Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,285 members, 7,818,964 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:06 AM

Please HELP, How do I recover my money - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Please HELP, How do I recover my money (5487 Views)

Help: How Do I Greet A Neighbor That Just Gave Birth / Help!!! How Do I Change My Father's Mode Of Dressing. / Please Help: How Do You Find A Mother You Have Never Met (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please HELP, How do I recover my money by QuinModah(f): 10:08am On Mar 06, 2021
Please, HELP

Tenant A

He left with a balance of 50k with the control box of the pre-pair meter and imagine he (lawyer) went to collect the key of the apartment from the tenant and his telling me it's a bad debt, I should leave him for God. He doesn't even know where he relocated to, I was even the one that went to meet some of the boys in the area and bought few drinks for then and they told me where he relocated too

Tenant B
Had 6 months left on his tenancy agreement we took him to court, the court ruled in our favor for the tenant to pay 245k, he packed out without paying a DIME. Prior to this time, he (lawyer) assured me that the tenant will pay, saying that if doesn't pay the tenant property will be used to offset the debt owed.

In summary, =N=295,000 gone to bad debt.

Tenant C
has been owing since last year and I have a lawyer handling my property

Tenant D
Finally, I decided going forward due diligence MUST be carried out, he didn't do as instructed with Tenant D, he didn't visit his former house or his current office.

My mom is currently ill and I need money

Please, how do I handle it?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Please HELP, How do I recover my money by Nobody: 10:15am On Mar 06, 2021
You've done your best anty shukura
Tenant wahala if them start. AFI suuru.
My own is even worse. Three years chingbain. I was even begging him to leave sef. AFI suuru ni ooo. Ire
QuinModah:
Please, HELP

Tenant A

He left with a balance of 50k with the control box of the pre-pair meter and imagine he (lawyer) went to collect the key of the apartment from the tenant and his telling me it's a bad debt, I should leave him for God. He doesn't even know where he relocated to, I was even the one that went to meet some of the boys in the area and bought few drinks for then and they told me where he relocated too

Tenant B
Had 6 months left on his tenancy agreement we took him to court, the court ruled in our favor for the tenant to pay 245k, he packed out without paying a DIME. Prior to this time, he (lawyer) assured me that the tenant will pay, saying that if doesn't pay the tenant property will be used to offset the debt owed.

In summary, =N=295,000 gone to bad debt.

Tenant C
has been owing since last year and I have a lawyer handling my property

Tenant D
Finally, I decided going forward due diligence MUST be carried out, he didn't do as instructed with Tenant D, he didn't visit his former house or his current office.

My mom is currently ill and I need money

Please, how do I handle this situation?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please HELP, How do I recover my money by Leezah(f): 10:24am On Mar 06, 2021
MejiLoyon:
My own is even worse. Three years chingbain. I was even begging him to leave sef. AFI suuru ni ooo. Ire
Suuru for were! Joor joor joor! O je lo gba lawyer to ni werey Lori. Person owe you 3yrs and you still begging him to leave! Nigerian are very docile.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please HELP, How do I recover my money by Leezah(f): 10:29am On Mar 06, 2021
Op, the lawyer is incompetent or has not handle such property before or probably collecting behind your back and not even informing you.

1. The money has gone and cannot be recovered since he was not smart enough to block the tenant or seize his property maybe car or prevent him from leaving the compound. You should ask him to if he should leave his legal fees for God

2. You have to make him sit up by giving him an ultimatum that if these issues are not sorted out properly before the end of x time he seize to be the lawyer for the property

3. The current tenant owing you since last year, has he been owing before? If know, you could give him some time "covid" has impacted in may sector and sphere of our life. Many are currently on 50% pay, some were asked to either take a pay cut or resign

In summary, the lawyer has not been doing his job and you have allowed it to be so.

12 Likes

Re: Please HELP, How do I recover my money by Nobody: 10:33am On Mar 06, 2021
Leezah:
Suuru for were! Joor joor joor! O je lo gba lawyer to ni werey Lori. Person owe you 3yrs and you still begging him to leave! Nigerian are very docile.

Gbogbo wa KO la feran wahala
We went to court, oba of my town, and baales. He was singing the same song. That he went broke. And truly I know say he broke. He was doing well before. O sha ti KO lo last last. Suuru ni ooo

9 Likes

Re: Please HELP, How do I recover my money by QuinModah(f): 10:53am On Mar 06, 2021
MejiLoyon:

Gbogbo wa KO la feran wahala
We went to court, oba of my town, and baales. He was singing the same song. That he went broke. And truly I know say he broke. He was doing well before. O sha ti KO lo last last. Suuru ni ooo
Bro Meji, mo ma need owo. Maami sick mo de ni owo badly ati last year.
Re: Please HELP, How do I recover my money by 2special(m): 4:40pm On Mar 06, 2021
Double agent Lawyer, change him/her....

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Please HELP, How do I recover my money by IyaTola: 7:58am On Mar 07, 2021
2special:
Double agent Lawyer, change him/her....
how?
Re: Please HELP, How do I recover my money by 2special(m): 8:02am On Mar 07, 2021
IyaTola:
how?
The lawyer is serving both the landlord and tenant.
Re: Please HELP, How do I recover my money by IyaTola: 8:03am On Mar 07, 2021
2special:
The lawyer is serving both the landlord and tenant.
Please explain in details
Re: Please HELP, How do I recover my money by 2special(m): 8:09am On Mar 07, 2021
IyaTola:
Please explain in details
There are lawyer's that will be serving the landlord, collecting service charge from the Landlord and also meeting the tenant without the knowledge of the Landlord to collect money inorder to prolong the case in court.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please HELP, How do I recover my money by IyaTola: 8:11am On Mar 07, 2021
2special:
There are lawyer's that will be serving the landlord, collecting service charge from the Landlord and also meeting the tenant without the knowledge of the Landlord to collect money inorder to prolong the case in court.
hmmmm, but in this case, the court ruled innher favor but the lawyer didn't go after the tenant to receive the debt

1 Like

Re: Please HELP, How do I recover my money by 2special(m): 8:24am On Mar 07, 2021
IyaTola:
hmmmm, but in this case, the court ruled innher favor but the lawyer didn't go after the tenant to receive the debt
Probably the lawyer has been compromised by the tenant and it will be difficult for the lawyer to meet the tenant for the landlord money,mind you most of these judges are landlords and they know how mean some tenant's are, so winning the case in court may have nothing to do on how competent her lawyer is.....

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please HELP, How do I recover my money by NoToPile: 12:32pm On Mar 07, 2021
Tenant and Landlord palava.

It seems 8 out of 10 tenants will always cause problems.

Just yesterday mumsie was telling me one of her tenants refused to pay security levy for 2 years he has lived in the house he paid only 2 months out of 24 months and the CDA keeps harassing mum.

She asked him for this past februarys owm the guy come dey shout on mama head even saying mama is saying he's owing for 2 years, does she expect him to pay security levy during the covid lockdown shocked

His 6months rent that he even paid in arrears has expired since January 31st he did as if he doesnt know now common 700 naira per month security fee he no pay come dey do strong head.

I just told Iya to calm down , there are ways of dealing with people who don't have sense like him. Sebi he doesn't want to have sense.

When landlords are wicked, harsh and terrible I honestly don't blame them, the tenants taught them.

@ Topic I honestly can't count the amount bad debt on my mums property, you might just have to let it go as bad debt.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please HELP, How do I recover my money by lavylilly: 3:43pm On Mar 07, 2021
NoToPile:
Tenant and Landlord palava.

It seems 8 out of 10 tenants will always cause problems.

Just yesterday mumsie was telling me one of her tenants refused to pay security levy for 2 years he has lived in the house he paid only 2 months out of 24 months and the CDA keeps harassing mum.

She asked him for this past februarys owm the guy come dey shout on mama head even saying mama is saying he's owing for 2 years, does she expect him to pay security levy during the covid lockdown shocked

His 6months rent that he even paid in arrears has expired since January 31st he did as if he doesnt know now common 700 naira per month security fee he no pay come dey do strong head.

I just told Iya to calm down , there are ways of dealing with people who don't have sense like him. Sebi he doesn't want to have sense.

When landlords are wicked, harsh and terrible I honestly don't blame them, the tenants taught them.

@ Topic I honestly can't count the amount bad debt on my mums property, you might just have to let it go as bad debt.
How many bad debts would you leave, you see as a landlord you need to be firm with your lawyer and tenant, don't take nonesense.

As regards, your mum, you need to go meet that tenant and let him know your mom has a son.

@ topic FIRE him, get another competent lawyer, he just collecting legal fees FREE without doing his job.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please HELP, How do I recover my money by yazga: 6:04pm On Mar 07, 2021
Firstly there are lawyers and there are LAWYERS.

Secondly, you need to give them time, Nigeria just left recession in addition with coronavirus, it been tough.

From your description, you need to make your lawyer understand, it's a business and not Charity, make this very CLEAR terms to him

From what you have written you have made loss than profit not to mention cost of maintenance

Ask him questions, don't let him bambozle you with law jargons

In conclusion, the decision lies with you. Firing him as people mention here would not change the fact that you are still going to have tenant that will give you trouble, you have to ensure you do extensive due diligence.

What assurance do you have the next lawyer will not be worse off, the devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

2 Likes

Re: Please HELP, How do I recover my money by sirrotex: 10:03pm On Mar 07, 2021
Honestly this is the same position most landlord's find themselves in. The fault is from the tenancy law. The law is too lenient with the tenant to the detriment of the landlord. A tenant cannot live rent free in another person's property abroad and abscond.

I have always questioned why I should give a tenant whose rent has expired another 6 months notice. It's simply ridiculous. I have also questioned why the law states landlord's should not engage in self help when it does little to bring the tenant to justice.

Even where you go to court, the popular occurrence is that the magistrate would say you should give him time. Or the case would be unnecessarily prolonged. Though the law does not envisage a tenant living free in the Landlord's house, but the question is how are these judgment's enforced.

OP my advice is this, if your tenants are the type who operate bank accounts, you can start garnishee proceedings in the one where you got a favourable judgment. If he has money in his account, it would be given to you. I don't subscribe to enforcement by seizing personal property.

The suggestion for new tenants is to make their tenancy for a fixed term. It makes you liable to give them 7days upon default.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Please HELP, How do I recover my money by QuinModah(f): 2:54am On Mar 08, 2021
sirrotex:
Honestly this is the same position most landlord's find themselves in. The fault is from the tenancy law. The law is too lenient with the tenant to the detriment of the landlord. A tenant cannot live rent free in another person's property abroad and abscond.

I have always questioned why I should give a tenant whose rent has expired another 6 months notice. It's simply ridiculous. I have also questioned why the law states landlord's should not engage in self help when it does little to bring the tenant to justice.

Even where you go to court, the popular occurrence is that the magistrate would say you should give him time. Or the case would be unnecessarily prolonged. Though the law does not envisage a tenant living free in the Landlord's house, but the question is how are these judgment's enforced.

OP my advice is this if your tenants are the type who operate bank accounts, you can start garnishee proceedings in the one where you got a favourable judgment. If he has money in his account, it would be given to you. I don't subscribe to enforcement by seizing personal property.

The suggestion for new tenants is to make their tenancy for a fixed term. It makes you liable to give them 7days upon default.

The bolded you will have to invite ALL the banks to the court because the tenant wouldn't just give you his account details. In inviting them, I bear the cost, it not cheap, its very expensive.
Re: Please HELP, How do I recover my money by QuinModah(f): 2:55am On Mar 08, 2021
MejiLoyon:
Afi suru person owe me 5 years no pay anything, atimes one need to be go beserk on tenants.
Re: Please HELP, How do I recover my money by africaflozy(f): 6:53am On Mar 08, 2021
I hate tenant and landlord wahala. Reasons like this is what made me told my husband never to build house for renting purpose, instead, buy lands and sell them in future. Me I no get mind for walaha and he is a cool person too. That business is not just for us...

As lucrative as it is, bad people will ruin it for you...wicked tenants

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please HELP, How do I recover my money by Hamachi(f): 8:39am On Mar 08, 2021
africaflozy:
I hate tenant and landlord wahala. Reasons like this is what made me told my husband never to build house for renting purpose, instead, buy lands and sell them in future. Me I no get mind for walaha and he is a cool person too. That business is not just for us...

As lucrative as it is, bad people will ruin it for you...wicked tenants
There are bad people every where it is not peculiar to real estate business.
Re: Please HELP, How do I recover my money by sirrotex: 11:06am On Mar 08, 2021
Yes I am aware of the cost implications of this. The Court can grant you cost of the proceeding against the tenant. The big question is: would you meet money sufficient to recoup the rent and other expenses in the account?
QuinModah:
The bolded you will have to invite ALL the banks to the court because the tenant wouldn't just give you his account details. In inviting them, I bear the cost, it not cheap, its very expensive.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please HELP, How do I recover my money by yazga: 2:23pm On Mar 08, 2021
If you’re thinking of becoming a landlord as part of your retirement strategy, do the math first.

Buying homes, (maybe) fixing them up, and then renting them out is a popular investment for those seeking regular “passive” income after they’ve retired. (It’s seen as a route to wealth for many others, too). By some estimates there are between 8 million and 11 million private landlords in the Lagos. Many, no doubt, have had great experiences.

But private landlords on average earn lower returns on their money than those who just own real-estate investment trusts or REITs on the stock market.

Tenants are fickle and it takes just one bad one to sour the experience and shred your margins, especially given the eviction moratoriums we’ve seen.” Maintenance costs eat into profits. Factor in a legal battles and you could end up cash flow negative on an illiquid asset. That’s not good.

According to newspaper reports, nearly 47% of renters hadn’t paid their rent by the end of January 2021. That’s far higher than the rate a year earlier, just before the crisis hit, when it was barely 14%. The numbers may not seem huge. Research, points out two things that may not be immediately apparent.

Those looking for an easy life and safe, worry-free passive income in retirement might find better opportunities elsewhere.
Re: Please HELP, How do I recover my money by NgHotGirls: 2:52pm On Mar 08, 2021
sirrotex:
Yes I am aware of the cost implications of this. The Court can grant you cost of the proceeding against the tenant. The big question is: would you meet money sufficient to recoup the rent and other expenses in the account?
What if there is no money what happens?
Re: Please HELP, How do I recover my money by sirrotex: 2:57pm On Mar 08, 2021
The search continues
NgHotGirls:
What if there is no money what happens?
Re: Please HELP, How do I recover my money by NgHotGirls: 3:03pm On Mar 08, 2021
grin Wahala for who be landlord and tenant
sirrotex:
The search continues
Re: Please HELP, How do I recover my money by sisisioge: 9:13pm On Mar 08, 2021
Well....I dont have any tangible advice towards the money owed but to ensure you're safer in the future, change your lawyer and get more involved in the selection of future tenants. May mama be healed.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please HELP, How do I recover my money by yazga: 1:03pm On Mar 09, 2021
Whats funny?!
NgHotGirls:
grin Wahala for who be landlord and tenant
Re: Please HELP, How do I recover my money by LauraClasikVibe(f): 1:15pm On Mar 09, 2021
After so many yrs on social media, ONE key lesson I have learnt is NEVER to arrive at a conclusion based on hearing only ONE side of a story. We rarely highlight our own negligence, faults & culpability.

Wisdom demand we hear the other side as well.

Confirmation Bias kills objectivity

1 Like

Re: Please HELP, How do I recover my money by PeaceIlya: 8:55am On Mar 10, 2021
Spot on!
LauraClasikVibe:
After so many yrs on social media, ONE key lesson I have learnt is NEVER to arrive at a conclusion based on hearing only ONE side of a story. We rarely highlight our own negligence, faults & culpability.

Wisdom demand we hear the other side as well.

Confirmation Bias kills objectivity
Re: Please HELP, How do I recover my money by Zay24: 10:33am On Mar 10, 2021
There is nothing you can about the bad debt, next time when letting out your property make sure the tenant information section contain the tenant details about place of work, position, guarantor at place of work. if a tenant is not ready to give you such details please don't let out your property. work on the information given, ensure it real. let your lawyer prepare a sound tenancy agreement with them in case of breach of agreement, their work place is the first point of contact.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please HELP, How do I recover my money by lanre9ja(m): 11:21am On Mar 10, 2021
Aunty sukura..
Your lawyer is not doing is work well u have to set terget for him and tell me if he can meet up other lawyer will manage it correctly
Sometime madness can solve mad...

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Words On Marble / Fathering Sunday Is Here Again, / 32 Years Old Man And Still Staying With Parents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.