Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,464 members, 7,830,333 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:51 PM

How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK (1521 Views)

Kayan Mata, Cause Of Alarming Rate Of Divorce In Abuja, Other States / No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? / Unemployed Man Wins $273m Lotto Months After Divorce In US, Ex-Wife Reacts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK by ASUNDER: 4:03pm On Mar 07, 2021
My friend is currently going through a divorce in the UK and having a hell of a time. His wife mounted as many allegations on him as possible during separation - domestic violence, marital rape, child abuse, drugs and alcohol use, adultery, forgery just to name a few. He had to leave the house. He has moved to a room in a shared house and now even struggling to pay the rent. He does not see his kids anymore (not by choice). He is very broke and in debt because of all that is going on. He can no longer afford a lawyer. He feels so powerless, helpless and hopeless that he cannot fight most of what his wife is putting him through in court. He represents himself these days.

He has stopped looking after himself and is always looking sad . He also lost his job due to his arrest and all the drama. He was arrested because he tried to go see his kids at his former home and his wife called the police that she was afraid of him and that he had come to harass her. Police arrested him even without any traces of any harassment. Note that he moved out of the family house voluntarily thinking that the period of separation would ease tension between him and his wife.

I always feel sad seeing him in this state and just wish that he could recover and bounce back. He is considering moving back to Nigeria.

Have you gone through divorce in the UK or do you know anyone who has? What was the experience and what advice would you give someone going through this?

Thank you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK by Or11: 4:30pm On Mar 07, 2021
There's legal aid in UK so if it can't afford a lawyer, the govt will pay for one. If he can't afford to pay rent them he must have been a leech

3 Likes

Re: How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK by Angelacruz: 5:43pm On Mar 07, 2021
so sad...[img]

Re: How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK by thiagoteres(m): 7:06pm On Mar 07, 2021
Or11:
There's legal aid in UK so if it can't afford a lawyer, the govt will pay for one. If he can't afford to pay rent them he must have been a leech
What if he has no recourse to public fund?
Did you read where it was said he lost his job and he has spent on legal fees.
You don't need to be insensitive unless you know beyond what has been written by the OP.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK by Or11: 7:17pm On Mar 07, 2021
thiagoteres:

You don't need to be insensitive unless you know beyond what has been written by the OP.

If he doesn't have access to public funds then he is living there illegally. Losing his job is his fault too.

4 Likes

Re: How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK by sisisioge: 7:22pm On Mar 07, 2021
It is well...just advise him to stop contesting the terms of the divorce except to clear his name. I wish him goodluck.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK by thiagoteres(m): 7:29pm On Mar 07, 2021
Or11:

If he doesn't have access to public funds then he is living there illegally. Losing his job is his fault too.

I am going to presumed you have a settled status in the UK. For those still on visas, they have no recourse to public funds. It is also not unusual for him to be suspended from work pending the outcome of trial/investigation due to the the severity of the allegations.
@Op;i would suggest the person attempt to clear his name if he is innocent.There should be no room for sentiments while doing that and he should damn any consequences. Those allegations have already set in on the path of ruins and he should not allow any emotions cloud his judgement.
Re: How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK by Or11: 7:43pm On Mar 07, 2021
thiagoteres:

I am going to presumed you have a settled status in the UK. For those still on visas, they have no recourse to public funds. It is also not unusual for him to be suspended from work pending the outcome of trial/investigation due to the the severity of the allegations.
@Op;i would suggest the person attempt to clear his name if he is innocent.There should be no room for sentiments while doing that and he should damn any consequences. Those allegations have already set in on the path of ruins and he should not allow any emotions cloud his judgement.

It's not Nigeria where the workplace dabbles in personal matters. They will be sued. With regards settled status, I lived in UK with an expired travel visa for years and when I got arrested for driving offenses, I was provided with a solicitor through legal aid.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK by thiagoteres(m): 7:52pm On Mar 07, 2021
Or11:

It's not Nigeria where the workplace dabbles in personal matters. They will be sued. With regards settled status, I lived in UK with an expired travel visa for years and when I got arrested for driving offenses, I was provided with a solicitor through legal aid.
It depends on the kind of jobs. For jobs that involve working with vulnerable people there is little distinction between personal or work life. When he was arrested he would have been offered a solicitor before giving his statement but this does not extend to court hearings.
This guy is in deep shit. He is staring at a possible criminal conviction and even been placed on sex offender register. The trouble has not even started yet for him. He would need to clear his name if he is innocent. No point running when you are innocent.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK by Or11: 8:28pm On Mar 07, 2021
thiagoteres:

It depends on the kind of jobs. For jobs that involve working with vulnerable people there is little distinction between personal or work life. When he was arrested he would have been offered a solicitor before giving his statement but this does not extend to court hearings.
This guy is in deep shit. He is staring at a possible criminal conviction and even been placed on sex offender register. The trouble has not even started yet for him. He would need to clear his name if he is innocent. No point running when you are innocent.
The solicitor extends to court hearing, I have had many court appearances where I didn't pay shishi for lawyer. If just one of the allegations against him is true then he's doing time for sure. Man imagine a man with kids forging documents or even beating up the wife or raping her. I can recommend some good jails in UK so he just needs to turn himself in at the police station near those jails and he will be alright

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK by cococandy(f): 9:10pm On Mar 07, 2021
I hope your brother is innocent. I wish him fair justice.

Alcohol use and adultery are not crimes. I doubt he was charged to court with that. Seems exaggerated. She might accuse him of those, but no one will drag him to court for using alcohol or cheating.

However if he did physically abuse his kids & his wife, or if he forged anything relating to his paperwork to stay in and work in the country, then he’s in for a hard time. I hope he’s innocent of those allegations.

Marital rape might be very hard to prove.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK by Ishilove: 9:28pm On Mar 07, 2021
Na wa o
Re: How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK by Nobody: 9:36pm On Mar 07, 2021
Divorce first
Re: How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK by Ishilove: 9:43pm On Mar 07, 2021
MejiLoyon:
Divorce first
The divorce part no easy. It's not like here where you can tell your partner to geddifok and the extended family will handle the rest of the divorce proceedings. No, in the west, the system will drag you by your balls while you scream for mercy. They will squeeze those balls until your voice turns soprano

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK by Nobody: 10:04pm On Mar 07, 2021
Ishilove:

The divorce part no easy. It's not like here where you can tell your partner to geddifok and the extended family will handle the rest of the divorce proceedings. No, in the west, the system will drag you by your balls while you scream for mercy. They will squeeze those balls until your voice turns soprano
Ishilove..
Re: How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK by Ishilove: 10:12pm On Mar 07, 2021
MejiLoyon:

Ishilove...
Shit happens but we use it as manure to grow. The heart is malleable, you know, and time heals most wounds. Most

We grow, we learn and we move on, and here you are writing stuff on Nairaland for fun. Just for laughs. smiley

The heart is malleable indeedy.
Re: How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK by Hathor5(f): 10:22pm On Mar 07, 2021
Ishilove:

grin

2 Likes

Re: How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK by Nobody: 10:45pm On Mar 07, 2021
Ishilove:

Shit happens but we use it as manure to grow. The heart is malleable, you know, and time heals most wounds. Most

We grow, we learn and we move on, and here you are writing stuff on Nairaland for fun. Just for laughs. smiley

The heart is malleable indeedy.
Some things can't be said on a public forum no matter how anonymous it is. So I'll have to agree with you.
Re: How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK by AwesomeStormy00(m): 10:57pm On Mar 07, 2021
ASUNDER:
My friend is currently going through a divorce in the UK and having a hell of a time. His wife mounted as many allegations on him as possible during separation - domestic violence, marital rape, child abuse, drugs and alcohol use, adultery, forgery just to name a few. He had to leave the house. He has moved to a room in a shared house and now even struggling to pay the rent. He does not see his kids anymore (not by choice). He is very broke and in debt because of all that is going on. He can no longer afford a lawyer. He feels so powerless, helpless and hopeless that he cannot fight most of what his wife is putting him through in court. He represents himself these days.

He has stopped looking after himself and is always looking sad . He also lost his job due to his arrest and all the drama. He was arrested because he tried to go see his kids at his former home and his wife called the police that she was afraid of him and that he had come to harass her. Police arrested him even without any traces of any harassment. Note that he moved out of the family house voluntarily thinking that the period of separation would ease tension between him and his wife.

I always feel sad seeing him in this state and just wish that he could recover and bounce back. He is considering moving back to Nigeria.

Have you gone through divorce in the UK or do you know anyone who has? What was the experience and what advice would you give someone going through this?

Thank you.

I am beginning to think that some stories on this forum is fake. He can't afford a lawyer? Where is citizen advice bureau? What you didn't tell us is where is your mate wife from white or African because 8 out of 10 white lady wont do all the pictures you've painted especial seeing his kids. Where is legal aid? Too good to be true story. He can take time off work unless he is agency worker his company cant sacked him cuz he was arrested

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK by AwesomeStormy00(m): 10:59pm On Mar 07, 2021
ASUNDER:

Thank you.

Council do put people in a house benefit hostel all what u post here is too good to be true

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK by AwesomeStormy00(m): 11:01pm On Mar 07, 2021
thiagoteres:

He is not insensitive you aren't the only one in uk call citizens advice bureau tomorrow they are there help even if he doesn't have documents they are going to help

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK by AwesomeStormy00(m): 11:03pm On Mar 07, 2021
Or11:

He is in uk illegally but he has kids with this woman so how can he not use his kids legal status to renew his document

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK by ASUNDER: 11:04pm On Mar 07, 2021
Citizens advice bureau give free divorce lawyers? In this same UK where I live? Are you kidding me bro?
Re: How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK by ASUNDER: 11:06pm On Mar 07, 2021
AwesomeStormy00:

He is in uk illegally but he has kids with this woman so how can he not use his kids legal status to renew his document
He is legal.
Re: How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK by AwesomeStormy00(m): 11:09pm On Mar 07, 2021
ASUNDER:
Citizens advice bureau give free divorce lawyers? In this same UK where I live? Are you kidding me bro?

I don't know but one ca get advice through citizens advice bureau and one can get legal aid too. Some of us live here and we all know how things work.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK by Nobody: 11:11pm On Mar 07, 2021
ASUNDER:
My friend is currently going through a divorce in the UK and having a hell of a time. His wife mounted as many allegations on him as possible during separation - domestic violence, marital rape, child abuse, drugs and alcohol use, adultery, forgery
All these in one man, or is she out to destroy him? She must have evidence of these allegations, to have made them. However, if he's innocent, then he shouldn't lose hope but should get himself a good Lawyer.
Re: How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK by Ishilove: 11:14pm On Mar 07, 2021
MejiLoyon:

Some things can't be said on a public forum no matter how anonymous it is. So I'll have to agree with you.
Wanna share off the forum? I have a saviour complex cheesy
Re: How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK by mutter(f): 11:49pm On Mar 07, 2021
It's normal to have financial setbacks during a separation but don't worry hell be able to stand on his fit again.
As long as he is willing to.
He should not make so much stress about the children since it is going this way.
Re: How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK by budaatum: 12:30am On Mar 08, 2021
thiagoteres:

He should be entitled to income support and housing benefit, as well as legal aid.

He was arrested because he tried to go see his kids at his former home and his wife called the police that she was afraid of him and that he had come to harass her.

What he should not have done is go and visit his children without the court's permission. By doing so and getting arrested, he has stupidly provided evidence for his wife's claim of harassment!
Re: How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK by budaatum: 12:31am On Mar 08, 2021
ASUNDER:

No, he is not kidding you bro. He should get legal aid too to pay for a lawyer.
Re: How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK by budaatum: 12:34am On Mar 08, 2021
Or11:

The solicitor extends to court hearing, I have had many court appearances where I didn't pay shishi for lawyer. If just one of the allegations against him is true then he's doing time for sure. Man imagine a man with kids forging documents or even beating up the wife or raping her. I can recommend some good jails in UK so he just needs to turn himself in at the police station near those jails and he will be alright

Lol!
Re: How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK by eyinjuege: 12:59am On Mar 08, 2021
ASUNDER:

His problem pass divorce issue please.
He is being accused of child abuse and marital rape. All criminal offences. He was also arrested when he went to see his children. An altercation must have ensued or he went there after the court told him not to do so, otherwise he wouldn't have been arrested.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

When Has Making Babies Become A Do Or Die Affair? / Advice Needed - What Do To With A Stubborn Wife Who Will Never Change Her Ways / My Horrible First Time Sex Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.