Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,550 members, 7,837,109 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:03 PM

Is MTN Or GTBANK At Fault Here? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is MTN Or GTBANK At Fault Here? (1195 Views)

Innoson Vs Gtbank: 30 Key Points To Know About Their Dispute / The War Between GTBank And Innoson Motors Explained By Adeyanju Deji / Innoson Vs GTBank: EFCC Arrests Innocent Chukwuma In Enugu (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is MTN Or GTBANK At Fault Here? by Dradetosinije: 1:15pm On Mar 07, 2021
Hello.
In November 2020 airtime purchase was made via my GTWORLD app.
I received a debt alert with a REFERENCE ID and also showing my the phone number said airtime was purchased for. And my available and book balance were debited. However I didn't receive the airtime, and still haven't.
I have made several complaints to GTBANK, but they claim that the airtime purchase was successful and the the reference number is proof of success, and that I should consult with MTN for further assistance.

On the other hand, MTN claim that they haven't received payment for the airtime and that the reference number is not proof that they received payment, but that it is just there for the banks to track transactions. They asked for my account number and reference ID to be forwarded by MTN to GTBANK so that my money will be reversed.
So, MTN refers me to GTBANK who then refers me back to MTN.
I do not know the technicalities of this I will like to know which of them is at fault.

N/B: before this transaction, I had bought 2000 airtime for my 9mobile line. The transaction had failed, but my book balance was 2000 naira more than my account balance. I had contacted GTBANK who told me that the fund was being held in a trust (account?) until the merchant claims it. And that after 48 hours, if the merchant(9mobile) hadn't claim the funds, the money would be reversed to my account. This exactly happened. My available balance was credited with 2000 naira to match my book balance.
Shouldn't this be the case if MTN is not in the wrong?

On the other hand, I never initiated the airtime purchase to my MTN line.
The 2000 naira with which I had tried to buy 9mobile airtime, after being reversed, was "automatically" used to buy N500 and N1500 airtime for my MTN line(I had bought MTN airtime the day before). The transactions occurred at 9:11 and 9:20am respectively. So GTBANK system at fault, or a rogue staff at work?

Please I will like to know who is at fault so that I can take further actions.
Thanks

Cc. Seun, Lalasticlala, Mynd44.
Re: Is MTN Or GTBANK At Fault Here? by harmargedon: 1:22pm On Mar 07, 2021
no one is. The money was debited and the network provider didn't receive anything. It's just a network problem. You have to tell MTN to send a proof to the bank that they didn't receive the money and the bank will refund you the money debited. The above should have been done automatically but because there was no proper handshake (communication) between the sending and receiving end, it was believed to be successful.
same thing happens when you use a POS. Sometimes you are debited but in your end the operator tells you that the network is bad, few seconds later you receive a debit alert. Most times the money wouldn't be returned automatically until you lay your complaint, then the bank has to verify from the operators bank if he was credited or not.
Re: Is MTN Or GTBANK At Fault Here? by Dradetosinije: 2:46pm On Mar 07, 2021
harmargedon:
no one is. The money was debited and the network provider didn't receive anything. It's just a network problem. You have to tell MTN to send a proof to the bank that they didn't receive the money and the bank will refund you the money debited. The above should have been done automatically but because there was no proper handshake (communication) between the sending and receiving end, it was believed to be successful.
same thing happens when you use a POS. Sometimes you are debited but in your end the operator tells you that the network is bad, few seconds later you receive a debit alert. Most times the money wouldn't be returned automatically until you lay your complaint, then the bank has to verify from the operators bank if he was credited or not.

I have made several complaints to GTBANK and also several complaints to MTN.
This issue occurred in November.
Like I said, MTN claimed they didn't receive the payment and they claim to have forwarded my account number and reference number several times to GTBANK for the money to be reversed
GTBANK has said that the payment to MTN was completed. And that MTN has to refund, if at all they do refunds.

This is not a network issue.
I have successfully bought airtime severally using GTWORLD since then.

I have ever gotten an airtime reference number when the airtime purchase failed?
Re: Is MTN Or GTBANK At Fault Here? by harmargedon: 2:52pm On Mar 07, 2021
Dradetosinije:

I have made several complaints to GTBANK and also several complaints to MTN.
This issue occurred in November.
Like I said, MTN claimed they didn't receive the payment and they claim to have forwarded my account number and reference number several times to GTBANK for the money to be reversed
GTBANK has said that the payment to MTN was completed. And that MTN has to refund, if at all they do refunds.

This is not a network issue.
I have successfully bought airtime severally using GTWORLD since then.
I bought data one time from MTN via USSD. MTN sent me a message of the recharge being successful but the data didn't appear. In your case, no one wants to admit that they are at fault.
Re: Is MTN Or GTBANK At Fault Here? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Mar 07, 2021
I experienced this always with my UBA and GLO line and when I call their customer fulfilment center, they will refund my money under 3 days.

I wonder why you are having such issues without solution
Re: Is MTN Or GTBANK At Fault Here? by Dradetosinije: 6:05pm On Mar 07, 2021
Lalasticlala pls move to frontpage.
Re: Is MTN Or GTBANK At Fault Here? by Dradetosinije: 11:19am On Mar 08, 2021

(1) (Reply)

SSN For Sale With Full Details, Driver's License And Credit Card / How To Earn Online / How Much Can Start A Betting Shop?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.