Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,054 members, 7,838,668 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:39 AM

How "Nkerehi Women" Protested Against The Law In Anambra (Photos) - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / How "Nkerehi Women" Protested Against The Law In Anambra (Photos) (20173 Views)

Williams Uchemba Traditional Wedding In Anambra (Photos, Videos) / E-Money Shows His House In Uli, Anambra (Photos) / Kcee Builds A House In Uli, Anambra (photos, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How "Nkerehi Women" Protested Against The Law In Anambra (Photos) by InvertedHammer: 9:26am On Feb 27, 2021
/
Sorry.
The problem is not as simple as stated. We know that Nigerian courts do the bidding of who oils their palms. This name change has resulted in unnecessary bloodshed and created IDP in otherwise a little community. The little town now has two factions: Nkerehi people remain the majority while the minority chose Umuchukwu. And within the Umuchukwu of probably less than 100,000 in population, the next igweship will create another big wahala. I wish them the best. Will those whose parents were killed forgive and forget?

I bet you this protest was out of fear of what will happen to them if the man sponsoring the opposition becomes the governor.

/

1 Like

Re: How "Nkerehi Women" Protested Against The Law In Anambra (Photos) by hisgrace090: 9:27am On Feb 27, 2021
Power that be in anambra at work.

Fear politics!
Re: How "Nkerehi Women" Protested Against The Law In Anambra (Photos) by apexJ(m): 9:29am On Feb 27, 2021
Rugaria:
Nkerehi was named after a deity! Just like Umuchu. One of their prominent sons, a doctor based overseas, who is responsible for all the developments happening in the community was in favor of the name change. He's now contesting for governor and all the village rats have combined with political evil forces from the outside to induce a confrontation between the people and their very hardworking son.. That is the background that the op is struggling to tell..
I don't want to banter words with anyone so please do the needful (proper investigation) then come back and give me feedback on while someone responsible for a communal conflict that resulted in the death of many innocent persons and also an irreparable rift between siblings should even

1 Like

Re: How "Nkerehi Women" Protested Against The Law In Anambra (Photos) by apexJ(m): 9:30am On Feb 27, 2021
Rugaria:
Nkerehi was named after a deity! Just like Umuchu. One of their prominent sons, a doctor based overseas, who is responsible for all the developments happening in the community was in favor of the name change. He's now contesting for governor and all the village rats have combined with political evil forces from the outside to induce a confrontation between the people and their very hardworking son.. That is the background that the op is struggling to tell..
I don't want to banter words with anyone so please do the needful (proper investigation) then come back and give me feedback on while someone responsible for a communal conflict that resulted in the death of many innocent persons and also an irreparable rift between family members should even contest for governor

1 Like

Re: How "Nkerehi Women" Protested Against The Law In Anambra (Photos) by Theevilone(m): 9:42am On Feb 27, 2021
Anambra / Nkerehi/Umuchukwu nawa oo, your own son is vying for governorship and you have to do this to distort his progress despite all he did for you and more to come when he became governor indeed you guys are too democratic.
Re: How "Nkerehi Women" Protested Against The Law In Anambra (Photos) by sinola(m): 9:56am On Feb 27, 2021
"he who blows the piper, dictates the tune''
When Dr. Maduka was single-handedly developing your entire town, you people did not fault him.
He only suggested that the name of the town ''Nkerehi' which is a name of an evil deity be changed to 'umuchukwu' which literally means ''children of God''.
I don't see anything wrong with that except if there is a political undertone or subverted interest involved which they are not telling us.
Last i checked ,Dr. Maduka is aspiring for gubernatorial post in Anambra state and maybe,i said maybe,forces against his political ambition are using his people against him.
For the benefit of the people that care to know what this young philatropist has done for his people in'Nkerehi'...
1.Maduka has invested over $40 million in various community development projects in Umuchukwu.
2.He built over 50 houses for the poor kinsmen, churches, market, schools, police station, police academy and college, post office, magistrate court and a high court for the Anambra State government, home for a home for the catholic priests and reverend sisters, a monastery.
3. He also built a 17-floor multiplex medical research centre in Umuchukwu (shown below).
4.He has also awarded full scholarships to hundreds of needy students in his town and all over Eastern Nigeria and donated a lot of money to help several communities around Nigeria.
5.He has given away a lot money in free grants in micro finance schemes to kinsmen to start several businesses…

The amazing thing is that this man despite all his success attributes nothing to his abilities but credits God for all that his life has become and all that he is doing.

3 Likes

Re: How "Nkerehi Women" Protested Against The Law In Anambra (Photos) by artboll(m): 10:11am On Feb 27, 2021
What was the result of the referendum
Re: How "Nkerehi Women" Protested Against The Law In Anambra (Photos) by Enyimbafc: 10:26am On Feb 27, 2021
LadySarah:
why would you change a beautiful community name you don't know the history and neither is it in any way your personal property nor harming you in anyway?

You just make statement like a kid,who told u nobody knows the history of that town before changing it's name.

2 Likes

Re: How "Nkerehi Women" Protested Against The Law In Anambra (Photos) by saintneo(m): 10:27am On Feb 27, 2021
Flexherbal:
Can we know why the name was changed, in the first place?

As I recall, Nkerehi is a name relating to the idol of the community and when the idol kept claims ng excessive dividends the people revolted and switched to christianity thus choosing UmuChukwu (Children of God); nonetheless, the Idol worshippers are not happy.

2 Likes

Re: How "Nkerehi Women" Protested Against The Law In Anambra (Photos) by aryzgreat: 10:54am On Feb 27, 2021
Flexherbal:
Can we know why the name was changed, in the first place?

Cos Nkerehi is a name of idol just like Ogun state.

They changed to Umuchukwu. (Children of God)
Re: How "Nkerehi Women" Protested Against The Law In Anambra (Photos) by Lovelyn451(f): 10:55am On Feb 27, 2021
nkerehi ke? we have nkelefi in my community, anambra and diff. dialects
Re: How "Nkerehi Women" Protested Against The Law In Anambra (Photos) by aryzgreat: 10:57am On Feb 27, 2021
artboll:
What was the result of the referendum

Majority opted for Umuchukwu
Re: How "Nkerehi Women" Protested Against The Law In Anambra (Photos) by redsun(m): 11:13am On Feb 27, 2021
Today's primitive Africans worry more about traditional names that genuinely meant something to their ancestors at their time, rather than worry about their mindsets that are not developing. They blame their gross irresponsibilities on all sorts of superstitious bullshits.

The women are smart.

1 Like

Re: How "Nkerehi Women" Protested Against The Law In Anambra (Photos) by africanusvu(m): 12:09pm On Feb 27, 2021
Sorry Mr poster,Dear chinua Achebe is never an author of any Igbo Bible rather a respectable novelist of Igbo extract
Re: How "Nkerehi Women" Protested Against The Law In Anambra (Photos) by amazon14: 10:32pm On Feb 27, 2021
Tcwork:

I read through your article. It's clear that like many nigerian, you do not understand human rights. And I don't blame you. The government has over time striped us of our rights that we don't even know what our rights are.
You were wrong to say..
"However, like every other human right, the right to protest or freedom of Assembly is not absolute. It has its limitations and when the bounds of the law is breached, it can be said to be illegal."
Just because you don't agree with the cause of a protest doesn't make it illegal. People should be free to Air their views even if you do not agree with their side of the story.
If nigeria would have a shot at freedom, then we must all change the way we think

Thank you very much. I was reading the article, but when came across "the women went on illegal protest" I stopped reading. The poster is pro Dr Maduka. What's annoying me about this is that the town is next to mine in Orumba south local government. Right from origin it had always been Nkerehi. Then this man Dr Maduka wake up one morning with his cronies decided to change the town name without consulting the people,cox he feels he has the money to do so.

You want to know, I'm from Ogbunka Orumba south local government. Thank you once again

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How "Nkerehi Women" Protested Against The Law In Anambra (Photos) by Roseey0(f): 3:04am On Feb 28, 2021
Why will they change community name in the first place.
Let them just go back to the name . It's just a name naw. Since 2008. Fighting for no just reason.
Re: How "Nkerehi Women" Protested Against The Law In Anambra (Photos) by Flexherbal(m): 6:34pm On Feb 28, 2021
aryzgreat:

Cos Nkerehi is a name of idol just like Ogun state.

They changed to Umuchukwu. (Children of God)

Wow!
Re: How "Nkerehi Women" Protested Against The Law In Anambra (Photos) by Flexherbal(m): 6:36pm On Feb 28, 2021
saintneo:

As I recall, Nkerehi is a name relating to the idol of the community and when the idol kept claims ng excessive dividends the people revolted and switched to christianity thus choosing UmuChukwu (Children of God); nonetheless, the Idol worshippers are not happy.

May the name with the highest votes win

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rosy Meurer Shares Throwback Pregnancy Photos / 2face Speaks Against Contraceptive Pill, Postinor / Joshua Iginla Helps Martins Njubuigbo With N1m For His Liver Disease Treatment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.