saturday Or Sunday? Are We Obligated To Observe It? / What Are The Differences Between A God-given Dream And The Rest? / Demon Jumps On Man As He Calls Jesus Without Power - Tb Joshua

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.