Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,486 members, 7,836,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:17 PM

Materazzi Sues 3 Newspapers In U.k Over Zidane's World Cup Saga - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Materazzi Sues 3 Newspapers In U.k Over Zidane's World Cup Saga (1009 Views)

South Arica Wants To Replace Nigeria In U-20 Women W’cup / Nigeria Vs France: (3 - 5) On Pens In U-17 Women's World Cup 4th Oct 2012 / Yobo Sues Complete Sports Paper; Asks For N500m Damages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Materazzi Sues 3 Newspapers In U.k Over Zidane's World Cup Saga by topeorekoy(m): 7:03am On Jul 06, 2007
Italian footballer Marco Materazzi has begun libel proceedings in the UK over reports of insults made to Zinedine Zidane in the 2006 World Cup final.
Defender Materazzi was headbutted by Zidane, resulting in the Frenchman being sent off.

Materazzi is seeking damages at the High Court from the Sun, the Daily Mail and the Daily Star over claims about what the Italian had said to Zidane.

His lawyer, Steven Heffer, said: "He is taking legal action to clear his name."

Mr Heffer added: "Marco Materazzi is issuing claims in the High Court against three newspapers, the Sun, the Daily Mail and the Daily Star for damages for libel and an injunction.

'Enormous damage'

"He is left with no alternative as all three newspapers have failed to correct or apologise for their false reports of the incident.

"Marco has suffered enormous damage to his reputation as a result of the press reports."

Zidane, playing his last game before retiring from football, later claimed he was provoked after Materazzi had insulted his mother.

But Materazzi, who plays for Inter Milan, revealed that Zidane's sister was the subject.

"I was tugging his shirt, he said to me 'if you want my shirt so much I'll give it to you afterwards,' and I answered that I'd prefer his sister," he said.

Following the headbutting incident, in July 2006, Materazzi was handed a two-match ban from world governing body Fifa, while Zidane was banned for three games and fined £3,260.

Zidane has never specified what Materazzi said to him and has refused to apologise to his opponent.

source: BBC SPORTS

(1) (Reply)

Beach Soccer World Cup: Senegal Cheated From Winning Against Portugal / [EXCLUSIVE] Top Five Richest Nigerian Footballers [PHOTOS] / Live Score Chelsea Vs Real Sociedal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.